A way to work in weapons with pacifism: two different paths to take

2»

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited August 2015
    Acknowledging that I pointed out what is ridiculous about your argument does not make it any less ridiculous.
    Crying "strawman!" Does not invalidate the criticism.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Acknowledging that I pointed out what is ridiculous about your argument does not make it any less ridiculous.
    And yet your criticism is invalid..
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Whatever you say buddy.
  • AnarchAnarch Around Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206928Members
    Lethal weapons do not work from a design point. You can mod them in later.
    Anarch wrote: »
    Factually incorrect.

• BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    Anarch wrote: »
    Factually incorrect.

Actually this game is a game of discovery and adaptation, more so than a 'survival' game, to adapt is to survive in a sense. and as a colonization ship, taking weapons to worlds you don't know a thing about is a BAD idea, if any of the indigenous life is able to adapt to, and use those weapons against you it makes for a new life form that now has technology well beyond what they should have normally, making for a new, dangerous, unknown factor that threatens the success of the mission.

Case and point, the Aurora crashed, and based on the images I've seen of the Aurora (and in game) it was a scientific/civilian vessel, likely cruiser class based on size without any armaments on the hull. IE they wouldn't carry weapons, particularly if there are other forms of sentient life capable of star travel, since carrying weapons on a civilian vessel could have created interstellar territorial disputes. Hell even if humans are the only intelligent life in this game (to the point of interstellar travel that is) each world would have it's own laws and customs, and by not carrying weapons on the vessel that would make refueling at other human controlled worlds easier.

Kinda like how researchers traveling to the amazon don't take weapons with them, they'll take knives and other such tools, but not to fight with, rather to aid in specimen and sample gathering.
    Oh boy where to start.
  • Sir_ToffingtonSir_Toffington Join Date: 2015-08-11 Member: 207015Members
    edited August 2015
    To be honest I find it really refreshing that you play a scientist/engineer rather than a soldier; and in keeping with that I find it unlikely that he would understand how to use conventional weapons, particularly if they are advanced.

Lets assume for arguments sakes that there were some kind of weapons or a fire-team aboard the Aurora to maintain order and deal with overly hostile life while the colony was being set up, why does that mean that our character should know how to use the presumably advanced and complex technology involved. How many of you would know how to operate an assault rifle with any degree of skill without training? Let alone maintain the damn thing. I know I certainly couldn't. Keeping in mind that the future might not necessarily have the American right to bear arms for the entire planet I find it unlikely that our scientist would have any idea how to use any small-arms tech he might find.

This to me pretty much rules out conventional weapons of any sort. On the other hand he IS presumably an engineer/scientist so I see no problem with creative jerry-rigged solutions otherwise known as "scienceing the **** out of this thing". Using otherwise benign technology to scare away, stun, incapacitate or perhaps even kill local wildlife is likely something he would eventually learn how to do and seems more in keeping with the themes of the game to me.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    edited August 2015
    sayerulz wrote: »
    There has been a lot of back and forth on this issue, and I think that I have a way to make weapons work in the game. Give players two different sort of playstyles that the game is built around: working with the environment, and making the environment suit you. If one chooses to work with the environment, then they would have different things to do that would be good for that. They might use the DNA extractor and related items a lot for example, altering themselves to better suit this planet. They might deal with obstacles differently. Say that there is some cyclops-munching deathfish that lives in an area you need to go. A player that has chosen to adapt might study another creature that lives with it to discover how it defends itself, while a player who chooses to make the world around them adapt might build some form of weapon to drive off the creature. There could be a middle ground as well, for instance creating a more heavily armored sub. No one way would be better or worse, but they would all offer unique challenges that might suit different players. And any player who wants total pacifism can do that in their own world, while another person might choose to blast their way through things in their way.

I am all for having multiple solutions to the problem, in fact the devs seem to be doing this already with the Aurora as you can actually drive the seamoth into the side breach and be out of range of the Reapers. Or you could build the Cyclops and enter through the bow of the ship. Both are viable ways to reach the reactor and fix the radiation leak. However I don't wish to see more weapons, and would rather see more variations that require critical thinking. The game has always come across more along the lines of a puzzle games with survival elements, and would like to see that expanded. Using either the propulsion gun or a big brother variant to drop a boulder to block the 'deathfish' from leaving it's nest would be more satisfying then using a weapon to kill it, or as you suggested you could use DNA to somehow make the sub non-appetizing.

I'm all for multiple solutions for a problem, even if they aren't 'pacifist', but I don't see the need for new weapons as much as I do for leaving room for clever adaptation of existing tools. Using a propulsion gun mounted to a seamoth with a scavenged plasma canister to reenact Jaws with a reaper is perfectly valid as another solution to maybe using DNA or just sneaking past, and it still wouldn't need a new weapon.
    For the friendly fish it would slow them down and make them less likely to run away from you.
    We already have that, it's called the stasis rifle. Also works on all lifeforms without the need of a separate weapon or DNA adaptation.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    we already have weapons so arguing weapons are "bad" is pointless

we just need more EFFECTIVE weapons
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    While Aggression vs. Pacifism is a fine theme to explore, I'd like the game to eventually give the players tools to do something a little different.

I think it'd be cool to explore the choice of To change yourself to suite the environment or Force the environment to bow to your will.

So on the one hand, you could end up with dna modification for gills or night vision or webbed feet and fingers. Basically going full mutant fishman. Maybe dna mods for color changing skin as camo. Many many ideas you could go with. Maybe long range travel is hitching a ride with a big semi-tamed sea creature or developing an organic construct to act as a submarine.

vs

Building big honking subs, weapons, sonics to deter predators. Big bases that might shoot anything that goes near.

Does that end up looking very similar to a pacifism vs. aggression dynamic? Sure. But fighting to keep "humanity" vs. Adapting to the world is a theme that's more interesting to me to see explored.

I can't say what direction the game Dev's are looking to build the game into, but that's just my two cents.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    Zixinus wrote: »
    Oh look it's the "Give the player a weapon and they will immediately kill the entire ocean and then quit the game forever" argument again.

Oh look, it's a strawman thread-hijack by someone who refuses to acknowledge a decision already long made about the game.

and slavery used to be legal in the united states. nothing is set in stone.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    edited August 2015
    [Mod Edit: Insults, personal attacks and flaming are not welcome on these forums. If you can't express your views without resorting to these, please find another outlet for your frustration.]
    and @ArkStrike im not trying to take you out of context man. that is just the context as i see it. if you feel diffrent, please make an ass out of me and correct me.

i don't want to make you out as a dick, hope you understand ok dude.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    This thread is going in a direction I did not want it to....
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited August 2015
    I have never played a suspenseful game and thought to my self "you know what would improve the atmosphere? BULLETS"

I would love for the subs to have non-lethals and other tools for dealing with monsters.

That being said i honestly I feel lethal weapons would take away from the game's overall feel. There are enough survival games based around combat systems.

Burdock wrote: »
    I have never played a suspenseful game and thought to my self "you know what would improve the atmosphere? BULLETS"

I would love for the subs to have non-lethals and other tools for dealing with monsters.

That being said i honestly I feel lethal weapons would take away from the game's overall feel. There are enough survival games based around combat systems.

alien isolation.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited August 2015
    Burdock wrote: »

alien isolation.

You could not kill the alien with the flamethrower in alien isolation, just piss it off. That's one of the reasons the game was so tense, all you could to is run and hide.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members

It does when my argument is in a different thread. Unless you can point out where in this thread is my argument repeated by someone else.
    and slavery used to be legal in the united states. nothing is set in stone.

No but it is laughable that you think the two efforts are remotely similar.
  • Volt_JoltVolt_Jolt Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205204Members
    They should make a harpoon gun to attach to two places so that you can stop sea creatures from approaching like the reaper leviathan but the string breaks after a while just to make it fair with the animal, as well as you have to maybe craft the ammo i dunno. normal guns would make it boring