What a lot of people are forgetting...

DrewsomeDrewsome USA Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208092Members
I have loved subnautica since it first came out and have enjoyed playing ever since I bought it. The games take on scientific survival is absolutely amazing, and I think that this is what the community is largely forgetting...you are a scientist. Your job is to coexist with the environment, not to destroy every living thing that looks like it could devour you. All of the people asking for combat ships and torpedoes that explode, obliterating reapers, I feel as if you don't understand what exactly the point of this game is. Yes, it is in its early stages but the idea is to grow to live with the creatures not without them. You should always have the fear that something is going to eat you in the back of your mind because that's how nature works. To coin a phrase "there's always a bigger fish" and in this game you are not that bigger fish. So think about what this game truly is and think about how to avoid/out-smart the big creatures. Not destroy them.

Tl;Dr : This is a scientific survival game, NOT a under the sea shooting gallery.

Comments

• ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    Drewsome wrote: »
    The_Shark wrote: »
    *sigh*
    If nobody else is going to say this, I will.

Are you saying that because guns are a thing in real life, that everybody is going around killing each other? That Minecraft is a 100% combat game, because they decided to add a bow, swords, and damaging potions? That any game that happens to have ANY way to defend yourself is automatically a shooter?

Because that just makes o sense to me.

I could understand if people were suggesting nuclear bombs and things like that, but a few weak torpedoes, a spear gun, and a few other things? What I'm getting from your argument is, next time someone in real life is attacked by a bear, they should allow themselves to be mauled to death instead of stabbing it to make it go away. You're not suggesting here that we don't destroy everything. Everybody here agrees with that idea. What you're saying is that we should have no weapons at all. And in a place as dangerous as Subnautica is, you need something to make sure you don't end up in pieces.

Rant over.

I feel as if this game needs little to no weapons. Only devices to temporary disable enemies, allowing you to escape. You also don't understand my argument at all. You aren't some random person in the wilderness, you are prepared scientist with the knowledge to create technology to keep yourself safe. Ex: Stasis rifle/vortex torpedoes. Keep you perfectly safe.

Where does it say you're a scientist? I see people say this a lot in the forums but I haven't seen anything official to suggest this, not withstanding that scientists still use weapons to defend themselves.
  • DrewsomeDrewsome USA Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208092Members
    I'd assume based on the fact that you are on a terraforming mission to an alien planet, coupled with the characters previous knowledge (PDA,known blueprints,etc.) And besides you are there to study the planets life(when you get a new fish it says it identifies something new,DNA splicer thats to be added). So I can see an argument for maybe some small upgrade of a weapon as a last defense but I feel as if that is what the DNA splicing will be for.
  • Kevin035Kevin035 Soesterberg Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208088Members
    Weapons would make it easier to kill opposition in stead of trying to outsmart them.
    Why wouldn't you kill al predators if you could? nothing would stop you except your ammunition
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    edited September 2015
    Drewsome wrote: »
    I'd assume based on the fact that you are on a terraforming mission to an alien planet, coupled with the characters previous knowledge (PDA,known blueprints,etc.) And besides you are there to study the planets life(when you get a new fish it says it identifies something new,DNA splicer thats to be added). So I can see an argument for maybe some small upgrade of a weapon as a last defense but I feel as if that is what the DNA splicing will be for.

So the player character could be the janitor for all we know, with access to advanced tech. Hell he could even be a colonial space marine. I have apps on my phone for translation but I'm not a translator or a linguist. I've got mapping software but I'm not a cartographer.

He's got more access to building tech then anything, maybe he's a construction worker?
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I agree with you Drewsome about what the game should be like, but I'm afraid on the Trello boards, I think it was Hugh himself who describes the player character as a maintenance engineer, not a scientist, though that may not be set in stone. This would explain how he has such an awesome PDA filled with high tech blueprints and knows how to use a Builder (assuming it isn't just point and click in universe, as it is for us).

As for the whole argument about lethal weapons, I would say with how overpowered the Stasis Gun (and knife for that matter) currently is, we already have too lethal a weapon, but I've posted about that and how to fix it already. Remember that the map is relatively small; currently doesn't have many animals in it; and those animals don't seem to ever respawn yet. Once these elements are implemented a great many things will change how the game feels and the need of potential weapons, but right now all we need is a stasis gun, knife, and for the reapers, a cyclops, all of which together have left he game too easy, and remove the wonderful apprehension about what is in the water (which I very much want back).

Said that, I would love some sort of stealth ability; it would fit in very well I think. Maybe even a cloak for the Sea Moth.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    Yes, you're right. So far, all of the current weapons in the game are harmless, the Stasis Rifle, Propulsion/Repulsion Cannon, and the defenses from the Cyclops. The game developers are purposely adding non-lethal ways to protect yourself, because that's what this game is about. It's about exploring the wildlife on the alien planet, while at the same time surviving and keeping yourself away from the predatory creatures. I assume that the Human technology advancement in this game is so advanced, that Humans have learned to protect themselves without killing or harm.
    Yeah, I think maybe one or two lethal weapons would be fine, but most of them are supposed to be keeping you safe without hurting the creatures. After all, you are on a terraforming mission to study them, not killing them.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    UWE has a track record of being very intentional with what they put into their games. All of this huss and fuss anyways from a game that's so far from being done. Just gotta trust that they know where they're going with their ship!

As an example... in ns2, tsf marines have access to jetpacks, nano-shields, and all kinds of "advanced technology," yet they're still limited to boring old flashlights to see in dark areas.
    Certainly it's not because of a lacking of technology (infared goggles being an easy one), but because UWE knows what will and wont break the balance or immersion of what they're goin for. So again, just gotta trust that all the pieces will come together when they need to.

Game's not even in beta. I think that's what people are really forgetting.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Sigh........

Not more of this. How is it reasonable that almost every single thing on this planet will attack on sight, but you are expected to be peaceful? Any reasonable human being in this situation would do what they had to do to survive. If that means killing a few fish, then so be it. Scientists have a basic survival instinct as well.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    >Scientists don't use guns or ever defend themselves!
    >A terraforming operation would never have guns or any means to defend itself!

I literally lose braincells when I see these stupid arguments.
    Kevin035 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you kill al predators if you could? nothing would stop you except your ammunition

And then I get worried when I see completely psychopathic arguments like this.

Get back to me when the ocean isn't infested with hostile creatures and you have an actual argument that isn't insane.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Zundy wrote: »

Where does it say you're a scientist? I see people say this a lot in the forums but I haven't seen anything official to suggest this, not withstanding that scientists still use weapons to defend themselves.

This. For all we know, you could have been a guard on board the ship, with the role of protecting the scientists on board against exactly the things threatening you now.
    >Scientists don't use guns or ever defend themselves!
    >A terraforming operation would never have guns or any means to defend itself!

I literally lose braincells when I see these stupid arguments.
    Kevin035 wrote: »

And then I get worried when I see completely psychopathic arguments like this.

Get back to me when the ocean isn't infested with hostile creatures and you have an actual argument that isn't insane.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you, @04Leonhardt.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    2cough wrote: »
    Game's not even in beta. I think that's what people are really forgetting.

Precisely.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Sigh........

Not more of this. How is it reasonable that almost every single thing on this planet will attack on sight, but you are expected to be peaceful? Any reasonable human being in this situation would do what they had to do to survive. If that means killing a few fish, then so be it. Scientists have a basic survival instinct as well.

The fact of the matter is, the whole purpose of the visit of this planet in the first place was a terraforming mission; so why would they bring weapons? We already have a knife, which is perfect for killing the small fish for food-- no need for rocket launchers or explosives. So even if the scientist (whom you are playing as) wanted to make such weapons of destruction, they wouldn't be able to anyway. The Aurora contained only items necessary for a peaceful mission. In fact, the intro upon starting a new game even says it.
    It's like trying to create a cellphone when you don't have the blueprints to make one. It's near impossible. Everything else the main character is able to make is from the blueprints he is able to find, which I may add exploded directly out of the ship.
    Sigh........

The fact of the matter is, the whole purpose of the visit of this planet in the first place was a terraforming mission; so why would they bring weapons? We already have a knife, which is perfect for killing the small fish for food-- no need for rocket launchers or explosives. So even if the scientist (whom you are playing as) wanted to make such weapons of destruction, they wouldn't be able to anyway. The Aurora contained only items necessary for a peaceful mission. In fact, the intro upon starting a new game even says it.
    It's like trying to create a cellphone when you don't have the blueprints to make one. It's near impossible. Everything else the main character is able to make is from the blueprints he is able to find, which I may add exploded directly out of the ship.

I know how to make a number of weapons. A spear is extremely easy, just take a metal bar from the Aurora wreckage and sharpen it. An idiot could do that. For someone more clever, we have explosive on hand that one could make bombs with. You could strip out the vortex mechanism (however that works) from a vortex torpedo and put in crash powder. And the reason that a terraforming mission would have weapons is becuase, if they were at all sensible, they would have sent a scout ship ahead, which would have noticed that most of the life on this planet is extremely murderous.
    Sigh........

I know how to make a number of weapons. A spear is extremely easy, just take a metal bar from the Aurora wreckage and sharpen it. An idiot could do that. For someone more clever, we have explosive on hand that one could make bombs with. You could strip out the vortex mechanism (however that works) from a vortex torpedo and put in crash powder. And the reason that a terraforming mission would have weapons is becuase, if they were at all sensible, they would have sent a scout ship ahead, which would have noticed that most of the life on this planet is extremely murderous.

I most definitely see where you're coming from... Yes, it's extremely easy to learn how to make basic weapons. I actually will agree with the player being able to make spears, and I'm sure the Humans in the future this far would be able to make a bomb as well. I just think that Humans in this time are advanced enough and matured enough to not need to use harmful weapons towards the wildlife. If you've got stasis rifles, propulsion/repulsion cannons, and the Seamoth defenses why would you even need to make anything harmful? I'm sure that they did scout the planet and realize it was full of such danger, which is why they made such defenses already.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The fact of the matter is, the whole purpose of the visit of this planet in the first place was a terraforming mission; so why would they bring weapons?

Gonna put this in bold so maybe you people will get it this time.

SO WE CAN DEFEND OURSELVES AND OUR IMPORTANT MISSION FROM HOSTILE MONSTERS THAT WOULD SEEK TO DESTROY US. ALTERRA TECH SPENT A METRIC ASSLOAD OF MONEY ON THIS OPERATION AND IT WOULD BE ABSURDLY STUPID OF THEM TO SEND US OFF TO AN ALIEN WORLD WITHOUT ANY WAY TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND THEIR INVESTMENT FROM SPACE MONSTERS, SPACE PIRATES, SPACE MUTINY, ETC. OUR MISSION IS FOR THE FUTURE OF MANKIND, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO AT LEAST HALF-ASSEDLY DEFEND THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY.

The fact of the matter is, the whole purpose of the visit of this planet in the first place was a terraforming mission; so why would they bring weapons?

SO WE CAN DEFEND OURSELVES AND OUR IMPORTANT MISSION FROM HOSTILE MONSTERS THAT WOULD SEEK TO DESTROY US. ALTERRA TECH SPENT A METRIC ASSLOAD OF MONEY ON THIS OPERATION AND IT WOULD BE ABSURDLY STUPID OF THEM TO SEND US OFF TO AN ALIEN WORLD WITHOUT ANY WAY TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND THEIR INVESTMENT FROM SPACE MONSTERS, SPACE PIRATES, SPACE MUTINY, ETC. OUR MISSION IS FOR THE FUTURE OF MANKIND, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO AT LEAST HALF-ASSEDLY DEFEND THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY.

OKAY OKAY
    I actually find it quite funny that alterra is apparently heading a super-pacifist mission, considering they are an arms manufacturer.......
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Maybe there'll be an arms locker in the Aurora that will have guns, bombs, etc. However, since the Aurora was on a terraforming mission, most of the weapons (if not all) would be designed for use in an air environment. So, you could stand on an island and unload tons of ordnance at the skyrays and cave crawlers to your heart's content, but the guns would be useless under the water where you really need them.

Adding the slew of weapons asked for in the forums will change the nature of Subnautica from peaceful (somewhat) exploration to blowing up everything that moves into paste. Do people play GTA V to drive carefully and obey the law? No, they drive like they're on fire (sometimes they are), shoot everything they can, and run from cops, because that's what appeals to the players and what the game is designed for. Look at GTA V's multiplayer and the new Free Roam addition to see how players react to access to guns and other players (targets) online.

Subnautica doesn't need underwater assault rifles, missile launchers and atomic torpedoes. Yes, some better means of defending ourselves in the open water or protecting our bases, but nothing too extreme. When (and if) multiplayer comes available, the addition of massive amounts of firepower will result in most people swimming around the killing each other and blowing up bases. Hardly the 'otherworldly exploration' game that seems to be the mission statement.

So, if the reaper is giving you fits, or you want to violently shoot something, there are other games for this outlet available. Turning Subnautica into a giant shooting gallery would be a real waste.
    Maybe there'll be an arms locker in the Aurora that will have guns, bombs, etc. However, since the Aurora was on a terraforming mission, most of the weapons (if not all) would be designed for use in an air environment.

>On a terraforming mission
    >To an ocean planet
    >"All the weapons would be designed for use in air!"
    >Because all the hostile creatures are flying around and not in the water

Just... I have no words for this.

And don't get me started on the "OMG WE DON'T NEED ASSAULT RIFLES AND NUKES" straw man again.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    Not that i dont like destruction but i dont think giving ppl weapons will be any good for the planet, i dont mind having a few more defensive weapons/gadgets but lets not give the noobs nuclear weapons to destroy the planet....remember we dont have a spaceship anymore to go find another one...XP
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    edited September 2015

Maybe there'll be an arms locker in the Aurora that will have guns, bombs, etc. However, since the Aurora was on a terraforming mission, most of the weapons (if not all) would be designed for use in an air environment.

>On a terraforming mission
    >To an ocean planet
    >"All the weapons would be designed for use in air!"
    >Because all the hostile creatures are flying around and not in the water

Just... I have no words for this.

And don't get me started on the "OMG WE DON'T NEED ASSAULT RIFLES AND NUKES" straw man again.

TERRAFORMING. One might assume with with the Terraformer tool, which can make islands and other landmasses, that when the planet is terraformed for colonists, there will be continents for people to live upon. They won't be living under the sea unless you think that gills will be a standard feature for humans. Assuming that the Aurora wasn't supposed to crash, it probably had large-scale terraformers that could make giant landmasses from orbit, limiting the need for underwater operations.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2015

A few reminders:

Flayra wrote: »
    The CUTEST. Makes me so glad we decided to make a non-violent game.

Thank you so much for posting.

All I'm saying here is you really shouldnt be surprised if no lethal weapons are adding. I would guess that this may be part of the fundamental design of the game. "Non-violent creature interactions." This would also lead me to think that part of the challenge of the game will be how you circum-navigate different kinds of threats in non-violent ways.

Again, who knows. Game's in alpha. Maybe some basic stuff would be added? Just dont really think you need be talking down to everybody like we're idiots, @04Leonhardt.
    You're free to express your opinion, sure, but remember that your's isnt the only one.

I dont believe that UWE is interested in doing things in ways that have already been done in games ad nauseum.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    Well, talking about weapons, we have already one : a freaking powerful propulsion cannon which can blow up almost everything with the strengh of a giant. I never saw again a fish or a shark i blew up with this thing. That's why i don't really understand why you are making such a fuss about weapons. If it was ineffective, i could understand but it's not the case.

You could sweep away all of the bonesharks from a biome and make them live in Safe Shallows if you want it. Making Crash explode in their nest when they are sleeping. Throwing peeper with such strengh they can break stalker's tooth.

And you dare speak of harpoon ? spears ? guns ? underwater bombs ?

Thx but i will keep my " i will never see your face again dumb fish " rifle.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    People, people, people...

You are all forgetting that the Transfuser tool has not yet been fully implemented. It will allow players to modify the behavior of fauna. You won't need to kill something if you can make it not attack you in the first place.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I get the realistic argument for making a weapon to defend yourself in a survival situation..

But I don't get those who refuse to accept the design decision to utilize other means instead. It's a lot more challenging, interactive, and is a fresh approach.
    For example, the worst part of the last Bioshock game was the shooting / FPS portions.. it felt like a left over from the infancy days of video games, with so much content and story and interaction that was better designed and interesting that I simultaneously loathed and yawned every time I was forced to enter into "combat".

Some newer games have begun to recognize this and are designing around it, like with Alien Isolation.
    Gaming is ready for new and more creative methods of interaction than just pew pew, imo. (I say this as a diehard competitive arena shooter)
    edited September 2015
    TERRAFORMING. One might assume with with the Terraformer tool, which can make islands and other landmasses, that when the planet is terraformed for colonists, there will be continents for people to live upon. They won't be living under the sea unless you think that gills will be a standard feature for humans. Assuming that the Aurora wasn't supposed to crash, it probably had large-scale terraformers that could make giant landmasses from orbit, limiting the need for underwater operations.

So they go to an ocean planet, with absolutely 0 intent to actually go underwater.
    These mental gymnastics you're doing are getting ridiculous.

2cough wrote: »

I always lol when people bring up what Charlie said about the game being "non-violent" several months ago.

Then I just remind them of the COMPLETELY INSANE amount of hostile creatures EVERYWHERE outside the Safe Shallows, and the dev's plans to add EVEN MORE.

So yeah, I don't think Charlie is exactly in control of development, and his opinion isn't exactly the end all be all of discussion, considering that the game's development has taken a sharp turn from his "Peaceful underwater adventure" idea.

And I should remind everyone, that none of us are going to stop playing the game because they don't add a harpoon. We're simply discussing why literally everything we're presented with in the game implies that we SHOULD have some form of weapon, despite the game's "Peaceful" "Non-violent" gimmick.

People need to stop pretending that making a game "non-violent" is some revolutionary amazing progressive enlightened thing.

• DrewsomeDrewsome USA Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208092Members
    See Leon, you are assuming that because there are enemies there should be ways to kill them. You DON'T need to kill them, the whole point is to stop them from doing so with stasis rifle,propulsion cannon,transfuser, etc. If you can' survive in a game without a weapon to kill everything, sorry, but subautica isn't for you.

And really? "Peaceful" "Non-violent" gimmick. Please get your ignorance out of here. This Non-Violent gimmick is one of the most appealing apsects of this game to a lot of people. That's the game dude, deal with it.
    edited September 2015
    Lmfao I'm not assuming that because there are enemies that I need to kill them.
    And again with the "OMG U WANT A WEAPON SO U CAN KILL EVERYTHING!!!!!" strawman.
    Can we just not, for once, resort to this stupidity?

I'm "assuming" that a game quoted as being "Peaceful" and "Non-violent" should have far, FAR less violent creatures. The current state of the game is the direct opposite of the touted "Peaceful good! Violence bad!" gimmick they're going with.

And do you even know the definition of "gimmick"?
    gim·mick
    ˈɡimik/
    noun
    noun: gimmick; plural noun: gimmicks

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

That's the actual definition. Exactly what the choice to make the game "non violent" is.