Lack of real dangers

2»

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Myrm wrote: »
    I don't know what game you lot are playing with your constant moaning about "no real dangers!" I am attacked a lot; by clouds of red biters in the grassy plateau (in the end I had to jump into my Seamoth and ram them all), sand sharks, those other shark things, stalkers in the kelpforests, and I got attacked by an electric fish in the bloodkelp. They seemto like the taste of me. Sounds like most of you never even leave the safety of the Safeshallows. :wink:

Warning: blunt comment incoming

You need to rethink your strategies if you are having trouble surviving in this game. Being annoyed and being in mortal danger are two very different things, consider what you're saying carefully

Warning: even more blunt comment incoming...

...no, in fact, I won't >.<

Seriously though, I didn't say I was having trouble surviving, all I was saying is that there are plenty of dangers out there in the gam ocean. Just because you're not getting attacked every five feet of swimming, it doesn't mean it's not a dangerous environment.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I don't know what game you lot are playing with your constant moaning about "no real dangers!" I am attacked a lot; by clouds of red biters in the grassy plateau (in the end I had to jump into my Seamoth and ram them all), sand sharks, those other shark things, stalkers in the kelpforests, and I got attacked by an electric fish in the bloodkelp. They seemto like the taste of me. Sounds like most of you never even leave the safety of the Safeshallows. :wink:

Warning: blunt comment incoming

You need to rethink your strategies if you are having trouble surviving in this game. Being annoyed and being in mortal danger are two very different things, consider what you're saying carefully

Warning: even more blunt comment incoming...

...no, in fact, I won't >.<

Seriously though, I didn't say I was having trouble surviving, all I was saying is that there are plenty of dangers out there in the gam ocean. Just because you're not getting attacked every five feet of swimming, it doesn't mean it's not a dangerous environment.

If you aren't having trouble surviving then it isn't dangerous. That is where you aren't seeing my point :P
    Of course it's dangerous, I am just vary careful. Sometimes I get caught out, sometimes I don't. Dangerous doesn't mean you die every two minutes.
    Of course it's dangerous, I am just vary careful. Sometimes I get caught out, sometimes I don't. Dangerous doesn't mean you die every two minutes.

No dangerous means likely to be hurt or killed lol. And that is most certainly NOT what you are describing :)

It most certainly IS what I am describing. However this tedious back and forth is boring me now. I'll stick with what I believe to be dangerous, and you stick to yours.
    It most certainly IS what I am describing. However this tedious back and forth is boring me now. I'll stick with what I believe to be dangerous, and you stick to yours.

Mmk buddy lol.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Now being new to the game , you will probably think my opinion isn't worth much but . . . . .

How do you define real danger? In the short time I have died to a large number of things which you appear to write off as unchallenging.

1) Biter Swarms: Heading to the grassy platues early game is dangerous not because of the burrowing sharks, but the biter swarms.
    They swim faster than you do without a seaglide and usually come in packs of 5-10.

2)Leviathans, early game these are a death sentence, as soon as you see them, bar none.

3) Bone sharks, not horrendously dangerous, but the most persistent hostile creature aside the crash meels.

Don't forget you goal is to terraform the planet for human colonies so one would expect the threats to be lessened in late game.
  • unknown-guyunknown-guy Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203843Members
    There is a lot of talk about the dangers that this game really needs, it's a an idea that needs to be implemented into the game + better AI for the creatures.
  • unknown-guyunknown-guy Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203843Members
    + subs need a motion tracker, like the ones that they have in Alien. That beep that increases in speed every time a creature is getting closer.

(just a thought, to get the blood pumping) :) Got to love the motion tracker!
    Monkey_Mac wrote: »
    Now being new to the game , you will probably think my opinion isn't worth much but . . . . .

How do you define real danger? In the short time I have died to a large number of things which you appear to write off as unchallenging.

1) Biter Swarms: Heading to the grassy platues early game is dangerous not because of the burrowing sharks, but the biter swarms.
    They swim faster than you do without a seaglide and usually come in packs of 5-10.

2)Leviathans, early game these are a death sentence, as soon as you see them, bar none.

