Clever ideas and uses for various monsters already in game.

Prince_ErebusPrince_Erebus USA Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204521Members
Creating this discussion form to collect and create possible ideas and uses for various things inside the game, so if certain devs are exploring the forums and see this, they can go, "Oh, that's neat." And possibly make plans to implement it.

While I thought other people were already doing this, it seems most of the people here are just trying to add more monsters. I think that we as a whole should at least wait until they have all their basic draft monsters in the game first, before we try to add more of our own. A new monster can change a lot more in the game than new recipes. (Unless said recipe is there specifically to take out a currently unkillable monster.)

Basically, what I mean by clever is, using things obtained from the current monsters to make unique flexible tools and traps, that aren't specifically futuristic.

(Ideas ahead)

Example: A spike plant being frozen with a stasis rifle, and then immediately pick off their spikes, combine them with some of the creepvine fibers, to make a spiked net to both injure and hold a monster in place, For when the stasis rifle inevitably gets downgraded. Or ya know, just a normal net to nail into your seamoth or other possible future vehicles, so you can catch fish as you explore. (And possibly lure monsters to give chase, depending on your location.)

Another one would be to take the snake shrooms, and use them to give your base a little more light and color from a distance by planting them nearby. (And depending how smart they make the A.I. in the future, attract monsters and fish into the area.)

And they probably might already have plans for the mohawk plant if we can already break it with a knife, but if not, they could probably be used to make a neat kind of bio-lumenscent patch work, using its hairs. Like making your Seamoth glow and light up the surrounding area if you're in a really dark place, and need to get out and pick items up. (Again, would probably be like a beacon to the wild life.)

And for current monsters that don't drop anything, like maybe the fart seals (Gasopod) tails able to be chopped off, and then manufactured into some kind of anti chase mechanism on the Seamoth. (Or, again, other future vehicles)

And Jumpers, I could easily see them used as some sort of grippers for, again, vehicles. Just send a shock wave into it, and it grabs as hard as it can out of reflex. Useful for picking up objects and carrying them to new locations. (This could be a bit much, the fear of having to jump out of the seamoth is always fun. Maybe it is balanced out by only being able to pick up one thing at a time?)

And aquariums of various sizes. (Glass that gets placed to contain certain fish. Not clever, but cool, and could be used to experiment on monster behavior.... And/or find glitches.)

(Last idea) Bleeders could also be used to suck out venom if any monsters that have it are implemented, and you have them collected in said aquarium somehow.

(Ideas gone)

Considering how many plant and animals there are in this game, I barely scratched the surface of all the things that can possibly be done. I look forward to reading other possible ideas from the rest of you if you have any.

Floaters, Warpers, cave crawlers, spike trap, shocker, and cave crawlers all come to mind for finding good uses for. Let's have fun with ideas. :sunglasses:

Comments

• Prince_ErebusPrince_Erebus USA Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204521Members
    Lots of fun ideas here. I particularly like the idea of using Bleeders to suck out venom if you are poisoned.

Thanks, I was kind of hoping to get more people putting in more item and mob use ideas though. Sad how barren this post is.
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members
    well im keen mate,

try floaters and weed combined to make holding pens, catch fish or even a seeker if your good to keep alive to farm fish for eating would then need a supply of their food or pen surrounding say acid shrooms to feed off to keep alive, catch a seeker and feed him fish and metal to harvest teeth.

electric prod- shock eel and pipe, to subdue/ knockout preditors/ bleeders to catch for the above

diving bell- titanium, weed, floating pod, dropped at certain spots to regain breath for little longer scouting periods. or attached to say a boat or cyclops as an upgrade to get deeper down without having to bail constantly maybe holding 5 full air replenishments. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2240891/#Comment_2240891

bow gun- pipe, spikes from a spike plant, acid shroom. bow gun to stun/subdue the little expoding fish i hate so much/ or muti ammo so swap acid shroom with explosive stuff from those exploding fish for more of a kill shot against preditors.

