Open ocean biome

sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
So, looking through the various concept art, I found this image that I though was quite interesting:rmm6blsty3ii.jpg

Now, the first thing to draw my attention was the submarine, which is clearly the focus of the picture. And I must say, that with concept art like this, I am a dissapointed in the look of the cyclops, but perhaps something more like this will be added in the future. Anyway, what I next noticed was the background: open water, filled with various fish. An I thought: why don't we have areas like this in the game? While there is a fair bit of open water above deeper biomes, it is totally empty, with all the fish living near the bottom. I feel like this ought to change, with more content suspended in open water. So I was thinking that an open ocean biome would be a great addition to the game. My thinking would be that it would be a large, deep area of open water, but not an empty one. There would be large schools of fish, like in the concept art, and also some larger swimming creatures. The schools of fish could be an ideal source of food, especially if you could get some sort of net, maby with some creature like a stalker trained to chase them into it (this is actually done with dolphins, they chase fish into nets, and they get some as a reward). This would also be a natural home for various large creatures that are planned, like the crabsquid. Reefbacks (with actual reefs on their backs) would fit in well here, but it seems to me that, as big as they are, the ones in the game are a bit small to be their own ecosystems. So I thought: what if the biomes where they are currently found are actually where small ones stay until they are large enough to be safe from some predator found in deeper waters, and the reason they currently lack reefs are because they are not yet mature. So in this open ocean biome, you could find far larger ones with actual reefs on their backs. As one goes deeper in this biome, life forms could get stranger and stranger, until you finally reach the bottom. And who knows what could be there! So please tell me what you think of this idea, I want feedback, hopefully positive, but if you have constructive critisism, I welcome that as well.

Comments

• Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    I completely agree with this. while we don't know what the dev's far future plans are, i can see the size of the map being an issue. I've seen a few suggestions already of having a procedural generated area beyond the hand crafted map and I'm starting to think this may be a good idea. most of the ocean floor is empty plains of sand anyway.

Also. that sub looks BA and I want one
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Lol, yea, that sub looks really cool, cant imagine what the devs were thinking when they went with the cyclops instead of this. But I feel like adding a biome like this would not be so hard, because as you said, most of the map is empty, so they could stick it there. But even if they don't add a new biome, just fleshing out the open water in existing biomes would be really good. Since this biome is mostly just empty space, all the real work would go into creature design.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Seeing the sea emporer's size in the trailer(that is if its size stays like that after implementation) a place like this would be nice like not directly in but more outwards and deeper.

One would assume that the size of this place is maybe 300m deep or 500m if that's not deep enough, then once you go into the deeper parts of this biome like say 1000m deep, that is where you'll find the sea emporer.

a side note how about some alien turtles that swim in one big line, like how the turtles did in nemo.
    Well, reefbacks are a bit like that, they are like turtles, and they do swim in groups. What I think would be really cool is to be able to build bases on the huge reefbacks, to have a moving base, with resources like fish and acid mushrooms on the go. Not sure if that would get along with voxel terrain though.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited May 2015
    @Mshelp19 I have some ideas for that sub concept art, check this thread.
    @sayerulz Reefbacks are more likely based on whales (! reefback vs. humpback !). And I don't think building bases on those would work...

I agree with having open water fish schools, but they shouldn't be everywhere. I mean, the deep ocean areas should be mostly empty, with ocassiaonal fish / school here and there. Reefbacks should remain in semi-deep areas, and in deep sea you could find this one:
    y1kznf90wf7d.jpg
    This is also official concept art.
    Those Ω-shaped fish could be open water species.
    I think that that whale-thing would go there, but I also think that there ought to be larger reefbacks, as the ones in the game just seem too small. If they simply added larger ones with reefs in a different biome, then they would not have to change existing ones. And I agree, the open sea should not be as busy as reefs and other bottom biomes, but it should not be totally empty like it is now.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    I really want a pelagic biome. The surface just feels too empty and safe.

Want to escape danger? Just go to the surface. Want to avoid a dangerous species? Just go above and over it. It's so boring.
  • theodoulostheodoulos United States Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203448Members
    I agree with a few larger creatures, but also what of the idea that really large and old reefbacks could have their own biome on them...kinda like the world on a turtle.
    @theodoulos Reefbacks will have a minibiome growing on their back. There's even concept art for it, check it from the SN wiki.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    That is a seriously sexy submarine.

I must have it.

