Spark Detailing Exercise

FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited December 2015 in Mapping
I was thinking it might be fun to have a small and regular mapping/detailing exercise where I throw out a theme (and possibly some restrictions) and then we all build a small room according to that theme.

It'd be a creative exercise similar to Pixeldailies and Sketchdailies on Twitter (but not daily), and everyone will be able to give feedback to each other and learn. The idea is to get better and more comfortable at detailing an area.

Examples might be:

o Build an elevator inside an elevator shaft.
o Build a medical bay only using Descent textures and props.
o Build the interior of a garage for the derelict_apv prop, but don't use any Biodome/Derelict textures/props.

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't really like the limits on something like "using only descent textures and props," as I intend to design some textures for whatever the project is. The more vague the better. :neutral:

If we do have winners, I think it'd be cool to have separate categories such as "most interesting use of space," or something of the sort. In all, I think this is an excellent way for people to learn how to use Spark and design something that others can appreciate.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    but I would like to give feedback aswell (why can I only select one possibility)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Zavaro Yeah, I wouldn't want to throw in too many restrictions, but every now and again restrictions really help. Pixeldailies does this occasionally, noting the theme and then adding "4 colour, 32x32px" which can be a lot of fun.

@Mephiles I didn't want to add too many options. :D You picked the option that explains why you cannot participate though, which is the most informative for me. Thanks!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Just don't have the time, but would love to see what others make! :)
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited October 2015
    Im such a noob on spark editor (im still trying to figure out basic stuff and things) and for some reason it lags alot and i can't see what textures/models i te to use. But i would like to do some chalanges when i figure it out!
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome idea, sadly i just dont have enough free time to put into making or doing anything. Maybe in the future when i get more free time, yes.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    No guarantee what I make will be any good... but I'm at least willing to try it out and have some fun with it :)
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kasharic wrote: »
    No guarantee what I make will be any good... but I'm at least willing to try it out and have some fun with it :)

My thoughts exactly. I just want to see what cool stuff people come up with. Even the most basic things can be cool.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah, the purpose of this isn't to necessarily make something good, but to learn and get better.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I voted I would not participate, but that means I would not participate this one. I may participate in a future 2nd exercise depending on my time available.
    I think I have an interesting theme all ready for the next exercise, but I'm not sure whether those who might participate want a lengthier interbellum of sorts. So I'm wondering how much time between exercises feels comfortable. Anyone up for the next one yet?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Here's another idea perhaps. rebuild an area from your favorite NS map as a tribute of some sorts :)

Or maybe what I did in the post your screenshots thread, build something cool by combining props (max prop amount/type perhaps)
    I think I have an interesting theme all ready for the next exercise, but I'm not sure whether those who might participate want a lengthier interbellum of sorts. So I'm wondering how much time between exercises feels comfortable. Anyone up for the next one yet?

I will defintly participate but i need to reinstall Windows and that will defintly take a lot of time so i would like mabey a week more?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I propose the idea of making a detailed room, without the use of trim :P

nsl_mineshaft hasn't had any feedback gameplay wise for a while so I have nothing to work on at the moment, I would likely take part in a new one... I didn't have time to take part in the previous one unfortunately... but my entry will be bad :P
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i propose you each design a room entirely of game props, no geometry
    I don't yet know how succesful SDE#2 will be, but I know a few people opted out after figuring out the workload required for their entry. I also feel the submission dates, since it's an exercise, don't really work the same as a motivating deadline.

For SDE#3 I am considering actually turning it into a contest. (I don't know the theme yet, but I do have a few ideas written down.) I'd like to gather some thoughts on this.

1. Would you like to participate in a contest? Why, or why not?
    2. Who should judge the contest? A poll open to the public? A few "expert" judges?
    3. Prizes... any ideas?
    I don't yet know how succesful SDE#2 will be, but I know a few people opted out after figuring out the workload required for their entry. I also feel the submission dates, since it's an exercise, don't really work the same as a motivating deadline.

For SDE#3 I am considering actually turning it into a contest. (I don't know the theme yet, but I do have a few ideas written down.) I'd like to gather some thoughts on this.

1. Would you like to participate in a contest? Why, or why not?
    2. Who should judge the contest? A poll open to the public? A few "expert" judges?
    3. Prizes... any ideas?

