good bye ns2

124»

Comments

• unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    if NS2 felt like a Mini Cooper in any way, shape or form, I wouldn't be playing it (assuming you are referring to a new Mini Cooper, however if that assumption is incorrect and you are in fact referring to the original, I will let it pass)

Shame to lose a player, but if you don't enjoy it anymore, then I guess don't play it.
  • justbob333justbob333 Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183502Members
    bERt0r wrote: »
    You don't get what so many publishers don't get either. If you make a great game, lots of people will buy the sequel. If you hype a game and then disappoint people, they remember that. I would have bought NS2 no matter what. I advertised it to my friends. I can't say the same for NS3.

Example diablo3 what was it 7 million copies sold in the first couple days? that's brand recognition right there. I see the expansion selling far far less.

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Exactly, I bought Diablo 3 because of my love for Diablo 2. I doubt I will be buying another Activision Blizzard game for a while.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    All been said before.

I really must go post on Doom forums to tell them Ive stopped playing. x
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    BentRing wrote: »

...Folks that keep comparing what we have now to NS1 never seem to remember what NS1 was like at early on. We're fond of remembering the later years. Here's a vid Team EU vs Team US game almost a year after release.

This is kinda similar to where we are at now, and I'm fairly sure this isn't what folks think of when they say " NS1 "

Microsoft Word 2013 users don't have to say, "Remember in that old version of MS Word when we used to be able to quickly type up a great document?"

MS keeps enough of the core intact while adding what people want, or in some cases, what they think people should use. However, at the end of the day, I can still make a great document with ease. Sure, there's a million other things we can do with MS Word, but the core experience is the same.

The "core" of the Natural Selection franchise is not the gameplay of a particular class or weapon. The "core" is the FPS & RTS format combined with their intellectual property (universe & immersion).

I hate it when folks compare the development timelines of NS2 to NS1. One reason is that the development of NS1 was performed by unpaid hobbyists. The development of NS2 is by paid professionals. Also, one might assume that many lessons were learned during the development of NS1 that should have carried over to NS2.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    eliotmat wrote: »
    I bought NS2 mainly to repay the developers for NS1. I even convinced 3 of my friends to buy NS2.

None of those three friends played NS2 for more than 5 hours. They have all given up on the game.

The learning curve is high. System requirements are very high. The gameplay is muddy.

I love the NS universe. I love the sights and sounds. I love the character and structure designs and animations.

Who knows what the future will hold. Hopefully UWE will optimize the engine and refine the gameplay before the base of players shrivels up.

There's so much "potential" with this franchise. I hope it will be realized.

It sucks to see shkorpio go. Hopefully he'll cool off and come back.

playing a game that has a "high learning curve" for just 5 hours is just asking for one to hate the game, i know its your opinion, but it is flawed, to me atleast, ns2 does not have a high learning curve but a moderate one, maybe compared to scrubby games like halo and cod sure, the learning curve is indeed very high, but compared to other games like company of heroes or warcraft the learning curve is actually quite low.
    all im saying is, give a game with "high learning curve" more time, if your saying the game is not that good cause you cant understand it, when others do, is not the games problem, its the games problem its harder to learn, its your problem that you dont want to invest some time to learn it.

optimization is needed which is what i agree on, however everyone in every thread keeps saying UWE needs to optimize the game and for some reason this maybe a surprise when i say this but they have that as their number 1 priority, you can view it in every patch there is an optimization whether its client side or server side
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i guess schkorpio called the most.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow

playing a game that has a "high learning curve" for just 5 hours is just asking for one to hate the game, i know its your opinion, but it is flawed, to me atleast, ns2 does not have a high learning curve but a moderate one, maybe compared to scrubby games like halo and cod sure, the learning curve is indeed very high, but compared to other games like company of heroes or warcraft the learning curve is actually quite low.
    all im saying is, give a game with "high learning curve" more time, if your saying the game is not that good cause you cant understand it, when others do, is not the games problem, its the games problem its harder to learn, its your problem that you dont want to invest some time to learn it.

optimization is needed which is what i agree on, however everyone in every thread keeps saying UWE needs to optimize the game and for some reason this maybe a surprise when i say this but they have that as their number 1 priority, you can view it in every patch there is an optimization whether its client side or server side

I've invested 100+ hours in NS2 and probably 500+ hours in NS1 (What a waste of time - hehe). In the post you quoted, I said my friends gave up on it after no more than 5 hours.

Speaking of time... It's a race against time for NS2. It's a good game, but will it be a great game before everyone has moved on to newer games? I've yet to see any exciting mods. Sure, Combat is cool, but it's not original - it was a NS1 mod. There were tons of customizations available for NS1 - including bots, siege maps, pig gorges, chicken lerks, moveable structures, etc.

I really hope NS2 can continue to get face time on Steam.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    As long as there are servers running, I'll be playing it.

As long as the devs are supporting it, I'll be grateful for whatever improvements they can afford to release.

As long as I'm playing it, I'll be dragging other people into playing it too. Maybe most of them won't like it. That's okay. The ones that like it will stay, and those are the people I want to play with.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    All been said before.

I really must go post on Doom forums to tell them Ive stopped playing. x

Do you want die? Check out the balls on this kharaa, you'd best start the post off by thanking them for creating the original FPS that spawned every single FPS in existence since before posting such heresy.
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Exactly, I bought Diablo 3 because of my love for Diablo 2. I doubt I will be buying another Activision Blizzard game for a while.

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment, after playing NS2 I wouldn't recommend old NS1 players buy it, it will just disappoint them. Every single person on my friends list owns NS2 but 3/4 don't play it because it was too hard to learn for the new players, ran like arse and had horrible rego for the NS1 players.

edit: Between the 30 different versions of doom being updated every week I'd almost say more people play final doom/etc than NS2, that's gotta be a sobering thought to game play/performance over graphics immersion.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Primal wrote: »
    I got a lot of people to pre-order this game, probably over 20 (between NS1 vets, competitive battlefield players, and random other people). None of us play NS2. Not a single one. Performance and just boring, slow game play were the major contributors to this fact...the game just feels stagnant and wrong...Movement is slow and boring...

The games are supposed to be quicker, but features like power nodes...slow it right back down.

I play one round now and my eyes glaze over. I just think to myself "Why? Why isn't this game enjoyable?"

I'm right there with you Primal. I literally cringe when I see Hugh discuss 'probable win rates' and 'balance.' I have to ask myself who cares about balance when the gameplay leaves so much more to be desired? At this point, I really think the power node structure should be removed. Regarding skill based movement; UWE was given this by default via goldsrc. I know Charlie made a tweet once that he had NS1 and NS2 open in different monitors and he was trying to get the same movement feel. Obviously, it didn't work out.

The percentage of gamers that enjoy a game like NS (1 or 2) is already small. I feel like the design choices of NS2 have deceased that pool even more. My friends were die-hard NS1 fans and are fans of FPS/RTS games in general. I convinced one of them to join me in a game after the latest patch. The two/three games we played were some of the most boring multiplayer rounds (of any game) I've played in recent months. I asked him "why are we still playing this?" and he replied "I don't know... let's load up something else." Maybe we're not NS2's target audience... but we loved NS1. I would have to wonder why a sequel seems to be driving off so many veterans from its predecessor.

I'm curious if our opinion is the minority. If we are the majority, do we even matter? Recently Hugh posted they are getting around 1,000 concurrent players and that they're absolutely thrilled with that number. With the amount of NS2 copies purchased, I'm assuming (hoping) they turned a profit on NS2. NS2 is probably 'good enough' but for those looking for the same addicting, fast paced, high intensity NS1 experience... NS2 doesn't come close.

We obviously have a passion for this game and it's why dissatisfied customers keep posting on these forums. We hope to make it more like our vision of what NS2 should be. At this point, I think it's very unlikely NS2 will see any significant change to the core gameplay elements. This thread might as well serve as my goodbye as well. Good luck to UWE and the NS2 community.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    $5 says this guy won't last a day and will come crawling back from Leeches of Legend or whatever the hell kids are playing these days.

In the off chance you are still on these forums, I'd like to collect my $5 now :) paypal is fine. :blush:
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    schkorpio wrote: »
    $5 says this guy won't last a day and will come crawling back from Leeches of Legend or whatever the hell kids are playing these days.

In the off chance you are still on these forums, I'd like to collect my $5 now :) paypal is fine. :blush:

...how are you typing this, then?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited June 2015
    well I lasted more than a day :P just came for my payout :D
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I miss you and your maps! :D Have you found another game to mod so far?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    well I lasted more than a day :P just came for my payout :D

Be it a day or a year, glad you are back.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

The fine for necromancing a thread is $5, so.................. :D

May I bum five bucks off ya, mate?