Do we need more vehicles?

SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
So far we have cyclops, seamoth and exosuit (soon). So what kind of extra vehicles do we need in the game? Pick your favourite answer.

Comments

• SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    I personally would like 1 bigger submersible that could hold multiple smaller vehicles, but not cyclops. There exists a piece of official concept art, that could become proper design for this. I don't see any particular use for surface vehicles as of now. Check this for the full idea.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I just think there should be more. More content=better. Even if they don't do anything special, just adding more variety is good. But for now I think that the devs have other things to focus on.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't think another submersible is needed tbh. I would rather see the cyclops be extended in functionality. Some things to really make it feel like your mobile home.

1) Model a small observation room (with lots of windows) that you climb up to with a ladder at the very top of the cyclops that's currently unused space. Similar to the ISS's observation window.

2) More interactivity. Open/close a 'shield' that extends over the main bubble window. Turn lights on and off, tinker with stuff you can players in the locker pods.

Etc...
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd love to see perhaps one more submersible, but not like the cyclop. Something more intended as a mobile, slow moving base; large, round, with a central fully glassed bubble that double as a moon docking station (that part is already being developed right now) and an observation center.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    I wouldn't mind a large boat that has a moon pool for a moth or two. While it's nice to be underwater, I also want to be above it for a while.

If the boat could be used to do the more detailed scientific research, it would provide more reason to have it as well as the Cyclops. Maybe the possibility of doing DNA research on the boat and experimenting with changing DNA to see how it affects the outcome. Of course it would have it's own dangers. changes could result in an amorphous lump or it could even turn out to be something very deadly. The chance that it would result in something useful, (ie: a creature that acts as a natural repellent for reapers etc), is what drives us though.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Tryst wrote: »
    If the boat could be used to do the more detailed scientific research, it would provide more reason to have it as well as the Cyclops
    Oh! This is an awesome idea!!!
  • Mr.FckurbechMr.Fckurbech Not Saying Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204616Members
    It would be really cool if you could put more generators with the building on the cyclops to make more power.
    also it would be really cool to have a ship to dock your cyclops into, while the seamoth is docked.
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    edited May 2015
    I want a Flying Vehicle, like a VTOL
  • DoomedSwimmer01DoomedSwimmer01 USA Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204617Members
    I'll always take more stuff to build! But what would also be awesome is being able to add modules to existing vehicles.. I love the observation dome idea above and what would be handy is a decoy launcher of some sort to give you a little breathing room in Reaper territory
  • KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
    I definitely would like to see a big ship added in that would be more like a mother ship, so instead of taking the route where I make a sea base, maybe I make my mother ship and go explore the map. It would have to dock either a seamoth or a cyclops (depending on the size the devs would do). And like above comments you could do DNA research on the ship and have your stuff for upgrading your gear. Also maybe instead of the analyzer being a cube they could make a station where you have a glass tube similar to what they had on trello for plant research http://gyazo.com/a39279a52ebe122f81c1299185076a31
  • JP193JP193 UK Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204597Members
    I think boats could be like a really fast way of getting around, at the cost of not being able to dive (obviously).
  • 0zman0zman Moon Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204539Members
    Large boat would be cool when we get multiplayer for when you have 3 friends with you and the cyclops isnt cutting it plus the sea emperor is planned to be larger than the current leviathan so...
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    A Submersible 2times bigger than the Cyclops with a form of a Megalodon
  • MurigoMurigo Italy Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204007Members
    I think that a very big boat is a nice idea. But also smaller subs with storage cubes attached to them, when gathering materials. But most of all an EXTREMELY SLOW mothership, with high power efficiency. Same function of the Emergency Pod, but bigger, better and a lot more cool.
  • LeagusDaemonLeagusDaemon Quebec Join Date: 2015-04-18 Member: 203568Members
    Personally, what I'd like to see, instead of new vehicles, is simply a specialization system for the Cyclops. Imagine having three or more Cyclops, all of them technically the same vehicle but, because of a decision you took in the building process, they have completely different purposes. Each would have its goal, for instance one could be for survivability and another for deep-sea exploration, and each would also have its vulnerabilities, for example one version of the Cyclops could be endangered by Reapers while another could be attacked by Crabsnakes. This would add a lot more depth to the system as a whole.
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members
    i think more vehicles to give us mutltiple options to try instead of 1 ship 2 ship base (3 different sea moth types one speed, one diving, one with arms for collection) depending on use etc boat with a diving bell, lowers down with you inside then you can grab air without having to burn up to surface good for a starter before all existing subs. or a bell on cyclops giving a purpose for the lower level of the ship (it can only dive down to 200m or so then drop bell to get lower air pocket to recover air) i think storage small or not on other vehicles aswell, and equiptment lockers in cyclops lower level where you had the open locker door make em useable for diving equipt. E.G rifles, torch, tools.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    instead of new vehicles i would prefer to have the existing ones to be more upgradable, more detailed and more functional. also instead of vehicles i would rather like to see a ROV or a little intelligent robo-sub for example.
  • aronukaronuk norge Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204667Members
    edited May 2015
    i think it would be cool to have a docking stastion outside the base to the cyclops
  • reaperLeviathenfoodreaperLeviathenfood florida Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204681Members
    I think a mid-sized sub would be great, a middlegrouds for cyclopse and seamoth. More mobile and easier to see than the cyclopse but stronger than the seamoth.

