Lack of real dangers

XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
I love subnautica for its style and atmosphere, but what I miss are more dangerous areas. As soon as I have a knife and the base builder tool I basically already conquered all dangers on the alien planet.
With a knife i can defend myself from multiple stalkers/bonesharks at once and whenever I run out of oxygen I just drop down a corridor with a hatch and I'll be fine.

As soon as I have both tools i can practically settle anywhere (and have) without much hassle with exception of the radiated surroundings of the aurora.

For instance I'd like to see new nocturnal creatures at low depth that are able to reduce my mobility at range. As the players mobility in combination with the knife is his strongest asset, it would make these creatures actually dangerous and would give starting areas as well as kelp forests some more tension.

And please add an Oxygen Generator, which needs energy, as a buildable module to the game and making it a requirement to have breathable air in a base. It would fix the current exploit and would make venturing out dangerous again.

On top of it I really miss possible dangers for my base. Maybe down the line it would be great if certain biomes have creatures that actually are able to attack sea bases and would require the player to build defense turrets and such like to protect himself and his base.

Or something like an ingame unlockable "Hard Mode" akin of how terraria does it. As soon as this Hard Mode is unlocked, new creatures roam the world posing a high threat to base and player. As trigger for this mode can be the exploration of the aurora - and checking on its ship computer?

Anyway, I look forward to see the survival aspect more pronounced and feeling actualy threatened ;)

Comments

• lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    the game isn't finished yet but i get what you mean there will be an "armoured divesuit" which i assume will be for larger depth and later the exosuit will need to be used for the really deep areas and people believe the "rock crusher" or "rock puncher" (which will be a large lobster like creature that will crush rocks to find food) is assumed to attack bases althought this isn't confirment

also did you ever go into the dangerous areas like the mushroom caves and the blood kelp biome because these will kill you really quick.
    also the deep ocean biomes and the mountain biome with the reaper will kill you unless you have advanced upgrades for the seamoth.
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    edited November 2015
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    people believe the "rock crusher" or "rock puncher" (which will be a large lobster like creature that will crush rocks to find food) is assumed to attack bases althought this isn't confirment

Oh that would be nice.

lorcogoth wrote: »
    also the deep ocean biomes and the mountain biome with the reaper will kill you unless you have advanced upgrades for the seamoth.

Went there right from start in my last run. With "base hopping" they're no problem. I dunno but i had the feeling as soon i build fundations and stuff those reapers didn't spawn anymore?! I didn't saw them once I settled there :(
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    edited November 2015
    I know reapers stop spawning around the aurora when you fix the reactor but i thought they remained every where else.
    and yes if you have enough titanium you can build bases everywhere and be safe but maybe try the blood kelp biome with an upgraded seamoth (2x depth increase) the shockers they added are dangerous and immune to electricity thus they are kinda hard to fight.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    In a future update creatures will begin to attack bases. You'll be able to ward them off with bright spotlights and possibly other defenses.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Finally, someone actually (after like a year of me saying so, no exaggerations) gets it: the game is flat out challengeless :| We NEED monsters that actually pose a constant threat (once the player reaches a certain point in the story ofc).

The Reaper is really not dangerous because Cyclops, and because he spawns only in certain areas... so IMO we need a lot more creatures out there that actually HUNT the player, instead of just sort of swimming around and aggroing when the player gets too close (because frankly that's just ... gamey)
    Seldkam wrote: »
    The Reaper is really not dangerous because Cyclops, and because he spawns only in certain areas... so IMO we need a lot more creatures out there that actually HUNT the player, instead of just sort of swimming around and aggroing when the player gets too close (because frankly that's just ... gamey)

I agree so much. Even in the areas Reapers spawn, just drop down a base and sooner or later they will despawn and never come back. :-|

edited November 2015
    Xadie wrote: »
    Seldkam wrote: »

I agree so much. Even in the areas Reapers spawn, just drop down a base and sooner or later they will despawn and never come back. :-|

The problem is there are a lot of people who don't really play the game for certain aspects: some play it for building, some ONLY exploring (no combat) so they never actually try and figure out a way to deal with the dangers... They just come on the forum and complain (And no, I'm not pointing fingers, there ARE people that do this though) and therefore, awareness needs to be raised that ...

