[BUG] Construction Issues (Items and Machines) [Build 25416 Nov-2015] ***UPDATED***

Halo_NothingHalo_Nothing USA Join Date: 2015-12-10 Member: 209854Members
edited December 2015 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Firstly, I did try to do a search for similar issues, but I didn't find any of this kind pertaining to this build (though I will admit I only did a cursory search). I love this game so far, but I've experience some issues that make it very difficult to expand and explore (or enjoy the game as it seems it was meant to).

Item 1.

I first noticed issues when I tried to drop a small storage box inside the Escape Pod and I could not. I was initially attempting what I had seen in a game play video (dropping items on the floor of the Escape Pod) and found that I couldn't. The message told me to use storage boxes instead, so I made a storage box and the game is treating like an item saying that I could not drop it inside the Escape Pod and that I needed to use storage box instead.

Item 2.

Since I couldn't use the small storage box inside the Escape Pod, I tried dropping it outside and quickly found that if slides freely around on any surface (foundation or ground) for no apparent reason. My contained items would just drift indefinitely and I had to constantly push them back to position. Digging a low point in the sand to keep them together worked up to a point but not very well. I understand them being subject to currents/tides/being pushed physically, but as it stands right now it's as if the box is friction-less.

Item 3.

To attempt to work around these issues, I constructed a small base as a test (less than 15 meters deep). I used a foundation, 1 room, and 1 hatch. All build and placed alright (though it was odd that the room could not snap to the center of the foundation - I don't know if that was intentional or not). Once inside I found that I could only place the Fabricator on one specific wall it would not snap anywhere else (base is powered by two solar panels that were able to snap to the foundation). So I placed the fabricator on the only place the game would allow me to. I then placed a Fragment Analyzer beneath it with no problem (though I didn't check to see if it would let me place it anywhere else since this is where I wanted to place it anyway). Next I tried to place a Storage Locker, and found I could not place the locker anywhere. I checked inside and outside, I cannot place a locker anywhere in the world. When I deconstructed the Fabricator, and tried relocate it I could not. I suddenly could not place it anywhere either.

Item 4.

After my first game, the Crash stopped leaving Crash Powder after it deployed it's little fishbomb, so now there is no way to get Crash Powder... so I am not able to make the welder.
- Done intentionally to make the resource availability random-ish, got it!

Item 5.

It seems that certain blueprints appear and disappear each time I start a new game. In the most recent game I started, I have no way to make the SeaGlide... it's not even an option on the fabricator (have no idea if these items are on a random factor like the starting supplies in the Escape Pod or not).
- Turns out this was a "Layer 8" issue, I didn't fully understand when the fabricator would acknowledge the presence of an item to craft.

---

In case this helps I am including my system specs:

Sony Vaio SVE14A27CXH

Processor Type
Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM Processor Technology Quad Core

Processor Speed 2.20GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.20GHz

Processor Cache
6MB

Installed Memory
8GB (4GB x 2)

Memory Type/Speed
DDR3/1600MHz

Graphics Processor
AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M

Graphics Technology
Hybrid Graphics

Graphics Video RAM
2GB dedicated

Recently Upgraded to Windows 10 (all updated drivers installed).

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    #1 & 2. Agreed.
    Also, the storage pod is basically worthless. With the larger sized lockers at about the same price, there is no need for it.
    #3. I've never seen the fabricator placement problem. Hmm.
    #4. Crash powder production is illusively random. Sometimes you have to find 20 crash pods before you find the powder. Other times, you find it right away. They are all over.
    #5. The only time I've heard of this happening (for blueprints) is when people have had a save game across releases, and the release modified how the blueprint works. However, the game does forget other stuff even now- so don't know for certain.
  • Halo_NothingHalo_Nothing USA Join Date: 2015-12-10 Member: 209854Members
    edited December 2015
    Thank you for your input sir. As a follow up to #3 (placement of objects in the base): After starting several new games, I again attempted to place a room on a foundation and subsequently storage and equipment inside. This time, the placement was only buggy in certain areas of the room, which again seems odd. Just for kicks I went outside and dug up some sand under the foundation that I though was too close to the foundation. Oddly enough I was able to place more in the room where I couldn't before. Perhaps an issue with the ground not clearing out totally and interfering with construction placement in the base?

I do agree that the small storage box is not very useful, but it was all I had to work with when I couldn't place a locker anywhere.
  • Halo_NothingHalo_Nothing USA Join Date: 2015-12-10 Member: 209854Members
    edited December 2015
    Another follow up... to #3 (placement of objects in the base): I was hoping that somehow the ground beneath the foundation causing some kind of interference with the snap field, but my tests results were inconsistent. After removing a sizable chunk of soil from under it, there would still be seemingly random spots in the room where things would not place. I would then restore to the previous save and do it again. Often the areas where I could not place objects would change. The final attempt I made, I removed no dirt at all (as I had previous tests) only to find that I could place objects in areas of the room I could not before (before testing the theory that is). If this helps anyone at all, troubleshoot and resolve this issue for the next patch... then it was worth the time.

But even still, this is a phenomenal game, thank you for the early access.