So, we're to do that?

Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
As we were a terraforming expedition, I'd expect we had a very specific goal in mind about how we were going to change this watery paradise. Now that we are on the planet, I'm unsure about how we could change this planet to be any more hospitable(other than making the leviathans extinct). The terraforming tool allows us to move soils around, so perhaps we are to make arable land? I can't imagine a way of lowering the sea level to expose wide swaths of land. Any ideas?

Comments

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I saw someone have an idea to acelerate the growth of floaters to make a new island. But I don't really think that massive terrain changes are what the devs really want us doing. The planet seems ok as it is, maby even more hospitable than earth.
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    Ya, thats what i was thinking. Which begs the question, why is a terraforming ship here?
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited May 2015
    Maybe the humanity didn't have proper means of confirming if the planet would be habitable just yet, so they sent a terraforming ship. The crew of Aurora would also have been the first people to start colonizing the planet, and their mission included researching lifeforms, finding ways to get food and building safe areas.
  • 0zman0zman Moon Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204539Members
    I think it would be neat if you could somehow move floater islands together to make larger chain islands
  • basher04basher04 Cw7 3jj Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204635Members
    Mabey there could be a spaceship,that takes a lot of materials to make and speshal launch pad,so that we can see what it was like before the crash.this is a idiea coming from a mantle 10 year old so I may as well have stayed my other idea that you could get donkeys.
  • 0zman0zman Moon Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204539Members
    we could repair the old spaceship instead basher
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Or swim under Aurora to stick floaters on it's under hull, until you reach critical mass and the Aurora becomes an island fully above water, ready for real repairs?
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    Or swim under Aurora to stick floaters on it's under hull, until you reach critical mass and the Aurora becomes an island fully above water, ready for real repairs?
    F yes. but it should take an ungodly amount of floaters.
  • bigredmuvilabigredmuvila australia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204621Members
    well i thought we were a colinisation ship set out to prep world for colinising, we might not need land this might be exactly same as our planet back home. i thought it was explore survive build a starting point for the next step to inhabiting this planet, 1 survive, 2 survey/research but dont destroy the eco system, 3 build livable habitat for next step (habitation)
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    the main concept of subnautica to explore an under-water-world is a simple and awesome one.

everything else around it seems to be patchwork. surviving,exploring,building, Terra-forming,colonization ... what will it be ? wish we knew more about the lore and background story.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited May 2015
    Repairing the 'Aurora'

Anyone ever see an old movie called 'Flight Of The Phoenix'? The original 1965 Jimmy Stewart version, not the 2004 remake, incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_the_Phoenix_(1965_film)

Same basic principle. Scavenge the 'Aurora' for parts, build a spaceworthy vessel, return to Alterra Corp and warn them to stay well clear of the planet in future.

That's one hell of a job already.

This decision (and rather satisfying end-game outcome) would be born of a crucial meeting with the sentient species that shot 'Aurora' down in the first place.
    They were fully aware of the Aurora's original (terraforming) purpose, and felt that it was necessary to preserve the planet's unique ecosystems at all costs.

It should be added that while they don't exactly regret this course of action, they are willing to allow the Survivor to return home bearing the Sentients' message:

DO NOT RETURN HERE. YOU WILL BE DESTROYED.

The trigger for this sequence of events occurs when the Survivor discovers the wreckage of an earlier Alterra survey mission in a particularly hazardous area.
    A Sea Emperor is guarding the wreckage, attended by several Reaper Leviathans. Somehow, the Survivor must make contact with the Sea Emperor in order to escape.

This is where all previous research on marine exobiology, navigation & mapping, underwater acoustic communication and defensive weapons comes into play.

Things get kind of interesting beyond this point...
    @Bugzapper
    • Please no conclusive endings. It wouldn't fit the survival theme of the game. Character being forced to leave is one of the lamest ideas imo.
    • Getting contact with sentient beings would ruin the feeling of being stranded.
    • I don't think we should be able to leave the planet on our own.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited May 2015
    @SalmonJEDI: Fair comment.

However, I get the impression that something on the planet shot the 'Aurora' down for a specific reason.

This implies that they are (a) intelligent, and (b) have access to planetary weapons, either organic like the Plasma Bugs of 'Starship Troopers' or technology-based.