Will exchange one gently-used Cyclops and Seamoth in trade. Don't make me beg.
  • BingohasBingohas UK Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203667Members
    @Bugzapper

I don't have one gently-used cyclops but rather 12 completely obliterated ones and 2 severely damaged. Can I at least get a discount if I trade those in?
    This is a VERY limited edition submarine! There are currently only zero of them in the game! You cant just trade a Cyclops or two for it! Only the devs can help you, you must speak to them.
  • TheSurvieTheSurvie Des Monies IA Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204631Members
    make it big enough to put the cyclops into it.
  • TheSurvieTheSurvie Des Monies IA Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204631Members
    theodoulos wrote: »
    I agree with a few larger creatures, but also what of the idea that really large and old reefbacks could have their own biome on them...kinda like the world on a turtle.

Yeah actually that would be pretty cool.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    That sub looks to be nearly 3 times as long/high/wide as the Cyclops, making it ~25 times the volume. It seems to me something that big would make more sense in a multiplayer (or bot/NPC-supported) game. The only other role I can see for it would be to act as a cargo ship - for which there is no need in the current game.

Still, its very cool.
    edited May 2015
    @Racer1 I checked some concept art for cyclops, and if the size of the guy in that and this sub picture are in correct ratio, this sub is about ~2 times the size of cyclops. I'd say the volume is max 10x. But the size can be changed from original concepts. This concept art is way too cool to be scrapped.
    Maby this sub could go deeper than the cyclops, or have some sort of special sensors or tools, or could be immune to some creature that is strong enough to hurt the cyclops. There are tons of uses it could have.
    @sayerulz Cyclops can go a lot deeper after putting in some upgrade modules. The concept sub could go maybe around as deep as cyclops or less, be little bit slower and use more energy. However, it would have lots more space for customization (living room?), more functionalities, those round thing on the side could be hatches for docking smaller vehicles (total of 4) and you could set some power generation systems on it -> recharges slowly.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to need a Command Chair, plus a holographic navigation/sonar console... And the ability to sit down.

That magnificent beast also needs a suitably magnificent name to identify its class. I dub thee 'Skidbladnir'.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    edited May 2015
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    I agree with having open water fish schools, but they shouldn't be everywhere. I mean, the deep ocean areas should be mostly empty, with ocassiaonal fish / school here and there. Reefbacks should remain in semi-deep areas, and in deep sea you could find this one:
    y1kznf90wf7d.jpg

DAT FISH! I would soil myself if I encountered that fella in the deep, open ocean. Might even cause serious damage to a sub on collision. Creatures like that (whales?) tend to just FEED (plankton and stuff?) with their mouth open while diving as well. A fearful thought.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    There should be a lot of fish or the biome would feel empty. Remember in videogames all realism goes out the window for atmosphere.
    There should be a lot of fish or the biome would feel empty. Remember in videogames all realism goes out the window for atmosphere.

No. This game should, and probably will, be relatively realistic. I mean, for a video game. Vast emptyness in some places increases the feeling of solitude, which would just add to the game's atmosphere.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    Well you should be able to come across interesting things relatively frequently.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Lol, yea, that sub looks really cool, cant imagine what the devs were thinking when they went with the cyclops instead of this.
    There were a few reasons behind the decision.

#1 - Originally we wanted to have multiple sub sizes - small, medium, and large. The sub in that concept is obviously of the large variety, and we chose to start with a sub of medium size, as the default, because it seemed the most versatile and least risky (we still aren't even sure how a giant sub like the one in this post would even fit into the world)

#2 - We wanted to get away from the typical combat focused first person shooter experience. It was important to us that the subs and technology looked more scientific and multi purpose, rather then militaristic. The shark looking sub design is super cool, but it is also a very aggressive looking design, and something that looks like it would be firing off torpedoes.

While we do think that it can work as a later game sub, we didn't feel it was as appropriate as the current Cyclops for the default player built sub. But if we do decide to add another new submarine to the game, we will very likely go back to this design.

Regarding the open ocean areas, we agree that they can get pretty empty right now. We are doing more, and have plans to do more, to fill some of the emptiness up, such as adding submerged floating islands to break up the vertical space. And we do want to add more creatures, but it is not an easy task to fill up the open ocean areas in the whole world.

Please use that concept art as the basis for making the large sub.
    Yea, I agree that the cyclops is a better size than that for a basic sub. I really do hope that you guys add something like that in the future, it looks really cool. But I agree that there are not really very many spaces in the game where you could drive something like that, so it would have to wait.
    edited May 2015
    The devs have other things to do before they add more vehicles. :)
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    Might also be nice to have a dolphin like species that actually enjoys swimming alongside the Cyclops and may even playfully and harmlessly interact with the player. We have so many species that shy away or attack but nothing in between.