-dive reel should retract pulling you back to anchor spot and ammo say anchor swim in distance anchor forming a temp/perm line a-b hooking onto these speed movement having loads so you can lay one line then another and so on to get into and deeper inside caves

-lava lava to insta cook fish without going back to pod or ship, drag and drop motion in inventory to form action

- terra forming machine as in link above god knows what to use as base materials

edited May 2015
    well im keen mate,

try floaters and weed combined to make holding pens, catch fish or even a seeker if your good to keep alive to farm fish for eating would then need a supply of their food or pen surrounding say acid shrooms to feed off to keep alive, catch a seeker and feed him fish and metal to harvest teeth.

electric prod- shock eel and pipe, to subdue/ knockout preditors/ bleeders to catch for the above

diving bell- titanium, weed, floating pod, dropped at certain spots to regain breath for little longer scouting periods. or attached to say a boat or cyclops as an upgrade to get deeper down without having to bail constantly maybe holding 5 full air replenishments. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2240891/#Comment_2240891

bow gun- pipe, spikes from a spike plant, acid shroom. bow gun to stun/subdue the little expoding fish i hate so much/ or muti ammo so swap acid shroom with explosive stuff from those exploding fish for more of a kill shot against preditors.

-dive reel should retract pulling you back to anchor spot and ammo say anchor swim in distance anchor forming a temp/perm line a-b hooking onto these speed movement having loads so you can lay one line then another and so on to get into and deeper inside caves

-lava lava to insta cook fish without going back to pod or ship, drag and drop motion in inventory to form action

- terra forming machine as in link above god knows what to use as base materials

floaters and creepvine you mean? I could see that, but wouldn't this just float to the top of the ocean realistically? I don't think it can be used to catch fish, but I do think it could easily be used as a live food storage. If food ever get an update where it can rot, it would be a great idea. (But so would an aquarium, the only difference is that this idea is cheaper, and more portable.) The vines themselves seem like they could float, maybe if you had some sort of weight on it? OH! What if there's a net above the trap to catch the fish, and that displaces the weight when it catches a fish, forcing the whole trap to float up with the fish in the net! That would be neat.

The diving bell would be a good idea if the Seamoth had a limited amount of oxygen before it has to resurface, however the cyclops can't go very deep to begin with. (Though I heard they're planning to update it so that it can be upgraded to do just that.)

The electric prod is a cool idea, but the problem is the shocker is pretty huge, plus that a pipe is made out of titanium, which can still conduct electricity. Maybe you would need electric resistant armor to use it? I could see a new item laying around being rubber. After that, maybe instead of taking the whole eel, you could just take the spurs that have electricity arching through them? Maybe they're like Tesla coils, and take a single electrical current, and amplify it repeatedly. After you kill the shocker, you take its spurs instead of the whole fish, and add it to the pipe. Find another live shocker, swat it with the pipe, and violla, stunning prod.

the dive reel pulling you back is kind of neat, but the problem is that it would need something mechanical pulling you back. Maybe if it was directly attatched to a submarine? That would create an excuse not to take the seamoth into a cave system, plus it would make it so you would still have the fear of running into an aggressive sea creature, as well as an escape. As for placing one line after another, I believe that wouldn't need to be done if the line simply wrapped around the walls instead of going through them. Which, again, I believe they will probably do that some time in the future.

The blow* gun is a neat idea, and I could see it easily doable in the terms of technology the diver is already using. However, I don't think it makes sense that the acid shrooms are explosive. They ARE acidic though, so they could be a damage over time kind of deal. (By the way, if you want to clear out an explosive fish, just tame a stalker, and then throw some metal to where the explosive fish are. They get pelted by the explosive fish, making it perfectly fine for you to go and kill their source.)

Using lava to cook fish is a neat idea, but I don't think it should be instant drag, drop, and done kind of thing. It should take more time, and be overall less efficient. If you're super deep and far away from your cyclops ship, it would be a good precautionary thing to do, in order to keep yourself from starving. In order to keep the fish from falling into the lava, I could see the titanium being used to make titanium spits. Plus since they're made of titanium, you should be able to just stab them into the rock to cook over lava.

