General ideas as well as multiplayer as a game mode

reaperLeviathenfoodreaperLeviathenfood florida Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204681Members
I see a lot of comment requests for both multiplayer and guns in this game. I think a great idea would be to put those together in a different game mode (when you chose hardcore or survival). That option would give you multiplayer either by invite or a search board. Then in this option give monsters more HP for each person in, as well as a static speed boost and and maybe increased spawned numbers. Maybe also make the cyclopse invulnerability above 100M to environment only (monsters can still hurt it) to avoid it being broken if you attach guns to it. Also maybe in deep waters give a chum the waters idea to attract bigger monsters? (a great idea in the survival mode as well). Then reduce the food provided by fish by 10-20% in this mode but let it would allow you to harvest the monsters you kill for a bigger food reward. This game mode would have everything the normal survival mode has but more gun options strictly for killing monsters. This mode then could be more for multiplayer with friends and hunting rather than the hardcore solo versions which immerse you in the survival horror of the deep. As it is I know i can stasis rifle and knife enemies to death but i purposely DON'T do that because i feel it takes away from the survival horror vibe if I am not scared of the monsters (exception being that I kill the suction worms >:(. ) I still think the option for playing with friends could be a nice addition especially if it was in a separate mode. As for guns, many other posts have ideas about those including harvesting bones for needles, having chemicals to induce sleep or paralyses, as well as just shooting to kill bullets ex..

Ideas
-Past that, general ideas I had was the chum the waters for regular mode to discourage just stasis rifleing then stabbing everything for easy harvest.
-Making bases under 200M takes the stronger glass
-ladder segments that are small and take up a whole floor height, essentially a ladder to extend more than 1 floor without needing excessive stacked corridors
-Also make ladders on bottom parts have a priority to hug walls so that it will not block a walk way. With reinforcement on a side you cannot pass by a ladder.
---for new players especially--- when you first exit the escape pod have it do a blue pulse and say "scanning within 50M complete" then when looking at the fabricator the materials would have a ? at the top corner for the shallows materials and the computer could say "Ive found a suitable source in these deposits" and then have a picture of what the source looks like rather than where it actually is. It took me 4 hours to make my first med kit because of the coral part. This could be only for the starting area if need be
-Also I see some complaints about seamoth turning and how bad the cylcopse control is. While i can agree I do not dislike it. I run around on the seaglide because of its maneuverability a LOT. I rather like how everything has its ups and downs, the more safe you are the less visibility and mobility you have, it is a good trade off. It keeps things from being obsolete.
-A possibility for a new base construction could be a teleportation pad? very rare material requirement, but as we build bases 500M away it would be nice to be able to get back without driving for 15 mins, also maybe limit the number of them you could have?
For story ideas we could have beacons that are a different color (maybe blue) that have nodes for upgrades or recordings for story and we have no idea if big monsters have it in a cave or not until we get closer.
-beacons can get annoying with lots of them. Maybe have the option to turn off beacons, or have a range on them like 100 M beacons and you can make stronger ones later on.

ideas i remembered after first post lol
-maybe a good use for all those extra fragments, upgrades. Say they spawn 6 seamoth fragments around the shallows, 1 is easy to find then we have a lot of other useless ones. What if each extra fragment enabled us to upgrade the unit by a little? ex gold couplings / wires - increases efficiency by 30%, better turbines- 10% increased speed, increased light radius... ect... Small upgrades that do not make hunting them down needed, but if you find them its nice. This also makes sense cause we are replicating something from 1 fragment, the more fragments the better it should be right?

For all those that read this, thank you for your time

Comments

• SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited May 2015
    I think the gun-mode multiplayer is a really bad idea. This wouldn't be the same game any more. The game wouldn't be kid-friendly any more, and it would also require quite a lot of work and resources.
    I like most of your other suggestions, though.
    -Making bases under 200M takes the stronger glass

-Also I see some complaints about seamoth turning and how bad the cylcopse control is. While i can agree I do not dislike it. I run around on the seaglide because of its maneuverability a LOT. I rather like how everything has its ups and downs, the more safe you are the less visibility and mobility you have, it is a good trade off. It keeps things from being obsolete.

-A possibility for a new base construction could be a teleportation pad? very rare material requirement, but as we build bases 500M away it would be nice to be able to get back without driving for 15 mins, also maybe limit the number of them you could have?

For story ideas we could have beacons that are a different color (maybe blue) that have nodes for upgrades or recordings for story and we have no idea if big monsters have it in a cave or not until we get closer.
    -beacons can get annoying with lots of them. Maybe have the option to turn off beacons, or have a range on them like 100 M beacons and you can make stronger ones later on.