3) Bone sharks, not horrendously dangerous, but the most persistent hostile creature aside the crash meels.

Don't forget you goal is to terraform the planet for human colonies so one would expect the threats to be lessened in late game.

Leviathans... wait what? You mean the Reaper? I'm confused? Don't go near where they spawn until you have a cyclops lol.

Am I missing a creature?!

And since you're new yes, I am pretty much not going to respond in any other way, I'm just curious as to what exactly you mean by leviathan?

Leviathans... wait what? You mean the Reaper? I'm confused? Don't go near where they spawn until you have a cyclops lol.

And since you're new yes, I am pretty much not going to respond in any other way, I'm just curious as to what exactly you mean by leviathan?

Yeah sorry the reaper leviathan, went looking for the mushroom forests and stumbled into the mountain biome, hear a huge roar, this massive thing grabs my seaming from behind , smashes it into the ground (1 Shortting it) and then grabs me and sync kills me.

I stuck to the shallows for quite a while after that.

You may write of my opinion, but remember what you find easy as an experienced player aren't the same for newer players.

What is challenging for you, might be pure machosisum for a new player.

Yeah sorry the reaper leviathan, went looking for the mushroom forests and stumbled into the mountain biome, hear a huge roar, this massive thing grabs my seaming from behind , smashes it into the ground (1 Shortting it) and then grabs me and sync kills me.

You may write of my opinion, but remember what you find easy as an experienced player aren't the same for newer players.

I don't think you're really a masochist xD but that is really my point... If you are having trouble with the game, then you need to rethink how you play it. That simple. I'm sure you'll learn and realize that some things youre doing are inefficient and become more experienced

I don't think you're really a masochist xD but that is really my point... If you are having trouble with the game, then you need to rethink how you play it. That simple. I'm sure you'll learn and realize that some things youre doing are inefficient and become more experienced

Yeah that word. XD No I'm not but when designing these games, you need to consider a new players perspective.

If you add too many threats in too early the game becomes inaccessible, meanwhile if threats are overly present in late game, (or the threats don't evolve) you don't feel accomplished enough.
    edited November 2015
    @Monkey_Mac
    I think most of us here are saying that the Shallows biome should stay safe-- but the Blood Kelp biome, Islands biome (the biome with underwater islands that float) the grand reef biome... those have very few SERIOUS dangers once you have a base up and running. Which is definitely the case (in reality, you could just use a Cyclops for your base... which makes things even easier)
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Based on the above comments, I'll insert another cent and a half of mine.

I agree with this pair of comments:

Yeah that word. XD No I'm not but when designing these games, you need to consider a new players perspective.

If you add too many threats in too early the game becomes inaccessible, meanwhile if threats are overly present in late game, (or the threats don't evolve) you don't feel accomplished enough.
    I think most of us here are saying that the Shallows biome should stay safe-- but the Blood Kelp biome, Islands biome (the biome with underwater islands that float) the grand reef biome... those have very few SERIOUS dangers once you have a base up and running. Which is definitely the case (in reality, you could just use a Cyclops for your base... which makes things even easier)

The safe shallows should stay exactly how they are. I think what people are trying to say is, after you get to a certain level (cyclops), absolutely nothing poses any sort of real threat. I think what's being suggested, and I have to say I agree, is adding later-game creatures that can actually be dangerous.
    The_Shark wrote: »
    Based on the above comments, I'll insert another cent and a half of mine.

I agree with this pair of comments:

The safe shallows should stay exactly how they are. I think what people are trying to say is, after you get to a certain level (cyclops), absolutely nothing poses any sort of real threat. I think what's being suggested, and I have to say I agree, is adding later-game creatures that can actually be dangerous.

Pretty much. I'm of the opinion that Stalkers currently are no threat, biters are a serious nuisance though not actually a danger to the player, and bleeders... are too slow IMO to really pose a threat at all. That's just me though and I know I'm a severe minority. (Stalkers, bone sharks, sand sharks, they all are just non-issues to me, they can't really ever get close enough lol)

That being said, I would definitely settle for what you have said, as a compromise.

