Spark Detailing Exercise #1: Snowed-In

Comments

• [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    My pleasure but...

I finished my very small room.... :neutral:
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members

Sounds like the editor isn't being allowed to read/write from the texture thumnail cache location for some reason... :(

Have you tried running the editor in administrator mode?

No i havn't done that. How does one do that?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    My own room is pretty much done too. I may review it this week to see if it could do with any additional detail. Then I will probably make it "playable" enough to put on the workshop. It'll essentially be just a ready room, similar to my Church Of Onos.

I suppose the naming convention for the mod, if you're going to put it on the workshop, ought to be ns2_sde1_mapname, the 'sde1' part indicating it's a Spark Detailing Exercise #1 entry.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Woohoo! If you're done with your scene, you can start posting things tomorrow. Remember, the latest due date is monday, so if you're not done yet make sure to use this weekend to finish up!
    edited October 2015
    Shit! If i won't fix the problem i won't be Done sorry.
    I've realy tried man.
    lussebull wrote: »
    I've realy tried man.
    I'm sorry to hear you still have those problems. I'm puzzled as to what causes your textures/props to not load. If you can and are willing, I'd still love to see you post what you greyboxed and describe what you had in mind.
    edited October 2015
    I've realy tried man.
    I'm sorry to hear you still have those problems. I'm puzzled as to what causes your textures/props to not load. If you can and are willing, I'd still love to see you post what you greyboxed and describe what you had in mind.

Found something.
    Could it be that i got no program to read the models?
    ixxhngt471ep.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've realy tried man.

Found something.
    ixxhngt471ep.jpg

No. The models are a proprietary format, and the textures are a non-consumer format. It's expected that there's no program associated with these files.

You ARE able to play the game though, right?
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I've realy tried man.

Found something.
    ixxhngt471ep.jpg

No. The models are a proprietary format, and the textures are a non-consumer format. It's expected that there's no program associated with these files.

You ARE able to play the game though, right?
    Yeah i can play the game
    But what can the problem be then?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I shall post mine later today! Also, looks legit, Flat!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ok, i tried myself at it.
    I have tons of scripterrors that i can't get rid off, but oh well.
    Also the screenshots look worse i think than the level ingame...
    http://imgur.com/a/yIJFw

you can download the map here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tozw31eqklppl4y/ns2_sde1_icepath.zip?dl=0

PS: There might be a hidden gorge plushie...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    @Asraniel Reminds me of Doom3 with it's spooky lighting and ns_leïa by @kawak, that map never was finished but did a very good job with black and white lighting theme (with some tiny green and red highlights iirc)
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    ok here is my screens ...

I hope this is good.

98u3jqzjf6eo.jpg
    t655m3zveu5f.jpg
    dn6mq85hauu8.jpg
    hwbk21oakch9.jpg

download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3qurpx2l93yg7f/SNOWED-IN.level?dl=0

Edit: Flaterectomy Your work is spectacular !!!!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    While I didn't finish it due to general business, I think it still gets my general idea across. I wanted to go for this large collapsed bit over a canyon, with the flayed wires and broken structure jutting out over it. Overall, it was super fun, and a great idea. I'd love to participate again.
    IN65qAI.jpg

Here's the workshop link!

EDIT: Also not sure where Flat got those awesome icicle things.
    edited October 2015
    Awesome guys, I'm really glad to see your entries! :smiley: I will have a look at them in-game/editor tomorrow and will do my best to give useful constructive criticism. And I invite you to do the same, of course.

EDIT: After editing the first session of my mapping footage I just slapped the other session behind it and found it's around 3 hours. I will probably release them in a more episodic format I suppose. May take some time.
    @Asraniel

First off I want to say how happy I am that you took my exercise as an opportunity to learn the editor. I'll do my best to provide feedback you can actually use.

I like the concept of the suspended platform, and how you played with the 256x256 unit requirement. It's a creative way to defy the requirement, which I approve of wholeheartedly. The suspension cables make me wish for some sort of elasticity and physics simulation in the Spark engine to make the platform bounce when I jump on it.

I like that you have the warm and cold contrast lighting, but the colours could be a little stronger as they feel a little washed out, and the remaining white lights detract a little from the contrast. The pitch black shadows add a creepiness to some of the nooks and crannies (especially in the ceiling), but there are also a few dark spots on a couple of protruding rock surfaces which makes it difficult to get a real sense for the general silhouette of the room. This also comes across on the icicle that comes out of the broken pipe (I love the concept), which is pocked with black shadowy spots that makes it difficult to tell it apart from the background.