-Stronger glass-thing makes sense. At the moment stalker teeth are pointless after building a cyclops, so this would be a good way to make them worth collecting.

-Seamoth controls are fine for me. The only reason it should be tweaked is if it causes motion sickness on Oculus Rift.

-You could harvest something from warpers that you could use for portals. This would be definitely end-game content.

-I don't really understand what you mean with the beacon idea. Some automatically placed different colour beacons somewhere with lore? If that's what you mean, then I'll disagree. Those would make no sense. Also, adding on/off button on beacons is unnecessary, since you can just pick em up.

EDIT:
    I have my own suggestion list, and I also collect some other lists' links in there. I'll put a link for this under my thread, OK? (I'll give credit to you) :)
  • reaperLeviathenfoodreaperLeviathenfood florida Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204681Members
    Hello :) sorry Ive been busy, and of course its fine to link mine under yours. I'll have to take a look at your list as well. And I must say I agree that it isn't the same game with multiplayer and guns. So far it is about half the story that you are the ONLY survivor, so multiplayer is counter intuitive to the story unless the other players are robots who eat metal / batteries lol. That is why I was suggesting that if its added it should be as another game mode so that the people who are asking for both multiplayer and guns may have them both, in a separate version of the game (and we can keep the current version without the guns).

To clarify with the beacons, I was thinking maybe beacons that were blown away with the Arura explosion, and rather than just beacons it could be data capsules with possibly reading / records on what it was that caused the crash which could cause story progression.
    edited May 2015
    To clarify with the beacons, I was thinking maybe beacons that were blown away with the Arura explosion, and rather than just beacons it could be data capsules with possibly reading / records on what it was that caused the crash which could cause story progression.

Like black boxes of a spaceship? That could work. Perhaps they could give some information about the source of the mysterious pulse that hit Aurora, and you could go search for it after finding a few of those capsules. The black boxes could have radio transmitter on them, which you could track with cyclops' radio equipment (upgrade cyclops consoles in controls room).

EDIT:
    For those who don't know, black box is a nickname for device, that records the state of a plane. So if an accident happens, the box will give some information about what went wrong.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited May 2015
    -A possibility for a new base construction could be a teleportation pad? very rare material requirement

Rare material for something that lets you teleport? It'd be cool to have a rare drop from warpers that factors into this.
  • reaperLeviathenfoodreaperLeviathenfood florida Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204681Members
    edited May 2015
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »

Like black boxes of a spaceship? That could work. Perhaps they could give some information about the source of the mysterious pulse that hit Aurora, and you could go search for it after finding a few of those capsules. The black boxes could have radio transmitter on them, which you could track with cyclops' radio equipment (upgrade cyclops consoles in controls room).

yeah something like that would be cool IMO, it would encourage the exploration of the place. Also why I wouldn't want the global signal to show to keep it less 'objective here and go' you would have to explore and get somewhat close for the beacon to show.

also @fluffers yeah warpers would make the most sense for the item
    Fluffers wrote: »
    -A possibility for a new base construction could be a teleportation pad? very rare material requirement

Rare material for something that lets you teleport? It'd be cool to have a rare drop from warpers that factors into this.

I'd say that animals shouldn't drop items on death, because Subnautica is based on exploration, not fighting or such. Instead the teleporter would need 100% complete DNA research of warpers. And you would need some really rare materials to build it.
    DNA comprehension on teleporter is a great idea, i love it. I was thinking moreso a drop like the stalker teeth, but i like the DNA concept even more
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    Fluffers wrote: »

I'd say that animals shouldn't drop items on death, because Subnautica is based on exploration, not fighting or such. Instead the teleporter would need 100% complete DNA research of warpers. And you would need some really rare materials to build it.

You're right, that's a good idea.
  • DROPKICKCOLINDROPKICKCOLIN Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205351Members
    I see some people saying guns are a bad idea and I agree. Guns would ruin the experience of being underwater in a sci-fi universe. What would be cool is cannons and armor on the cyclops and seamoth and having gun battles with other players.
    I see some people saying guns are a bad idea and I agree. Guns would ruin the experience of being underwater in a sci-fi universe. What would be cool is cannons and armor on the cyclops and seamoth and having gun battles with other players.

PvP makes zero sense. If we'll ever get multiplayer, the gameplay is more likely focused around building and exploring together than fighting. Only kind fighting that could work is boneshark pong with propulsion cannons. :)