As for the machine that brings materials up from inside the sea floor, I think that's a bit much.

I think it would be better if certain fish were able to "dig" up materials, while others would "Find" them. Say a garry fish was blowing around sand, and had a certain percentage to find certain raw surface materials. They could implement a small shrimp-like fish that can bury itself in the sand for the motive of the larger smallfry fish to do this. If they want to complete an eco-system in their world, even the small fish have to eat something. The shrimp-like fish are so small, that they could survive off of the nearly microscopic plant matter that every ocean has. The peeper would probably have hawk like vision, and tell you the location of the.... I'm just gonna call the shrimp fish Krimp. The Krimp would be spotted by the peeper, and it would zero in on them, some would be eaten, but some would get away into the sand, and bury themselves.

Then all you have to do is wait for a fish with keen other senses, like the garry fish, to dig them up, and find new materials.

Why doesn't the player find these materials just digging himself? Maybe the krimp displace the sand with their massive number digging, and bring the denser materials up for other fish to expose. If the player were to dig in a place krimp hide themselves, he could find a random raw surface material as well. I think this all sounds pretty good, right?

And to make it better, if the player comes up with a way to catch these little things, or corral them, they could be used as bait for the small fish as well.

I'm loving these ideas you threw out.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I particularly like the ideas that involve Subnautica's life forms interacting with their environment and other species.

The sea is an extremely busy place, and the reality is far removed from the 'Silent World', as touted by early (1950s) undersea explorers.

The idea of certain creatures burrowing under sand and exposing new resource nodules is a clever way of solving resource re-spawning without breaking the game's internal logic, and would greatly benefit players who intend to take the long-haul approach to the game. The addition of ecological & biological research, creature domestication and DNA manipulation would also open up an entirely new level of gameplay for anyone interested in these areas of exploration.

I'm all for it. :)

Bugzapper wrote: »
    I particularly like the ideas that involve Subnautica's life forms interacting with their environment and other species.

The sea is an extremely busy place, and the reality is far removed from the 'Silent World', as touted by early (1950s) undersea explorers.

The idea of certain creatures burrowing under sand and exposing new resource nodules is a clever way of solving resource re-spawning without breaking the game's internal logic, and would greatly benefit players who intend to take the long-haul approach to the game. The addition of ecological & biological research, creature domestication and DNA manipulation would also open up an entirely new level of gameplay for anyone interested in these areas of exploration.

I'm all for it. :)

Thanks, so far the praised ideas are the bleeders sucking out venom, and the displacement of sand from krimp digging exposing materials if dug.

Right now it's really late for me, (4 in the morning) so I can't pop out any more ideas, but i'm glad at least one person threw in some ideas, and that the post all together got some nice feedback.
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members
    @Prince_Erebus
    holding pen- floaters and creep vine yes i meant that not to catch fish (you gotta do that and put them in it) just to keep them and keep alive so yes floater wanting it sit on surface wouldnt work for peepers as they jump but spade fish and others it could hold, the current is only downfall so need it to anchor. (if they put current in which i think they have cuz my life pod keeps floating away.)

electric prod- liked you idea how to make it sounds fun but going to extremes to say titanium will electrocute you (conducting) hence now Armour or you trusty already owned rubber wet suit are needed to stop serg, thats like saying lithium battery ingredients need to be lithium and copper not copper and acid shrooms after all they are called lithium battery not old crap ones

dive reel- yes the contraption you hold in game already right click to reel in pulling you back. no mechanical device needed it there. as for anchors it what is used in australian cave diving and all over the world they run lines to pull them through when returning to push deeper though the caves saving oxygen. really this only needed if devs make map with major cave tunnel systems throughout the map. going in at the shallows emerging hours later in the mushroom forest. set lines and then you got an easy way back and forth.