IF you actually TRY to come up with ways to dealing with said dangers, they are absolutely challengeless:

here's why in a nutshell:

Not because they aren't dangerous. That's not why there is no challenge in dealing with, for instance, stalkers. Stalkers pose no threat because if ANYONE thought for a second and observed the stalkers, they actually have a very obvious way to handle them: Juking. This can be done even with the REAPER to an extent, and my god, does it make all the predators boring and toothless (PUN INTENDED :D ) as all hell.

Ok my rant's over now xD
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well this is refreshing to see some one wanting more danger and not complaining about all the things they can't kill.

Thank you.
    2cough wrote: »
    Well this is refreshing to see some one wanting more danger and not complaining about all the things they can't kill.

Thank you.

That's what I've said in EVERY lethal weapons thread EVER lol. No one ever talks to me about my issues though :(

but yes, in all seriousness, I'm so happy to finally find someone who thinks like I do :D

That sounded way more dramatic than it needed to be but whatever, lol
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    Type : Spawn Mesmer and hit it with your knife.

But yea, there needs to be more enemies that actually pose any kind of threat. I don't know if my save is just goofed up by I've never been attacked by shockers except once when I spawned one in a pit and then stabbed it with the knife. The crabsnakes are absolutely pants soilingly terrifying, especially if you don't know it's around and it grabs you from behind. The howls of nearby reapers sends chills up my spine, especially if I'm not sitting in the cyclops. Really the only enemies that pose any threat anymore are crabsnakes, reapers and those obnoxious spike shooting plants (hey come on, they can be hard to see and they don't make a noise right away). I'm hoping they add the sea dragon, or the sand crab thing (it has the jumping out of the hole motion in the gallery now), rock puncher, and some more enemies that can't be defeated, or at least not as easily as shooting it with the stasis rifle then knifing the crap out of it.
  • mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
    I love subnautica for its style and atmosphere, but what I miss are more dangerous areas. As soon as I have a knife and the base builder tool I basically already conquered all dangers on the alien planet.
    With a knife i can defend myself from multiple stalkers/bonesharks at once and whenever I run out of oxygen I just drop down a corridor with a hatch and I'll be fine.

As soon as I have both tools i can practically settle anywhere (and have) without much hassle with exception of the radiated surroundings of the aurora.

For instance I'd like to see new nocturnal creatures at low depth that are able to reduce my mobility at range. As the players mobility in combination with the knife is his strongest asset, it would make these creatures actually dangerous and would give starting areas as well as kelp forests some more tension.

And please add an Oxygen Generator, which needs energy, as a buildable module to the game and making it a requirement to have breathable air in a base. It would fix the current exploit and would make venturing out dangerous again.

On top of it I really miss possible dangers for my base. Maybe down the line it would be great if certain biomes have creatures that actually are able to attack sea bases and would require the player to build defense turrets and such like to protect himself and his base.

Or something like an ingame unlockable "Hard Mode" akin of how terraria does it. As soon as this Hard Mode is unlocked, new creatures roam the world posing a high threat to base and player. As trigger for this mode can be the exploration of the aurora - and checking on its ship computer?

Anyway, I look forward to see the survival aspect more pronounced and feeling actualy threatened ;)

The need to make the bases more realistic, how do the bases get air when the are under water???
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    mariotusek wrote: »

The need to make the bases more realistic, how do the bases get air when the are under water???

actually it's quite simple, run a strong enough electrical charge through water and you can separate the elements that make it up, and we all know what water is, H20 which is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. You can do this with salt water to get chlorine as well. Simple way to put it is that bases have an inbuilt system when constructed that provides the oxygen you breathe in the base by separating water into it's base elements.
    nice... still turning oxygen management to a mere nuisance
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I just want a dolphin like creature that I can keep as a pet then I'd be happy. :smiley:
    edited November 2015
    Naali wrote: »
    Really the only enemies that pose any threat anymore are crabsnakes, reapers and those obnoxious spike shooting plants (hey come on, they can be hard to see and they don't make a noise right away). I'm hoping they add the sea dragon, or the sand crab thing (it has the jumping out of the hole motion in the gallery now), rock puncher, and some more enemies that can't be defeated, or at least not as easily as shooting it with the stasis rifle then knifing the crap out of it.

Nah, as long as reapers don't attack buildings they're still nothing more than decoration with a terrifying scream. Last run i basically "hunted" for reapers and started building a base right under their nose (until they despawened >_>) whenever I found one. That without anything more than fins, o-tank, knife, rebreather und builder tool, no subs or other equipment. Went from blood kelp to whole dunes biome to mushroom forest to mountain biome without much of a scratch. :-/
    Can't remember the last time i actually used the stasis rifle. There is no need for it...

• tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members

actually it's quite simple, run a strong enough electrical charge through water and you can separate the elements that make it up, and we all know what water is, H20 which is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. You can do this with salt water to get chlorine as well. Simple way to put it is that bases have an inbuilt system when constructed that provides the oxygen you breathe in the base by separating water into it's base elements.

breathing pure O2 from electrolysis would get you high as a kite.

breathing pure O2 from electrolysis would get you high as a kite.

AND WHAT"S THE PROBLEM WITH THAT?

lol xD

What if the diver is secretly permanently high and he's actually just in one of Earth's many oceans? O_________________O

He hallucinates all the crazy stuff, and aliens :D
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't know what game you lot are playing with your constant moaning about "no real dangers!" I am attacked a lot; by clouds of red biters in the grassy plateau (in the end I had to jump into my Seamoth and ram them all), sand sharks, those other shark things, stalkers in the kelpforests, and I got attacked by an electric fish in the bloodkelp. They seemto like the taste of me. Sounds like most of you never even leave the safety of the Safeshallows. :wink:
  • rainer128rainer128 United states Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209096Members
    edited November 2015
    Myrm wrote: »
    I don't know what game you lot are playing with your constant moaning about "no real dangers!" I am attacked a lot; by clouds of red biters in the grassy plateau (in the end I had to jump into my Seamoth and ram them all), sand sharks, those other shark things, stalkers in the kelpforests, and I got attacked by an electric fish in the bloodkelp. They seemto like the taste of me. Sounds like most of you never even leave the safety of the Safeshallows. :wink:

this is quite true i myself actually built my first sea-base right there at the shallows because i stuck to safety :) buuuuuut wheres the fun in that as i ventured out i found out its much more fun because then there is danger and if you want even more danger or feels of that kind then go out of shallows around night i don't know if this is a thing and ima go look it up but i feel the spawns are ill willed towards you at night as they start showing up everywhere ^^ so yeah leave shallows and do it at night going to look this up real quick and make sure night is a thing with spawns
    so yeah, seems others see the same thing with night time lol you want danger, wait for night, then do your normal thing just swap what you normally do during the day and do it at night and there is your fix (\^.^/) https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/618457398960741646/ is what I was looking at this is player feedback though not official that I know of it might be official, but I won't say it is but creatures certainly feel much more scary and (dangerous) at night rather than day so everyone try that out before saying it lacks danger if that does not satisfy you then you can retry at the dev's this way everyone is happy :cold_sweat:
  • Joe_HoganJoe_Hogan England Join Date: 2015-11-07 Member: 209067Members
    I have already commented on this discussion however more information has been shown to me after playing the game for a few more hours so I shall show my opinion once again.

Before I go rambling on I am just going to put my opinion strait down, yes I do believe there should be more danger in the game. You crash-land on an alien planet there should be NO safe place, you have no idea how to survive hell, you don't even know if a fish the size of your hand will kill you so you create a base feel pretty cool and that's that but NO that is not that I assume unknown worlds are currently making/working on a way that will make the game all around more dangerous because weather you admit it or not we all know danger makes a game more fun, take the last of us for example at any point you could be attacked by anything, a zombie or a bandit.

All I am really saying is the game should have NO completely safe spots and should be all around more dangerous.

• Joe_HoganJoe_Hogan England Join Date: 2015-11-07 Member: 209067Members
    I believe what people are trying to say is that at all times there should be danger.

• rainer128rainer128 United states Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209096Members
    edited November 2015
    Joe_Hogan wrote: »
    I believe what people are trying to say is that at all times there should be danger.

