oxygen tanks

mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
When you dive in reall life your oxygen tank wont last for 120 seconds, it last a lot longer. Pro divers can hold there breath underwater for a few minuts. Why not make it like this in Subanautica? And make the oxygen tank equippable so that we don't need to wast inventory space for it, and make it so we can only have 1 oxygen tank or maybe 2 with us.

Here is a link that explains how it works
http://www.sjue.com/blog/2011/01/how-long-can-a-scuba-diver-stay-underwater/

Ofcourse the tank should get emtpy after some time and then you will need to refill it. For exploration purpose you could get extra oxygen tanks with you in exchange for inventory space, and the tanks dont need to last for 1 reall hour 20minuts for a tank would be enough for me. The way the handle it now is ridiculous

Comments

• destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited October 2015
    The way it's handled now is no more and no less because the current implementation drives gameplay more than a realistic scuba tank would.

Do real life scuba tanks only last 30 seconds? Of course not. But having a scuba tank that gives enough air to stay underwater for real-time hours without worrying about it is boring from a design perspective.

The dev should want the player forced to make decisions, worry about pushing the O2 bar just that little bit too far. It's the same for the airtank taking up inventory space. You want more O2? Fine, but there's a tradeoff in how much you can carry.

At least in the early game. Could there be an item added later that inflates the O2 bar or makes it drain really slow, that takes some decent amount of resources to craft/research? Sure. That'd be cool.
  • mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
    ehm why would the want that? Its about exploration, and why would i craft an oxygen tank if it only last 30 seconds? The dont need to make it 1 hour, the should how ever increase the capacity a lot more and make it that you will need to refill them with oxygen to use them again
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    if you want to explore there is a "creative" mode in the expirmental brach which allows for free cost and no O² limits
  • mariotusekmariotusek rotterdam Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204939Members
    do you even scubadive ....
  • mustangpilot12mustangpilot12 United States Join Date: 2015-06-14 Member: 205492Members
    Right now the oxygen tanks in the game are perfect (my opinion). If they made it to where they were like real oxygen tanks you would need to make a machine to compress the air and fill the tanks and this would also change the game play a lot, since we wouldn't get self refilling tanks.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited October 2015
    mariotusek wrote: »
    do you even scubadive ....

Yep
    Right now the oxygen tanks in the game are perfect (my opinion). If they made it to where they were like real oxygen tanks you would need to make a machine to compress the air and fill the tanks and this would also change the game play a lot, since we wouldn't get self refilling tanks.

Honestly, that'd be the way to implement a higher capacity airtank. Have the normal tanks stay exactly as they are. But add in a new compression tank and air compressor machine and make them need materials from deeper biomes or research/fragments from those same deeper biomes.
  • Rodrigo_MartinezRodrigo_Martinez Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208202Members
    Maybe it's because of game time and game mechanics? The night doesn't last 8 real hours in the game.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    Maybe it's because of game time and game mechanics? The night doesn't last 8 real hours in the game.

^^ This.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    edited October 2015
    Also, scuba tanks (as far as I'm aware) don't automatically refill when in the presence of an atmosphere, so maybe a bunch of the tanks "volume" (read: why its so big) is actually used up because of the tanks ability to refill itself (which if I'm not mistaken scuba tanks require helium and nitrogen and oxygen in different quantities from normal atmosphere to keep you from getting nitrogen sickness or gaseous oxygen in your blood)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I agree with mariotusek on the comment about having one tank that lasts a decent amount of time on my back rather than having my inventory crammed with oxygen tanks just to be able to spend more than a few minutes under water. So far the most I have managed to get is ten minutes oxygen time by cramming my inventory full of extended life tanks. Especially with some of the depths we hope to be able to go down to as the game develops. Yes we could simply take our Cyclops down to 1000m and swim out from there, but sometimes that's just not practical.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    Naali wrote: »
    Also, scuba tanks (as far as I'm aware) don't automatically refill when in the presence of an atmosphere, so maybe a bunch of the tanks "volume" (read: why its so big) is actually used up because of the tanks ability to refill itself (which if I'm not mistaken scuba tanks require helium and nitrogen and oxygen in different quantities from normal atmosphere to keep you from getting nitrogen sickness or gaseous oxygen in your blood)

correct. it's not just pure o2

pure o2 would get you super stoned. until it killed you....
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    edited October 2015

Theres always someone who says that^^

Length of the day is determined by the distance of the planet to a sun and speed of the rotation around its own axis (depending which type of day your talking about, solar day or whatnot). So on an alien planet theres no problem for a day being not ~24h
    (for example the other planets in our solar system)

Another indicator that the time is not fast-forwarded is the player itself. It it would be, we could swim really fast too, right?
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    Naali wrote: »

correct. it's not just pure o2

pure o2 would get you super stoned. until it killed you....

+ you need a air compressor
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I like the system of tanks as it is. True, I would prefer one tank in separate slot. What about taking care of your equipped tank as a very important unit? Upgrading it in a similar fashion as Seamoth (I am not saying the same way)

But the time it lasts should stay around the same as it is IMO. It limits us in a good way and you won't dive for hours in single dive anyway, right? :hushed:
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    Some of you are forgetting this game takes place in the distant future. Anything is possible, really.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    Granted I think there should be at least one slot on the paper doll, so you get a "free tank" even if it isn't one of the huge capacity ones, a single "normal" tank is 99% of the time effective for what I need (I almost always have my seamoth or cyclops with me)