Update focused on creatures... please.

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
Title basically. Aside from a lack of focus on them in recent updates, reapers still spawning directly behind / in front of you, bonesharks (apparently, though I haven't had any trouble with them) being irritating, etc.

List goes on, and basically can be summed up by looking at the topics on the forums.

This is what I'd most like to see next

Comments

• silva150silva150 Portugal Join Date: 2015-07-06 Member: 206021Members
    edited September 2015
    It's getting a little repetitive imo..
    But i also want a water texture update, besides the creatures..
    Altough yea, i agree with you.. There are already planned creatures to be added, and hopefully, THOSE, will be comming in-game soon.
    But anyways, i'll guess we'll just have to wait and see..
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    silva150 wrote: »
    We NEED more CREATURES!

See that's the problem in my opinion. We don't need more. Currently there is more than enough problems that could need a little bit of love.
  • silva150silva150 Portugal Join Date: 2015-07-06 Member: 206021Members
    We NEED more CREATURES!

See that's the problem in my opinion. We don't need more. Currently there is more than enough problems that could need a little bit of love.

Ehm gonna rephrase my previous comment. And yea... i guess there are .
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    My post isn't about lack of variety, it's about the silly behavior, both how bonesharks ALWAYS attack on sight, and how reapers spawn in at ridiculous proximity to the player with a random chance as to whether it actually roars to give a warning... Things like that. BALANCING.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    We NEED more CREATURES!

*Wait and sea
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We just added 2 new creatures this update, The Biter fish and Birds, and the Shocker eel is currently being worked on to hopefully go into the next update. We aren't planning on doing a creature only update, since adding creatures alone does not significantly further the gameplay, it merely adds more variety. However, we finally have a programmer who's primary focus at the moment is on creatures, so you will be seeing new ones going in at a much faster pace now.

Agreed that there are a lot of existing creatures that need more fleshing out of their behaviors and we will be addressing that. And some that are not working as intended, which we will also get to in time, though likely after we've added all the new creatures that have built up and are waiting to go into the game.
  • stardestroyer12stardestroyer12 australia Join Date: 2015-03-10 Member: 201912Members
    i dis agree seldkam i find that the way that creatures spawn is great as i keeps you focused and if your not your dead and thats the way i like it
    i dis agree seldkam i find that the way that creatures spawn is great as i keeps you focused and if your not your dead and thats the way i like it

I get that. I actually don't care that the reaper spawns right next to you-- but for the majority of players, this is flat out cheap and unfair. You and me, we may not see it that way because it actually isn't THAT bad if you don't panic immediately, but a new player has NO idea what to do in that situation. Therefore for the sake of the game itself, it should probably change.
    We just added 2 new creatures this update, The Biter fish and Birds, and the Shocker eel is currently being worked on to hopefully go into the next update. We aren't planning on doing a creature only update, since adding creatures alone does not significantly further the gameplay, it merely adds more variety. However, we finally have a programmer who's primary focus at the moment is on creatures, so you will be seeing new ones going in at a much faster pace now.

Agreed that there are a lot of existing creatures that need more fleshing out of their behaviors and we will be addressing that. And some that are not working as intended, which we will also get to in time, though likely after we've added all the new creatures that have built up and are waiting to go into the game.

Thanks. Again, no pressure about the actual variety, I think there is a lot here and even more planned down the road. But... problems persist, and I was hoping to see some movement to confront said problems :)

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Don't get upset if the devs don't do what you want.
    They definitely know better than you when it comes to planning and making updates.
    Don't get upset if the devs don't do what you want.
    They definitely know better than you when it comes to planning and making updates.

No one is upset mate.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    totaly disagree whit a creature only update...criatures are nice to look at but dont do much for game play, better if they add 2 or 3 every update and refine the ones that are already in play (like that damn reaper that goes underground)
    future updades should be more gadgets, more structures to imcorporate in your bases(like chairs tables, decorative things that make it look like its a home to live in), giving a little love to the cyclops that will be almoust useless after this patch, and more mapa or biomes...
    Linfoma wrote: »
    totaly disagree whit a creature only update...criatures are nice to look at but dont do much for game play, better if they add 2 or 3 every update and refine the ones that are already in play (like that damn reaper that goes underground)
    future updades should be more gadgets, more structures to imcorporate in your bases(like chairs tables, decorative things that make it look like its a home to live in), giving a little love to the cyclops that will be almoust useless after this patch, and more mapa or biomes...

You didn't read anything after my first post did you :|

Also, no, without creatures the game would have literally nothing to do except building-- in which case one could just go play minecraft or any other number of crafting / building games
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    edited September 2015
    We NEED more CREATURES!

I wouldn't agree with that, there are like 3 carnivorous creatures (bone shark, sand shark, and stalker) and they're spread across two biomes (grassy plateaus, kelp forests)

the kelp forests are fine, and feel like the only finished biome in the game besides the safe shallows, although another slightly smaller carnivorous creature being added to it and the number of stalkers being lowered would be nice. The grassy plateaus have the other two carnivorous creatures, and NOTHING else, apart for some sandstone and some research fragments. They have no small creatures for the two giant predators to eat, they have no vegetation, there's basically no reason to go there. Then you have the grand reef and sparse reef. They both have a TON of fish, no real vegetation for those fish to eat and no predators around despite the giant pile of fish in the area

edit: oh hey a seamoth update that changed the jelly shroom caves and added biter fish, nice
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    I have never had a reaper spawn on top of me but the thing is quiet fast and even though it spawns out of the draw distance/fog it can get to you quickly.

I also noticed something there aren't enough prey animals to support the reaper population (even though they hunt reefbacks I don't think they share). So i was wondering if there is going to be another herbivore something in between the size of a gasopod and the reefbacks. ( if so maybe something that would explain the speed of the reaper since there is nothing that swims faster then them, like how cheeta's evolved to be really quick to be able to keep up to gazelles.)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited September 2015
    While brand-new creatures is quite a bit of work, I'd like to at least see a bit more variety in the existing creatures.