Bring back old style AND new style!

Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
Everybody knows those Nostalgic days were Fades were 50 pres and Onoses were 75 pres! But more importantly things like Skulk strafing and Shadowstep, and even things they never added such as HMGs. Who else would want to see some old features back along with all the new features. Any Developers that would be interested in hearing me out, please feel free to comment, I'd love to share my ideas with a realistic possibility of Implementation ^_^. Thanks bros!

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like you want a mix of b249 classic mod mixed with comp mod.
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    Nordic wrote: »

Would you agree, or disagree?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I don't understand the question. What is there to agree or disagree with?
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Oh no, I like my 40 pres celerity fade very much. Shadowstep was fun to play with, sure, but it was so frustrating to aim at as marines. By skulk strafing, do you mean the reverse bhop? If so, I think the speed was way too much.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bring back OP gorge tunnels, made Base rushing much more exciting, people whinged about OPness clearly don't know how much damage 8 marines equipped with 16 cluster grenades can do
    edited October 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Bring back OP gorge tunnels, made Base rushing much more exciting, people whinged about OPness clearly don't know how much damage 8 marines equipped with 16 cluster grenades can do
    Last week or so, I played on docking and aliens decided to do a gorge rush on terminal. We placed tunnels and hydras near the entrance to east wing and it was all out of marine los. Since the server lost a lot of players, we were trolling a bit by just camping behind clogs and spitting marines. In turn, a lot of them were armory humping. The server started getting full again, marine comm researched nades, and it was like the 4th of July as scores of seemingly endless cluster nades obliterated us. It was the most drawn out cacophony of cluster nade sounds I've ever heard.
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    edited October 2015
    Karnaj wrote: »
    Oh no, I like my 40 pres celerity fade very much. Shadowstep was fun to play with, sure, but it was so frustrating to aim at as marines. By skulk strafing, do you mean the reverse bhop? If so, I think the speed was way too much.

I mean yes, I'm not saying bring back the 50 pres Fade and 75 pres Onos XD. I'm saying bring back things (yes) like Skulk Strafing, where the more momentum you build up by jumping off walls, ceilings and such makes you faster, and even make Shadowstep, idk, an unlockable trait in the evolution menu, so the comm can ASK his fades whether they would like Metabolism or Shadowstep, even though they would mostly choose Metabolism, for the people who miss Shadowstep, they could have it again, or even keybind Shadowstep to two 'w' clicks, so if you pushed forward twice in rapid succession, then you would Shadowstep forward. Tell me what you think, what do YOU wan't back : )
    Let's try and get these suggestions to the Devs, but we have to figure it out between ourselves FIRST.

I don't understand the question. What is there to agree or disagree with?

Do you wan't these features, or do you wan't other old features, or are you good with what we have? Agree or Disagree?
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Changing something causes a ripple in the forces of mother-nature and may divert the course of Natural Selection.
    I was sad to see shadowstep go. After b250 fades just were not any fun anymore. So I went from mostly playing fade to mostly playing lerk.

There is not too much I want to see brought back from the past. Just some minor balance tweaks mostly. I really want to see flamethrower's have a faster rate of fire. I don't have any grand plans myself.
    Changing something causes a ripple in the forces of mother-nature and may divert the course of Natural Selection.

lol XD, creative dude!
    I was sad to see shadowstep go. After b250 fades just were not any fun anymore. So I went from mostly playing fade to mostly playing lerk.

There is not too much I want to see brought back from the past. Just some minor balance tweaks mostly. I really want to see flamethrower's have a faster rate of fire. I don't have any grand plans myself.

Yeah, maybe we can get this to the devs, see if shadowstep can be re- implemented!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys talk of shadowstep as if it's just a matter of preference.

Shadowstep was ridiculously powerful and way too easy to use. It happens to be the case, that you can actually do some pretty advanced stuff with blink, that you can't with shadowstep. But most players I think, would want shadowstep - not because it's a preference, but because it's better in the majority of cases - and easier to use across the board.

But shadowstep is better than blink, at the expense of balance.

I liked to play fade as well back when shadowstep was the default - but I realize now, how much easier fading was in those days.

Fades today are already quite strong, they don't need this buff imo.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easy, remove metabolize and bring back shadowstep. :tongue:

I miss the high agility of the earlier fades with their double jump and shadow steps, nowadays it's just an ns1 fade without the high health and acid rockets.

I don't know if shadowstep should be brought back. I just say I miss it. My opinion on shadowstep vs blink is based on fun I had using, not on balance. When I play ns2 combat, I almost always go shadowstep fade just to have that fun again.
    Easy, remove metabolize and bring back shadowstep. :tongue:

I miss the high agility of the earlier fades with their double jump and shadow steps, nowadays it's just an ns1 fade without the high health and acid rockets.