I'm all in favour of the Survivor being entirely, utterly alone. That particular sensation changes the atmosphere of the game into something completely different from most survival games. Some folk might find it a bit too unsettling, though. Guess it depends on how deep they are willing to go (in a manner of speaking) while playing Subnautica.

Constructing an escape vessel from wreckage and harvested resources would be a massive undertaking. I see the project as entirely unlike building a Cyclops.
    There would be many sub-systems to build and integrate into a modular hull design that also needs to be researched first.

Conversely, it might be possible that the Survivor is given an opportunity to remain on the planet, provided that his/her actions have minimal impact on the ecosystem.
    Just imagine living under the perpetual threat of a species powerful enough to level even the most heavily-armoured structures one could possibly build.

Certainly wouldn't pay to be a bad neighbour.
    @Bugzapper
    Maybe there were sentient beings living on the planet, but they are now extinct. However, some of their machines are still functional, which would explain the pulse that destroyed Aurora. The pulse could also have a natural cause.
    I would like to have some kind of old ruins and foreign tech somewhere in the game, but meeting another sentient species doesn't fit in so well.
  • BingohasBingohas UK Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203667Members
    @Bugzapper

Perhaps an alternative could be repairing sections of the Aurora's hull and systems to make them a habitable base.
    This could include leveling it out with buoyancy devices and draining water, or welding holes in the hull shut. Would give something else to do after fixing the radiation leak.

But there is of course the risk of having it feel too safe and impenetrable, so there could be a creature with the intelligence or strength to destroy or enter the Aurora.

The same could apply to the on board systems, as I'm sure the Aurora must have a HUGE terraforming device, given it's original mission. Or industrial size fabricators/water treatment systems. Seeing as the starship's sole purpose was to make the planet habitable it would seem logical that the survivor would attempt to restore and recover some of the systems not destroyed in the explosion.

But this would need to require a hefty amount of resources and be a late-game thing to do, so the initial survival aspect is still there.
  • BingohasBingohas UK Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203667Members
    @SalmonJEDl
    @Bugzapper

The Warper is my best bet for a sentient, intelligent species. Visually it looks the most advanced, as it's clearly not built for combat, and in the concept art it is shown evading the player with a portal, showing it's intelligence. If I had to guess, I'd say that Warpers somehow shot down the Aurora.
    @Bingohas To me warper looks like a creature that would just wander around aimlessly and wouldn't give a s*** about anything ever. I mean, it would be kinda intelligent, but not really interested in what the player does. That's just the impression I get from it's looks, tho. :smiley:
    Of course, there are countless other scenarios involving a mysterious energy pulse. Weapons, time rifts, wormholes, planetary hivemind (remember the alien hivemind from alpha centauri?) The possibilities are deliciously mysterious!
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    SalmonJEDl wrote: »
    Please no conclusive endings. It wouldn't fit the survival theme of the game. Character being forced to leave is one of the lamest ideas imo.

Why not?
    One of the greatest sandbox ever created is "Star Control II" (probably the very first sandbox that inspired them all).
    And in that game, the player is free to go to any star in any order he wants, gather materials, speak to aliens and solve mysteries.
    But what he doesn't know is that certain events are triggered at certain time, (a fairly good chunk of time, like 1 year in-game) after which cascading events are happening faster and faster and you end up realizing you DON'T have infinite time and the crescendo brings you to the game ending.

You get BOTH the satisfaction of a fully free sandbox and the satisfaction of a tightly knit up story with a real ending - worth hundreds of hours of play before it ends.

No conclusive ending may be nice and all for the first 40 hours of gaming, even the first 100.
    But once you have crafted everything and explored everything, then what? You just end up getting bored and you stop playing?
    I like that alot. Perhaps even with multiple endings to encourage multiple play thrus. All of coarse soft endings that allow you to continue on in some respect (unless you blew the planet up or the planet regects your presence)
    The only kind of ending I've found plausible (for me) is that you'll get contact with the rest of humanity and they will send more terraformers. That would explain multiplayer, and also give a reason for the player to remain on the planet. The mission he went on isn't yet complete, but he has the possibility of leaving. You would have to disable the source of mysterious pulse that hit Aurora and maybe do other preparations first, so that way we'll have some story too.