Terra former- when in caves (if you have this) taking material from above you creates an air bubble to replenish oxygen as you replenish water rises.

blow gun- acid shrooms for a paralysation not explosive, i meant the stuff you get in caves from the exploding fish. i use terraformer to cover em just gone easy

lava larvae- not the lava itself the lave larvae its in fauna section not in game yet. and why go to time to cook when nothing else is just bam done. its as hot as lava itll cook it no time.

machine to re spawn minerals was just an idea we are a being for space that came to colonise world for population after all. (intro story not mine) so to survive, find food resourses, and build a basic platform for life to live. we are kinda 90% mission complete even if our ship blew up. after all 3 choices remain for this character to live forever alone and enjoy the planet and it nature or to send his signal out to his kind to come in or build a ship to atempt an escape back to his home.

@Prince_Erebus
    holding pen- floaters and creep vine yes i meant that not to catch fish (you gotta do that and put them in it) just to keep them and keep alive so yes floater wanting it sit on surface wouldnt work for peepers as they jump but spade fish and others it could hold, the current is only downfall so need it to anchor. (if they put current in which i think they have cuz my life pod keeps floating away.)

electric prod- liked you idea how to make it sounds fun but going to extremes to say titanium will electrocute you (conducting) hence now Armour or you trusty already owned rubber wet suit are needed to stop serg, thats like saying lithium battery ingredients need to be lithium and copper not copper and acid shrooms after all they are called lithium battery not old crap ones

dive reel- yes the contraption you hold in game already right click to reel in pulling you back. no mechanical device needed it there. as for anchors it what is used in australian cave diving and all over the world they run lines to pull them through when returning to push deeper though the caves saving oxygen. really this only needed if devs make map with major cave tunnel systems throughout the map. going in at the shallows emerging hours later in the mushroom forest. set lines and then you got an easy way back and forth.

Terra former- when in caves (if you have this) taking material from above you creates an air bubble to replenish oxygen as you replenish water rises.

blow gun- acid shrooms for a paralysation not explosive, i meant the stuff you get in caves from the exploding fish. i use terraformer to cover em just gone easy

lava larvae- not the lava itself the lave larvae its in fauna section not in game yet. and why go to time to cook when nothing else is just bam done. its as hot as lava itll cook it no time.

machine to re spawn minerals was just an idea we are a being for space that came to colonise world for population after all. (intro story not mine) so to survive, find food resourses, and build a basic platform for life to live. we are kinda 90% mission complete even if our ship blew up. after all 3 choices remain for this character to live forever alone and enjoy the planet and it nature or to send his signal out to his kind to come in or build a ship to atempt an escape back to his home.

Electric Prod = Titanium conducts electricity man, though looking it up, it doesn't conduct much. With what what you said, you're right, the player IS wearing a rubber suit, why not rubber gloves too? Wouldn't be surprised if he just so happened to have them just to hold the prod. All he would need are the rubber gloves and he'd be fine. As for the lithium battery argument, that's already in place, and there's no use knit picking it, but this isn't, therefore, we should make sure logic is in there before hand.

Blow gun = How.... Would you blow gun a fat fish bigger than the weapon? Especially one that's set to a timer to explode?? Even if it's frozen in stasis, it still explodes. As for the acid shrooms, acid is not a type of venom or toxin, it's a corrosive element. The acid shrooms would be a suitable ranged weapons for taking out the armored shell of any shelled creatures, or just doing straight damage.

Lava larvae = The larvae should take even more time to cook BECAUSE it's heat resistant. There are fish in real life that live next to a volcanic spout over 500 degrees Fahrenheit, ever try to cook one of those? Good luck. And the reason you would want to cook them that way even though everything else is instant is because you'd want to always have a source of food. Say your 1000 meters deep, far away from any base or cyclops, and you want to explore more, but are already starving by the time you get there. Boom, food on the go. Basically gives more time for you to explore. Again, this is a better idea if rotting food is ever implemented.

