Base Electrical Defense-- like in the movie Sphere

claverflavclaverflav utah Join Date: 2015-06-27 Member: 205810Members
Imagine a situation in which you are in your base it comes underattack from some massive creature....

now if you havent seen the movie Sphere go check it out. theres a lot of scenes in there that would be awesome if we could experience them in this game.

in the movie the base comes under attack from a massive squid, and the crew ends up using power to electrify the surface of the base structure and shocking the squid to make it leave... with one prob, every time they did it they would also causes electrical fires somewhere in the base.

(--i think this could add some interesting spice to the game, now obviously you wouldnt want this to happen all the time so maybe it only happens if you build a base in certain biome or something.--)

this could be interesting in the sense that you would need
  • Power, probably in the form of powercells in some sort of new placeable module in your seabase
  • a triggerable button or lever on said new placeable module, that players must trigger within a few seconds of before/being attacked.
  • possibly cause leaks instead of fires
  • or add fire and a fire extinguisher in to the game (that might be a big request)
  • definitely some sort of alarm or siren or flashing lights should happen when base is attacked.
  • some different alarm when a fire has broken out in the base.
  • the movie had a tense ping system that indicated the creature was closing in, and then finally leaving after the electrocution.

any thoughts?

Comments

• KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    edited June 2015
    A fire extinguisher is already in the making ;)
    I think i read something somewhere that bonesharks will attack bases and you need to build spotlights to keep them away.
    Also, look at this squid :)
    https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55812ebb9a4b7aff571fe5f1/2218x2352/1ff5b8f0985d4f1cf50c0620acf50b25/Crab_Squid_in_game.jpg

I like the idea of some creatures attacking bases. I dont know if i like the thing with a button or lever and electrocution. Think it would annoy me pressing some button repeatedly. I would feel like Seabases were a giant-creature-defense simulator (even if it only happend in specific biomes). It requires too much attention and draws the attention away from other aspectsof the game.
    And what would happen if im not at my seabase? Would it be flooded when i return after a few days or would they only attack when im there?
    Also it would feel weird when the base only has a few holes from this massive hostile creature even if i dont defend. On the other hand the destruction of base components would be too extreme.

Thats why i like it better when smaller creatures (at least not massive ones) attack the base, but leave after a few attacks, and having some sort of passive defense.
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    Sphere? Come on, you can do better than that. Freaking 2000 Leagues Under the Sea.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    As much as it would be interesting to have creatures attack the base, I would rather it be a rare or controllable thing. The only reason I can think of to not have creatures attack when I'm away from the base would be that under power the base sounds 'charming' to undersea critters. But I really don't want to have to power up and down the base as I come and go.

As cool as the concept would be, there needs to be both a reason for the critters to attack and a way to avoid it. Either by learning safe spots to build OR by building defenses.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    These kind of suggestions bring more emphasis on the fact that sometimes the dev's commented (can't remember where I heard it) that in the future you wouldn't be able to build a base just anywhere like currently.

Not only depths are going to affect bases in future builds but also some places will be safer than others.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Animals on Earth don't attack submerged habitats - they sometimes however attack vessels (only moving objects). The threat should be more passive like biofouling. It doesn't make any sense to have the player's base attacked, sorry it just doesn't.

Regardless, there still is a need to keep vicious creatures away so you don't get jumped entering/exiting the base.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    Animals on Earth don't attack submerged habitats - they sometimes however attack vessels (only moving objects). The threat should be more passive like biofouling. It doesn't make any sense to have the player's base attacked, sorry it just doesn't.

Regardless, there still is a need to keep vicious creatures away so you don't get jumped entering/exiting the base.

There is the topic about farms of seafood and even keeping fish inside the bases in aquariums.

How about some fauna's wanting to get them so they attack your base in order to steal food from you? Stalkers also like biting chunks of metal so why wouldn't they do so too with the bases?
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    ArkStrike wrote: »

There is the topic about farms of seafood and even keeping fish inside the bases in aquariums.

How about some fauna's wanting to get them so they attack your base in order to steal food from you? Stalkers also like biting chunks of metal so why wouldn't they do so too with the bases?

Sharks have been known to bite metal objects under water, but there have never been any instance of them biting submersibles, submerged habitats, or ROVs. Unless the fish farms are open to the environment, and are not part of the base superstructure, I don't see why even stalkers would pose even a minute threat to the player. Their attempts to get through netting or steel bars would be futile. Any larger creature would be uninterested in the small fish the player is farming.

Stalkers probably use electroreception to hunt, so having fish behind obstructions would deter them. Also, sharks have been known to "bump hulls" of ships. Of course, said hulls are primarily fiberglass and not metal. It is believed large metallic objects actually scare away, or are uninteresting to many sea creatures. However, small (not large or huge) metallic objects can spark interest; especially reflective objects.
    edited June 2015
    I'm not against base defenses. I just think there needs to be a reasonable justification for them.

Here are some plausible reasons:
    • Base defenses enable the player to maintain a safety perimeter, so that they can tend to energy generators and other utilities without be accosted by hostile creatures.
    • The sonic signature of base machinery might be a source of interest for dangerous creatures.
    • If the player is being chased by a hostile creature, they can take shelter in their base knowing the defenses will scare away the creature and allow the player to leave without threat of ambush.
    • If biofouling is even implemented, base defenses might prevent encroachment of unwanted refuse and growth of pest barnacles.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members

That isn't a very fair point for two reasons. One is most habitats built at this point as far as I can find out are only a hundred meters down at most and it seems were all built later to early 60's to 70's. The second problem comes from the simple fact that these are alien environments, Earth doesn't have 'floaters' either holding up large chunks of land. Alien fauna could be attracted to the base as it sounds 'sexy' to it due to the sounds it puts out underwater. Or that giant 'crab squid' might think that this base looks nice to build into a nest.

This being a game that is more loose with reality and biology for the sake of being fun...there are plenty of reasons that the base could be attacked. But my point still stands, you need a reasonable reason for the attack and a way to discourage or avoid it outside of base defenses. Basically, if they don't want to make this a game about killing then a set rule system would need to be built up around the concept. Much like how Reapers can attack a Seamoth/diver but will leave the Cyclops alone...mostly.