yeah currently the only time it feels remotely dangerous is at night but as for the all time thing I do have one thing you could probably agree with and this is the capsule. my problem I run into is I wish there at lowest was a 50meter in all directions repel for the big creatures (reaper) and up as I have literally been spawn trapped by them so you have to give a little wiggle room there as for what you're saying yes, I think danger is not at the standards most people that want that kind of thing desire but anyhow joe_Hogan would you care to throw some examples out here that you're wanting to see? I am quite curious.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I have to admit, I agree. I can name maybe half of a dozen creatures that I actually consider a possible threat (freaking bleeders, man). I mean, sure, they can add all of the aggressive creatures they want... but that doesn't make them a threat. Normal attack-you enemies, like stalkers, are actually pretty easy to deal with. It's the unique ones like bleeders, Reapers, mesmers, and so on that are actually dangerous. So, I say that while they can add all the aggressive fauna they want, it doesn't make survival any harder unless they make them unique.
    I don't know what game you lot are playing with your constant moaning about "no real dangers!" I am attacked a lot; by clouds of red biters in the grassy plateau (in the end I had to jump into my Seamoth and ram them all), sand sharks, those other shark things, stalkers in the kelpforests, and I got attacked by an electric fish in the bloodkelp. They seemto like the taste of me.

Sorry pal, there is a big difference between beeing a nuisance and beeing dangerous. Only because biters attack players on sight doesn't make them dangerous. With equipped fins the player is faster than biters and the knife has a longer range than them. You could easily kill hundreds of them by just swimming backwards and keep slashing.
    Sand Sharks have a very little aggro zone and a especially low vertical awareness, often you can just swim along with them and they don't bother. Stalkers and Bone Sharks - just juke 'em and slash 'em.
    Sounds like most of you never even leave the safety of the Safeshallows. :wink:

Hahahaha...

Warning: blunt comment incoming

You need to rethink your strategies if you are having trouble surviving in this game. Being annoyed and being in mortal danger are two very different things, consider what you're saying carefully
  • AlexHoundAlexHound St. Peterburg Join Date: 2015-10-23 Member: 208694Members

It is necessary to make a game more realistic? Do you REALLY want to take control of your rebreather? Turnig swithces and looking at the watch?

With the knife i can defend myself from multiple stalkers/bonesharks at once and whenever I run out of oxygen I just drop down a corridor with a hatch and I'll be fine.

IN a hardmode?

• AlexHoundAlexHound St. Peterburg Join Date: 2015-10-23 Member: 208694Members
    I'm sorry for overquoting )
    edited November 2015
    AlexHound wrote: »
    It is necessary to make a game more realistic? Do you REALLY want to take control of your rebreather? Turnig swithces and looking at the watch?

Never said anything about making the game more realistic... just that I never feel threatened, that i can survive ANYWHERE with just a knife and builder tool, some building material with exception for the rediated area around the Aurora. Give me a full radiation suit and that area is also a piece of cake.

And thats the problem. IMO anything beyond safe shallows and kelp forest shouldn't be survivable with just that much basic gear. At this point a lot of crafting stuff is just there to be cool, but isn't really needed for the players survivability.
    AlexHound wrote: »
    Xadie wrote:
    With the knife i can defend myself from multiple stalkers/bonesharks at once and whenever I run out of oxygen I just drop down a corridor with a hatch and I'll be fine.

IN a hardmode?

It's not like in hardmode creatures are stronger - so "even" in hardmode not a problem to survive multiple bonesharks attaking. Just keep moving and dodging. Just few slashes at them makes them flee.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited November 2015
    I'd rather not have bases arbitrarily attacked. It doesn't make any sense. Besides, hull strength alone would ward off anything smaller than a reaper.

Creatures that stalk the player sound much more appropriate and logical. Besides, we haven't seen everything the game has to offer - spike traps especially.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2015
    Ok i dont know if its already said i cant read all of this but as far as i know, "base hopping" as OP called it fittingly wont be possible in the finished game.

Then there is the part about being able to kill multiple stalkers with just a knife, the main problem is that you as a HUMAN, can outmaneuver FISH. Stalkers, Bonesharks and Sandsharks should be more agile and also faster, right now the only fish thats faster than you is the reaper. This would be enough for the shallow biomes. Im against any more threats in the beginning biomes, just make the stalkers and everything else less lazy would be a good idea.

Then we have the deeper biomes. The shocker is pretty much passive and poses no threat it seems. I never had problems with it i play in survival on experimental right now and the blood kelp was spooky, yes, but nothing really dangerous. Then in the jellyshrooms we now have the snake things i just forgot the name of them. oh yeah crabsnakes. They are an actual threat! But thats still not enough i think. And with that i mean not enough threat in general, but enough threats in the jellyshrooms. Right now the Bonesharks in the Grand Reef seem to be non existent so im guessing developers will be adding something new, and hopefully more dangerous in there soon.

This has been my 2 cents.