Terra former = That is an idea I like, but I feel like just destroying the space shouldn't create oxygen, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't that just create a small vacuum that sucks up water into it, because it's literally creating in area of space. It would be better if you could carry down oxygen somehow, like in an empty bottle.... Heh, pollution. Plus, you would never need to return to the base for reasons other than food if this were the case. Which would be bad game design.

Dive Reel = That was a little bit harder to understand, but I think I got it, basically you're saying that there are already dive reels that pull you back on their own, and that the one in game, since this is the future, should do the same. Alright, yea, I can see that being the case. As for leaving a line to mark your place.... Which i'm not sure is what you're saying by the way, i'm pretty sure an easy solution would be the ability to carve signs onto the walls.

As for the game "Endings" I think that the aurora should be repairable, at least to the point it can be made into simply a large base of operations. I sure as hell don't think the diver should ever be capable of completely repairing it to the point of space flight, or even movement for that matter, but that's about it.

Anything I miss?
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I think your idea, of how the current life forms could be used for crafting or for components, or for cures (like the bleeders) is excellent.
    It goes a bit in the same direction as my suggestion about the ecology of the planet and the science.
    Analyzing each life form (both fauna and flora) to various degrees and scientific instruments (maybe a portable analyzer that throws a dart with some telemetry readings, and a full blown lab building or base module for deeper analysis) one could discover various uses of each lifeform.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    Harpoon/Dart Pistol (Suggestion)
    ↑↑That kind of fits in this thread, too. The dart pistol could use some parts of existing creatures as ammo (spike plant spikes, acid mushroom -> acid ammo). Though I don't think it should be made that lethal. The main use for the gun would be to shoot tracking darts on animals.
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    Harpoon/Dart Pistol (Suggestion)
    ↑↑That kind of fits in this thread, too. The dart pistol could use some parts of existing creatures as ammo (spike plant spikes, acid mushroom -> acid ammo). Though I don't think it should be made that lethal. The main use for the gun would be to shoot tracking darts on animals.

I understand that you don't want a tool that is a pure weapon, (After reading the thread), but I was thinking that the dart gun and acid tipped darts should be used against small fry fish, or acid against the shelled fish (Like the cave crawlers).

I don't think it should do enough damage to subdue anything bigger than your chest area. The only thing that should be capable of killing the larger fish in the sea is you pulling a rambo with a knife, or other fish of the sea. (I'd like to point out again, that if you want to kill a stalker, throwing metal into a crash infested area will do it.)
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    @Prince_Erebus Yeah, I'm okay if the dart gun could kill some small creatures like the food fish, but not more. You could use darts on all sharks to keep them away from you without actually hurting them.
    yea i thought dart gun just by adding things together i dont want ridiculous killing machines to wipe everything out just stun or paralyse but yea acid shrooms = acid good point.

aurora what about salavagable like pull it down half is already gone it got nuclear reactors so maybe just more stuff to collect from it and being able to break it down to scrap etc.
    I just hate the idea of there being no point to killing monsters in game other then to keep them off you. I mean, it's challenging to kill some of these things early game, at least until you get the seamoth and can ram them to death.
  • TieraxTierax aus Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206401Members
    I'm liking the darts idea, it's a pain in the butt to catch peepers and really, a little easing of that situation would be cool.
    that said, more ways to interact with the creatures would be cool, like, making nets to capture them, or even planting down plants etc and generally encouraging migration of critters.
  • IchthyocentaurIchthyocentaur England Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203904Members
    Some sort of cheap harpoon gun for easier fishing using some titanium, rope made from reeds, and some copper. But the tradeoff is the blood might attract some predators from miles away.
    I was thinking of having armored Hull plates be made from cave crawler shells, and for base durability to have a serious legitimate use. It would be nice if the predators of the sea actively try to hunt down your base. Maybe bait buildings with certain types of meats on the side. If they were to input a death drop for these predator creatures, even if you had to go full monster hunter and carve it out of them, it would make it more worth it to build a bait base and put yourself in danger.

