Steam Controllers

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
Anyone else get a steam controller and want to try to win a round of ns later?

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I didn't think they came out yet. I was curious about them, but I think the required accuracy would be too demanding for the controller to work. Or your thumb would break off.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I pre-ordered and it's waiting at my doorstep. I'm not going to be good at ns with it, but I'm 100% trying
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe it will nerf you to the level of the rest of noobs.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    Nordic wrote: »

AHA! I see the conspiracy here :D

[your Hive skill level is above the allowed amount of points to play with Keyboard and Mouse]
    [Please connect your gamepad to continue...]

Sidenote...

Joy2Key could potentially fix possible input issues
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Maybe this is how I start commanding
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »

AHA! I see the conspiracy here :D

[your Hive skill level is above the allowed amount of points to play with Keyboard and Mouse]
    [Please connect your gamepad to continue...]
    This is how we will fix the skill gap in ns2. You are a genius kouji!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I got mine today, going to try it out.

Already tried on border lands 2 and I had to jack the sensitivity up.. Not totally impressed by the fact that it's essentially a flat track ball for your thumb.. So twitch shots may be off the table.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    They have a name for that @IronHorse :tongue: Touchpads, doesn't help they totally look like that either. But hey, I'm all for trying to innovate.

It's just too awesome M&K master race is still king for FPS
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Touchpads just arent accurate enough for an FPS like ns2.
    Plus I've heard people get nasty thumb ache from pressing on that flat, hard surface too much.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I got mine today, going to try it out.

Already tried on border lands 2 and I had to jack the sensitivity up.. Not totally impressed by the fact that it's essentially a flat track ball for your thumb.. So twitch shots may be off the table.

Good. You need the nerf also.
    My thumbs get sore from using my Xbox One controller too, so I'm not expecting the Steam Controller to be different. I am expecting it to be worse.

I only tried in NS2 so far, but I feel that for what it does, with all the customization, it works really, really well.

There'll be a game I want to pick up one day that this is perfect for. Thinking when I get to play Transistor maybe, who knows.

At the very least its fun to try, and I'll have fun watching people try it. It'll get a whole lot better when the full release is out and there's custom profiles to steal from people!

Paddles on a controller is fantastic, fwyi
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea I am thinking I might attempt to play with some acceleration (shudders) settings as that may alleviate the thumb lifting off the pad frequency.

It works well otherwise.. without having tested NS2 specifically
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2015
    What is the benefit of a controller? The only thing I ever came across that was insanely difficult with a keyboard was flying aircrafts in grand theft auto 5 ;P Still completed that damn pilot school online with my keyboard.

I guess if I had a huge monitor and a couch I could see it being cool for some games.. but I have neither besides my tears.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    M&k too intuitive. I think you'll be meat at that point
    edited October 2015
    Ok so after discovering the amazing and extensive configuration settings, I am finally enjoying playing some FPS games with 1:1 movement (no trackball) for accurate aiming at typical speeds, and then acceleration for when you need to twitch shoot.

I based my settings off of Borderlands 2 at 25 in game mouse sensitivity, (Which may be too much for some) and it's starting to become second nature now after I turned off auto assist - which should say "auto miss" or "auto unable to track a target" instead.
    I have yet to be bold enough to try this is NS2.. I have serious doubts obviously, but I never did buy this thing to play competitive FPS games... just everything else.

Other than wrangling with the controls I love everything else about this thing. It even has a motion controller that you can use to aim with!
    I just can't seem to get used to the placement of the actual XABY buttons, I am always missing them or expecting them to be where they typically are on every other controller.
    Other that than it's been far more enjoyable than a 360 pad, where I feel my input is much more reflective of my intentions instead of the slow, underwater boat steering that I am used to.

I have no idea how to share my controller profile that I saved though, even if it is public..
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You should video you playing NS2 with the controller, I would be interested in watching that.
    @MuckyMcFly

Well here's a video of me just practicing / fine tuning with my first controller configuration against bots.

