lethal weapons in Subnautica?

tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
edited May 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
there is some division between lethal and non lethal weapon options. choose a side and maybe the devs will listen

Comments

• tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    oops, accidentally posted before i put an option for firearms. derp. sorry guys :P
  • Dosidicus_gigasDosidicus_gigas Monterey, California Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204316Members
    I rather like not having lethal weapons beyond a knife. I think it enhances the exploration aspect of the game by making animals you encounter things to look at rather than things to kill. I'm worried that adding in more lethal weapons would bias players more towards a "shot first, ask questions later" mentality.

P.S. You spelled it "lethatal" in the first option.
  • Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    edited May 2015
    I like the direction they are going so far. You can use what you have as a lethal weapon but don't have to, like with the propulsion canon
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Some people cant seem to see that there is a line between allowing players to fight off monsters and making a game into an FPS. Take minecraft for example. There are plenty of lethal weapons, but do people play it like an FPS? Not usually, although a few do. Combat should be a minor aspect of the game, but it should be there, with weapons made to encourage using them only defensively. And if you absolutely don't want weapons, then don't use them. No one is saying that combat should be the central focus of the game, or that you should be constantly fighting off waves of monsters with laser cannons, or blowing up reefs with nukes.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    My choice from this would be no lethal weps, but it's not that simple. I just don't want items, that are designed to be weapons. Tech like propulsion cannon can be effectively used to kill creatures, but it's more like a tool you are using in a different way. That is something I want from the game. Maybe you could craft / collect ammo for the prop cannon, like crash (kamikaze fish) and gas grenades from gasopods. Also, I'm kinda ok with a dart gun introduced in this thread.
  • Dosidicus_gigasDosidicus_gigas Monterey, California Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204316Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Some people cant seem to see that there is a line between allowing players to fight off monsters and making a game into an FPS. Take minecraft for example. There are plenty of lethal weapons, but do people play it like an FPS? Not usually, although a few do.

Really, because whenever I played minecraft or similar games, or watch let's play of said games, if the server in question was not explicitly labeled as Role Playing, peoples response to seeing something was almost always "let's kill it and see what we get."
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Combat should be a minor aspect of the game, but it should be there, with weapons made to encourage using them only defensively. And if you absolutely don't want weapons, then don't use them.

I'm not sure I buy that argument. Dominant strategy in game theory suggests that if there is an easy way to deal with an obstacle, the player will use it. If you have lethal weapons and non-lethal weapons in a game, and the lethal weapons permanently remove the obstacle, while non-lethal weapons only temporarily remove the obstacle, which type of weapon do you think people will choose? The lethal weapons, of course, because it's just more convenient.

It's also less creative. If you have no tools specifically designed to kill, then you must think creatively to get past an obstacle. How can I use the propulsion gun to beat my obstacle? How can I use the terraformer tool? Depends on the creature in your way. How do I use a machine gun to get past my obstacle? Shoot it.

I've often thought about Reaper leviathans, "If only I had a gun to deal with you once and for all." But I didn't, so instead I tried different things. There's only going into Reaper territory in a cyclops sub, but I also created a base that went from my starting point to the opening in the side of the Aurora (admittedly using the NOCOST cheat). Once the next patch is in, I'll probably try to use the propulsion gun on them. While I may have wanted a lethal weapon at the time, I'm glad that wasn't an option, as it forced me to think differently about the Reapers.

And so, I reiterate: no lethal weapons beyond knives please.
    I'm not sure I buy that argument. Dominant strategy in game theory suggests that if there is an easy way to deal with an obstacle, the player will use it. If you have lethal weapons and non-lethal weapons in a game, and the lethal weapons permanently remove the obstacle, while non-lethal weapons only temporarily remove the obstacle, which type of weapon do you think people will choose? The lethal weapons, of course, because it's just more convenient.

It's also less creative. If you have no tools specifically designed to kill, then you must think creatively to get past an obstacle. How can I use the propulsion gun to beat my obstacle? How can I use the terraformer tool? Depends on the creature in your way. How do I use a machine gun to get past my obstacle? Shoot it.

I totally agree. I know that I would use lethal weapons, if they were in the game, because it's easier, and it's kinda weird to not use a game feature.
    The creativity is exactly what I've been thinking. I just didn't find good words for it. It's more fun to fool around and try different things (and eventually succeed), than just blindly charge in.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sunbautica is designed with UWE's mission statement in mind -

Uniting the world through play.

