ns2_nothing Dev/Release Thread

124»

Comments

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    logan3 wrote: »
    sry for beeing late, you removed instakill from silo so my suggestion is no longer actual. i think it was a good idea
    i explored the wather a little dho and this vent next silo is to small for a skulk right now:
    exo4c7KQj

Hi @logan3‌

I've been through that vent both as a Gorge and Skulk, seems fine to me?
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    humm, i cant get further than this as a skulk with cheats 1 and in pregame i just tested it again:
    ipkzeIqRj
    maby i'm not up to date with worksop or something like this becose i have the same problem(its not high enough) from the other side. i hosted the map on my computer..
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    weird. Ok I will check it out this weekend.

Thanks for letting me know.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    fdac03ac1c69394af5f5c8074ad918.jpg
    you could leave it as is, just add fences or a transparent gate of some kind texture to match the vents shape that way you cant get on top of it but it hangs in the gated texture or acts like its support holding it from above
    RadimaX wrote: »
    fdac03ac1c69394af5f5c8074ad918.jpg
    you could leave it as is, just add fences or a transparent gate of some kind texture to match the vents shape that way you cant get on top of it but it hangs in the gated texture or acts like its support holding it from above

Yeah was thinking of just putting a few grates up there to prevent access.
    Map has been updated:

- Added grates at the top of Silo
    - Reworked vent from Silo to South Silo
    - Renamed Viaduct and Silo South/North rooms - removed the word access.
    @logan3 I found the issue :)

Will have it fixed in a new update today.

Thank you.
    Map has been updated:

- Fixed ladders in transport
    - Fixed vent between Silo and Silo North
    - Secret room stuff :)
    So I've fixed the spawn points so that:

Marines start Cargo, Aliens start Silo
    Marines start Command, Aliens start Viaduct

Do you think I should also have marines start in Viaduct and Silo? People have complained before that it was hard for marines to start from Viaduct and Silo. However I've blocked the top of Silo now.

Thoughts?
    Map has been updated on Steam Workshop.

Fixed player starts:

Marines start Cargo, Aliens start Silo
    Marines start Command, Aliens start Viaduct
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

LOS in for Viaduc are still too big.
    Put some barrel or something in there to block the LOS.
    7b2221b600afaf04acd401442dfdb8.jpg

Infestation appears like if it was an occlusion bug.
    9cc5a413a88117ff13760faa56feff.jpg
    fa92b3cc5d71f53da206467cc1608a.jpg

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2014
    ok so we had our TAW maptest yesterday (sry for the delay we had to change the schedule) and we were not able to record the matches sadly.

we had 4 teams playing on 2 different servers and it was a 7v7 test.

On both servers we had 1 alien and 1 marine win (If teams are balanced we would normally have 2 alien wins in TAW).

So now to some things I noticed while playing on the map:
    c297cf2970.jpg

I really like the layout of the map. It plays very differently depending if you play with top-bottom spawn (4 lanes) orleft-right spawn (3 lanes). That keeps some variety in the way the map has to be played.

Anyway something I did not like to see were vents leading into a possible marine spawn
    761ec3c78e.jpg
    the "MEH" vent is not too bad because it only leads from a natural RT to the mainbase so aliens will have a hard time using it for baserushes

I also noticed the one or the other bug:
    132e2a9384.jpg
    I can look through the ground here
    19c03ebe7c.jpg
    I couldn't hear footsteps of my marine while walking below transport

Next would be the flow of a map and where you draw attention to (lights are being used for that).
    c8da446b53.jpg
    I really tried to walljump through that lit door at the first time. My suggestion is remove that spotlight or make it darker.

Some LOS issues are in that map aswell. Especially in Viaduct. Aliens will have a very hard time fighting in that room. I don't like the idea of a marine favoured room as alien spawn.

