Dangers to Seabases/Cyclops

CyanaukkiCyanaukki Germany Join Date: 2015-10-22 Member: 208671Members
I just recently tried out a hull breach at the Cyclops and it was really cool, it flipped over and I could barely move through it and repair.

It happens quite rarely though and I would love to see more ways such a thing could happen to the Cyclops or even to Seabases e.g. certain types of Fauna being able to breach through the hull or fragile spots like windows or being able to defend yourself against these attacks by reinforcements.

Thinking further, I had the Idea that maybe small kind of Fauna could even enter the Seabase/Cyclops after it's breached, it would maybe make the Bulkhead a little more useful but that's also maybe a little too much fantasy.

Me personaly, I'd love to see these things in Subnautica but I'd also like to know what other people think of it. :)

Comments

• Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited October 2015
    Cyanaukki wrote: »
    I just recently tried out a hull breach at the Cyclops and it was really cool, it flipped over and I could barely move through it and repair.

It happens quite rarely though and I would love to see more ways such a thing could happen to the Cyclops or even to Seabases e.g. certain types of Fauna being able to breach through the hull or fragile spots like windows or being able to defend yourself against these attacks by reinforcements.

Thinking further, I had the Idea that maybe small kind of Fauna could even enter the Seabase/Cyclops after it's breached, it would maybe make the Bulkhead a little more useful but that's also maybe a little too much fantasy.

Me personaly, I'd love to see these things in Subnautica but I'd also like to know what other people think of it. :)

That's not a comforting thought, Cyanaukki.

The Cyclops and base structures are the only places where timid folks like me can feel truly safe in Subnautica.

Yes, I'm prepared to go toe-to-toe with a Reaper on his own turf, but I also like the idea of being able to run for cover if things don't go so well.

As for having smaller fauna invading the base after a breach... Let's just say NOPE.

Trying to seal breached sections that have become infested with Bleeders, Cave Crawlers and Biter Fish is not my idea of A Fun Time.
    Blasting them away with the Repulsion Cannon will only make things worse. Discovered this little nugget of information the hard way.
    Not a good idea, at all.

• CyanaukkiCyanaukki Germany Join Date: 2015-10-22 Member: 208671Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

That's not a comforting thought.

The Cyclops and base structures are the only places where folks like me can feel truly safe in Subnautica.

Yes, I'm prepared to go toe-to-toe with a Reaper on his own turf, but I also like the idea of being able to run for cover if things don't go so well.

As for having smaller fauna invading the base after a breach... Let's just say NOPE.

Trying to seal breached sections that have become infested with Bleeders and Biter Fish is not my idea of a Fun Time.

Jumpers or Peepers, maybe. Just not those other nasty little buggers.

I would definitely take away these "safe spots" but I think as long as it's balanced and there are good ways to defend yourself and/or protect your base by building and maybe fighting ( I'm not sure about fighting) I'm okay with it. Subnautica looked like it was supposed to be a little "spooky" in the trailer and I think things like that would fit fine if that's what they're going for.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I would definitely take away these "safe spots" but I think as long as it's balanced and there are good ways to defend yourself and/or protect your base by building and maybe fighting ( I'm not sure about fighting) I'm okay with it. Subnautica looked like it was supposed to be a little "spooky" in the trailer and I think things like that would fit fine if that's what they're going for.

Spooky is good. Spooky is already happening.
    You should be very, very afraid of what is lurking down in the depths. The worst is yet to come.

Since I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that massively-lethal weapons aren't going to happen in Subnautica, your comment comes as a bit of a surprise.

- Not to mention sounding more than just a little bit masochistic. O.o

You actually want to be totally defenceless against Reapers and their nasty mates attacking your Cyclops or bases?

Yikes.

As far as I'm aware, there are no additional protective measures planned for bases or the Cyclops. It was an act of pure kindness that The Devs gave us the Vortex Torpedoes and the Perimeter Defence Field for the Seamoth, and my idea of base defence turrets has been shot down harder than the Aurora on many occasions. Not holding my breath until that situation changes, either.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Lasers.

No, I don't mean like the YAL-1, the LaWS, or any of the other modern high-energy, potentially lethal lasers. I mean something more like the PEP, which is not. Basically, it fires a laser beam, which makes a shockwave on impact that knocks humans off their feet. Have a similar, albeit stronger, thing in game, which will cause fish to be rolled over dozens of times by the blast, disorienting them. Not lethal, but very effective.
  • CyanaukkiCyanaukki Germany Join Date: 2015-10-22 Member: 208671Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

Spooky is good. Spooky is already happening.
    You should be very, very afraid of what is lurking down in the depths. The worst is yet to come.

Since I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that massively-lethal weapons aren't going to happen in Subnautica, your comment comes as a bit of a surprise.

- Not to mention sounding more than just a little bit masochistic. O.o

You actually want to be totally defenceless against Reapers and their nasty mates attacking your Cyclops or bases?

Yikes.

As far as I'm aware, there are no additional protective measures planned for bases or the Cyclops. It was an act of pure kindness that The Devs gave us the Vortex Torpedoes and the Perimeter Defence Field for the Seamoth, and my idea of base defence turrets has been shot down harder than the Aurora on many occasions. Not holding my breath until that situation changes, either.

Hrrmm well idk maybe I just want the game to be more dangerous and scary but maybe it wouldn't even have to fauna but something else, I just think that the way Seabases and Cyclops can leak and drop to the floor are really cool but there are "not enough reasons" for it to happen

Basically I would want these things to be safer but not safe.
  • JonathanDoeJonathanDoe here Join Date: 2015-10-19 Member: 208596Members
    I posted something similar a few days ago, so I definitely agree. Safe is a relative term, and I don't want something that kills Cyclops and bases like reapers kill seamoths, but having to scramble to save yourself? Absolutely.
  • tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
    That is why we need some kind of base defense system, like perimeter defense zapper, only a bigger one. Also, some AI on predators. Lurkers could be waiting for us at the hatch exit for a nice ass-bite, others might just be rampaging around, causing some floods, but eventually go away. none should fully destroy it, they would only want to say: Hey man, down here, you are nothing, but a SURVIVOR.
    Yes, this is a survival game, so I want something that can be survived, that means NO TOTALLY SAFE SPOTS. At least when I get chased to my base, the chaser could go angry, not being able to kill me, and could do some show that MIGHT damage the base. Same goes for cyclops, quite realistically.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I think that if you are being chased and you enter your base then the creature that was chasing you should attack (ram) the base for a few minutes then leave. While it is attacking the base it should do some damage (this is dependent on the level of integrity you have versus the creature itself).
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    These kinds of features are coming in a future update. Fauna will try to attack our bases and we will be able to use spotlights and other defenses to ward them off.
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    You wouldn't want something to be going terribly wrong constantly in sub or base. That wouldn't even go with the fact that this is futuristic even though accidents happen and you can be attacked. Doesn't mean that creatures would do this on a regular basis nor would your equipment continue to have glitches that can render them useless or have them in need to be repaired. The further you progress, the stronger you become and the more you are safe from these threats. I hope that you can eventually make bases a complete safe haven from outside threats and that if anything does glitch out to flood the base or place it on fire it will be of structural integrity due to human error. There really are enough threats now present in the game and I am sure a few more will present themselves at a later date but there really needs to be more lighter side of interest to the game as well. Progress needs to be led on all fronts and not constantly of need of conflict to be in game. Opposition is great but we get that right at the start and through progressing we do have obstacles to overcome in order to survive and to continue to survive while trying to explore, have fun and being aware of our own well being. I think more natural challenges will be present eventually but till such time I think one should wait and be patient for what the developers are adding and working on for the experience that they are wanting to drive us as the players to have and not solely on the desired experiences we would want.
  • Joe_HoganJoe_Hogan England Join Date: 2015-11-07 Member: 209067Members
    you're right, to be honest this game could use some more excitement in it. I have a few ideas how the you could improve the game: make it possible for creatures to attack your base and subs; be able to defend your base/sub by attaching weapons like lazers, automatic stasis rifles and underwater gatling guns; creatures like the lithiathon, gasopod, stalker, crash, sandshark, jellyray, boneshark and the reefback should be able to damage your base/sub; also smaller creatures such as the peeper, hoopfish, holefish, garryfish, airsack and boomerang should be able to break air systems and water systems.
    accidents happen...

"Oops, I accidentally the button again."

And with those words, every hatch in the base opens, letting the relentless assault of the sea make its way into the deepest recesses of your once-sacred home. And then you're screwed.
    I would still like to have a hatch that can be opened like the bulkheads to make entering and exiting the base more realistic.
    paradine wrote: »
    I would still like to have a hatch that can be opened like the bulkheads to make entering and exiting the base more realistic.

This.

All of the things that can be animated, I say, animate them.

I was really excited when I saw that the devs were adding ladder-climbing animations. Entry hatches opening and closing would be even better. Come to think of it, those hatches are one-layer systems. How does the base not flood the instant you use them?
    I always have a bulkhead at the opposite end of a corridor to the external hatch on my bases.