My first 2 hours of experience with the game, and what I really want to change.

LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
So yesterday I played Subnautica for the first time! (Yes I have talked in the forums before I even played it heh..)

Well the game was going well I really enjoyed it as I expected but then something happened, after 1 hour and 30 minutes I had: A high capacity airtank, A finished seamoth, a seaglide, a builder, a knife, a welder, the blueprints for: Terraformer, Propulsion Cannon, Stasis Rifle, Workbench and obviously Seamoth. So basically the only thing thats missing is: Exosuit Fragment, Reinforce Hull Fragment...

I DID NOT have: Fins, Radiation Suit, Still Suit, Compass, Thermometer.

Maybe some of you already expect where Im going with this but maybe im the only one to have this opinion. I did not expect to find all the fragments so quickly and I really disliked finding them. I had a seamoth before i had fins.. I had a seamoth before i had a high capacity airtank. I have the ability to build every thing that you can find fragments for yet I dont even have some footwear? And since I found all of this so quickly, I tried doing everything at the same time I got hit in the face with all the stuff I could do and this could seriously be less "in the face" if fragments werent so easy to find or even better, if they are only found in dark caves.. Then you would have to craft a big airtank, pipes, flares and fins before even thinking about all the fragments you could maybe find. The game would slow down by alot and I would really love it that way. Because while all of that happened so fast, I barely had time to look at all the cool stuff, it was hectic, I couldnt relax and enjoy the game and get immersed like I hoped I would. Maybe it was just my luck to find all the fragments so fast? But still even the possability for all of this to happen should not be given. I want to craft fins before getting a seamoth. I want to undergo dangerous explorations in caves in order to find the good stuff, which would be the fragments. I hope you all agree and I hope the developers will make those fragments rarer, so you dont get overwhelmed at the start..

Comments

• SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    edited June 2015
    I tend to agree.... Fragments are currently so over-populated it's kind of ridiculous. I really think there should be a recycling machine to turn already complete research fragments into spare mats..... but yes... Currently there is very little in terms of an in game "this is how you play" tutorial and that /is/ intended by design but, honestly? I do think there needs to be a progression system for the Fabricator.... The game teaches you you need scrap metal and quartz and peeper.... but in the currents builds EVERYTHING is kind of an option from the start. it can be just as confusing.

Maybe it could be that the escape pod fabricator is "learning" as it builds... it already knows you need fins so is demands quartz for silicon... so you make fins. DING! The fabricator realizes it can use the quartz to make glass.... now throw in that scrap metal... DING! fabricator comes up with a way to craft an air tank by combining this metal and using that glass it just thought up....
  • ConeshotConeshot Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202091Members
    I've seen ideas like this posted before and it seems like a good idea. In the beginning the fabricator learns recipes as raw materials are presented to it. As you find more things, the fabricator discovers new applications for materials.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    The fabricator wasnt really the problem though, the problem is just that i found all these fragments when they COULD be a way to already create PROGRESS in this game like "oh i only find fragments for seamoth in caves so i need to first get some basic equipment, seaglide, fins, knife, and airtank, also its dark down there so i need a flashlight aswell, or flares!" And then add some depth damage like "oh i can only go below 300M with my seamoth but the fragments for the real cool stuff like propulsion cannon and stasis rifle and exosuit is way down there, so i gotta get a seamoth first!" and "also the fragments for the terraformer and workbench are in areas with radiation so i gotta get a radiation suit first!" And then there is nothing that you have to do all at once, you can build a base and basic equipment then worry about the other stuff.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I think they just want people to play with everything so they can work on the items development. When/IF the game makes it to a release, there will likely be better pacing. Blizzard does this with a lot of their games that are in Alphas/Betas. They put end game stuff easy to get to so they can do vast testing of it.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Jacara wrote: »
    I think they just want people to play with everything so they can work on the items development. When/IF the game makes it to a release, there will likely be better pacing. Blizzard does this with a lot of their games that are in Alphas/Betas. They put end game stuff easy to get to so they can do vast testing of it.