Now that you mention it, they should bring back acid rocket. It works quite well in siege mod and it would be an great replacement for useless old stab. It would work well in mid/late game since you'd have a choice of engaging more safely from afar instead of getting insta-killed by gl spam and jp shotties.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't play ns1 - but how in the world do you punish a fade that's just spamming projectiles? Lerks are too squishy to sustain fire on marines late game, but fades can do that all day..

If it's a 3rd hive upgrade, sure pour it on, not like xenocide isn't already game ending. -but at this point, I think it's just a wasted effort; given that 3rd hive games are so niche.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I didn't play ns1 - but how in the world do you punish a fade that's just spamming projectiles? Lerks are too squishy to sustain fire on marines late game, but fades can do that all day..

If it's a 3rd hive upgrade, sure pour it on, not like xenocide isn't already game ending. -but at this point, I think it's just a wasted effort; given that 3rd hive games are so niche.

That's a great question. I actually don't remember much of NS1 even though I sunk a lot of hours into it. It's just been too long and I was a teen back then. Acid rocket is in NS2's siege mod, however, and it's been a lot more fun to use compared to stab. Since siege is such a different beast compared to vanilla NS2 (e.g. huge rooms and a lot more turtling), acid rocket would probably need to be re-balanced for the latter.

Currently, acid rocket has a medium energy expenditure and you need to use metabolize every third or so attack in order to keep energy even. It discourages the use of blink and it can make you careless of your surroundings since it encourages spamming at all types of targets. It's interesting to note that acid rocket does HP damage once armor is depleted. I'm not sure if there's damage falloff, but it felt like it. I'm pretty sure swipe is more energy efficient for taking down marines and structures once their armor is gone, so I found myself going in for swipes after a while. At any rate, JP shotties, HMGs, GLs, and exos counter acid rocket fades nicely, especially if you flank them.

In vanilla NS2, I think acid rocket in its siege form would be less effective (still a lot better than stab) since most rooms aren't as big as the ones on siege maps. Fades have to peak around corners for los, so gl spam would effectively deter them. Of course xenocide is a better game-ender, but acid rocket would be nice to have nonetheless if you manage to survive as fade all the way up to late game. The only reason I suggest acid rocket is that it's simply better and more useful than stab. I wouldn't be opposed to an entirely new ability either.
    In ns2:combat acid rocket is used more like a lower damage long range bile bomb. It is best used to soften up marine/s to make them easier to swipe. It can be used to damage structures, but really is not a good use of time. Damaging structures with acid rocket is more harrassment than anything.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Speaking of Shadow Step, I have an idea I plan to test out in my NS2: Evolved mod. Perhaps SS and Blink could be merged into a new form of Blink, since every veteran taps Blink instead of charging it nowadays.

Holding Blink would delay Blink until the button/key is released, and the longer that Blink charged, the stronger the initial force of the Blink.
    Speaking of Shadow Step, I have an idea I plan to test out in my NS2: Evolved mod. Perhaps SS and Blink could be merged into a new form of Blink, since every veteran taps Blink instead of charging it nowadays.

Holding Blink would delay Blink until the button/key is released, and the longer that Blink charged, the stronger the initial force of the Blink.

Your the creator of Ns2 Evolved? Awesome!
    edited November 2015

So kinda like a ShadowBlink? Where you cant fly, but you can basically teleport from one end of a room to another, by holding the button down?
    Btw, if any of you guys wan't to play an older build of Ns2, back with Shadowstep, just implemented Onos, no phantom, etc. then go to this link.
    http://oceanofgames.com/natural-selection-2-free-download/
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I just want mine ladders back. They were taken out on accident when some collision code changed. 15pres to get in a vent is reasonable as hell.
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I just want mine ladders back. They were taken out on accident when some collision code changed. 15pres to get in a vent is reasonable as hell.

wow! I guess I came into Ns2 a little late! I didn't know those existed!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2015
    Poor fade, it has seen way too many bad abilities in it's lifetime. Stab, is well, useless, metab is button-spam (except when u want quiet), both the vortex tp and building disable were 'meh' at best.

Also, if memory served correctly, didnt the fade used to have an actual teleport in some video?

I wouldn't mind bringing back shadowstep, but only if it were to be reworked.
    @Cabinetduck1147, if you did not know there is an edit function.
    ybfey5C.png

With it you can edit your post instead of making a new one a minute later.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Ok that new feature is on Steam Workshop. Have fun testing it!
    @Cabinetduck1147, if you did not know there is an edit function.
    ybfey5C.png

With it you can edit your post instead of making a new one a minute later.

Yes, I know. I've done that a lot.