Non-Violence appeals to more people than Violence does. Non-Violence means people of all ages can enjoy Subnautica and it's beautiful world.

Start adding lethal weapons and violence, and the game gets an 18 rating. Keep it non-lethal and Children and Grand-Parents alike can also join in the fun.

Polls like this are useless. Here is a quote from Charlie, UWE founder and designer of Subnautica:
    Flayra wrote: »
    The CUTEST. Makes me so glad we decided to make a non-violent game.

Thank you so much for posting.

from this thread -

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137388/so-my-kids-and-i-really-like-subnautica-ok-we-love-it

This thread is exactly what Charlie wanted to happen with this game. Also the thread about people in their 50's and 60's playing this game.

This is a game for all, and it is that way because it is not violent.

I am sorry to break it to you but lethal weapons will never be added to this game, no matter how many threads, polls or opinions appear.
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    Lethal Weapons ok, but im more for non Lethal. I have the Idea for a Shockstaff against Stalkers and Sandsharks and non lethal defense against Reapers and Sea Emperors that gives a sign that ur poisoning them if they bite or eat u. An automatic electrical shocksystem on ur Divesuit for Bleeders.
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    Im against lethal weapons but, weapons that could scare or wound the beasts so they run off, seem fine.
  • drill558drill558 Join Date: 2015-04-16 Member: 203499Members
    Even though I'm against lethal arms, it's really just the LETHAL part I'm against. I wouldn't mind having more options for defense just so long as doesn't involve weapons strictly made for killing. Tranqs, stuns, repellants, ect. are things i wouldn't mind using at range.
  • shadow-wolf1971shadow-wolf1971 north carolina Join Date: 2015-05-05 Member: 204185Members
    A little one sided poll never added none lethal weapons short, medium, and long with knife that is what I want to see in it that's what is wrong with the world today if you have a gun you tend to use it. I am a extreme RPG fan and that has a lot of violence its nice to have a change with a game like this its very refreshing and relaxing.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I think it is awesome, for once, to have a game that I can play with my kids and that are all about discovery and wonder (even in dangerous situations) rather than the urge to kill and control everything. I don't mind the knife, and I really hope we have more creative ways to deal with threats (like freezing the crash in its nest, that's great!). Even a harpoon would make sens, I guess, but it makes no sens for smaller fish and huge one will laugh at you if you use a harpoon and drag you away with it (or just eat you whole). That leaves what, stalkers? nah.
    More defensive options: a suit with a stalker repellant (maybe it's build from extracting DNA from the hanging stingers, with the added benefit of making your suit bioluminescent?), lights or food that would attract hostile lifeforms away from you, fish nets and traps...? Way more creative and interesting.
    @conscioussoul I don't think devs should add repellant suit, since there will be injectable DNA that makes it harder for predators to see you. Otherwise I agree with you completely.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Most tools can be used as weapons, ever tried to kill a reaper leviathan with 1000 quartz spawned deposit and a propulsion cannon, heavy stuff.

I'd go for half and half so long as the tool you are using can also be used to combat other creatures.

some prefer to fight large creatures in a challenging battle while others explore the sea as peacefully as possible, some do both.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Subnautica is supposed to represent an eco-system, and you are supposed to be a scientist.

You are not there to start wiping out the animals and destroying the eco-systems, so you can suck the life out of the planet as a race then move on to the next planet.

This is why I hope we don't develop space travel anytime soon, we are still a virus on our own planet.

Subnautica is a chance to live on a planet in the right way, in harmony with the species that exist, not going out and unbalancing the stability of the planet. I guess it's hard for some people to understand that aspect of the game.
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    edited May 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Subnautica is supposed to represent an eco-system, and you are supposed to be a scientist.

You are not there to start wiping out the animals and destroying the eco-systems, so you can suck the life out of the planet as a race then move on to the next planet.

This is why I hope we don't develop space travel anytime soon, we are still a virus on our own planet.

Subnautica is a chance to live on a planet in the right way, in harmony with the species that exist, not going out and unbalancing the stability of the planet. I guess it's hard for some people to understand that aspect of the game.

Or some of us are more interested in preservation than tree/fish hugging. I mean you know, like regular human beings. We're not all blessed with the transcended thought processes of hippies, because most of us don't smoke all that grass, or try to hug fish.

