"Let's Science The S*** Outta This!"

BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
Research in Subnautica has been a fairly lukewarm discussion topic so far.

I realize that it does take considerable effort to properly implement (and integrate) any new game mechanism, although there is a definite need to inject some over-arching sense of purpose into what goal(s) The Survivor is supposed to be working towards. Yes, I know it's more of a 'close-to-release, absolutely final version' thing, but it will probably need to be addressed in slightly more depth sometime fairly soon.

At the moment, all we have in the way of Research is the Fragment Analyser and the fact that the Fabricator pipes up with "new species discovered", every time you bring a new fish near it.

As our first tentative steps towards doing Big Science in Subnautica, I'd like to see the Base A.I requesting additional fish samples, flora specimens, chemical elements and acoustic profiles of sea life. These items could be placed or uploaded into a Science Station analysis module. Let the A.I mull over the results for a while, then upload the collected data to your PDA. This way, not only would it populate the PDA with heaps of background reference information, but it would also provide a firm basis for the development of a slowly emerging central storyline. Again, this aspect of the game depends entirely on what The Devs already have in the pipeline, or at least have plans to implement at some stage.

Benefits: Access to tasty new hardware, reliable food sources, equipment/structural upgrades and nefarious dabblings with alien biology.

It's pretty safe to say that we have gone well past the stage where every day is an endless scrabble for survival. Let's roll up our wetsuit sleeves and get our Science on!

What meaningful form(s) of Research can we actually do? How would an 'ideal' research game mechanic be designed to fit in with the main storyline?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Comments

• TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    That would be a nice system and it would fit perfectly into the story. The Aurora was a terraforming vessel. But if the previous expedition just confirmed that the planet was habitable, it would be the task of our expedition to science the s*** out of everything.
    Meaning that before you go around and terraform the landscape the corporation might want to know which actions would impact how onto the flora and fauna. This would explain a computer or AI who has a full catalogue of tasks for scientists.
    In a longshot the non-lethal approach would be explained because the scientist doesn't want to "taint" the data.
  • UnatanUnatan California Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 208002Members
    There is also the Specimen Analyzer (currently not active) but in experimental you can place it, that should give the survivor lots to find and Science the 'S*** outa this' all he wants :)
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Looking at this game from the perspective of a human explorer crash landed in space, the first thing that comes to mind is that we have found an inhabitable planet. This is a big deal. Water planet or not, it could support human life. Of course we would want to discover and catalog everything about it, recover tech from the Aurora that would aid in this, and more importantly, attempt to make contact with mankind with the info.

Threads of what @Bugzapper is suggesting have been touched on in other topics, which means there are others interested in similar ideas (and the story direction the game may eventually take). The idea for an AI tied to a Lab (and other modules) could serve a lot of purposes and seems to be a frequent request. I know I'd like to see it, albeit for slightly different reasons.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I like the idea of the AI requesting certain tasks of you. It gives the player some guidance and an agenda, but doesn't force them to do anything or limit what they can do.
  • UnatanUnatan California Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 208002Members
    Mr357 wrote: »
    I like the idea of the AI requesting certain tasks of you. It gives the player some guidance and an agenda, but doesn't force them to do anything or limit what they can do.

Unless the computer's name is Hal..
  • VariellaVariella California Join Date: 2015-09-29 Member: 208219Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Research in Subnautica has been a fairly lukewarm discussion topic so far.

You certainly heated up the topic!

Now I'm imagining the player character putting sciencey sunglasses on whilst wielding a swiss army knife of discovery, on the verge of embarking on some epic journey of research. Someone needs to draw this in the style of a propaganda poster with the words "LET'S SCIENCE THE S*** OUTTA THIS!" across the top. It would be glorious.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    White lab coat... Check!

Cool full-face safety visor... Check!

Digital clipboard/PDA... Check!

Squeaky red rubber gauntlets... Check!

Shiny. Let's be Science Guys.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-713658

Science.

It's all about Lab Coats, cool goggles and shiny gadgets.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Paint the Warper white and he's already got his lab coat on
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    I'd like to see the Base A.I requesting additional fish samples, flora specimens, chemical elements and acoustic profiles of sea life. Yeah I'd like to see JUNO do that Bugzapper (that would be epic if the devs started calling her JUNO ) and I call her JUNO now though sometimes I wanna find her
    personality matrix and beat it in with a sledgehammer the size of phobos cuz she gets annoying I don't know how Selkirk puts up with her sometimes
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Does JUNO have an accent? If so what is the accent or does she sound like the computer voice in game ?
  • ZionExpressZionExpress Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150154Members
    This is a very solid idea and should integrate nicely with the current feel the of the game. I especially liked the idea about collecting acoustic profiles of each creature you encounter. The devs certainly put effort into making each creature appear, act, and sound different, makes sense to document all the things! Furthermore, simply scanning a creature or plant shouldn't be enough to "harvest" all the pertinent data, we should have to capture and study these specimens in our sea base before understanding and unlocking their true potential (a la specimen tank or some other buildable device). Studying a species in such a way could unlock advanced schematics or resources in addition to adding even more detail to our PDA about said species.