Also yeah a specialization room for the subs could be awesome EX. making more glass around the cyclopse to reduce strength but increase sight.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    At the moment the Cyclops/Seamoth/Seaglide are more than adequate as a means of transportation. If there's going to be a multiplayer, one might need something bigger, or something that a team can work with.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    To clarify, I wouldn't mind seeing the cyclops as an 'upgrade-able' vehicle, where you gradually improve it. The first level cyclops you build at the constructor, the second level you have to dock with a special large base module to increase its size and capabilities. Maybe there's a 3rd level towards the endgame where its at its largest size.

Essentially you have 1 sub that you keep upgrading throughout the game, but keep expanding on it to accommodate different things. I think this is the smarter approach rather than having separate submarines where you discard the old vehicle once you get the "best" one. Players will become attached to their sub throughout the game as well (seeing as how we can already customize its color and name).
  • chasethemagechasethemage Saint.George Join Date: 2015-05-24 Member: 204843Members
    I would really like to see a few more underwater vehicles that could vary in size and have different advantages to using them. (Plus I would love to get something that could finally kill that stupid reaper leviathan.)
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    Small boat, definitely. Something to scout around in the early game.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    I don't think we need more vehicles per say, just more customization. Between the two we have and the Exosuit, what other role is needed?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Adding more vehicles would not just be about what broad roles they serve, it can also have to do with different strengths and weaknesses, I.E a sub that is slower but tougher than they cyclops. And also, it would be good to just have options. Maby I don't like how the cyclops looks, then I could just use another sub, even if it has the same stats. However, if modding is added, which will doubtless lead to many, many different subs being available, then just some basic ones by default would be OK.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    More (and larger) vehicles would work well in any kind of potential multiplayer, but for now we have everything we need. A larger submarine would be nice purely because I like big submarines, but it's not actually essential to the game, the Cyclops does everything you really need.
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    I like the idea of a submersible sized between the moth and cyclops that has built in storage (30 slots), and both analyzers, with a base crush depth of 500m that could be expanded to a maxium depth of 700m, or a fast surface ship hydroplane, roughly same size as cyclops
    Also a large surface ship, (think dual-hull ship) .image.slidesharecdn.com/strockonjhsvandlcs-121029110414-phpapp02/95/the-role-of-jhsv-and-lcs-in-the-seabase-6-638.jpg?cb=1351526761
    with docking area for cyclops between the two hulls, though when it is docked it provides its own buoyancy and docking arms only serve to keep it from slamming into the ship. Larg portion of the cargo area in that JHSV could be dedicated to docking of Cyclops and 2 additional medium / small submersibles.

Would be nice to be able to repair/remodel the escape pod and tether/dock it to a shallow portion of a sea-base for use as an entry point and/or surface observation point.

+Add solar cells, silicone x4, copper wire x4, wiring kit x2 for each panel. Having multiple panels add faster charging to capacity, but cap maximum panels to say 6, and as with panels currently being used, when batteries are charged the power produced goes to actual functioning of what they are attached to.