Heck, just have predators drop something even more worth while than peeper meat. It would also solve the problem of their bodies floating in the ocean for eternity, that is the whole carve out their resources until they disappear.

I could even see some extra advanced bases in the long terms of Subnautica, like a Reaper bait base, that uses actual predator meat like sea sharks and stalkers and such. What would be the point of attracting one of the most dangerous fish in the sea? I don't know, probably end game materials. Radiated flesh sounds like a cool resource that could drop from a Reaper. I don't think the Reaper Leviathan is supposed to be kill-able though, so maybe just use the diamond knife to cut off bits of its flesh to use as a sort of mega fuel for long term powering?

A ship that runs on Reaper flesh sounds pretty freaking cool to me. It also sounds like something that should run around at depths of 3000 or more, in order to find the next big fish known as the Sea Emperor.... Eh? Eh? Cool right? I'd dub it The Dragon personally, because I assume it being made of or fueled by radiated bio material would make it glow as if it were leaving behind flames. Plus it fits with the first large submarine called the cyclops. (Not to mention the Sea Dragon Emperor that's apparently a newly revealed future implement, make it sound as if it's name was pulled directly from the name of that creature.)

Man, imagine, if you had a submarine big enough to hold the Cyclops like the Cyclops holds the SeaMoth. Amazing.... Especially if the Sea Emperor was STILL bigger.

Anyway, i'm getting off topic, as I was saying, with the new additions in the experimental mode, having bait bases sounds even cooler, the idea of having the ability to have every kind of predator swimming around your observatory. Like I said, they should probably go out of their way to try and attack the base, giving you a "Man in a shark cage" kind of feel, but if you have enough fortifications on the base, they should take a very long time to do enough damage to start to flood the place. I'm sure people could think of a few ways to keep their base from flooding, but for new ideas themselves, my first thought was a type of mini repair drones that auto wield specific areas for you.

If you're gonna automatically bring beasts to the base, you need to have a way to automatically defend yourself.

This would also add a unique taste to the gameplay because of the high risk high rewards effect. It would get boring if all you did was hide in a base or submarine all day, with no risk to yourself aside from resource runs in the safety of a seamoth. That reminds me, I don't think you should be able to repair the SeaMoth so easily. With how easy it is to use a SeaMoth aggressively, you can just straight eliminate any predator fish that happen to get in your way by ramming them to death, and then repairing the damage done. That's no fun. That's too easy. I feel like repairing the SeaMoth should have some form of loss.

Maybe you have to use up titanium along with the wielder to repair the Seamoth. If you were willing to do it, I think area damage could also play an affect on what resource you use, say if you get damage on the front sides of your seamoth, the lights can take damage, and force you to use a certain resource to fix its lights. Probably blue barnacle, maybe. The cyclops is fine however, simply because of how difficult it is to kill something due to how slow the submarine itself is.

Of course, this knit pick might belong in a balancing thread. Still, ideas are ideas.

Any points anyone feels like adding?
  • SudokuRobberSudokuRobber UK Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206325Members
    This is all great thinking and innovation and development as players that means the world to the game developers. It shows the potential for Subnautica to become HUGE. And hugely entertaining!!! :)

Great stuff.
  • meeeeep7meeeeep7 United States Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204531Members
    Crashes as weapons. That is all.
    re-reading the entries, baiting and luring big monsters sounds fun, i keep thinking like, a whale enclosure at like, seaworld, but with a reaper in it. that would be sweet, my own pet reaper.
    Heck, i'd love to have docile versions of every fish in subnautica if only for decoration.
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    Ability to make knives out of the appendages on Reaper Leviathan heads, or spears
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    BIPPITY wrote: »
    Ability to make knives out of the appendages on Reaper Leviathan heads, or spears

So....you want more weapons....gotcha....
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited July 2015
    I want better more interactive AI. I know its early alpha but a lot of the predators right now are essentially area denial sentries, they don't hunt or just lunge at small fish, don't sleep/interact with day/night noticeably if at all, and limited interaction with other species and the player. Stalkers and Sand sharks have some interesting quirks but it's not much, and they are IMO too easy to dodge and kill. At least I feel they should be faster and more fluid. Aside from stalkers picking up metals and sand sharks burrowing there isn't much difference between the three "sharks". At night they could have stalkers hunt in packs and kill those fat manatee things and would actually give me pause if I ran into one instead of just ignoring it like I usally do.