Once again I hear the recurring argument "I am incapable of making my own decisions, if you give me a gun I will hurt fish because I am incapable of using the gun for anything other than that. Please take the gun away from me, pat me on the back and change my diaper for me while you're at it."

Seriously, even if they DO put guns in the game, that doesn't mean you HAVE to kill with them, and you can spout on and on and on about the "Dominant game-theory" etc, but it does not matter, it is a single player game. If the fishes are dying in your world, it's because you're killing them. Not because Geoff is killing them in his world. I own several guns in real life, but has that made me a psychopathic murderer just because it's the "Easy" route? or the "Dominant theory". No, because I am capable of actually making my own decisions, and deciding NOT to kill people or animals with them. But if someone tries to break into my house, or harm me in some way, you can damn well bet I'm going to scare the mammaries off them with my gun, that doesn't mean I'm going to harm them, it means I'm going to scare them.

Guns do more than just kill things, they're useful for more than just killing, such things as self preservation, survival and whatnot. You know, everything we ARE doing on this planet.

I will say again, I personally do not give a monkeys butt which way they go with lethal weapons, but the people arguing against them need to grow up and start making decisions for themselves, instead of asking the game devs to coddle them like a small child and take their toys away from them because they don't trust themselves. What bothers me about that is that they always try to pass it off like it's someone else's problem, or someone else's fault. It isn't, it's YOURS for being too weak willed to simply say "If they add them I won't use them".
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    Hippies/tree huggers. Not regular human beings. Weak-willed players who cannot choose to use the inferior strategy given superior options. People who need to grow up because they can't make their own decisions when they decide against something.

These are the things you think of people who argue against adding lethal weaponry to this game? Any more double-standards and insults you wish to add to that, Kodasa?

For someone who claims that this kind of discussion here devolves into flame wars, you pour a lot of gasoline into the fire yourself there. :P
  • JP193JP193 UK Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204597Members
    I know a ton of people are used to FPS games and want to be able to kill more in Subnautica, but I heartedly agree with the devs - Powerful weapons make the creatures less scary and also less awe-inspiring. It's not exactly a family-friendly game at all times anyway, but I really think what makes this game unique is the way you feel like an intruder to the ecosystem, not an all-out invader.
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    Wratts wrote: »
    Hippies/tree huggers. Not regular human beings. Weak-willed players who cannot choose to use the inferior strategy given superior options. People who need to grow up because they can't make their own decisions when they decide against something.

These are the things you think of people who argue against adding lethal weaponry to this game? Any more double-standards and insults you wish to add to that, Kodasa?

For someone who claims that this kind of discussion here devolves into flame wars, you pour a lot of gasoline into the fire yourself there. :P

The problem I have, is with the way people make that argument. They say "Oh it takes away from the strategy, it takes away from the experience." They make it sound like it's a problem with other people and they're "Much better human beings than the rest of us because they voted against guns". When you're given tools in a game, you don't always have to use them. But they make it seem like adding guns is going to turn every single subnautica player into some kind of psychotic fish murderer.

Speak for yourselves, sure, but don't make it seem like the rest of us are going to be affected in the same way. They say it like they're worried about other people, but all it really smacks of is being worried about themselves being too weak willed to resist.

I don't care what they do with lethal weapons, add them in, don't add them. But until a decision is made, the people arguing against them, need to come up with something better than what they've currently got. Because I for one am sick of being tarred with the gun happy psycho brush. These people arguing against it assume "Every player will take this option, and then it'll take away from their experience and my own!" If this were multiplayer, that'd be a more reasonable view, but this is a singleplayer game, the point of the game being play it your own way, regardless of the tools added. People arguing against lethal weapons need to stop acting like they're concerned about everyone else's experience and just admit they're only concerned about their own. Which means they're concerned they won't be able to resist the urge to kill the fish and that'll offend their delicate sensibilities.
    I can't see why people can't get over the FACT, that this is designed and destined to be a non-violent game.

Flayra (Charlie) has said all along subnautica will not have weapons in it and that will never change. I can't see why people feel the need to throw insults on either side. No lethal weapons in Subnautica is the way it is, was and always will be.

