Worrying concerns regarding the future of Natural Selection 2?

2»

Comments

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Wob wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    Balmark wrote: »
    I believe Hugh will do as bad a job of Project Management as he has done with PR

tbh I wish the poll read "Who should be PM of NS2"
    1. Hugh
    or
    2. Mendasp

After the whole viewmodel rotate "enemy list" underhanded shenanigans on NS2+ I don't think Mendasp should be remotely near any power structure in NS2. If he had that much power and access, he'd probably add specific lines of code to the game to burn out the graphics cards of people who criticize him.

You've got to be fkn kidding.

So you think his behaviour in that episode was acceptable? Please. Learn some basic decency.

LOL it was just a bit of fun!

Swalk got over it and appreciates that it's just a joke, and Golden ASKED for it. Also there's a difference between adding in a couple of jokes for a mod, and then being serious and professional when in a serious and professional capacity.

Don't be a moron over a joke

Only moron here is you. Fanboism does no good. What's wrong is wrong, even if your coding god did it.

"Fanboism" vs Demonisation
    I don't think Mendasp should be remotely near any power structure in NS2. If he had that much power and access, he'd probably add specific lines of code to the game to burn out the graphics cards of people who criticize him.

If you can't see that you're doing the exact same thing, with the exception that you are purely speculating and have no inside knowledge on why those features were implemented, you are a person who I cannot find a suitable name for because I am a nice person who doesn't use derogatory names to describe people's lack of knowledge.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    Sometimes I wonder if flowers grow on the other side of the fence...

Not during winter* they told me... /thread :D

* Northern part of the world has wintermode set to 1
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What should have been posted:
    - UWE is taking charge of NS2 development again
    - UWE is in the process of hiring people
    - The main objective is to increase the player count
    - Switching to a faster release cycle is a goal

What should have not been posted and sorted out internally:
    - The involvement of CDT members with development. Communicate above, talk directly to individuals and they will understand.
    - "CDT is being replaced by UWE" (I'm exaggerating here)

It's a great story, just spin it right. I know there is @Flayra and a lot of passion here, so my hopes are up that the game will not be "trashed". Hoping @Hugh or someone else can make this work! Please.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    I believe Hugh will do as bad a job of Project Management as he has done with PR

1. Hugh
    or
    2. Mendasp

After the whole viewmodel rotate "enemy list" underhanded shenanigans on NS2+ I don't think Mendasp should be remotely near any power structure in NS2. If he had that much power and access, he'd probably add specific lines of code to the game to burn out the graphics cards of people who criticize him.

So you think his behaviour in that episode was acceptable? Please. Learn some basic decency.
    Swalk got over it and appreciates that it's just a joke, and Golden ASKED for it. Also there's a difference between adding in a couple of jokes for a mod, and then being serious and professional when in a serious and professional capacity.

Err... not to be pedantic but I believe supadupanoodle was referring to the 2 random pub users (who mendasp was not friends or familiar with) that complained about recent UI changes and therefore had the same modes applied to them.

I don't really care whether it was a justified joke or whether it should have happened or not, I juusssttt wanted to make clear that acquaintances were not the only ones affected.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

1. Hugh
    or
    2. Mendasp

Err... not to be pedantic but I believe supadupanoodle was referring to the 2 random pub users (who mendasp was not friends or familiar with) that complained about recent UI changes and therefore had the same modes applied to them.

I don't really care whether it was a justified joke or whether it should have happened or not, I juusssttt wanted to make clear that acquaintances were not the only ones affected.

Then I'm a moron.

Point still stands that these options are not imposed on anyone and are jokes. Whether in bad taste or if they offend anyone, I don't care because at the end of the day it doesn't affect anything but ego. He hasn't actually (as far as I know) got any backdoors in to screw with specific people. To suggest he has or would is libellous behaviour and moronic.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, I'm very much concerned about the future of NS2. The new drama adds a big junk to the pile of worrisome stuff.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Throwing this one in here as well, seems NS2 news fast as Phasetech isn't that fast mwuahahah

http://ns2news.org/what-is-going-on-some-explanations/

Well, they posted it their thread... So...

