The troubles with Quartz

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
I have the feeling, that quite some people are unhappy the way quartz is to manage in the game. What would be your prefered solution?

Edit: Ugh, forgot an option "Alternative ways of harvesting quartz. Please state in your comment"

Comments

• AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    edited June 2015
    I'd say all of the above already, inlcuding allow you to obtain sylicon and glass from sand the good old fashion way, and the quartz could be used instead for increasing the quality.

Like for example more resistant glass (not as strong as the enalmed glass of course) that doesn't weaken too much the base's integrity.
  • drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    There is no problem.. Sheesh you guys do realize this is a test map and the live map with be 4 times larger or more per bio.. More than doubling the amount of resources you find per bio.

Also what happened to the whole your actions impact this world crowd and followers. I mean really you now want infiinite resources and to boot have them in every bio, so easy to obtain.

I surely hope the devs hold to their vision and do not implement things like this or this game will just become a boring sim city underwater sandbox. BLAH!
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Well, the topography of reefs shifts over time. This sifting churns up the seabed and can expose new polymetallic nodules. Unfortunately, such realism would be impossible to incorporate in any game.

One answer is to have slowly respawning resources to compensate for the lack of the inaction. Also, the player should be able to mine for resources. Mining could be as simple as sifting sand with a machine to screen out minerals. When you think about it, it's kinda ridiculous that players can only find minerals on exposed seabed.
    edited June 2015
    Well, the topography of reefs shifts over time. This sifting churns up the seabed and can expose new polymetallic nodules. Unfortunately, such realism would be impossible to incorporate in any game.

One answer is to have slowly respawning resources to compensate for the lack of the inaction. Also, the player should be able to mine for resources. Mining could be as simple as sifting sand with a machine to screen out minerals. When you think about it, it's kinda ridiculous that players can only find minerals on exposed seabed.

A mining equippment would be ideal, my suggestions in this case would be the following: a sonar capable of allowing you to have a probabilistic view of the materials you could get by drilling in the area you scanned and then an automated drill that executes the excavation and brings up the materials from inside the crust, and to make it more challenging the devs could add some gas vents that could damage the drill or blow it up.

The sonar would give something like a list:

Material and percentual possibility.

Titanium %40

Copper %20

Quartz %40

Diamond %1

etch...

depending on where you are.
    Alpha,

Could not agree more... I was only against spawning more open nodes for Quartz. Since well the map is going to enlarge and there is already a ton of it in the shallows to build mini city bases.. Also and more importantly the world is supposed to feel our impact on it... So I did not like the notion of respawning.

However other methods of extraction as you suggested fits perfectly to the world and lends itself nicely to the exploration and adventuring aspect as well.. Love this idea.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Speaking of diamond, a drill would be a perfect luxury tool for them to be "wasted" on ^^
    drakuel wrote: »
    There is no problem.. Sheesh you guys do realize this is a test map and the live map with be 4 times larger or more per bio.. More than doubling the amount of resources you find per bio.

Also what happened to the whole your actions impact this world crowd and followers. I mean really you now want infiinite resources and to boot have them in every bio, so easy to obtain.

I surely hope the devs hold to their vision and do not implement things like this or this game will just become a boring sim city underwater sandbox. BLAH!
    I do realize this is a testmap and this is feedback regarding said testmap. I can't know how the team plans on expanding the map, but i know that in it's current state it lacks some things and i want to let them know, so they can adjust if need be.

I'm not too much of a fan of the actions impact the world. But collecting stuff of the ground is not exactly what i count as worldshaking actions. I had discusions like this in the reddit board of minecraft and most people seemed not to enjoy needles chores that won't improve your gaming experience, like searching for leftover pieces of quartz with kilometers of distance between them. I'm not about being lazy; i'm crazy diligent. But this is simply no fun no more.
    edited June 2015
    Speaking of diamond, a drill would be a perfect luxury tool for them to be "wasted" on ^^

I do realize this is a testmap and this is feedback regarding said testmap. I can't know how the team plans on expanding the map, but i know that in it's current state it lacks some things and i want to let them know, so they can adjust if need be.

I'm not too much of a fan of the actions impact the world. But collecting stuff of the ground is not exactly what i count as worldshaking actions. I had discusions like this in the reddit board of minecraft and most people seemed not to enjoy needles chores that won't improve your gaming experience, like searching for leftover pieces of quartz with kilometers of distance between them. I'm not about being lazy; i'm crazy diligent. But this is simply no fun no more.

Well Drakuel i see what you mean and i agree with addying a cause-effect system, however a lot of people including me desire quartz to be respawning slowly because it's basic to a very wide range of items, most notably temporary ones, like the power cells.