Hopefully we'll get materials we can use from them(not for weapons or killing them, don't have an aneurysm, even thought I do that all the time already with knife+stasis) or capture them for science.

I'd also like the big monsters like the leviathan to move around more and actively move around certain biomes at certain times like night to hunt/ and sleep during the day for specific areas like deep oceans. Like during the day they stick to only the deep or further biomes and less active but during the night move closer to possibly as close as the red grass plains(but not always, keep a random factor to keep you on your toes).Rather than having spawned in two specific locations and do nothing but herp derp in circles. Also have them possibly deal damge to bases.

This game is fun and by next year I think it could be one of the top survival games on steam.
    well just a spear, because chasing peepers around is so annoying... just a knife with longer range.
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    BIPPITY wrote: »
    well just a spear, because chasing peepers around is so annoying... just a knife with longer range.

Stasis Rifle is love, Stasis Rifle is life
    I have to agree with you there now brite, been playing hardcore for a while now and well, the stasis gun is just the biggest life saver both in escaping and hunting.
    I want better more interactive AI. I know its early alpha but a lot of the predators right now are essentially area denial sentries, they don't hunt or just lunge at small fish, don't sleep/interact with day/night noticeably if at all, and limited interaction with other species and the player. Stalkers and Sand sharks have some interesting quirks but it's not much, and they are IMO too easy to dodge and kill. At least I feel they should be faster and more fluid. Aside from stalkers picking up metals and sand sharks burrowing there isn't much difference between the three "sharks". At night they could have stalkers hunt in packs and kill those fat manatee things and would actually give me pause if I ran into one instead of just ignoring it like I usually do. I'm also secretly the tooth fairy.

Hopefully we'll get materials we can use from them(not for weapons or killing them, don't have an aneurysm, even thought I do that all the time already with knife+stasis) or capture them for science.

I'd also like the big monsters like the leviathan to move around more and actively move around certain biomes at certain times like night to hunt/ and sleep during the day for specific areas like deep oceans. Like during the day they stick to only the deep or further biomes and less active but during the night move closer to possibly as close as the red grass plains(but not always, keep a random factor to keep you on your toes).Rather than having spawned in two specific locations and do nothing but herp derp in circles. Also have them possibly deal damge to bases.

This game is fun and by next year I think it could be one of the top survival games on steam.

To be fair, the Stalker itself DOES chase and eat peepers, so there is some interactions between the species. I definitely feel you when you say the Stalkers should be pack animals though. Their thin, predator like make up, and high speed and lack of turning ability makes hunting in packs seem like a thing they would do. If the A.I. could improve more so they work together in some way, that would make this game difficult, and more fun. I could easily see it in a difficulty upgrade of some sort.

I don't think that there should be more weapons, after all, being able to freeze something in place and stab it to death is already strong enough to take down even the Reaper if you were patient enough. It would even justify a difficulty spike in the fish's A.I.

I could see the Stalkers foraging out at night for meat of some kind, but the sand sharks seem like they would benefit more from the deeper part of the ocean, so they would probably stay there, maybe even try and eat or attack the stalkers that leave their habitat. Bone sharks, however, seem to not only be a very active type of animal, and one I could easily see skulking around EVERY biome, but also their eyes lead me to believe they have a form of night vision to help them hunt in the dark, making them night time active predators a lot more plausible.

I could see Bone sharks constantly hunting Stalkers actively, and Sand Sharks hunting only when it's opportune, like if they were swimming nearby.