As I've said before, it doesn't matter how many times it gets discussed, or how many childish insults people throw at each other, the end result will be the same, No lethal weapons in subnautica.
  • MurigoMurigo Italy Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204007Members
    I think that weapons like A spear, a crossbow, are fine. I just don't want any guns or explosives. Unless they are CC things like the stasis rifle! Stasis mines, traps, tracker arrows for crossbows, sleeping darts. It would make the whole "explore and study lifeforms" a lot better, also would be something cool to be able to know where the Reaper Leviathan is, or track down the emperor and safely look at him while it's trapped.
    But i'm going a bit OT, lethal weapons to protect yourself are essential, a knife isn't very useful when there's a Bone Shark coming straight for you...

Weapons? OK! But only simple ones and NO GUNS
  • drill558drill558 Join Date: 2015-04-16 Member: 203499Members

Or some of us are more interested in preservation than tree/fish hugging. I mean you know, like regular human beings. We're not all blessed with the transcended thought processes of hippies, because most of us don't smoke all that grass, or try to hug fish.

Once again I hear the recurring argument "I am incapable of making my own decisions, if you give me a gun I will hurt fish because I am incapable of using the gun for anything other than that. Please take the gun away from me, pat me on the back and change my diaper for me while you're at it."

Seriously, even if they DO put guns in the game, that doesn't mean you HAVE to kill with them, and you can spout on and on and on about the "Dominant game-theory" etc, but it does not matter, it is a single player game. If the fishes are dying in your world, it's because you're killing them. Not because Geoff is killing them in his world. I own several guns in real life, but has that made me a psychopathic murderer just because it's the "Easy" route? or the "Dominant theory". No, because I am capable of actually making my own decisions, and deciding NOT to kill people or animals with them. But if someone tries to break into my house, or harm me in some way, you can damn well bet I'm going to scare the mammaries off them with my gun, that doesn't mean I'm going to harm them, it means I'm going to scare them.

Guns do more than just kill things, they're useful for more than just killing, such things as self preservation, survival and whatnot. You know, everything we ARE doing on this planet.

I will say again, I personally do not give a monkeys butt which way they go with lethal weapons, but the people arguing against them need to grow up and start making decisions for themselves, instead of asking the game devs to coddle them like a small child and take their toys away from them because they don't trust themselves. What bothers me about that is that they always try to pass it off like it's someone else's problem, or someone else's fault. It isn't, it's YOURS for being too weak willed to simply say "If they add them I won't use them".

Actually, my problem with guns isn't so much that i can't avoid using them. Its the issue that I feel Subnautica is all about exploration, gathering data, observing creatures in nature. Straight up killing power feels out of place in that aspect, and therefore would be no purpose to have a shotgun or BFG 9000. If this was a game where you have to kill oncoming hordes of mutant alien fish, that would be different. This isn't Serious Sam, Killing Floor, DayZ (thank fucking christ for that), or Postal 2. The theme of the game just doesn't match the tone of strictly lethal weapons. As for self preservation, plenty of ways other people have mentioned. Stunrods, gas repellants, floaters, tranqs, and trackers, ect.

Wait... scratch all that. We just use floaters. We make the fish take to the sky and claim the sea for ourselves. Floating fish as far as the eye can see.....
  • Kr0nosKr0nos USA Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203889Members
    I just think you should be able to at least kill the ones trying to kill you. A harpoon or spear gun is very reasonable in this senario
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members
    i think spear gun for catching fish yea but other options netting could be cool or fish traps. only use i see is to hold back nasties and catch food for weapons best using it to populate the world and make it bigger aswell
  • BoargutseabeaterBoargutseabeater C'thulu's bedchamber Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204650Members
    I think after a while people will get bored of only crafting, surviving etc. i think self defense weapons should be implemented for "end game" very difficult to craft but all the awesome monsters being designed, we will finally be able to take them on/hunt them. Or even a 1-3 shot defense gun for last call scenarios. Like swimming to the bottom coming face to face with a leviathan. ^^|
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    i think spear gun for catching fish yea but other options netting could be cool or fish traps. only use i see is to hold back nasties and catch food for weapons best using it to populate the world and make it bigger aswell

Well actually the propulsion cannon will be replacing trying to catch a fish by hand, so long as they improve the accuracy of it you can catch a fish with out having to sneak behind it
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members

Well actually the propulsion cannon will be replacing trying to catch a fish by hand, so long as they improve the accuracy of it you can catch a fish with out having to sneak behind it

why not just make them motionless to make it real boring id personally prefer the hunt the chase
This discussion has been closed.