N00b-question: start playing Subnautica now, or wait until later?

CaptainAwesomeCaptainAwesome Sweden, EU Join Date: 2015-12-16 Member: 210023Members
Topic says it all, guys - I just bought Subnautica on Steam, but I'm not sure when to actually board the train (boat) and start playing. Each new update makes me super-excited to start trying it out, but at the same time I can't help thinking it will be like playing through one big spoiler since the full game isn't out yet (and likely won't be in any foreseeable future).

So to all of you who are experience Subnautica-players: given that you had the choice today, would you have waited for the game to reach a more mature state before you started playing it, or would you have started playing Subnautica at the point in time when you first laid your hands on it?

Comments

• BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    I used to play a lot but since they released only small updates, i have stopped playing the game and i'm waiting for more content.

It's up to you.
    It seems you are following the updates so you already know what is in the game and starting the game now won't do any harm.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    yes play the game just came out with some thing new
  • CaptainAwesomeCaptainAwesome Sweden, EU Join Date: 2015-12-16 Member: 210023Members
    Bale wrote: »
    I used to play a lot but since they released only small updates, i have stopped playing the game and i'm waiting for more content.
    yes play the game just came out with some thing new

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Bale - may I please ask you why you have temporarily stopped playing Subnautica? Are you waiting for something in particular that you think I should know of? ^_^
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited December 2015
    I play the game as much as I can, except now the newest update doesn't work!

So play it as soon as I laid my hands on it!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I play it in waves because content while awesome is low. Because its alpha.
    So I run out of content and get bored. Im usually using features. Im not actively looking at the whole world in detail. Keeps it fresh every time if I get lost, even if it would be released. (id say I only know parts of safe shallows quite well as well as one other area.)

So yes you can play it but expect to run out stuff to do. If you remember everything in detail, prepare to be spoiled more on updates then I am.
    Still its a nice game even in alpha and feedback can be golden. ;)
  • CaptainAwesomeCaptainAwesome Sweden, EU Join Date: 2015-12-16 Member: 210023Members
    SPIRIN1224 - thanks.

DC_Darkling - I appreciate your personal thoughts, and from what I understand of your description it seems like Subnautica still is in a state that could be described as more alpha than beta (that conclusion is being supported by the latest update, hinting at a tech tree that is far from complete and - accordingly - that there is basically no end-game at all right now).

Anyway, I can't wait for the production to get further! Unknownworlds - please keep up the great work! ^_^
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    If you've purchased it already then it would be a waste of money not to play it. Play it now. Although it is only early access at the moment it's still better than many completed games.
    Myrm wrote: »
    If you've purchased it already then it would be a waste of money not to play it. Play it now. Although it is only early access at the moment it's still better than many completed games.

Well, you would certaintly waste your money if you bought Subnautica and never played it. That isn't really the concern or issue here, although I agree with you. Also - it's good to hear that you enjoy the game in its current state!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ow what we have NOW is enjoyable. Just, you run out of content. ^^
    Ow what we have NOW is enjoyable. Just, you run out of content. ^^

Which was kind of my point ^_^. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the game as-is, but from what I understand of everyone kind enough to share their thoughts about what Subnautica is right now, it's more of an open-world sandbox without any particular goals (other than to have fun building bases), and less about an actual endgame.

As much as I am tempted to have a go at the game right now, I'll give it some more development time before I jump into the drink!
    Aye.. also you have to start over from time to time.
    Alpha builds do not guarantee that your savegames stay compatible.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    According to my steam stats , Subnautica provides approximately 21 hours of content. You can get more mileage out of it if you search absolutely everything and build seabases in multiple places , but not more than 30 hours per run.

It depends how many times you're willing to start over , which for me would be just once or twice. Thankfully the main branch allows you to upgrade your saves , to discover new content while keeping your progress.
  • ScaNScaN Netherlands Join Date: 2015-10-07 Member: 208342Members

At the start you'll be super excited. Wow! Look at the size of this planet. Look at how awesome it looks. Wow! Did you see that thing explode!!? And you start exploring, gather up materials. Discover new locations. Go deeper and deeper. Then you find new plans, build your Seamoth.

Your base is becoming bigger and bigger, and more shiney and awesome with glass corridors and a moonpool. You feel like this is the most awesome game you ever played. And then your base is complete.. and you start to wonder what to do now?

Sure you can jump in your Seamoth and explore... but after you've seen most of the biomes... so you decide to build a secondary base somewhere.. but it's not as awesome as your first one. And then you realize that you are done. There's nothing more to do.

It leaves one desiring for more, but there isn't any... and then you are like... okay... I built my base, it looks awesome, I've seen all the biomes... there's nothing there I can use. And then... it's just you in your awesome, yet very empty and lonely base....

Noone to talk to, exept the fish in your tank... no goals... no challenge...

And then you are like: "Meh.... I guess I need to wait for more content"

So... here I am.. waiting for more content.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    I play the game as much as I can, except now the newest update doesn't work!

So play it as soon as I laid my hands on it!

The new update works fine
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    using mac, and using it I guess, how you say 'cracked'?

Have a thread on that

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139652/game-crashes-at-startup#latest
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2015
    All of the game's content can be achieved in roughly 15-20hrs, which is already nice within itself for an Early Access game. But if youre like me and love to explore alot and build many seabases then the game basically never ends. what sold me to Subnautica is the game's beauty, mainly. On highest graphics (if your computer can afford it) its litterally the most beautiful underwater game ive ever seen. I never tire myself to roam the biomes inside my seamoth and gaze at the beautiful flora, reefs and bottom-sea landscapes. The crafting system is awesome as well and very user-friendly. I love to go hunt for food but if its not your thing you can create a save in a game mode that disables food/water consumption.

I also love to load up a save just after an update (or create a new game) and observe the changes made! ''Ohhh, this area contains lithium now!'' or ''woah, what a beautiful Biome this is!'' Im usually not the type of person thats easy to impress in a videogame and i very rarely play a game in Early access status, but since i have a thing for the underwater regions this game got me completely. Best 20$ ive ever spent on a videogame by far
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I have not played in roughly three months. I got very bored. I know its alpha and nowhere near complete, but playing to the limits of the development every time a tidbit is added, really sucks the entertainment value from the game. Also, I got frustrated, having to start a new game and lose all my progression when new content was added. So I figured I would wrap my brain in another game and forget about SN for a while. I just played a little a few nights ago. Disappointed to see the fabricator still gets stuck in build mode and wont release item, AFTER THREE MONTHS OF NOT PLAYING.