Weird flora on the islands?

ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
i will never understand why on the same island there are: mushrooms, tropical like plants and roses, i mean i know that we are on another planet but most of them also look very similiar to the plants we have on the hearth, what do you guys think? also if you look at the concept art the flora looks very differnt, more mediterranean i would say.

Comments

• ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    I never understood these kinds of complaints This is basically the same as asking why trees from Russia and trees from Africa are both made of wood and have leaves.

More like what are trees from Russia and Africa doing on an alien planet.
  • ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    Wasn't realy complaining, it just didn't make much sense to me

@Naali thanks a lot For the clarification
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Naali wrote: »
    Botanist/forester here. Get ready for some boring:

Plants evolved slowly from Phytoplankton (photosynthetic plankton) to mosslike organisms to ferns, to Gymnosperms....

You're right; that was boring! (just teasing :wink:)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Myrm wrote: »
    Botanist/forester here. Get ready for some boring:

Plants evolved slowly from Phytoplankton (photosynthetic plankton) to mosslike organisms to ferns, to Gymnosperms....

You're right; that was boring! (just teasing :wink:)

You ain't kiddin' I'm still waiting for someone to wake me up :D J/K

i]Posted from an iDream phone, the matrix has me... Still...[/i
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    I'm SUPER fun at parties, especially when I explain how hangovers aren't just due to dehydration, but a chemical byproduct Acetaldehyde... *looks at everyone sleeping* See? They're so interested they have to take a nap to digest all the information!
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    @Naali
    like the whole explanation but Thryan might have a point although the evolutionary path you describe is probably right there are 2 plants that don't really make sense.

first one being the European like tree. this one just seems out of place inside (what I assume to be) tropical biome. just plainly it doesn't seem right and i can't really say why.

the second one is the tulip/rose flower. this is just because it doesn't make sense the there would only be one plant species with such advanced flowers on the entire island especially since there is (so far) no animal capable of going between the flowers and because there is no need to go long distances since the island isn't actually big enough for that. (unless of course there are more islands and floaters have more impact on the rocks they carry then it seems.

also how didn't anyone notice that there are paths on the island. something made those so where is that something?
    Yeah, the "flowering" plants (angiosperms) don't make sense, unless those weird flying critters are like bat pollinators which would be strange because arthropods (specifically insects) are (generally) smaller and limited by oxygen content in the air, so they'd be better pollinators. Though maybe the 20 billion cave crawlers on the island are pollinators?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    The headline says wierd flora on the islands it should rather say normal flora on the islands
  • ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    Too much normal 0/10?
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    If you think about it ---> If the planet can support human life then at least 70% of the life on it has to be carbon based. If it is carbon based then it stands to reason that it may look similar but have a completely alien DNA.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    paradine wrote: »
    If you think about it ---> If the planet can support human life then at least 70% of the life on it has to be carbon based. If it is carbon based then it stands to reason that it may look similar but have a completely alien DNA.

Evolution stand on a lot of different thing, gaz rate on the atmosphere, salt rate on ocean, heights, insect etc etc... a slight difference and every thing change
    For exampl if we do not have insect on Earth, the flora will be entirely different, and by extension the animal feeding on, and by extension all the one feeding on those animal.
    Go with what I said.
    edited October 2015
    Warning, you guys got me thinking about living things and biology again:

@Chris1217 is right. Any small thing could drastically change the way an organism would look. Gravity, Oxygen content in the air, Salinity of the ocean, % landmass and even how that mass is arranged (Big supercontinent? smaller continents spread out? Two islands?). If insects didn't exist our world would be in deep poop (literally. warning, link shows some poop). Insects are detritovores (eats "wastes"), pollinators, food for other animals, they keep forests healthy by creating a disturbance regime, they can vector diseases, parasitize each other or other animals, even change the entire ecosystem by their presence or absence. Fungi and plants are like this too, and even top teir predators have a great affect on what survives and can go on to breed and improve the survivability of prey species. Thought there is one thing that is universally reliable as far as living organisms are concerned, and that's a carbon base.

Carbon can accept TONS of different combinations (the hussy) of single, double, or even a triple bond (or up to 4 different atoms), which means its SUPER versatile when it comes to doing different things. For instance in "pure" forms of carbon you can get structures that slough off of each other in sheets, which gives you the graphite in your pencil, or you can have a crystalline structure that's so extremely hard we use it to cut almost anything else (diamond).

Carbon is also the backbone for all the major compounds/molecules for life. It's in our DNA, it's in our protiens as well as carbohydrates and even our fats.