Your scene is prop-heavy, with only the main platform itself and some of the rock floors and ceilings being geometry, so I can't come up with too many suggestions there. I am a known advocate for trimming edges, so that's a thing that could have made your platform more interesting rather than having the single texture on it at the moment (the chosen texture itself might be a little too shiny and clean for the surrounding scene). You did block out space for the props in there to work with the texture, which is good, but adding further trims around the outside edge and around the gratings could have lead to some interesting shapes that blend the geometry and props together. And, of course, the sides of the platform would've been a great spot to slap a trim texture. You did kind of trim the recessed square in the center with the valve on it, as well as the pipes that would connect to the catwalks, so I can tell you get the idea!

I hope you'll join in on the next exercise as well!

PS - I found the plushy! \o/
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Wow, thx for that detailed feedback :)

Yeah i had quite some fun when doing this room. I will try to work on my lights in the future :) glad you found some of the details like the broken pipe with the ice :)

I was indeed more confortable with using probs than actually doing the geometry myself. Its just too tempting to use all those great looking props :D
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I really wish I had time to participate aswell :(
    I only worked on mine a total of like an hour and a half. I'd just say do what you can, Meph, because it's cool to even see what kinds of concepts and brainstorming you can apply to such minimal space.
    I don't know the requirements for the next exercise yet, or if there will even be any, but since these are exercises I expect small rooms will always be viable.

I'll try to throw my feedback at Alex' and Zavaro's submissions later this evening.
    Zavaro wrote: »
    I only worked on mine a total of like an hour and a half. I'd just say do what you can, Meph, because it's cool to even see what kinds of concepts and brainstorming you can apply to such minimal space.

well i made a map it took like 7 hours.... annnnnnddddd it's still grey boxed.....

well i made a map it took like 7 hours.... annnnnnddddd it's still grey boxed.....

Well it's all about experience, I have a lot of experience with the editor. Not as much as Flat, or others, but I have quite a few hours under my belt. Practice makes perfect.
    @[=Alex=]

I expected a pretty high level of detail from you given your experience with all those NS2:Combat maps, and you met that expectation! You have a nice spread of little detail props in the room, the steam cinematics add a nice touch that make the room feel more alive. You certainly took the theme of the exercise to heart and literally had your entry be snowed-in through the hole in the window, and the snow in the exterior feels pretty well placed.

I do feel the lighting could use some colour. More blues outside and some warmer tones inside could create a nice contrast that makes the cold exterior feel colder. Coloured lights would also tie the different textures together better, as the green, grey and blue metal textures inside clash a little. The ambient lights inside and outside are both using white light, as well as the spotlight coming from above. The exterior spotlight intersecting with the interior spotlight creates a shading pattern I'm not too fond of myself, but that might be a personal preference.

I like your detail in the room, but would have liked to see more in the section above the ceiling grate. The walls up there are flat spaces that could be made more interesting with vents, pipes or other little nic nacs. The area behind the door could have done with some kind of suggestion that there's more than just a floor and walls as well. Anything from a piping on the wall to a light spilling from a side entrance.

But I am trying hard to seek out points of improvement, overall it's a very good scene and I hope you'll join us again in the next exercise!
    @Zavaro

What I love most about your entry is the silhouette of the corridor. The way it angles out at the bottom, and back in towards the ceiling, which then recesses upward--it's a great design. The red lights on the sides lighting up the frame of the "windows" (I'll just call them that for now) contrast very nicely with the blue light in the corridor, and I really like how they are echoed in the red line below them on the wall.

You weren't able to finish your entry, so there are obvious areas of detail missing. Especially at the front, where the bridge collapsed, you could've had some spectacular debris and destruction. The Windows on the side would have looked a lot better were they trimmed. That flat pipe prop behind the windows looks as flat as it really is and real piping would have been a nice feature. Also, don't forget to colour your ambient lights.

The shovel in the pile of snow made me laugh. "Oh shit, the entire bridge collapsed. Well... better clean up this snow."
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Haha that shovel is a hilarious little detail indeed :D
    The shovel in the pile of snow made me laugh. "Oh shit, the entire bridge collapsed. Well... better clean up this snow."

Glad you caught my attempt at comedy. I really wanted to make it so that the snow was being mostly removed to view the extent of the damage. Like a pre-repair stage on the bridge. I did plan on adding a ton of detail in the destruction as well, but time was against me this past week thanks to our busy PT and MT related stuff.

I've always been a fan of higher texture definition over more polies, and I think that lighting might actually be better than both in really simplistic tasks like this. I'm not happy with how my windows turned out, initially the hallway was asymmetric, but I hated the design, and the windows were inlaid with an opaque surface too, but I might take that idea and run with it in the future.

Also, you really like pipes, don't you @Flaterectomy ?
    Also, you really like pipes, don't you @Flaterectomy ?
    Almost as much as trims.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer