Subnautica Multiplayer: When, if, how, and why. - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
imageSubnautica Multiplayer: When, if, how, and why. - Subnautica

Subnautica multiplayer is a question of Cyclops-sized proportions. Every day, several threads pop up on the Steam and Unknown Worlds Subnautica forums asking: “When will Subnautica get multiplayer?.” For a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    Thanks for posting this article. You pretty much laid out what I was assuming was the case with the "will there ever be Subnautica multiplayer" question.

In any case, I'm excited to see where this game goes and what features are developed going forward. I'm a huge fan of the experience already in the game and can't wait for more!
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    And that's that on the subject, sort of saw that coming from a mile away.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    jakub17 wrote: »
    I bought subnautica in the hope that it will be multiplayer and play with my best fellow who bought it for the same reason, please do not make me and my friend to buy subnautice from scratch just for multiplayer

If they did a Subnautica:Together it wouldn't be released for a long time after Subnautica gets released. That means yes you might need to re-buy it, but it would probably be on a shiner, newer version of Unity and Directx and all that other stuff, so would be more than worth-it.

Personally, I think that is the best option, and is one I was going to follow myself, if my own game single-player project becomes successful.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    jakub17 wrote: »
    I bought subnautica in the hope that it will be multiplayer and play with my best fellow who bought it for the same reason, please do not make me and my friend to buy subnautice from scratch just for multiplayer

If they did a Subnautica:Together it wouldn't be released for a long time after Subnautica gets released. That means yes you might need to re-buy it, but it would probably be on a shiner, newer version of Unity and Directx and all that other stuff, so would be more than worth-it.

Personally, I think that is the best option, and is one I was going to follow myself, if my own game single-player project becomes successful.

I don't see the point of buying the 'same' game to play with a friend. Because I assume the price would be probably the same. I can't see how it can be worth it in any way. That's a shitty way to earn even more money if the game is successful and not lose it if it's not, it's business but from a player point of view, it can't be rightful. You either add it later on or you skip it. End. You don't release another game for that only purpose and a couple of tweaks to show we did a lot of work. I can understand how long it might be to implement a multiplayer coop mode but I'd rather see no multiplayer than a new game.

That's their choice not to go for a multiplayer. I must be honest and say that I was waiting for it so it makes me quite disappointed. However, I bought it at its earliest stages and love it. Though right now, there's not much to do and going through the whole Subnautica universe with a friend would have been wonderful.
  • CarlssonCarlsson Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-24 Member: 202504Members
    edited August 2015
    get this amazing game as complete as you can, release it fully on PC, PS4 & XBOX One, make some profit, then start working on multiplayer etc. :)

And there's no doubt that, this game would be well recieved on consoles aswell.
  • LuceoX30LuceoX30 Bude Join Date: 2015-07-24 Member: 206365Members
    it would be nice to have multiplayer in the game, if you do more people will want to play the game. and if you do use a face editing feature.
  • mpcarolinmpcarolin United States Join Date: 2015-01-07 Member: 200674Members
    I really think this is for the best. For multiplayer to be a sufficiently compelling experience to justify the costs, Subnautica would have to change A LOT. As is, Subnautica is one of my favorite solitary games, but throwing another person into the game wouldn't add very much to the experience. I think we would need greater threats to motivate teamwork and interaction, for instance, or deeper base construction to capitalize on joint creativity.

But I love the idea of releasing a co-op add on later on, like Don't Starve has done.
  • MikerosoftMikerosoft Germany Join Date: 2015-07-23 Member: 206353Members
    I thnik that you shoud not working for the multiplayer yet! I mean i really wanna play this game with my friends and of curse it woud be soo cool BUT i thnik it woud be like "The Forest" multiplayer bugy and not really beable to play! :/ so i woud preseate if u work fr more cool stuf and not for a multiplayer YET! If there is a way to get a little group wich makes the multiplayer it can be rune the game.
    So what i want is that you not work for the Multiplayer or when u want to let otherguys do this becuse that woud be wasted time that u cut use for some really cool stuf! What i wish for the next update woud be probaly new big as* Monsters ^-^ Good luck from Mike in Germany!!! :)
  • Captain0fChaosCaptain0fChaos Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206387Members
    Instead of making a whole different game, just make a dlc content pack
  • SoichSoich USA Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206623Members
    Why not get some more people, and divide the game!he's workload into 2 parts?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Soich wrote: »
    Why not get some more people, and divide the game!he's workload into 2 parts?