After watching it, I think I need to lower the acceleration and decrease the friction, I seem to be having trouble with fine tracking but not snapping to target areas.
    It's "okay" for some basic tracking and great for general movement, but evasive movement its pretty hard to respond to still.
    I'll be fine tuning so more and eventually try multiplayer
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2015
    ezekel wrote: »
    What is the benefit of a controller? The only thing I ever came across that was insanely difficult with a keyboard was flying aircrafts in grand theft auto 5 ;P Still completed that damn pilot school online with my keyboard.

I guess if I had a huge monitor and a couch I could see it being cool for some games.. but I have neither besides my tears.

You only have 1 mouse while you have 2 trackpads/analog-sticks (yes this limitation has caused a few problems for me before, because analog sticks are still more accurate than WASD). Also more portable.
    edited October 2015
    @MuckyMcFly

Well here's a video of me just practicing / fine tuning with my first controller configuration against bots.

After watching it, I think I need to lower the acceleration and decrease the friction, I seem to be having trouble with fine tracking but not snapping to target areas.
    It's "okay" for some basic tracking and great for general movement, but evasive movement its pretty hard to respond to still.

@kouji_san, look above. The controller nerf is not working well enough!

Really though @ironhorse, give it another week or two and I want to see the ns2+ reported accuracy between your normal play and controller play.
    @MuckyMcFly

@kouji_san, look above. The controller nerf is not working well enough!

Really though @ironhorse, give it another week or two and I want to see the ns2+ reported accuracy between your normal play and controller play.

Hehe omg ban IH for inappropriate shooting :tongue:

Also, one thing though... It does not look like gamepad tracking, you know the slow/predictable/same speed movement. Interesting...
    I'm curious to download the acceleration part of the profile, I also can't fire with right trigger at all while aiming with my thumb like this
    edited October 2015
    Yea I got much better results with fine tracking by increasing smoothing, decreasing accel to medium and decreasing friction to medium.
    (Note: you HAVE to turn off raw input / enable accel in the game options for this to work!)

I played some mutliplayer rounds.. and while some lives I was getting 20% accuracy, my overall accuracy was typically crap, around 12% at end game.
    Mostly because I absolutely choke against evasive movement at melee range, even flicking my thumb just can't match the timing needed.
    I never had any expectations of steam controllers working well enough with Ns2 to play, but it did surprisingly well for a controller - basically matching a rookie's accuracy.

I learned a lot adjusting the configuration during all this, so that will pay off for playing other single player games at least.
    - basically matching a rookie's accuracy.
    I learned a lot adjusting the configuration during all this, so that will pay off for playing other single player games at least.

Besting a rookies accuracy I think.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Games like Halo and CoD both have controller help built in, if your cross-hair is over an enemy the movement slows down, when not on an enemy the it moves more quickly (aim assist)

For NS2 to work I guess you would have to code this behavior in.

I am interested in watching someones hands as they play, get that camera out @IronHorse ;)
    @MuckyMcFly

Sure, I'll see if I can capture my hands at the same time with a webcam or something. Never done that before as I've just been using shadowplay.

Aim assist in Borderlands 2 is utter crap.. because it seemingly trails behind a moving target by a large degree, so it appears to only be useful in static situations?
    Even attempting to adjust my aim during aim assist didn't seem to help.. it was like i was fighting against the aim assist.
    So if it were ever made for NS2 it'd have to be a whole let better ;) (and separated from PC players!)
    - basically matching a rookie's accuracy.

Besting a rookies accuracy I think.

i don't know, 12 is pretty damn low at that rate you'd probably need 2 full clips to kill a skulk.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    amoral wrote: »
    i don't know, 12 is pretty damn low at that rate you'd probably need 2 full clips to kill a skulk.

The average on pubs is around 12%, not counting rookies.

Zavaro wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

The average on pubs is around 12%, not counting rookies.

... withdrawn then i guess...

that's a very low accuracy... and i don't know what to say.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm actually really surprised how well the controller did in that video, great work as always @IronHorse !
    Having played against him for a little bit, he seemed to aim fairly well at range. He could do quite a bit of damage to me say across landing pad. The moment I got in close though he seemed slower than he normally did, as if slower reaction time coupled with worse aim.