paranoia

Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
I think they should add some horror to the game and no not blood and gore scary im talking about paranoia not know whats there such as when you go deeper into the depths (very deep) you
start seeing things in the shadows catching things out of the corner of your eyes, creatures that you can only see with special equipment, eclipse were the sky goes completely black and no
light hits the planet and creatures that you would only find in the depths come to the surface. or a mob that you find in a cave that will follow you just out of your sight for long
periods of time then attack when u least expect it Screechs randomly coming from the deep etc.. i think that would really nail the whole your on an alien planet byourself you have no idea what to expect

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    A creature that can turn invisible would be rad and also spooky.

Like a squid monster that can cloak itself, or blind you with ink
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    you would need special googles or gear to see it let alone stop it
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    I think they should add some horror to the game and no not blood and gore scary im talking about paranoia not know whats there such as when you go deeper into the depths (very deep) you
    start seeing things in the shadows catching things out of the corner of your eyes, creatures that you can only see with special equipment, eclipse were the sky goes completely black and no
    light hits the planet and creatures that you would only find in the depths come to the surface. or a mob that you find in a cave that will follow you just out of your sight for long
    periods of time then attack when u least expect it Screechs randomly coming from the deep etc.. i think that would really nail the whole your on an alien planet byourself you have no idea what to expect

That sounds really interesting. I totally agree to the paranoia point (a fear far beyond blood and gore).

They also should add something like the "Bloop" Sound. but not just from a sound file - from an ingame present creature in the distance (dont forget, water is a perfekt sound medium - far better than air!).

• jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    I like the idea of areas on the map that are completely dark that may require special equipment to see in (it would open the gates for so many deep-sea creature ideas). Maybe a creature that incorporates some form of camouflage or is highly transparent would be a great addition to this area? Some scary ambiance would really add to the game too. There's nothing more terrifying to me than swimming in the darkest depths of the ocean with monsters wailing around you.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Bloop wrote: »
    They also should add something like the "Bloop" Sound. but not just from a sound file - from an ingame present creature in the distance (dont forget, water is a perfekt sound medium - far better than air!).

Hell, just play the sound. Even that alone would be enough to make some people panic.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    This game is already terrifying....
    sayerulz wrote: »

why not make it even more terrifying
    edited September 2015
    sayerulz wrote: »

why not make it even more terrifying

Thats exactly the spirit I want to see here! ;-)

• gwacagwaca Join Date: 2014-09-26 Member: 198731Members
    jjust19 wrote: »
    I like the idea of areas on the map that are completely dark that may require special equipment to see in (it would open the gates for so many deep-sea creature ideas). Maybe a creature that incorporates some form of camouflage or is highly transparent would be a great addition to this area? Some scary ambiance would really add to the game too. There's nothing more terrifying to me than swimming in the darkest depths of the ocean with monsters wailing around you.

Good idea.
    But why would a lifeform spend the energy to evolve a camuflage or be transparent if there isn't any light.
    I think fishes with camuflage should be in the areas with sunlight.

I also think that the fishes in the darker areas could use sonar to find their pray.
    The prey then could look like a stealth bomber, because it doesn't want the soundwaves to be reflectet back to their predator.

But thats just my opinion.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think it'd be stupid to have some kind of in-game paranoia, that's taking a step too far into the unnessecary. Things are or they aren't. If you're someone who is prone to paranoia, the game will natutally provide it. Or you tough it out and dont experience it. I would hate to be forced to feel something in the game that I dont actually feel as I'm playing.
    @2cough

I totally disagree!
    It is not our or the devs problem if you are not able to have such feelings. With that logic they wouldnt produce colored movies because some people are colorblind!
    2cough wrote: »
    I think it'd be stupid to have some kind of in-game paranoia, that's taking a step too far into the unnessecary. Things are or they aren't. If you're someone who is prone to paranoia, the game will natutally provide it. Or you tough it out and dont experience it. I would hate to be forced to feel something in the game that I dont actually feel as I'm playing.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror
    which we are barely able to endure and are awed
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    Each single angel is terrifying.

-Rainer Maria Rilke

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2015
    Some ppl are frightened of deep water and the paranoia they experience from that fear alone will cause them to react to the game without any additional help.

The game already nails the feeling of "you're on an alien planet by yourself " (ftfy), and adding things like this sound nothing more than cheesy to me. Also, it seems quite illogical. Invisible creatures? What purpose do they serve? Tie into story? What's the point? LIke I said, things are or they are not. One's own imagination and audio/visual matrixing can add much more than any kind of "created" effect IMO.

Also, maybe clean up your OP because it's pretty difficult to read through all the long-running sentences to gain a clear idea of what you're trying to convey.

And @Bloop, I disagree w/ your analogy there. You can not compare a physical incapabilty or handicap (color-blindness) to mental ruggedness. One either can or can not distinguish reds, oranges, etc. One can be afraid of the dark, or one can have conquered this fear.

