Multiplayer: Yea or Nay

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
In light of recent statements made by the developers I think a multiplayer poll is in order.

Ultimately the decision is up to the developers, but that doesn’t mean the community can't put forth a consensus. Understand there are great difficulties involved in implementing multiplayer, but there may be certain benefits. This thread is to neither condemn, nor demand multiplayer/co-op – it is simply to judge the situation.

Comments

• sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    This game will have multiplayer no doubt due to concept art and style. I mean this game was meant to have it from the start. It feels like it will be a multiplayer game. Just my small opinion of course.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    sharvy wrote: »
    This game will have multiplayer no doubt due to concept art and style. I mean this game was meant to have it from the start. It feels like it will be a multiplayer game. Just my small opinion of course.
    Well, there are some members of the dev team that do not want multiplayer, while others do. It really comes down to a question of the constraints, risks, costs and benefits; and not simply because it's a cool feature, or that it fits into the game's feel.

I personally believe that we have not seen enough of the game's development to get a good sense of the situation and I can imagine some of the devs may feel that way too.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    I believe co-op rather than multiplayer would be a gigantic step for Subnautica but it would make things much much better.

I know I want it to be implemented but I really don't know how hard it is going to be for the dev's to do it and certainly I don't want to stretch them thin with stress over it but all I'm certain of is that playing this game alongside someone else WILL make it totally different for me and very enjoyable in a different way than doing things solo.

There are plenty of pros and cons to this, to avoid having to list them all I will just put it like this: In games like Minecraft you can invite others to your maps to do things with you but they can both break havoc with you or against you.

We will see a HUGE change in the way people play the game plus making others not yet into the game to buy it to play with friends with in marketing is a great idea to spark the attention of a different kind of consumer than just the regular solo gamer like myself which is the play with friends type. You can see these in games like League of Legends, Borderlands, Minecraft and Left 4 Dead. It was more appealing to buy 4 copies of the game than just play it by oneself.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    Ever since I first found Subnautica, its grabbed me as a game that would hugely benefit from some coop gameplay. That I just love playing open world exploration games with friends!
  • ConeshotConeshot Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202091Members
    edited June 2015
    In today's social driven world, I think multiplayer is key to success of any new game. Ask yourself "Would Minecraft have been as successful without multiplayer?" I am comparing this game to minecraft only in the context of an early access early alpha release model and not in gameplay as much.
    I would love to share a world and co-op build a base with my wife and kids as well as with my friends. It's fun to be able to have friends over to your base and show off your progress!

*edit clarification: when I made my original post, I had just been awakened by large members of the local wildlife murdering each other just beneath my bedroom window. I didn't notice that ArkStrike had just stated almost the same opinion above! Lol
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    First off, they aren't even done seeing if they can do it at all. There are a lot of problems with trying to implement multiplayer, from the mechanics of play to the technical. I would rather they stood by their original plan and just kept it single player. We get more content and a more polished game, and we don't get yet another 'tacked on' multiplayer experience.
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    sharvy wrote: »
    Well, there are some members of the dev team that do not want multiplayer, while others do. It really comes down to a question of the constraints, risks, costs and benefits; and not simply because it's a cool feature, or that it fits into the game's feel.

I personally believe that we have not seen enough of the game's development to get a good sense of the situation and I can imagine some of the devs may feel that way too.
    Oh I see what you mean sir. You explained it very well and I agree. I wish I could change my answer though
  • dudebrainsdudebrains washington Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205141Members
    Double the reaper killing.
  • KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
    My asshole friend won't buy Subnautica until they implement multiplayer, even though I tell him how great it is.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    KanekiKen wrote: »
    My asshole friend won't buy Subnautica until they implement multiplayer, even though I tell him how great it is.

Sounds like a quite silly person. How many great games would you miss out on if you only waited for multiplayer?
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    dudebrains wrote: »
    Double the reaper killing.

More like double the reaper snacks