Ideas For Deep Sea Creatures

BraydenDCBraydenDC Canada, British Columbia, Mission Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205193Members
I would love to see enemies that are impossible to attack and are bigger than a Emperor. Like a squid that can attack you cyclops but is still 10 times bigger than it.
I want to feel vulnerable on this alien world. Your best options is to be lucky when exploring the deep and open waters.

These are what I imagine

I am very excited for the future of Subnautica. The deep sea has always been one of my biggest fears but brings out my curiosity the most at the same time. LEAVE SUGGESTIONS BELOW

Comments

• AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    This won't help anyone with a fear of the ocean...

But it will make this game more badass
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think that dangerous deep sea creatures are a good idea, but not "certain death if they see you, there is nothing you can do" creatures. They should be deadly if you just try cruising up in your cyclops, but there needs to be a way to survive them besides just being lucky enough to escape them. Perhaps you have to go into the biome where they live to get the resources for some cyclops upgrade, or better yet, a larger sub,  that would make them less of a threat. That first time you went there (or first few times, depending on how hard it is to find what you need), you would just have to hope that they don't see and attack you. But later, while they could still hurt you, and you would have to be careful, you can survive them and escape if you need to.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015

This won't help anyone with a fear of the ocean...

But it will make this game more badass
    The only issue with massive creatures is they can only be filter feeders. Anything larger than the Sea Emperor and it's going to be impossible to justify aggressive behavior. When you're the size of a freaking continent there is absolutely no reason to really give two sh*ts about a puny human or anything else.

The only perceivable threat would be accidentally squashing. Of course, the mega fauna is still going to be limited by nutritional constraints - the very reason why nothing much larger than Blue Whales have ever existed on Earth. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Large_Predatory_Pliosaur_Size.jpg
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    I don't think those creatures will be able to run on a pc without breaking it for too much memory. And there is something bigger than the blue whale.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    I believe more variety is much better in the long run than titan sized monsters.

Think in a more creative way! Something that survives down there and is reeeeeally smart!

Like how about a Siren version in subnautica that tricks you into dangerous zones or attacks you one second and hides the next so you are in constant fear.

There is more to it too, like how about huge worms like in that underwater cave in Zelda Majora's Mask?
  • drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    I agree with Airstrike, variety and danger from various forms of life is far more important. Tiny creatures in ocean are very deadly, probably more deadly and have killed more people than larger animals in history.

Night time definatley needs more variety and more danger to it, than in our current build.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    drakuel said:

Night time definatley needs more variety and more danger to it, than in our current build.
    Except for the fact that most of the aggressive fauna in the game are active at night... it's already more dangerous.
  • KolhrafnKolhrafn Britain Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205246Members
    I think what we need are a lot more smaller fish for the bigger things to eat, although it does bother me that some of the predators are very heavily armoured....
    Also there are no sea urchin/starfish/sea slug, crustacean equivalents, instead of concentrating on really big monsters it would be better to have lots of different creatures like there are on real coral reefs.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Yeah the only thing notible at night are the fact that hostile fish are more aggressive...

I would like to see a fish passive/hostile that only comes out at certain times of the day.
  • Q'ownQ'own NewYork Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205251Members
    I do not want to see fish, I want to see arthropods at the bottom. Giant, freakishly fast, still, looming deep sea bugs, also it'd be interesting if getting close to the aurora acted like getting beside a giant person, thrashing and freaking out, it would attract predators, especially if the ship had it's dark matter engine on but only worked in pulses, so getting close to the ship might be tough, due to tidal forces, of the ship making massive waves, so on the surface it'd be difficult and in the safety of your cyclopes it would also be hard since it would be slamming against the ocean floor.

Also, it'd be nice to see deep sea creatures producing oxygen, as waste to justify how the air has breathable amounts of oxygen, and having the daytime be toxic slightly.

Or like a visible city of deeps sea creatures glowing, that way it would be interesting to see massive predators that do not glow swimming between you and the predators below that glow. (Unintentional rhyme.)
  • Q'ownQ'own NewYork Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205251Members
    Deep see tendril like fungus, massive viens of fungus which want to devour all the deciduous matter on the ocean floor. It would create a looming and very horrible feeling to venture near the ocean floor and see all the dead fish from many meters above you slowly falling and building up on the ocean floor and seeing these enormous vein like tendrils burying them.

It would make the game feel like a massive interconnected organism struggling to kill you.
  • drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    I agree with some here.. The spawning system right now is too static.. Regardless if they made the fauna more aggressive at night as some pointed out, it is easily avoidable and does not really present a sense of danger to me once I realized how static the AI is. The variety at night and different night predators are not enough. But the spawning system in it's current form is not enough. 

I am still play testing, but so far I see very little AI in this spawning system, the same fish can be found around the same area's, there is hardly any roaming going on. I doubt any roaming between bios either is going on, the larger creatures should be moving between area's. Certain predators should be hunting around the whole area, even schools of fish of larger size should be seen roaming more. 

If you are attacked the AI will give up to easy for some fish, just swim away or at different angles and the predator AI is easily fooled to go back home. 

Far as variety I am assuming this is just a matter of artwork and animation to add more resources to the system, so I do not see that as a long term problem, but more of what is needed to make the ocean come more alive.
    Q'own said:
    Deep see tendril like fungus, massive viens of fungus which want to devour all the deciduous matter on the ocean floor. It would create a looming and very horrible feeling to venture near the ocean floor and see all the dead fish from many meters above you slowly falling and building up on the ocean floor and seeing these enormous vein like tendrils burying them.

It would make the game feel like a massive interconnected organism struggling to kill you.
    Something like that is already planned.
  • BraydenDCBraydenDC Canada, British Columbia, Mission Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205193Members
    I really like the idea with airstrike and how he said about the intelligent creatures. kinda like how the warper is going to work when its implemented.
    sharvy said:
    I don't think those creatures will be able to run on a pc without breaking it for too much memory. And there is something bigger than the blue whale.
    I think the Sea Emperor is just about as big as a blue whale.