underwater currents and tidal forces, uses and detrements

tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
we already know the game engine can support his in a limited means with the current generator, but i've been thinking
b7ce8dc9d1a53a827e17105a87dca2.jpg

clearly this planet has a significant moon, making tidal forces all but certain.

with very little landmass wind currents would be very strong.

so here are my thoughts. A. why are there no waves? B. why is there no ocean currents? C. why is there no audible wind?

(obvious answer is this game is in alpha and that hasn't been added.)

this would make things interesting, making the powerglide necessary to swim against strong undertows, needing to anchor down floating objects and maybe even submerged ones (gravisphere?)

or when your bases get damaged, pieces might rip off from water currents forcing you to salvage the hunks of your base as they float away.

if and when these things are added i have suggestions for power generation.

Sheringham_Shoal_Wind_Farm_2012.jpg

obviously on a smaller scale

HR-Artists-impression-of-SeaGen-array-1-raised-C-Marine-Current-Turbines-TM-Ltd-HR-SGB-em.jpg

using the currents as wind

0811-wave-schematic-400.gif

this uses the up and down force of waves to generate power.

obviously, i want you guys to expand this as you all are much more creative than i am.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Build Hydroelectric plant
    >Build 2 Current Generators
    >Point Current Generators at Hydroelectric plant
    >Unlimited free power
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    >Unlimited free power

Current generators would have to use power
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Kelfa wrote: »
    >Unlimited free power

It's like Troll Science. You use the thing being powered to generate power. A flashlight pointed at a solar panel. A fan pointed at a wind turbine. A current generator pointed at a hydroelectric plant. The idea is that the machines being powered are efficient enough that some power is left over. Like, a solar panel used 50% power on the flashlight that's charging it (that won't work, by the way), and the other 50% on whatever else.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited August 2015
    Aside form tides, current turbines would be rather interesting. I discovered an underwater current leaking form the ground. If you wanna look at it ingame, open the console and type "warp 400 -25 -175" (without the " " of course).

Like the heat vents for the termal plant these could serve as some kind of power source with current turbines ... and they are already in the game and ready to go!
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    >Unlimited free power

It's like Troll Science. You use the thing being powered to generate power. A flashlight pointed at a solar panel. A fan pointed at a wind turbine. A current generator pointed at a hydroelectric plant. The idea is that the machines being powered are efficient enough that some power is left over. Like, a solar panel used 50% power on the flashlight that's charging it (that won't work, by the way), and the other 50% on whatever else.

ya that type of system is really annoying since none of it works in reality, to even a decent level.

Also we need coal, oil, and gas on this planet. Because it's safe to say the planet has existed long enough with life for these deposits to form, at least in a small way. Also these things wouldn't need to be for just power generation, Oil being the main one here. Because you can make a lot of different things from oil from building and packing materials to stuff you find in food.
  • TigatronTigatron Latvia Join Date: 2015-11-17 Member: 209319Members
    IvanKeska wrote: »
    The_Shark wrote: »
    >Unlimited free power

ya that type of system is really annoying since none of it works in reality, to even a decent level.

Also we need coal, oil, and gas on this planet. Because it's safe to say the planet has existed long enough with life for these deposits to form, at least in a small way. Also these things wouldn't need to be for just power generation, Oil being the main one here. Because you can make a lot of different things from oil from building and packing materials to stuff you find in food.

Sure, but imagine how many years it took to us to develop all that chemical crap for us to use, and all the machinery to get it. Uranium is good enough I would say, and to have more friendly environment energy is what I would prefer, as we already have. I imagine that the game is set in time where the human race had realized what they had done to earth, and one messed up planet might be enough.