Sea-base Energy Mechanics

Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
So having kept an eye on the trello boards it looks like H20 is gonna improve general habitation, farming and fragment mechanics.

However something I find missing is an overhaul to the energy mechanics. Just 3 solar panels at a depth of 65m is enough to power my entire base of 56Corridors, 12 rooms, 2 moon pools and an observatory. Even when you include the 40 lockers, 12 wall lockers, 5 fabricators, 2 Seamoth Upgrade Terminals, 12 Aquariums and a fragment analyzer. You'd think I would need more than 3 solar panels.

The problem is two fold, powering your base, simply requires power, of any quantity, so long as you have at least 1 power, all your drainage and life support systems just work, straight of the bat. Secondly expanding your base doesn't require more power, in that sense power only limits the number of consecutive actions you can do and that's it.

So we need a power system that's a little more engaging (my opinion feel free to disagree)

As such I propose that we first segregate the production and storage of power within a base. Energy Producers will produce a specific amount of energy per tick, while structures and appliances will passively consume energy per tick, if you don't have enough energy per tick to sustain your base, any energy stored will then be consumed until you run out, at which point you go to emergency power.

Utilising appliances such as the workbench or fabricator will increase the energy per tick consumed drastically for the duration of the process.

What this allows for is for three distinct base types, one with a low passive cost but high storage (similar to now), one with high energy production and surplus per tick, but low spare storage, and hybrid of the two.

Comments

• LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    The power now is fine I feel. I like to believe that the power runs even when the base is idle (i.e no systems are used)

You power your entire base on just 3 solar-panels? Possible. But how about when you need to use the fabricator/workbench a lot? Or need to charge a Seamoth? Do you just sit around until you have power again? I'm running a small base with 2 moonpools, have a reserve of 2000 power-units, and I still occasionally manage to nearly run the supply dry.

It's all about usage. If you barely use the base, then a couple of solar-panels will suffice, just to power the base and all the life support systems. If you need more reserves, you build more power generators (solar panels and stuff). Simple as that. And I feel like that is a fine system to use.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Well with three solar panels, I get 150 base energy.

That's enough for 20-25 continuous uses of the fabricator/workbench. Even placing a near empty Seamoth in the pool gives me enough excess energy to do what I need to.

I've only run out of power once, because it was midnight. And this is my main base where I do everything. I just think the power system isn't comprehensive enough considering all of the stuff we have / are getting.

It's more the idea I can have so much stuff, none of which consumes power. All those lights, Seamoth docking arms, life support systems and other stuff which all seems to run perfectly off 1 unit of power.
  • TydalTydal Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209277Members
    edited November 2015
    One thing that seems whack to me is that the lights are always on, even before you have power. Build a titanium corridor and a hatch in the bottom of the ocean? Boom, it's brightly lit.

It really makes having base power kind of useless except for charging a SeaMoth and using a fabricator. Using power to "keep the lights on" is generally the number 1 use for electricity... just not in Subnautica :)

I think the lighting in the bases could actually use a ton of work (as varied lighting to me is one of the most immersive/interesting things in a video game, imagine being able to have red lighting or blacklights in your base) but that's a different thread, and I know the devs already have their plates full.
    Tydal wrote: »
    One thing that seems whack to me is that the lights are always on, even before you have power. Build a titanium corridor and a hatch in the bottom of the ocean? Boom, it's brightly lit.

It really makes having base power kind of useless except for charging a SeaMoth and using a fabricator. Using power to "keep the lights on" is generally the number 1 use for electricity... just not in Subnautica :)

I think the lighting in the bases could actually use a ton of work (as varied lighting to me is one of the most immersive/interesting things in a video game, imagine being able to have red lighting or blacklights in your base) but that's a different thread, and I know the devs already have their plates full.

Aye, that would be cool, but like you said that is whole separate thread. Also like you said, where is all this energy for lighting, breathable air (specifically as you get deeper), drainage systems etc come from?

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Game development is an iterative process.

They work on something and release it, they release something else, they tweak the first thing, they release a third thing, they tweak the 2nd thing, release a 4th, they tweak the 1st again, etc.

Power and all this stuff will get another pass once they've introduced more of the science elements of the game. It is building up in stages.

We crashed.
    We set about making transport.
    Then we started building stuff.
    then we made better transport.
    The we started protecting ourselves better.
    Then building got improved.

The game development is almost happening in the way your survival would on the planet.. almost..
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Game development is an iterative process.

They work on something and release it, they release something else, they tweak the first thing, they release a third thing, they tweak the 2nd thing, release a 4th, they tweak the 1st again, etc.

Power and all this stuff will get another pass once they've introduced more of the science elements of the game. It is building up in stages.

We crashed.
    We set about making transport.
    Then we started building stuff.
    then we made better transport.
    The we started protecting ourselves better.
    Then building got improved.

The game development is almost happening in the way your survival would on the planet.. almost..

. . . . .what are you getting at? I know how an agile iterative development process works, it applies to any form of software development.

And yes your right, it will get another, pass which is exactly why I'm discussing it, and how I would like it to be implemented.

So once again, what?
  • OxraiderOxraider Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204554Members
    I suggest we should only have our energy available during day-time or at least only recharge at day-time otherwise what use has the day/night cycle ? (more realistic too)

also managing energy in bases is WAY too easy.
    they should make it more difficult or relook into the energy system.

Because now i literally have it way too easy to survive, it doesn't drag me into it deeply like this...

and when they do it i think they should at least make a startup panel after you choose to start a game and let you choose with toggle buttons what you want on or off to balance for the hardcore gamers and the more exploring fanatics

grtz Oxraider
    Oxraider wrote: »
    I suggest we should only have our energy available during day-time or at least only recharge at day-time otherwise what use has the day/night cycle ? (more realistic too)

also managing energy in bases is WAY too easy.
    they should make it more difficult or relook into the energy system.

Because now i literally have it way too easy to survive, it doesn't drag me into it deeply like this...

and when they do it i think they should at least make a startup panel after you choose to start a game and let you choose with toggle buttons what you want on or off to balance for the hardcore gamers and the more exploring fanatics

grtz Oxraider

We do already have energy recharge at daytime only, if you are using solar panels.

The point is you have solar panels, which are more than enough, and 2 reactors.

The reactors only really get use if you are building a base below 400m.

Also the day night cycles affect the behaviour of fauna, and the visibility of certain materials.
    The best time to grab a haul of fish is when the peepers and spadefish go to sleep, they don't run away from you. :smiley: