BloodKelp Biome: Well Done

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
This is my favorite biome thus far, even in its newly minted state. It's very far away from the aurora and is extremely interesting as it actually starts at around 350m and goes all the way down to 600m (though maybe even deeper)

I can't wait to see what kind of terrifying creatures will be down here, as the only light is from the actual kelp itself.

Edit, use "biome bloodkelp" to reach the bkb easily

Comments

• EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    Pictures?
    I can't seem to find it.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Pictures?
    I can't seem to find it.

It should be between the Sparse Reef and the Dunes
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Sweet. Looking forward to finding and seeing it in game.
  • Gregorus_PrimeGregorus_Prime USA Join Date: 2015-07-14 Member: 206151Members
    As far as I can tell the sparse reef borders the dunes. I've been wandering back and forth between them for like ten minutes and I can't find any blood kelp.
    edited September 2015
    As far as I can tell the sparse reef borders the dunes. I've been wandering back and forth between them for like ten minutes and I can't find any blood kelp.

Hmm, maybe it's somewhere else.

Would be great if people actually told us where it was instead of just saying "Wow it's cool!"

EDIT: Found it
    It's currently west of the Sparse Reef, between the Reef, The Dunes, and the Red Plains.
    latest?cb=20150731224526
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    If you didn't start a new game after the update that added it, it likely won't show up since the textures don't load like that. I plan to start a new game myself tonight just to see the new assets
  • Gregorus_PrimeGregorus_Prime USA Join Date: 2015-07-14 Member: 206151Members
    Starting a new game did the trick... sort of. Lots of terrain glitches but at least I'm seeing blood kelp now. That's experimental for you.
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    It does look good.
    Will definitely be exploring this section more...
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    This place is creepy as hell. Pitch black, no sense of direction, these things.lza3jcocccc5.jpg
    s60lactuz1xu.jpg
    This place would be perfect for some demonic beast to be spawned. Plus, what are those?!?!okgt4hjppupq.jpg
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I bet this is where we'll see the Crab Squid once it's added. According to Trello they recently finished its animations.
    Things on the wall just look like dim lights

Or maybe they're a Deep variant of the Crash that explode when you get too close
  • VerwaltungVerwaltung USA Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207704Members
    man a fucking creepy biome I already wet my pants I need some new ones this biome won't help either. God this game can be so scary sometimes but its so damn fun.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I wasn't expecting this much enthusiasm for the new biome so soon, so thanks for that!

I have a question for those of you have been exploring it: are you finding it too difficult to orient yourselves and explore or is it ok? I think some disorientation adds too the creepiness and opens up gameplay options with things like the new Seamoth upgrade, but I want it to be fun rather than frustrating. There's definitely an issue higher up in the canyon where it's mostly empty water and rock walls you can barely make out, so I'll be working on adding more landmarks there.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Insane wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting this much enthusiasm for the new biome so soon, so thanks for that!

I have a question for those of you have been exploring it: are you finding it too difficult to orient yourselves and explore or is it ok? I think some disorientation adds too the creepiness and opens up gameplay options with things like the new Seamoth upgrade, but I want it to be fun rather than frustrating. There's definitely an issue higher up in the canyon where it's mostly empty water and rock walls you can barely make out, so I'll be working on adding more landmarks there.

It is a little disorienting. Maybe if we had a system in the Seamoth to help reorient ourselves then it could help. Maybe give us the option to blast the lights on our Seamoth, with the downside that it'll make predators down there attack you.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members

I don't mind a little disorientation. The world as it is now is very easy to navigate, so I would welcome a little challenge.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    If those bubble-producing coral showed up periodically, it would provide a natural way for the player to orient themselves.
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    I think a new upgrade that showed a wire-frame Seamoth in it's current orientation could be kinda cool and helpful at times.
    Something simplistic like this (link below) but with an image of the Seamoth in the middle:

http://oopweb.com/Graphics/Documents/companim/Volume/animation/orientation/fixed/image1.gif
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members

This is 600m Deep, it should NOT be easy to navigate, in fact it should stay close to how it is. SN still has lighting issues where darkness will practically spawn itself into your game and you can lose all sense of direction... that aside, I think it is fantastic that a player can't just wander in and pick up late game materials (such as the blood oil ;) )
    Updated op with easy instructions on how to get there
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited September 2015

i must say the biome is absolutley awsome great work! i had a little bit to hard time finding my way out you should be avible to see a bit better.
    i absolutley loved the blood moushrooms so i would like to some more of that if possible!
    and i realy think the biome should link up with the jellyshroom caves biome and i would be happy if there where some more smaller biomes and where the only entence is threw the jellyshroom caves it would give a reason to explore more in there (the jellyshroom caves)
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Seldkam wrote: »

This is 600m Deep, it should NOT be easy to navigate, in fact it should stay close to how it is.

Aye. Deep places are currently too well lit in my opinion.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members

I agree, disorientation adds to the gameplay a lot. There aren't many truly dark places in Subnautica, so to me the Blood Kelp biome is a welcome addition.
    crane476 wrote: »

I agree, disorientation adds to the gameplay a lot. There aren't many truly dark places in Subnautica, so to me the Blood Kelp biome is a welcome addition.

I'd say almost none tbh. There needs to be a form of land over the player for it to be truly pitch black (unless you're somewhere ridiculously deep... the bottom of the floating island biome is truly dark)

• treehuggerpersontreehuggerperson Somewhere Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203190Members
    I like the for it to be a bit disorienting! It makes it scarier!! BOO! :p

It's marvelous right now, but once we get some monsters down there trying to make us lunch, it might be a different story.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    edited September 2015
    En9a9e wrote: »
    Thanks man. I know I could've just used commands, but I'm trying not to cheat at this point.
    EDIT: Sorry, I replied to the wrong person! I'm new to the forum.
    En9a9e wrote: »
    Thanks man. I know I could've just used commands, but I'm trying not to cheat at this point.
    EDIT: Sorry, I replied to the wrong person! I'm new to the forum.

Heh, all good. It's a dangerous swim though, even in a seamoth ;)
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2015