*redemption back to Hive* HAH!
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    a person who I cannot find a suitable name for because I am a nice person who doesn't use derogatory names to describe people's lack of knowledge.

pffft u can't even say moron on these forums without getting censored? rofl
    unrendered wrote: »
    nazimod wrote:
    a person who I cannot find a suitable name for because I am a nice person who doesn't use derogatory names to describe people's lack of knowledge.

pffft u can't even say moron on these forums without getting censored? rofl

uhoh, you're gonna get censored as well mon :trollface:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    @unrendered

That's correct, we generally discourage name calling or naming and shaming because, well, it never goes anywhere productive.
    We typically won't take administrative action like warning or banning over such trivial things, but we will edit to maintain a more civil environment for everyone.

Here's our official community guidelines in case you were wondering :

We like to play games with people we like. We also like polite people who can have rational discussions about a wide range of subjects. As such, we’ve established the following guidelines when posting on our forums and acting in our community:
    • Please behave politely at all times. That means refraining from swearing and disrespectful comments (racist, homophobic, religious, etc.).
    • Our admins (whom are elected from the community) reserve the right to temporarily restrict or ban any people, accounts or IP addresses in response to behavior that violates these rules. However, our admins shall be gentle and reasonable and will use their discretion.
    That’s it. If you can’t say something nice, say nothing at all!

If you ever have an issue with action that has been taken you are free to PM any one of us admins or developers.
    My door in particular is always open.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    @unrendered

That's correct, we generally discourage name calling or naming and shaming because, well, it never goes anywhere productive.
    We typically won't take administrative action like warning or banning over such trivial things, but we will edit to maintain a more civil environment for everyone.

My permanent ban from you on my main account says differently.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    It wouldn't be Natural Selection if there wasn't any drama.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Throwing this one in here as well, seems NS2 news fast as Phasetech isn't that fast mwuahahah

http://ns2news.org/what-is-going-on-some-explanations/

Well, they posted it their thread... So...

*redemption back to Hive* HAH!

Glad you're up to date. :)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Live_Feed wrote: »
    It wouldn't be Natural Selection if there wasn't any drama.

HA, there's a blast from the past! Hello fellow WONGA admin.
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    @unrendered

My permanent ban from you on my main account says differently.

You are correct, I did not cover what we do for frequent repeat offenders who know the rules.
    Sometimes we get tired of having to clean up the messes left by the same individuals and eventually just result to warnings (you received 3) before a ban.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    trinity.ns wrote: »
    What should have been posted:
    - UWE is taking charge of NS2 development again
    - UWE is in the process of hiring people
    - The main objective is to increase the player count
    - Switching to a faster release cycle is a goal

What should have not been posted and sorted out internally:
    - The involvement of CDT members with development. Communicate above, talk directly to individuals and they will understand.
    - "CDT is being replaced by UWE" (I'm exaggerating here)

It's a great story, just spin it right. I know there is @Flayra and a lot of passion here, so my hopes are up that the game will not be "trashed". Hoping @Hugh or someone else can make this work! Please.

Yea it wasn't handled terrifically, but if we didn't talk about CDT at all, that'd be even more suspicious, wouldn't you say? I know that'd be my first question after hearing about the formation of the PDT: "what happens to the CDT?".
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    its their game... so why do we think we have the ability or right or "believe that something must be done about it"?

Sure, why not go and make half-assed changes to a game which has a steady and extensive community support just because you own it? I don't know about you, but I paid for the game (would've payed even more, cause I love), and would hate it if I have to abandon it because the community got killed by bad management decisions. :P
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    .trixX. wrote: »
    its their game... so why do we think we have the ability or right or "believe that something must be done about it"?

Sure, why not go and make half-assed changes to a game which has a steady and extensive community support just because you own it? I don't know about you, but I paid for the game (would've payed even more, cause I love), and would hate it if I have to abandon it because the community got killed by bad management decisions. :P

community is long dead for casual, average skilled players. There's only about 8 servers that are populated with ping <100 for me in KS.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
  • FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
    @IntrepidH Why can't I give you agrees AND awesomes? :wink:
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I must say i daubted it a lot in the start now i've changed my mind looking on the Trello bord and it seems like it's going the right way!