lethal weapons in Subnautica?

1235»

Comments

• GryphorimGryphorim South of the Reef Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207864Members
    I voted for lethal weapons, but only in the sense that the knife is already a lethal weapon. Personally I'd like to see weapons that don't so much kill, as drive off predators. A modern day harpoon gun might kill a stalker, but it'd be a needle to a leviathan. That said, a needle hurts, and could turn away a leviathan for a brief moment, allowing escape.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Gryphorim wrote: »
    I voted for lethal weapons, but only in the sense that the knife is already a lethal weapon. Personally I'd like to see weapons that don't so much kill, as drive off predators. A modern day harpoon gun might kill a stalker, but it'd be a needle to a leviathan. That said, a needle hurts, and could turn away a leviathan for a brief moment, allowing escape.

Or it could completely piss it off, making it instantly charge you
  • blizz2415blizz2415 Join Date: 2017-10-19 Member: 233626Members
    Or it could completely piss it off, making it instantly charge you[/quote]

chances are if it gets hit and it hurts it will most likely run take for example if you were shot at and it just grazed your arm it will hurt like hell unless you have training or have clean calm collected mind, your fight or flight instinct will go in to overdrive and your going to turn and run for your life same with most animal a sudden surge of pain and they want to try to get the hell out of there and with the top predator sumthing so uniformizer and painful it will retreat to lick is wound before coming back to investigate and in its mind take a look at the species that caused it that pain if you were to let it heal and shot it and gain and repeat 2-3 more times when that specific one would run for the hills at the first site of you or your friends if you have any playing with you and if that species has a communication of some sort like a racoon you would no longer have to deal with that many, yes you would have some that think that youed be easy prey and the few curious adolescents that just want a nibble to see if its edible so in the short run yes it is useful and in the long run as well
    Falco wrote: »
    What is this? We build colony spaceships and stasis rifles, but we're unable to build something as simple as a crossbow or even a spear? Agreed, it would be severely game breaking if one could make a long range weapon right at the beginning of the game, perhaps such things should be expensive to make and maintain, like make the ammo expensive (not energy), so it would be used as last resort or only when very wealthy.
    I mean we're HUMANS, all we ever do is blow stuff up, or invent things to do it more efficiently

I had found this image that says "problem-solving there is nothing on earth that the application of unrisinbly lager amounts of high explosives can't cure"
    TerraBlade wrote: »
    Nuki255 wrote: »
    You definitely shouldn't have a gun if you fear you would use it in anger or stress. You would likely make all of us responsible gun owners look bad. Thank you for that. However where your rights end, mine begins. You all seem to think having a gun in this game would turn everyone into crazed DPS gamers shooting up game. The real question is, why do you care what I do in MY game?

It has less to do about anger and stress and more to do with options. I've seen what guns do, and just how lethal they can be. As a medical professional, and former medic, I can tell you they are not the producer of clean little holes you see in media. So the point was that I don't own a gun since I know that they are nothing but a lethal weapon, and while I can still injure someone if need be with things around my house I would be less likely to outright kill them. I have a vow not to kill if I can ever avoid it, massive physical trauma though you can survive.

Translated to subnautica, the scientist we are supposed to be may wish to have a gun since we tend to shoot what makes us afraid. What if Reapers, as nasty as they are, are to keep some part of the ecosystem in check? That killing even a handful in the 'pod' that spawns might have serious repercussions up and down the food chain? Therefore the scientist would be more willing to misuse equipment but keep themselves away from anything outright lethal in case they panic.

Having lethal weaponry would remove the drive to find alternative ways to deal with some of these creatures. DNA manipulation would be the ultimate form of pacification without killing, and it is coming.

personally, i think the character is an engineer or mechanic of some sort but if he is a scientist then why does he not make tracking tags if you hit in the right place it does not hurt but that is more for sharks on the dorsal fin. if you don't have the dorsal fin that tags sticking in is going to hurt a lot because you have to stick it in deep enough in to the skin so that it will not fall out and yes I get it it is human shot and kill we are the only species that kills for sport but with the Reaper and leviathans I would like to keep some distance between us and turn and tell it to (pardon my language) fuck of maybe not kill it but if it really wants me for a snack or has a taste for human flesh you really want to tell it to piss off just so that you can live but the infected creatures by the sound of it it is kind of like rabes so you would be doing them a favour by putting them out of there misery because I don't think that at the moment you can give them the antidotes pr cure
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Whyyyyyy? Why with the thread necromancy?!?!?!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    ...not only was it two years old, it's a totally played out topic...
    022.jpg

• AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Absolutely NO weapons
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Absolutely NO weapons

Tell that to my Seamoth, that thing kills more stuff just driving it around :D

Alright, I have another question!