Silicon is the only thing that comes close to being able to create all those structures, but then it gets weird, because silicon is a semi-conductor and has different properties and forms than carbon. As far as I've read and heard life without carbon is pretty much impossible/very improbable.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Subnautica Forums. Where there's learning.
    That's pretty much what I said. Just used a lot fewer words.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    I'm SUPER fun at parties, especially when I explain how hangovers aren't just due to dehydration, but a chemical byproduct Acetaldehyde... *looks at everyone sleeping* See? They're so interested they have to take a nap to digest all the information!

i did not know that my good sir
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    Warning, you guys got me thinking about living things and biology again:

@Chris1217 is right. Any small thing could drastically change the way an organism would look. Gravity, Oxygen content in the air, Salinity of the ocean, % landmass and even how that mass is arranged (Big supercontinent? smaller continents spread out? Two islands?). If insects didn't exist our world would be in deep poop (literally. warning, link shows some poop). Insects are detritovores (eats "wastes"), pollinators, food for other animals, they keep forests healthy by creating a disturbance regime, they can vector diseases, parasitize each other or other animals, even change the entire ecosystem by their presence or absence. Fungi and plants are like this too, and even top teir predators have a great affect on what survives and can go on to breed and improve the survivability of prey species. Thought there is one thing that is universally reliable as far as living organisms are concerned, and that's a carbon base.

Agree but if insects does not exist other creaturs will do ther job (ex: bacteria, végétal and mushroms for poop and scavenging, and wind, bird's, but also carnivores and herbivores help to pollinate carrying pollen with ther coat) thats the way nature works the point is: our planet will be completly different.
    And remember "Life always find a way" ;)

edit: giant insects should by cool in subnautica
    yk0mygxo5btv.jpg
    l9fmu10va416.jpg
    u3fltxrxcs9h.jpg
    la4ys21fguvk.jpg
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Nice job, Naali. SCIENCE!

+1,000 XP. Congratulations! You've gone up a level.

I've always felt that there could be semi-reasonable explanations for the origins of life-forms in Subnautica.

Yes. Even the Crash. :) Half the fun is in working out how these critters might have evolved, if they actually existed.

The 'exploding' trick might be part of its reproductive cycle, or the 'rock' that launches this fish is actually the intelligent female component of a hermaphroditic binary life-form. There's equally strange stuff right here on Good Ol' Terra. Trust me on this.

The Crash itself might have a rudimentary form of intelligence, in the same way that 'smart' missiles are programmed to behave in a certain way (ECM avoidance, proximity detonation, predictive flight-paths, etc.) The Crash could well be just a semi-aware biological missile, and the sessile 'rock' component of the organism simply grows another Crash as required. Crash Powder (or whatever they are calling it this week ;) ) could be the roe (eggs) and the Crash 'fish' detonates to disperse its sperm more effectively among the scattered colonies. This behaviour would also serve to permanently eliminate any nearby predators.

As for The Survivor inadvertently getting caught up in this whole wacky Circle of Life thing... Tough break.

Large, Menacing Shape looming over egg-clutch = Immediate threat = Sexytime for Crash.
    What if the crash home is the lifeforms and the crash fish is just the defense mechanism?
    What if the crash home is the lifeforms and the crash fish is just the defense mechanism?

That's precisely what I've already said.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    Chris1217 wrote: »
    Agree but if insects does not exist other creaturs will do ther job (ex: bacteria, végétal and mushroms for poop and scavenging, and wind, bird's, but also carnivores and herbivores help to pollinate carrying pollen with ther coat) thats the way nature works the point is: our planet will be completly different.
    And remember "Life always find a way"

actually if you were to remove all insect of earth on after 2 years no life would be able to be substained above the water and probably almost no life in fresh water.

also @Bugzapper
    the crash is probably exactly what you say and would track "threats" with movement detection and probably something like the thing sharks use to feel the electric field generated by living animals.(ampulles of lorenzi I think but don't quote me on that and ignore the bad writing)

Use fewer words

No thanks.

How about 'read more words before commenting'?
    I was always taught the phrase "KISS".
    (Not saying the below against anyone here just saying it in general)
    "K"eep
    "I"t
    "S"imple
    "S"tupid

Quoted from what my grandparents always said everytime something went wrong.
  • mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
    I was always taught the phrase "KISS".
    (Not saying the below against anyone here just saying it in general)
    "K"eep
    "I"t
    "S"imple
    "S"tupid

Quoted from what my grandparents always said everytime something went wrong.

Somtimes you cant explain things *simple* beause people are just to stupid to understand.
    I have that issue at work daily.
    Science to the rescue!

There are suicidal animals that explode to defend the nest/others. In ants/termites it's called Autothysis, and it sends nasty chemicals toward predators.

There's also the Pea aphid which explodes in an attempt to kill of ladybird beetle predators, or at least deter them from the rest of the aphids.