Build 276 - nVidia driver version 358.50 broke Gsync

2»

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Again exactly as Karnaj describes.
    I like, makes me not need to type walls of text. :D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Ah I see, my Acer XB270H only supports one or the other. Idk if a driver would change that for me, but i'd look into it if they said they added it :) Maybe ill try ulmb anyways for fun. Never have
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Funny.. I have a XB270HA also. (The model sticker says XB270H but its a HA, submodels and all).
    Mine supports both just fine, just not at once. :)
    There is no monitor which does both at once.

Or did you mean yours is only ulmb and not gsync at all?
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Karnaj wrote: »
    @IronHorse I believe your statement is misleading, though. A 144 Hz refresh rate has 6.9 ms~ pixel persistence with or without Gsync functionality. In this case, it's the higher refresh rate of 144 Hz that causes less motion blur (6.9 ms) compared to 60 Hz (16.7 ms). Gsync itself does not reduce motion blur and I haven't been able to find evidence of it doing so over at Blur Busters.

I feel as if we're rehashing and sometimes misunderstanding what Mark Rejhon at Blur Busters has already investigated. Hopefully, it won't be too long until Gsync and ULMB can be combined together.

This is correct and it sort of baffles me that folks jumping from a 60hz screen no longer appreciate the lack of motion blur in a basic 144hz monitor. You have to admit, playing on a 144hz Gsync monitor and sustaining 144fps looks great...lacking far less the motion blur of a 60hz monitor with unlimited fps. Adding Gsync into the equation and eliminating micro stutter and tearing further enhances the perception of less motion blur. But, I get it...ULMB/Lightboost works for some, Gsync for others.

For me it boils down to this:

ULMB:
    Pros: Minimal motion blur

Cons: Stutter, tearing, lower refresh rate (100/120hz), increase input lag due to lower refresh rate.
    May have to use traditional vsync to smooth out ULMB (Vsync can create lag - not good in most shooters.)
    Darker, desaturated.

Gsync:

Fixes most of the ULMB issues. No Stutter or tearing, adapts a higher refresh rate which is variable (144hz is what you paid for), decrease in input lag due to higher refresh rates used.
    Brighter, colorful.

I'm glad I didn't get used to ULMB at 120hz with some stutter/tearing. I used ULMB (lightboost) for a few days and then went back to straight 144hz gameplay on my Benq XL2420TE, albeit capped at 140fps to smooth things out. Then I got hold of an Acer XB270H Gsync monitor, tried ULMB a few times and decided...Nah. I haven't considered ULMB any further. ;)
  • FriendlyNeighbourFriendlyNeighbour North Join Date: 2015-01-25 Member: 201047Members
    So this explains the frequent crashes of late I've been getting since the build 276 with G-Sync.

Downloading the old drivers now.
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So this explains the frequent crashes of late I've been getting since the build 276 with G-Sync.

Downloading the old drivers now.

nVidia released a hotfix for the Battlefront driver 358.59 that fixes the Gsync issue: nVidia Hotfix Driver 358.59
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Funny.. I have a XB270HA also. (The model sticker says XB270H but its a HA, submodels and all).
    Mine supports both just fine, just not at once. :)
    There is no monitor which does both at once.

Or did you mean yours is only ulmb and not gsync at all?

@DC_Darkling Yea it supports both, but not at once, correct. Mine is H, pretty sure, it's the one that only has a single DisplayPort input (extremely unfortunate after a bought Wii U :/ I'd like to have that on the monitor, my TV too old and blurry)