B277 : About Editor.exe

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,
I think the function to align textures using the Alt key is broken.
Anyone confirms ? Changed ? (yeah i saw the new button)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hi,
    I think the function to align textures using the Alt key is broken.
    Anyone confirms ? Changed ? (yeah i saw the new button)

Hmm? I can assign textures by selecting a face, and alt+clicking on another face just fine. Is that what you're talking about?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Hmm? I can assign textures by selecting a face, and alt+clicking on another face just fine. Is that what you're talking about?

I knew it was not aligning properly when we have different angles (not planar). But it worked in delivering a close 'guess' that was ok or didn't need to do it manually.

But here I'm sure it's worse.
    It was never perfect but acceptable.
    For this one the result was better in the previous version.
    tgzckw83rmyq.jpg

Up to some case where nothing is right.
    Group 1 is acceptable but 2 and 3 are totally broken.
    s47a3zzut13w.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I knew it was not aligning properly when we have different angles (not planar). But it worked in delivering a close 'guess' that was ok or didn't need to do it manually.

But here I'm sure it's worse.
    It was never perfect but acceptable.
    For this one the result was better in the previous version.
    tgzckw83rmyq.jpg

Up to some case where nothing is right.
    Group 1 is acceptable but 2 and 3 are totally broken.
    s47a3zzut13w.jpg

I'm confused. What is it you think is supposed to be happening? It sounds like you're wanting it to sort of wrap the texture around onto the adjacent faces. When you alt+click from one face to the next, it copies the mapping settings from one face to the other. It does absolutely nothing to attempt texture continuity. Try it. You'll notice the "shift x/y" values don't change at all, but they would need to if there was any sort of matching happening.

I HAVE considered adding this functionality however... :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    From my outdated experience, that is what happened everytime I tried to texture something.

It's even worse when you do it with the model at an odd height, textures always seemed to align to the world instead of the object they were on, lol.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    From my outdated experience, that is what happened everytime I tried to texture something.

It's even worse when you do it with the model at an odd height, textures always seemed to align to the world instead of the object they were on, lol.

If you want to move something without the textures sliding off, use texture lock.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    LoL, yeah, I eventually figured that out, but was just pointing out that when I was mapping, which I haven't done now for 4 years in spark, the texture issues were the same, it's not got any worse, or better, lol.