Loading Times

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Loading times can be a bit of a pain in Subnautica, as there are so many assets to load.

While I understand the current loading screen is a placeholder, I'd like to make a suggestion.

As @Sewlek is on the team, and with him his love for making mini-games, and that Namco patent blocking mini-games on load has now expired, I see an opportunity for Subnautica to solve it's loading time issues (and in fact allow them to increase significantly due to game playing), and take a lead in removing the dreaded loading screen from computer games.

What do you say @Hugh?

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    To be honest I have never noticed an issue with the loading screen times. I have never seen it take much time. I don't think it's an issue.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    I CERTAINLY have!

Takes like 5-8 mins on windows

1.30-5 on mac

P.S. If not mini game at least a loading bar/assets are listed.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    subnautica is already a bit high on memory usage.. Do we really want to add to that with minigames?

TO be honest, I prefer a lot more that the coders focus on performance in general.
    5-8 minutes!!! :anguished:

I thought I'd check it out on my labtop. Starting a stopwatch from the second I press the launch button on Steam, selecting the resolution and selecting a load game, it took 1 min 39.18 seconds to launch Subnautica.

I do notice some stuttering of gameplay every 20 seconds or so, especially around heavy graphic areas when I play, which is flipping annoying, but I have never experienced as long loading times as you claim. I'd have given up.
    subnautica is already a bit high on memory usage.. Do we really want to add to that with minigames?

TO be honest, I prefer a lot more that the coders focus on performance in general.

100% agree!
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Loading times can be a bit of a pain in Subnautica, as there are so many assets to load.

While I understand the current loading screen is a placeholder, I'd like to make a suggestion.

As @Sewlek is on the team, and with him his love for making mini-games, and that Namco patent blocking mini-games on load has now expired, I see an opportunity for Subnautica to solve it's loading time issues (and in fact allow them to increase significantly due to game playing), and take a lead in removing the dreaded loading screen from computer games.

What do you say @Hugh?

Loading times have been reduced compared to previous builds. Also, its being worked on. I recall Obraxis telling me this will replace the loading screen, or game will be loaded as it goes on

Other than that, it only takes my SSD/9590/16GB ram-- 12 seconds to load the game when I press New Game - Survival
    and 4 seconds to get to main menu from configuration menu

What are you guys using?? toasters!?! :tongue:
    Luitjens wrote: »

What do you say @Hugh?

Loading times have been reduced compared to previous builds. Also, its being worked on. I recall Obraxis telling me this will replace the loading screen, or game will be loaded as it goes on

Other than that, it only takes my SSD/9590/16GB ram-- 12 seconds to load the game when I press New Game - Survival

Sheesh man, where're not all rich :) JK

On portable computers this is a legitimate concern.

Which is what I'm using.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    Luitjens wrote: »

What do you say @Hugh?

Sheesh man, where're not all rich :) JK

On portable computers this is a legitimate concern.

Which is what I'm using.

Ha! Yea, my PC is pretty much budget, that processor is 200, ram 100, SSD 100?, gpu 300(970), mobo 100~ so about 800-1k for my PC right now-- portable laptop with a decent GFX card to run Subnautica is more expensive.. I think
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    This has been fixed in experimental recently!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

LOL, the minigame is only played on the loading screen, once the game is loaded, the mini game is unloaded, it doesn't exist within the game. It's something to do while the game is loading.

And while loading times are not that great currently, they certainly will be once all the content is added.
    Still it would be nice to have something to see while passing the time. Progress bar could be cool.

BETTER YET!!! Have a video shown while the assets are in position like the intro video perhaps!!! Even like an orbiting Aurora around a planet and suddenly a explosion and you see it falling towards ocean, then greys out to start the game!
    All the while there is a little blue bar underneath that tells you where the game is at loading the assets (little blue loading bar)!!!!

Thoughts Comments, I actually kind of like this idea. Since it's just maybe 4 assets, and could be run besides game.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Subnautica loads in about 10 seconds for me, and about 20 seconds on my laptop.

What kind of specs are you getting the 5 min load times on? It's possible you might need to defrag your hard drive.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    It takes about half a minute to a minute for me. And i'm totally okay with this, since it only loads at the beginning. If it'd be a game that needs to reload each and every stone every five seconds i would understand. But even 5 Minutes i find acceptable... i'm used to far worse.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Obraxis wrote: »

What kind of specs are you getting the 5 min load times on? It's possible you might need to defrag your hard drive.

That kind of advice is very dangerous to be throwing around when you don't know what system someone is running. ;)

If I followed your advice blindly, which people without the IT experience I have could well do, I could be sitting here complaining about how my shiny SSD is now not working properly after following your advice..
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »

That kind of advice is very dangerous to be throwing around when you don't know what system someone is running. ;)

If I followed your advice blindly, which people without the IT experience I have could well do, I could be sitting here complaining about how my shiny SSD is now not working properly after following your advice..

I only said 'it's possible'. Not that they should. I have not yet given any actual advice as I'm still waiting to hear back with their system specs.

Calm your horses :wink:
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    My current game takes 115 seconds from when I click to "Load" to when it puts me into the game. I am running with the default performance settings at 1920x1080.

The save game I am using was created after build 25416 was released, has about 20 hours of game time, and a few very small bases. The total size of the SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000 folder is 973 MB (817 in CompiledOctreesCache and 156 in CellsCache).

Computer: MSI GE 60 0NC-006US - i7 3.3Ghz - GeForce 650M 2GB - 6 GB RAM - 7200 RPM SATA HDD - Windows 7
    (And yes I know an SSD would be faster).
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    This has been fixed in experimental. If it takes that long to load restart your game
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    well technically you will not break a SSD with defrag.
    It wont do it any good performance wise or better said, lifetime wise.. but it should not break it.

I am truthfully much more worried about in game loading. Which is still bad. But since ive talked about that a lot I am sure its on the list of things to improve. :)
    I did notice experimental was loading faster lately pregame. I did not compare to normal.
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    Since we're on the topic of specs... Will an AMD R5 Radeon graphics card work?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Regarding the R5 - you've already asked 5 times. Will it work? Probably. Be slow? Probably. If you run at low resolution, it should be playable. No guarantees. That's the best answer you are going to get.
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Regarding the R5 - you've already asked 5 times. Will it work? Probably. Be slow? Probably. If you run at low resolution, it should be playable. No guarantees. That's the best answer you are going to get.

Ok thanks. I only asked so many times because no one was answering. You were the first on to do so. Thanks