If a Stalker attacking the player realized a Bone Shark was targeting it, then naturally the natural feeling of trying to survive that is universal no matter where you go, would make the stalker disengage and try to flee. You, the player, being a foreign meal, the bone shark would likely choose the fleeing stalker over you on the basis that it knows the kinks of the stalker, and has likely eaten one before. This would balance the difficulty of having night predators, as well as rewarding aggressive play styles such as swimming towards another predator.

Sand sharks and Bone sharks seem like they would choose to avoid each other, thinking of the thick scale armor of the bone shark in relation to the small, but strong teeth of the sand shark, I assume they would both take damage from a fight in more than the average situations. I could see them both competing and getting in each others way when hunting down a meal however.

Either way, the A.I. definitely should get better when the time comes, but it will come when it comes.
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited July 2015
    I want better more interactive AI. I know its early alpha but a lot of the predators right now are essentially area denial sentries, they don't hunt or just lunge at small fish, don't sleep/interact with day/night noticeably if at all, and limited interaction with other species and the player. Stalkers and Sand sharks have some interesting quirks but it's not much, and they are IMO too easy to dodge and kill. At least I feel they should be faster and more fluid. Aside from stalkers picking up metals and sand sharks burrowing there isn't much difference between the three "sharks". At night they could have stalkers hunt in packs and kill those fat manatee things and would actually give me pause if I ran into one instead of just ignoring it like I usually do. I'm also secretly the tooth fairy.

I don't think that there should be more weapons, after all, being able to freeze something in place and stab it to death is already strong enough to take down even the Reaper if you were patient enough. It would even justify a difficulty spike in the fish's A.I.

I don't necessarily want more weapons since I'm fine with more strategic options to repel them just to clarify, I was talking about building materials harvested from them to build new tech items so they can work more content into the game.

But on a tangent here, I don't view the knife+stasis combo being "enough" to justify the exclusion of weapons but as more of a problem. Their mechanics need to be fleshed out more because it's to herp derp right now and in fact it SHOULD NOT be like that. Stasis rifle is too all in one, and you are essentially doing what you would do with a spear gun just in a different form. Which is to the point where their monsters need either more fluid movement+smarter AI or the stasis needs mechanic adjustments so it's not a one tool solve all problem for predators like it is now. For example I don't think it should even work on leviathans, and I'm not against them not entirely freezing mid sized predators or have the knives have limited scale penetrations that as such if they were to add a spear gun their functions wouldn't cannibalize each other and maybe have the stasis gun more utility rather than direct combat and make the game meta more interesting. As of right now I walk out there with my stasis gun I fear nothing and I don't think it should be like that nor probably do unknown worlds if I had to guess.

But whatever I'm spitballing and I don't want to turn this into a weapon thread because regardless of what they add the stasis it so herpy right now IMO regardless of other options and the meta is too shallow. Rest of your post I more or less agree with.

*Also granted this game obviously is still in heavy development so I'm just giving some feedback rather the critiquing this game, as I'm aware they want to expand the AI. Just thinking out loud here and giving some potential idea and balancing suggestions before they start making some new stuff.
    edited July 2015
    maybe with the workbench, they could add paths for the stasis rifle, one for quicker charge on the AOE freeze, or even a bigger charge, and another that is for single targets only?

That way the AOE only works tiny->mid while the targeted freeze can work from tiny->large with maybe a better duration?

also, maybe the AI could "learn" from the stasis gun? say one of them gets frozen a few times aggro'ing on you it realises what that gun does and tries to avoid it or even break pursuit entirely?
    Tierax wrote: »
    maybe with the workbench, they could add paths for the stasis rifle, one for quicker charge on the AOE freeze, or even a bigger charge, and another that is for single targets only?

That way the AOE only works tiny->mid while the targeted freeze can work from tiny->large with maybe a better duration?

also, maybe the AI could "learn" from the stasis gun? say one of them gets frozen a few times aggro'ing on you it realises what that gun does and tries to avoid it or even break pursuit entirely?

i think the only intelligent creatures currently are warpers and Sea Emperors, everything else seems pretty dumb and probably wouldn't have the mental capacity...