Why do we "drive" submarines around. Isn't there some other word for that, like sail but underwater... Dutch has "varen", which applies to both on and underwater "driving"
    there is that kind of rifle thing in the sea emperor containment unite I think that you should be able to scan it and get some kind cyclops upgrade or atlas upgrade (if they add the atlas) and have it a defensive so if your in single player there A.I. controlled unless you get in the turret and it just
    there is that kind of rifle thing in the sea emperor containment unite I think that you should be able to scan it and get some kind cyclops upgrade or atlas upgrade (if they add the atlas) and have it a defensive so if your in single player there A.I. controlled unless you get in the turret and it just stings it creates heat so the dragon Leviathan not so effective ghost leviathan almost lethal but the repper leviathan is just the perfect different
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    As previously mentioned, the DEVs have stated over and over again there will be no lethal weapons in Subnautica. This is a game about exploration and not a First Person Shooter. If you want lethal weapons, UWE wrote an absolutely awesome game called Natural Selection 2. Lots of lethal weapons in that game. :)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Absolutely NO weapons

Why do we "drive" submarines around. Isn't there some other word for that, like sail but underwater... Dutch has "varen", which applies to both on and underwater "driving"

I think technically you "pilot" a submarine. I would ask, but the only person I know who could give a definitive answer is currently driving/piloting a submarine for like the next month and a half. I'll ask him on his Thanksgiving leave lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2017
    Seems legit, I mean they kinda handle like a plane with more buoyancy, or rather the cooler brother of balloons or zeppelins :tongue:
    i completly get the no lethatl wepons i do ok it is just i would like to tell some of the bigger creaters to piss of not kill them just get the point acrose to them that it is not a smart idea to attack me in my sub and that i can hurt besids there is no reson to kill the eny of the laviothans or eny thing else it is just a wast of time and resors to kill them there is nobenafits to killing yes having somthing lethal other than the knife would be nice to tell the bight fish to that i will not go quietly in to the night but me and a budy were talking and one little joke we came up with is " i have a brand new knife i am invinsible..." dragon laviothan comes right in foront of you and flicks you away saying "yes yes you are dead now" so you get my point you dont want to die but there is a comprimys you can have a none lethal wepon the military has already developed a crowed control wepon that ether sends micro waves or infared rays at the group of people and it caused lots of discomfort by maiking it feel like your skin is on fire (no they will not be using this tech in eny wars ever it is elegal ethere geniva or somthing esle prohibest it) so can you see my piont? and what i kind of want just some kind of none lethal teret on the cyclopes or the atlas if they add it in the game that can be autonomes and can only be activated by the piolt if the sub is atacked by a creatur you do not have to get it and if you think that you can get out of the situation without using it then you dont need to activat it ( it would drain some % of power by each shot so if you leave it on or try to over use it you will end up dead in the water)
    edited October 2017
    blizz, really...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

I'm telling you right now, no one will even attempt to read that. Come back when you've fixed that unreadable messy wall of text :D
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    All I want for a new weapon is a propulsion cannon knife modification station made speargun deals same damage as knife but needs a new spear each time. Is not a killing weapon more like a "back off" defence mechanisim. Can also catch fish. Can be upgraded in modification station to have a string attached.

Crafting: Speargun Propulsion cannon,a wiring kit,computer chip and knife. Comes with 3 spears
    Spears: Is throwable but not effective needs 2 titanium for 3 spears
    Modified version: Speargun and 3 creepvine samples no need for replacement spears auto-reels in caught fish

Thats my idea but I am insane.
    Absolutely NO weapons

I think technically you "pilot" a submarine. I would ask, but the only person I know who could give a definitive answer is currently driving/piloting a submarine for like the next month and a half. I'll ask him on his Thanksgiving leave lol

There's a few former submariners lurking round here. @ApoNono for one. There was another hanging around too that I noticed, but I've forgotten his username.
    read or leve it but my point is give me something to tell the big thing to piss off maybe not to kill them but to get the point across that i am not food
    edited October 2017
    blizz2415 wrote: »
    read or leve it but my point is give me something to tell the big thing to piss off maybe not to kill them but to get the point across that i am not food

Just ram anything with your Seamoth, if it's threatening you. Or if you wanna get fancy, use that propulsion cannon :D
    so you want me to take my seamoth and ram a dragon leviathan no offense but that is not very effective (nore are the torpedos)
    blizz2415 wrote: »
    so you want me to take my seamoth and ram a dragon leviathan no offense but that is not very effective (nore are the torpedos)

Do or do not. There is no try!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Absolutely NO weapons

There's a few former submariners lurking round here. @ApoNono for one. There was another hanging around too that I noticed, but I've forgotten his username.

Last I knew, both were used. Technically, you pilot a sub. But, at the same time, a trained submarine pilot is also called (in slang) a "sub driver." Plus, maneuvering under power to a different depth is often called driving.

English, man. Such a precise language. (WARNING: Sarcasm detected.)

Okay, now that this is settled, would someone please stake this thread once and for all? The villagers are tired of it lumbering into town and we can't find the pitchforks.
    edited October 2017
    Hmm, so if a plane is on the ground. Does the pilot drive it and as a result, goes from being a pilot to being a "huge bus" driver after landing :trollface:

And what happens if your boat is sinking. :trollface::trollface: Or if you crashland a plane in water :trollface::trollface::trollface: Not even mentioning water planes :trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface:
This discussion has been closed.