Creature Discussion

2»

Comments

• BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    Tierax wrote: »
    I like that idea, and they are a deep colour, it makes them harder to spot from a distance in their deeper waters. maybe their primary predator is the bone shark? i would think the sand shark is more an aggressive filter feeder, eats lots of tiny things, but has the jaw and build to be territorial

Seriously? with a jaw like that and all those teeth they are an ambush predator, definitely not a filter feeder...
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I like how smart Stalkers are.
    Like Dolphins but also jerks
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited August 2015
    Some things I noticed about creature interaction in the current state

-Leviathans do indeed attack reefbacks but they don't seem to die, just ragdoll for a little and then stabilize eventually. Still make noises.
    -Leviathans also attack other predators, stalkers bone sharks etc...and they tend to stay dead. I don't notice the latter retaliate.

I'd like for this to expand and built on in the future because it was very cool even if rough atm. I think creature interaction will be a big part of the immersion for this game.
  • TieraxTierax aus Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206401Members
    BIPPITY wrote: »

Seriously? with a jaw like that and all those teeth they are an ambush predator, definitely not a filter feeder...

Seriously, like, it's there for display and defense, maybe filter feeder is the wrong choice of words more like they hunt small fish like spade fish? but, more bark then bite if you know what i mean?
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    The problem with thinking the boneshark is the primary predator of spadefish is in the mouth position on the shark, and in the behavior of the spade fish itself. As we've previously noted and dusk/night spadefish lay flat on the bottom of the ocean. What this implies is that the spadefish' primary predator is nocturnal. Bonesharks seem more 'all times' to me, meaning that the day time swimming pattern of the spade fish doesn't logically fit if the bone shark is it's primary predator. Additionally, since Spadefish stay fairly low to the sea floor, if they were the primary food source for the bone shark, the bone shark would have a mouth more similar to a hammerhead shark, meaning on the 'underside' of it's body, instead of one more akin to a great white. It might not seem like a huge thing, but look at the hunting habits of both, hammerheads stay close to the bottom and 'scoop' fish out of the sand when they sense them, great whites breach and catch seals, primarily.

Between the shape of the bone shark, how high up it swims and such, I think the most logical thing to hypothosize is that it's primary prey haven't been added in yet and stay up on the surface of the water. Perhaps Bone sharks eat the 'strider' or the bird like creatures that have been hinted at.
    oh whoops, didn't mean to come across like that, i meant spadefish are the prey of sandsharks, bonesharks i imagine to be opportunistic hunters.
    Tierax wrote: »
    oh whoops, didn't mean to come across like that, i meant spadefish are the prey of sandsharks, bonesharks i imagine to be opportunistic hunters.

Ah, yeah, that makes more sense, the sand shark seems to only burrow during the day, and with their bioluminescence the spadefish has an evolutionary advantage at staying alive during the night
    I do wonder where the new creatures being added would fit in the foodchain, like, sea emperors would have to eat reef backs right? judging from their incredible size they'd have to, or maybe they are like whales in that regard.

Male dolphins form gang pods and will drag things into special caves they use for repeated rape, dolphins are jerks.

That aside, glad I'm not the only one to pick up on the Stalker's intelligence. Perhaps in the future we could tame/train them to help out.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited August 2015
    Britemac wrote: »

Male dolphins form gang pods and will drag things into special caves they use for repeated rape, dolphins are jerks.

That aside, glad I'm not the only one to pick up on the Stalker's intelligence. Perhaps in the future we could tame/train them to help out.

I mean we can sorta train them now, kinda.

On an unrelated note, I'd like for more, BIG creatures to be milling about doing dickall

Had an idea for creature called a "Ghost Whale"
    Basically a whale, with a transparent belly and organs, like a giant jellyfish.
    And it would glow, of course.

I mean we can sorta train them now, kinda.

On an unrelated note, I'd like for more, BIG creatures to be milling about doing dickall

Had an idea for creature called a "Ghost Whale"
    Basically a whale, with a transparent belly and organs, like a giant jellyfish.
    And it would glow, of course.

This thread is mostly for discussion of traits/behaviors/characteristics of creatures in game, not to post your 'creature ideas'
    This thread is mostly for discussion of traits/behaviors/characteristics of creatures in game, not to post your 'creature ideas'

Oh my bad I thought this was in Ideas/Suggestions.

On topic, though, It would be useful should we be able to harvest meat from larger creatures. Say you kill a stalker, you can carve off some stalker filets, take em back to your base and cook em/cure em.

Eating larger creatures could also confer like a tiny bonus, similar to a DNA transfusion.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I wonder about the bone sharks armor. It seems like it must be defending against something, but what? Reapers? They seem to large and powerful to be deterred by it, and they have no problem destroying the seamoth. Perhaps they engage in some sort of dominance battles with each other? But they don't seem to be social, nor do they appear to be territorial. Perhaps they skirmish with stalkers? Or perhaps it protects them from the spike plants.
    Spike plants, sand sharks, stalkers, other bone sharks.

A hard carapace would also help it survive in deep water as well.
    Spike plants, sand sharks, stalkers, other bone sharks.

A hard carapace would also help it survive in deep water as well.

Not the depth so much, since they presumably don't have airspaces inside them, and thus have nothing to collapse.
    Crustacean carapaces have loads of airspace inside of them. Which is why Lobsters scream when you drop them in boiling water.
    not alot of deep dwelling creatures avutally have hard carapaces in real life, so im willing to avoid that as the answer for now, no i think their chitinous carapace is a result of their evolution, maybe a hold over or midpoint in their history.

as for territorial, well, they kinda are, if only at the player for now, but i'm willing to bet later down the track we'll observe more behaviours in the creatures.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I wonder about the bone sharks armor. It seems like it must be defending against something, but what? Reapers? They seem to large and powerful to be deterred by it, and they have no problem destroying the seamoth. Perhaps they engage in some sort of dominance battles with each other? But they don't seem to be social, nor do they appear to be territorial. Perhaps they skirmish with stalkers? Or perhaps it protects them from the spike plants.

Actually, if you note it's only on the fins and upper side/jaw regions on the bone shark, meaning something above them preys on them, perhaps bone sharks are the primary food source of the 'Strider' that has concept art, the bone like plates would then work as a form of protection against said striders, while which would be the primary concern for something like a bone shark that lives in the 'mid' range
    There's also the Crabsnake.
    There's also the Crabsnake.

The crab snake would be below the boneshark however, making it's armor plating much less useful
    bone sharks have armor all over their bodies, though

You're thinking of sand sharks
    bone sharks have armor all over their bodies, though

You're thinking of sand sharks

No, I'm not, the under belly of bone sharks is not covered in those armor plates
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/e/ec/Bone_Shark4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150401202046
    see?
    they are absolutely armored on the belly.
    Not as thick as the back armor, but still definitely armored.
    nlu4r5.jpg
    Although having more armor on top could still indicate that the main threat is above them.
    I'd akin that more as a similarity to the belly scales on a snake, they are incredibly soft, not even suitable for use as leather.