You should move the RT in Silo it can be shot from very far away
    4a8ecc82fd.jpg

After that I was taking a look at arcing distances:
    55299fd599.jpg
    WUUUT?!
    Ok you have a vent there but...
    WUUUT?!
    4df5db917e.jpg
    Not sure of that's too much aswell...
    66bea3ea08.jpg
    You could Arc an RT from here... not sure if intended...

And some other random things I noticed:
    a6b87d194a.jpg
    Some cover leading upwards would give skulks some more freedom
    c96bc826cb.jpg
    The skulk below Silo is completely coverd by water. Marines don't see the orange outline so skulks are very hard to see there
    a427c1cec5.jpg
    Since Onos and Exos can't climb ladders, this is a deathtrap
    cb6ece9aed.jpg
    Unless Marines have Jetpacks they are screwed now

Also the room to the left of Transport is very very skulk unfriendly. It's completely empty and there is no cover at all.

Side note: I personally prefer to use Doors as a LOS blockage and not as an esthrtic means. (That's the only way I can explain myself the door between Miasma and Junction)

EDIT: pls remove the vent in command. It's closed of and that orange line on the map is just confusing.
    Awesome feedback @‌Mephilles

Thanks for taking the time to test it and I will address all the points mentioned.

Cheers
    In the process of updating Viaduct based on feedback. Still WIP images as I will be moving one of the entry ways so there's no long LOS hallways.

SBwCzTQ.jpg
    HjAPVUv.jpg
    az8WhoL.jpg
    nMesegL.jpg
    rZCxWsb.jpg

Aiming to have this update out on the weekend.
    Ok I've finished this weekends update.

Major update to Viaduct and a Viaduct North based on user feedback.

aUmwMue.jpg
    JO23eWY.jpg
    Jt5CirN.jpg
    8VyttrJ.jpg
    FUH0bLL.jpg
    ksWLSSg.jpg
    YdhByic.jpg
    c5wTmEJ.jpg
  • [TGL]Thunderhorse[TGL]Thunderhorse Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148134Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Communications and Ventilation are WAY to small. If marines spawn in cargo they get trapped in those 2 hallways very easy. Either find a way to widen them or remake them from scratch.
    Communications and Ventilation are WAY to small. If marines spawn in cargo they get trapped in those 2 hallways very easy. Either find a way to widen them or remake them from scratch.

Yeah Vent was the next room I was going to tackle because it's still using the original design.

Same with Threshold and Junction.

However I thought communications was ok. Any other opinions?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Is there power in Red Room?
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Is there power in Red Room?

No not at this stage, only a gorge tunnel can be placed in there at the moment. Open to opinions on this as I wanted to see how it played out.

If I placed power in there, it might make it very difficult for aliens to attack marines with a base setup since access is only via vents.

I mainly left the Red Room in there for memories of the original.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    In the initial rebooted versions of Nyx, (which was also originally a remake of Nothing) it proved to be really, really powerful, but it also enabled Onos or marines to just get stuck there which was not very fun for either team. I would leave pathing out of the room entirely, but that's just an opinion.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited November 2015
    Another ns2 Map project almost ready for the world that was put down....

I SUMMON YOU @Kalopsia !!!!!!

Also @MaxAmus and @Nordic
    I officaly have taken over you're Jobs now....
    SAFFRONBUN COMPLETE!!!!
    @LUSSEBULL :)

I've been tempted to get back into mapping lately so perhaps in the near future I might pick this up again.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing was an amazing Ns1 Map, I was sad that this has not been completed. Mush like other Ns1 maps. This had to be on of my Fave's with Lost / Hera
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kalopsia wrote: »

I've been tempted to get back into mapping lately so perhaps in the near future I might pick this up again.
    The editor has seen a couple of handy, time-saving improvements recently--texture alignment has been made a lot easier--so now is a good time to hop back into it. :smile:
    Kalopsia wrote: »

The editor has seen a couple of handy, time-saving improvements recently--texture alignment has been made a lot easier--so now is a good time to hop back into it. :smile:

Awesome. I will definitely need to check it out then :)

Also looking forward to hearing more about all these NS2 developments/changes.