I hope it is how you say

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Yup, the game wants you to have dat seamoth really hard.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

The devs want feedback on stuff if it's not working right. The game is a bit mushy right now, but that's ok.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    One of the ideas put forth and one I really liked was that so many fragments were needed to make a complete blueprint...which makes sense.

But since this is still the early access version where things are still being developed and put together it would make sense that it doesn't take to long to get up to speed and going. I imagine fragments will be harder to come by in the final game (hope so at least).
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    I think for the moment, it's only for test purposes. It's easy now to get everything because the fragments are so freely available but I'd guess that later, they may be a little harder to find and a lot more scarce.

IMO. Things like the Seamoth fragments should be relatively easy to find since it would be the first form of transport you'd want to build.
    Other than that, I'd say it should be a real bonus to come across fragments for anything else - including the Cyclops which should be available only with fragments and take a very long time to analyse, (I'm talking about a couple of hours to analyse even with 4 fragments and at least 8 hours of game time with just one fragment). It should take a lot of hard work to get the Cyclops which would make you really worried about it being destroyed. While we're still testing it, destroying the Cyclops isn't really an issue as it's easy to build another one.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Odd, my experience was slightly different in that the build I started my new play on seem to have a odd progress path that didn't facilitate testing all of the stuff.

I am on the latest stable build, I started with a knife, copper wire and glass.
    No fragment analyser or the blueprint to the Seamoth, but I had a blueprint for the Cyclops, which is odd.
    To get a Seamoth I was required to build either a base or a Cyclops so I could place a analyser to analyse the Seamoth fragments.

To me this is a contrary build path as one would expect to build a small exploration vessel (Seamoth) to seek out a ideal Base which to power and resource a large exploration vessel (Cyclops).
    Not having access to a Seamoth early limits the range where you can build your base.
    I know I can build a basic foundation / corridor/ power generator to bypass this BASE requirement, its just not a smooth progression in my opinion.

I am a fan of the improvements to the survival aspects (slower hunger / thirst, less salt requirements, easy water access), not too keen on the speed the food degrades (heck the creepvine is rotten before I get it to the fabricator luckily it doesn't effect the medpack), do wish the resources would SLOWLY respawn so you still have to roam but wont farm out regions.
    I do wish the medical box in the pod had some storage capacity so I could put in a few medpacks (and be able to build said box in bases / Cyclops ).
    Would be nice if you could take out power cells, like for example from the pod when you leave to go to your base permanently ... I may leave a partially depleted cell in to power the pods location beacon but otherwise would yank out the others.

... well I could go on and on, but that's all for now, its a huge improvement from the 1st time I played with it (up to when the Cyclops was first introduced), and seems to be going nice and smoothly.
    The only real concern I would say is that once you have visited the various biomes and played with the various 'toys' in the game, there is very little reason to return but I trust more will be introduced once the bones of the game are in place :)
    Good work so far.
  • frizzankfrizzank texas Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205402Members
    My first playthrough I didn't even know about the Seamoth and built the Cyclops first. I thought this was backwards and that you should have to find Cyclops parts before it was unlocked in the fabricator...
    Tryst wrote: »

IMO. Things like the Seamoth fragments should be relatively easy to find since it would be the first form of transport you'd want to build.

I disagree, that should be the seaglide. With how easy the Seamoth is accessible right now, the seaglide is not really needed IMO. So id like the seamoth to be accessible only later. Since the Seamoth is a vehicle with air in it, you dont need an airtank, or pipes, or anything like a rope to find way back out of caves (since seamoth is a beacon in itself ASWELL) Seamoth is just so incredibly overpowered im really confused why everyone wants it to be accessible so early.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    ASnogarD wrote: »
    Odd, my experience was slightly different in that the build I started my new play on seem to have a odd progress path that didn't facilitate testing all of the stuff.

No fragment analyser or the blueprint to the Seamoth, but I had a blueprint for the Cyclops, which is odd.
    To get a Seamoth I was required to build either a base or a Cyclops so I could place a analyser to analyse the Seamoth fragments.

You can place a analyzer in the lifepod.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members
    ASnogarD wrote: »

You can place a analyzer in the lifepod.

Actually, no you can't.