Or the devs could simply elude the problem by allowing the power cells to be rechargable with renewable power and allow you to extract quartz from the sand too.

And i never thought about the drill as a luxury it would be basic after reaching a certain degree of development, the diamond head could be a good idea for an upgrade though, so it would reach deeper and extract more materials, and last longer.
    Yes there will be storage power collecting and solar rays all kinds of options for power, think very soon actually.. I am not against more resources, heavens no... It is a ocean after all, I think one guy swimming around in it collecting it is not going to deplete it anytime in his lifetime... Hehe, okay joking aside I would just like to see more ways to get it then just swimming to the same node and grabbing it, this to me will just make the game very tedious and boring.

Now Captain is right in saying it is a mindless chore, but just doubling up your rate of spawning is not what changes it from mindless to fun, no find ways to make either the receipe for things more complicated so it takes 1 quartz but 1 of this and 1 of that to make whatever or find more fun and interesting ways of achieving it, versus just going to the same spot every 10 minutes and grabbing it.
    edited June 2015
    Yes there will be storage power collecting and solar rays all kinds of options for power, think very soon actually.. I am not against more resources, heavens no... It is a ocean after all, I think one guy swimming around in it collecting it is not going to deplete it anytime in his lifetime... Hehe, okay joking aside I would just like to see more ways to get it then just swimming to the same node and grabbing it, this to me will just make the game very tedious and boring.

Now Captain is right in saying it is a mindless chore, but just doubling up your rate of spawning is not what changes it from mindless to fun, no find ways to make either the receipe for things more complicated so it takes 1 quartz but 1 of this and 1 of that to make whatever or find more fun and interesting ways of achieving it, versus just going to the same spot every 10 minutes and grabbing it.

Mmmmh you made your point clearer now thank you :)

Just one thing, with power storage i meant the ability of taking the empty cells and recharging them, like at a recharge station and then put them back in their sockets.

With this the quartz usage would drop significantly already.

300px-AntlionThumper.jpg (this is a thumper from Half Life 2, it's used to send vibes in the ground but i think it would make a nice drill with the right modifications)

oh and the drill could look like this more or less, it could require titanium, copper and power cells to work and you could be able to repair it with the welder in case it breaks.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members

Wait, what? What do you mean this is a test map? I thought they were adding biomes in as they got them done, and building out from the Aurora.

edited June 2015
    I would just like to see more ways to get it then just swimming to the same node and grabbing it, this to me will just make the game very tedious and boring.
    I completely agree
    I agree even more!

But i was talking about the problem i see in quartz in general. I think the drill and the sand sieving are great ideas. Respawning resources isn't exactly my favorite solution for this either.
    And i never thought about the drill as a luxury it would be basic after reaching a certain degree of development, the diamond head could be a good idea for an upgrade though, so it would reach deeper and extract more materials, and last longer.
    Yeah, nice! Or be more power efficient (i'm all about dat power efficiency)

oh and the drill could look like this more or less, it could require titanium, copper and power cells to work and you could be able to repair it with the welder in case it breaks.
    Oh, i imagined it as a handheld tool, like the propulsion canon or the seaglide. So it wouldn't work automatically and just spit out some materials now and then. 3x3 Inventory slots, heavy. Even tho there is not enough of some stuff, this is a full, new mechanic tree were talking about. If this is worth the effort, it has to be bound to some manual labor.
    edited June 2015
    Oh, i imagined it as a handheld tool, like the propulsion canon or the seaglide. So it wouldn't work automatically and just spit out some materials now and then. 3x3 Inventory slots, heavy. Even tho there is not enough of some stuff, this is a full, new mechanic tree were talking about. If this is worth the effort, it has to be bound to some manual labor.

Well i don't think having the drill as another portable tool would be a good idea, drills need to go very deep down in the crust to hit the veins and pools, and i don't think that something portable could do that.

And at any rate it would be just a modified terraformer in the end.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I was under the impression that the quartz crystals ALREADY regularly respawned, usually around night time, in the shallows???
    If this is the case, it's probably not enough to notice for most of us =/
  • SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    I'd like to see a building, honestly. Part of "advanced base construction," It would most likely be a 2-level structure.

Level 1 would be a dedicated drilling/sifting equipment area it would require constant power and for about the overall time as 3 uses of the fabricator it would "mine" one non-quartz item with all excess sand being moved along the wall in sifting tubes to specialized "crystallization" chambers that would slowly turn 4-6 transformer "material" units into quartz.

