Object Ideas

ProfessorChillProfessorChill Canada Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208553Members
I know mobs and enemies seem to be all that jazz right now however can we consider some structures for our base builders?

- Stairs
- Ladder Animations
- Larger rooms/areas
- Combine-able rooms
- Bio/Medical areas
- Scanning rooms [for future ailments that you cannot bring into rooms EG. no uranium in the examination area]
- Elevators [There are plenty areas I would use this]
- Trams [Trains, whatever you wish to call it]
- More damage model changes for the buildings, much like the Cyclops has them

I know this is all possible being as I have done a bit of these concept works in the UE4 so in Unity it should be similar [sort of anyway >_>]
I'd like to see more building added ^^ Right now it's boring to build, still crazy fun to play though :D

Comments

• paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I like the first 6. Elevators are not practical because if you get a leak at any level then the entire shaft fills up. Trams would have to be built inside of tubes or they couldn't hold air at the stations.
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    paradine wrote: »
    I like the first 6. Elevators are not practical because if you get a leak at any level then the entire shaft fills up. Trams would have to be built inside of tubes or they couldn't hold air at the stations.

Unless the shaft is protected by bulkheads at each floor with an exit....

What if the shaft is full of water all the time and the elevator room connects to an airlock built on the floor, then it purges the water in the airlock before opening to the floor...

It is entirely practical.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    If your going to have it full of water then you may as well skip the tube and just have a cable or rail type setup.
    For example you could build 4 vertical rails and have the passenger carriage placed inside of those in the same way an elevator uses rails to keep it from bouncing around in the shaft (they also double for use by the emergency brake system). Then once you get to your floor the door of the carriage will line up and lock onto the door leading into the base (airlock). Once it is locked on it purges the water and both doors open. By doing it this way you no longer have a tube that can fill with water and you keep every level separate from every other one. This would also allow for fewer graphics/animations that have to be made for this to work. The devs could even reuse some of the code from the cyclops from where they made the cockpit and the way it locks you in-place while piloting.

The only part that has to move is the pod your in and the doors of the pod and each connecting level when you lock onto it. To let you select the level it can work by you naming the connecting door after you build it just like you do for the beacons. Then you name the buttons in the carriage to match the connecting doors. When you click on the button it takes you to that door.
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    You could even have a glass version with that setup.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members

That's just risk/reward. Here on Earth we have reinforced industrial elevator shafts that bring welders and other workers far below sea level.
  • ProfessorChillProfessorChill Canada Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208553Members
    If your going to have it full of water then you may as well skip the tube and just have a cable or rail type setup.
    For example you could build 4 vertical rails and have the passenger carriage placed inside of those in the same way an elevator uses rails to keep it from bouncing around in the shaft (they also double for use by the emergency brake system). Then once you get to your floor the door of the carriage will line up and lock onto the door leading into the base (airlock). Once it is locked on it purges the water and both doors open. By doing it this way you no longer have a tube that can fill with water and you keep every level separate from every other one. This would also allow for fewer graphics/animations that have to be made for this to work. The devs could even reuse some of the code from the cyclops from where they made the cockpit and the way it locks you in-place while piloting.

The only part that has to move is the pod your in and the doors of the pod and each connecting level when you lock onto it. To let you select the level it can work by you naming the connecting door after you build it just like you do for the beacons. Then you name the buttons in the carriage to match the connecting doors. When you click on the button it takes you to that door.

TBH that's actually what I was going for, as well as a tube based system for inside the base for moving from floor to floor, it would simply be put in the center of the "rooms" to use.
    The structural cable/rail system would be for outside of the base.

I am very sorry for not clearing that up, while posting this I was fairly tired.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    the train sounds interesting. It would have to be fast and it would be a great way to get to other sea bases. It would be epic to have my own private railway network, going around the ocean.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    Why usin cable/rail? A simple capsule on a tube filled with water, you use balast for vertical movement and water pressure for horizontal. (or pressure for both)
    Edit: or the current generator.