Pretty much you're suggesting that you're forced to feel something that you do not in reality, and that's something that is going to be unique from one player to the next. The fear factors, IMO, are already there: depth, darkness (alone), and life-threatening creatures.
    Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror
    which we are barely able to endure and are awed
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    Each single angel is terrifying.

-Rainer Maria Rilke

How is this relevant? There's plenty of terror and beauty already in the game... without proposed "paranoia," which your poem does not mention.
    edited September 2015
    Some ppl are frightened of deep water and the paranoia they experience from that fear alone will cause them to react to the game without any additional help.
    Then why are they playing this game?

Pretty much you're suggesting that you're forced to feel something that you do not in reality

Your on an alien planet IN A VIDEO GAME!!! none of this is reality

also i played this game i did everything you could then i did it on hardcore
    the update came out i did it again etc...

after a while it becomes less scary you know what to expect, when you hear creepy noises odds are nothings there... I want something to be there i want the game to be unpredictable, nothing drives someone more than fear..

when im treading deep waters worse case scenario i see a bone shark and one click of a repulsion cannon and poof its gone
    but what if there is something i cant see...

something following me instead of goofing off (like i do) im going to get my butt in gear if im in a cave and something from the shadow jumps at me, i have to make a split second
    decision and its my choices in that moment that will make me live or die AND THATS what makes a great survival game

I hear a creepy noise coming from the cave tunnels "do i check it out or do i save cave diving for another day?" I catch something out of the corner of my eye "do i head inside my base or do i go gather food?" etc

right now this game doesn't have those questions you know whats there if u see a crash u stasis rifle it you see a stalker u repulsion cannon it. it requires no thought this game needs fear to make its player use there heads more
    edited September 2015
    Then why are they playing this game?

Pretty much you're suggesting that you're forced to feel something that you do not in reality

Your on an alien planet IN A VIDEO GAME!!! none of this is reality

also i played this game i did everything you could then i did it on hardcore
    the update came out i did it again etc...

after a while it becomes less scary you know what to expect, when you hear creepy noises odds are nothings there... I want something to be there i want the game to be unpredictable, nothing drives someone more than fear..

when im treading deep waters worse case scenario i see a bone shark and one click of a repulsion cannon and poof its gone
    but what if there is something i cant see...

something following me instead of goofing off (like i do) im going to get my butt in gear if im in a cave and something from the shadow jumps at me, i have to make a split second
    decision and its my choices in that moment that will make me live or die AND THATS what makes a great survival game

I hear a creepy noise coming from the cave tunnels "do i check it out or do i save cave diving for another day?" I catch something out of the corner of my eye "do i head inside my base or do i go gather food?" etc

right now this game doesn't have those questions you know whats there if u see a crash u stasis rifle it you see a stalker u repulsion cannon it. it requires no thought this game needs fear to make its player use there heads more

I think the same wise! the unpredictible is the biggest Thrill! Thats why I think the devs should implement MANY secrets and hidden creatures. I dont want to see every creatures 3d model releazed by the devs! They should keep some secrets! And we as the players should discover the depth more uncertainly!
  • NeskahNeskah United States of America Join Date: 2015-05-15 Member: 204513Members
    Personally, I wouldn't like to see this feature added. I have a weird combination between a slight phobia of water, yet a complete fascination with anything involving the ocean. I love looking at things under there, but also I imagine stuff moving in the distance which isn't there. Adding this would completely freak me out.

Instead, I'd just like to see them continue to develop scary creatures, like the Sea Dragon Leviathan, whenever it's ready. The paranoia comes with the already developed atmosphere, and the game would take care of this on its own. (Once more scary creatures are added)
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    Stealth is comon in the water.
    You've got fish that pretend to be plants, fish that bury themselves in the sand
    and octopuses that change color
    Giving these powers to subnautica's fauna would rock.
    Paranoia? The devs just need to download a couple sound files. When you hear a freaky sound for the first time, you don't know if you're being attacked, or if it's just there to scare you. Keep the players guessing.
    Add in hallucinations and crap. I know if I were in that situation, I'd hallucinate being attacked by some freaking massive thing from the deep about every ten seconds. Maybe they shouldn't go to that extent, but add in occasional hallucinations. Like I said, keep the players guessing.
    yes the problem with that is players would eventually figure out theres nothing i dont want there to be nothing i want there to be something
    yes the problem with that is players would eventually figure out theres nothing i dont want there to be nothing i want there to be something

Which is why you have it so that there's no distinction. Is that a Reaper coming to eat my face, or is it just another hallucination? Maybe hallucinations should increase in occurrence as your hunger and thirst bars deplete, and also when a new "fear" bar goes higher. The fear bar would increase the longer you're outside of the comforts of Seabases, Cyclopes, and the Escape Pod. Different areas would cause different steady increases (the Aurora would increase very quickly, but the safe shallows would be very slow). Being attacked would spike the fear rating a considerable amount, but again, depending on what the adversary is. Just a random idea, I guess.
  • LeechSoupDotYumLeechSoupDotYum Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213378Members
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    What About A Xenomorph?