Level 2 would be storage/fabrication. Any lockers or other possible storage containers made or placed inside the room would be automatically used to store mined materials through the use of miniature bots, much like the constructor bots, that would carry the items to the storage units.

Such a structure would be rather large and would require a LOT of resources and as such it should require as much or even double the resources of building a Cyclops to be constructed, meaning that you would have to require the necessary materials to build the item buy traditional means, working out the "easy" acquisition of mass resources.

The power consumption would also be rather heavy-handed. Once we know more about other power generators and their power output a hefty but reasonable power consumption would be defined.
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    I was under the impression that the quartz crystals ALREADY regularly respawned, usually around night time, in the shallows???

So did I, Quartz has not been something I have had an issue with... Copper on the otherhand... damn RNG
    FrostyFish wrote: »
    So did I, Quartz has not been something I have had an issue with... Copper on the otherhand... damn RNG
    I'm not sure. I collected quartz for hours yesterday and sometimes it seemed like it respawned, but i have three savegames and i can't tell in which i collected the quartz already.
    Funny you mention copper. I started to craft beacons, storage cubes and bateries, because i don't know where to put all the copper i find. Sometimes i wish, limestones would hold more titanium than copper.

Is it RNG? That'd be interesting to know.
  • TerraPuerTerraPuer texas Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205244Members
    since quartz is one of the most common minerals on earth i think we should put it in many biomes as well as have it respawn. BUT it should respawn in the form of growing! the quartz should grow back where you found it, you pick a quartz and then a day later you find a little tiny quartz where the bigger one was. however if you pick it when it is small you only get half the amount you would normally get and if you put the tiny quartz in the ground it will grow, then you can have a quartz farm.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    TerraPuer wrote: »
    since quartz is one of the most common minerals on earth i think we should put it in many biomes as well as have it respawn. BUT it should respawn in the form of growing! the quartz should grow back where you found it, you pick a quartz and then a day later you find a little tiny quartz where the bigger one was. however if you pick it when it is small you only get half the amount you would normally get and if you put the tiny quartz in the ground it will grow, then you can have a quartz farm.

I like the idea of quartz respawning by growing, but not it coming back in the same spot over and over. That takes away from the searching for it. I also don't want farms, unless they are a really end game base module that is really expensive, and takes a long time to produce anything. There should still be SOME challenge to getting quartz, just a bit less than there is now.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    It takes a long time for quartz crystals to grow in open conditions. Perhaps it would be more realistic if crystals are randomly exposed by currents.

Although, here is an even better idea.

Quartz only forms under the following conditions:
    • Inside silica-rich molten rock during cooling and solidification
    • Within pegmatites during and following the pneumatolytic processes
    • In mostly watery solutions of silica under various conditions
    Perhaps players could extract volcanic glass from cooled magma (additional use for the Exosuit drill?). The formation of crystals in magma can happen in days, as opposed to millions of years in a solution. Also, mining rock features should be implemented - instead of just whacking open nodules.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Similar to Totally I think the quartz should be found near volcanic vents. With the vents spewing out quartz crystals every so often. So basically a spawn point, but more realistic.
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Until having most of the current equipments/vehicles I didn't have any problem with quartz scarcity. I'm more worried for later game, but I bet UWE has something under the hood regarding this, be it with a drill, new equipment fitted for high temp areas... The only wish I make is that it will have to be tied to other tech tiers, not by "simple" respawn (though I like the volcanic vents idea)
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Quartz only forms under the following conditions:
    • Inside silica-rich molten rock during cooling and solidification
    • Within pegmatites during and following the pneumatolytic processes
    • In mostly watery solutions of silica under various conditions
    Perhaps players could extract volcanic glass from cooled magma (additional use for the Exosuit drill?). The formation of crystals in magma can happen in days, as opposed to millions of years in a solution. Also, mining rock features should be implemented - instead of just whacking open nodules.
    Jacara wrote: »
    Similar to Totally I think the quartz should be found near volcanic vents. With the vents spewing out quartz crystals every so often. So basically a spawn point, but more realistic.

These are good ideas, and also rather easy to implement. So how about:
    - Non-respawning nodes of quartz on the seabed & caves that show no volcanic activity (no longer at least)
    - Respawning quartz on volcanic spots around the map (safe shallow geysirs, lava caves & other spots)

Meaning you have some basic amount of quartz to get things going in the beginning, but to maintain the machines that need quartz to operate, you might have to dig deeper. Not sure how this idea plays along with the devs ideas about the energy economy of the game. A decisive thing regarding that will be whether you can charge the Cyclops from your base or not.