• CKBKufyTCKBKufyT london Join Date: 2015-11-13 Member: 209195Members
    edited November 2015
    the deep www.ourcase.co.uk ocean biomes and the mountain biome with the reaper will kill you unless you have advanced upgrades for the www.casesam.co.uk seamoth.
    CKBKufyT wrote: »
    the deep ocean biomes and the mountain biome with the reaper will kill you unless you have advanced upgrades for the seamoth.

But that's the point. A bleeder will kill you unless, a stalker will kill you unless, ... Etc.Etc.
    the deep ocean biomes and the mountain biome with the reaper will kill you unless you have advanced upgrades for the seamoth.

But that's the point. A bleeder will kill you unless, a stalker will kill you unless, ... Etc.Etc.

Then your kind of missing the point of the game. What's the point of amassing materials, constructing bases, crafting tools and upgrades, if I'm still gonna keep dying to the same stuff?

Why bother?

The answer is of course that you wouldn't. You would find a game where your position in the food chain progresses and you actually feel like you've achieved more than wasting your time.
    edited November 2015

Then your kind of missing the point of the game. What's the point of amassing materials, constructing bases, crafting tools and upgrades, if I'm still gonna keep dying to the same stuff?

Why bother?

The answer is of course that you wouldn't. You would find a game where your position in the food chain progresses and you actually feel like you've achieved more than wasting your time.

Wait, what? And no, the equipment should matter, and it most certainly does NOT matter, but come on, I'm saying just for me. This us my opinion and I'm not speaking for everyone here, but in terms of lethal ity of predators...

I was referring to the sheer fact that, reapers be Damned, there is literally no serious threat to Me specifically when I play this game , even without using the seamoth, or Cyclops. I don't think I should've posted such a vague post since it seems it's been wildly interpreted lol, my bad

You say the equipment should matter, and I agree, but I say it doesn't.
    edited November 2015
    I find the frustrating lag more of a killer than anything else; it kills my enthusiasm and sometimes causes me to damage my Seamoth :dizzy:

Why bother?

Wait, what? And no, the equipment should matter, and it most certainly does NOT matter, but come on, I'm saying just for me. This us my opinion and I'm not speaking for everyone here, but in terms of lethal ity of predators...

I was referring to the sheer fact that, reapers be Damned, there is literally no serious threat to Me specifically when I play this game , even without using the seamoth, or Cyclops. I don't think I should've posted such a vague post since it seems it's been wildly interpreted lol, my bad

But you see now you are starting to contradict yourself. Or maybe your not explaining yourself very well.

Either way, the number of predators is not the problem. The meta is the problem.

1) Building a base in a biome causes that biomes nasties to despawn.

2) The predators have no need to hunt. For example stalkers should get 'hungry' the hungrier they are the larger the aggro sphere should be.

3) Predators don't have intelligence, pack hunting, stalking and other predatorial behaviours don't exist.

4) Food chains don't exist as such predators don't actively travel.

All of this results in the games predators effectively being very dum guard dogs at the moment. Hence why they pose you no challenge.

Your problem isn't with the lack of predators, but the lack of predatorial behaviour.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members

Your problem isn't with the lack of predators, but the lack of predatorial behaviour.

Precisely. I mean, as I said, you can have all the "aggressive" creatures you want. But unless you make them an actual threat, then what's the point in their existence?

Why bother?

But you see now you are starting to contradict yourself. Or maybe your not explaining yourself very well.

Either way, the number of predators is not the problem. The meta is the problem.

1) Building a base in a biome causes that biomes nasties to despawn.

2) The predators have no need to hunt. For example stalkers should get 'hungry' the hungrier they are the larger the aggro sphere should be.

3) Predators don't have intelligence, pack hunting, stalking and other predatorial behaviours don't exist.

4) Food chains don't exist as such predators don't actively travel.

All of this results in the games predators effectively being very dum guard dogs at the moment. Hence why they pose you no challenge.

please point out where I'm contradicting myself

And your 4 points there I stated earlier in this thread anyways, so again, I'm not sure why you are actually arguing with me lol?