1. Yeah i would like to participate (getting close to a solution)
    2. Both i guess
    3. Anything ns2 related...
    #gorgeplushie
    Hello! Since Caged got released with the game I've been taking some time off from mapping, but having recently bought an apartment I started rebuilding my new place in the editor so I can do some planning for furniture, and now the mapping bug seems to be coming back.

Having scoured the forums for recent activity I am wondering if anyone might be interested in another (small) edition of the Spark Detailing Exercise. The four exercises we did before have shown me that a solid size restriction gives participants a better chance of finishing their submission, so I would probably put in a similar size limit to SDE#1 (256x256 units).

Sooo... any takers?
    I am sooooo down for this!
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    In the spirit of March Mod Madness how about helping out a mod by competing to make the best section of an obstacle area for a Gorge Run map?

After the competition is complete I will stitch all of the entries together into a Gorge Run map and everyone is a winner!

Here are some screenshots from the first two maps to give you some ideas of what it could be.

Vertical drop
    81vaj21szj1v.jpg
    Jumpy type platform rooms
    tyqu81n8xz0v.jpg
    uscgoi775rrx.jpg
    a6ern5buw73n.jpg
    Super Crusher
    j9s63erb5ad0.jpg
    Clog wall challenge
    iqjlyo721xc6.jpg
    Slides
    szblu4bnlip3.jpg
    tyesovct4d6s.jpg
    Might look familiar
    09lfje0eb29q.jpg
    p8168lfswz13.jpg

I bet you guys can do better! What do you say?
    I believe the spark detailing exercise ideas have always been set around... well... detailing.

There is certainly a level of creativity needed for your gorge run maps Tin Can, but there are issues with the two crossing over.

1. The detailing exercises can push past the boundries of what the engine is supposed to support, so high detailed areas can perform incredibly badly in an in game scenario... the beauty is that these aren't intended for play, but instead at a way of pushing yourself to become better at making things look pretty as hell, and taking inspiration from each other to make us all better mappers.
    2. The restraints of the exercises are generally intended to keep you on theme, with a set idea in mind... what you propose is, well... unlimited options, anything you can think of can be done, which reduces the likelihood of us being able to learn from each other and appreciate the different spins, twists and perspectives people can put on the predefined limits of the exercise.

I definitely think there is a place for what you're proposing, and I don't doubt there will be plenty of people willing to help out and take part to create some brilliantly bizarre obstacles... I just think this isn't necessary the right place.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    I concur, those screenshots seem more fitting in the The Post Your Screenshots Thread! thread. In short this thread is about a "theme of the day" and pushing that to/beyond a max detail sort of exercise.

I guess in terms of interesting stuff to jump on. I definitely like those fans as a jumpy platform drop of dewm, I hope there's fall damage on the Gorgies, where extreme drops are concerned!
    @TinCan By all means, I'd love for you to get a cool group effort going and stitching together a Gorge Run map from a fun competition. But as @Kasharic and @Kouji_San said, this sounds more like a creativity challenge than a detail challenge.
    Im realy missing this can't we bring it back to life?
    I think Flat tried not too long back but there just wasn't enough interest.

I'd love to do it, and I would hope that because we now have a few mappers actively working on maps, more people would be interested.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I've set out to create maps several times now, but it's a daunting task.
    BUT, creating little snippets sounds awesome, we could put them in a central repo and use them as building blocks for complete maps!
    Please revive this idea! :]
    .trixX. wrote: »
    BUT, creating little snippets sounds awesome, we could put them in a central repo and use them as building blocks for complete maps!

That idea has been tried so many times now, prefab hallways to slap together a map in a few ... slaps. the idea is sound as it would also give the opportunity to very quickly iterate layouts and see what works and what doesn't. But, somehow it's not picked up as eagerly as we imagine it to be picked up :worried:
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    .trixX. wrote: »

That idea has been tried so many times now, prefab hallways to slap together a map in a few ... slaps. the idea is sound as it would also give the opportunity to very quickly iterate layouts and see what works and what doesn't. But, somehow it's not picked up as eagerly as we imagine it to be picked up :worried:

Probably because we need a bunch of uniform and existing art pieces that all connect to each other with minimal effort for it work well, and an editor that supports it at a drag and drop level of use.
    Spark is still quite fiddly for that indeed...