I should imagine budget constraints prevent then from employing another team. Besides they already said that working on multiplayer would create such huge changes for the game that it just isn't feasible right now. Surely the best thing for the devs to do at this moment is get the game working as they want it to and then look into multiplayer. Yes, they could do a multiplayer thing as a standalone project but for the moment I think they have enough on their plates right now. :smile:
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    edited August 2015
    I'm really hoping for a multiplayer component. This game would really appreciate it, as well as the players. I'm disappointed that the thought of making it only single player exists.
  • gwacagwaca Join Date: 2014-09-26 Member: 198731Members
    Just ignor multiplayer for now and focus on everything else (like the creature in the backround).
    If the game is released, start working on a multiplayer update. But if i have to pay for it, i would only do so if it has a discount for beople who alredy bought the game bevore the update.
    Or maybe you can ask some guys from the NS2 community dev. team for help on the multiplayer.
  • DraconalisDraconalis Texas Join Date: 2015-08-26 Member: 207499Members
    I just found out about this game, and the thing keeping me from locking it down on my Steam Library is the lack of multiplayer. I want to be able to dive with friends. Diving is suppose to be a buddy hobby, because without your buddy to watch your back, too much can go wrong. Co-op fits so well within the scope of the game. I've got it on my wishlist, and I suppose I'll just have to check back in a year or so.
  • phil9871phil9871 Coolidge Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207526Members
    edited August 2015
    Why not out source it to teams that have made multiplayer for others games that neevr did it them selfs..Like the team that added Multiplayer to Just Cause 2...Or Kerbal Space program..They did it for free, just to do it...And pay them later maybe...
  • flamedramon7600flamedramon7600 The digital world Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207580Members
    When you put in multiplayer you can expect a rush of players money and popularity so drop everything and get to work. I'm not buying until you do
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    When you put in multiplayer you can expect a rush of players money and popularity so drop everything and get to work. I'm not buying until you do

I wouldn't be all mean and bossy about it, but working on multiplayer would definitely result in a massive increase in your playerbase.
  • BrieyaBrieya Las Vegas, NV Join Date: 2015-06-12 Member: 205419Members
    In the current time, since there isn't a multiplayer option for me to play with my friends and immediate family, I've been making videos & uploading screenshots. My small group of admirers and myself LOVE Subnautica, and we understand this is going to take time. Looking forward to all your hard efforts!
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    ya i would rather you guys wait till its finished so you dont end up like the multiplayer in the forest BTW love this game
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    If the dev team are going to drop the Coop/MP aspect of the game, then let the modders get too it. In the past modders have developed Coop/MP for games that never supported coop/mp gameplay in the code yet they have done it.
  • ArzinxArzinx Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204938Members

As they said in the post, if they did immediately start working on multi-player, there would be no updates/ very small updates for ages. And don't threaten not to buy unless they do what you want
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited September 2015
    I got athleast 5 friends that will buy the game when it gets multyplayer.
    I absolutley love this game and try to convince them to buy it anyway but they won't -_- also i think it would be more fun to play multiplayer. But ofcurse i think evrything you do is awsome so keep going!
  • hellfiredovahhellfiredovah California Join Date: 2015-09-06 Member: 207756Members
    if anyone has played ark survival evolved and experienced its multiplayer style, this game should be like that. i made a base that is mix of a trading post and a checkpoint with around 25 moon pools. if subnautica gets a multiplayer there should at least be quite a few players in each world, makes it nicer as people can make bases in different biomes and friends can play together.
  • Honza368Honza368 Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207800Members
    Nice Now we know the Developers are planing multiplayer yay :D but its gonna be long time (Probably)
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >There are actually kids in this thread trying to extort the devs into dropping everything and doing what they want
This discussion has been closed.