The Will To Survive

Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
So, I survived a devastating crash upon an alien world. I took stock of what I had and began to look for food. I then collected resources to make tools that make getting food even easier. Then I sat back and wondered... "If I'm truly and totally alone... If everyone else died in the crash. What's the point of carrying on?". So, on that note alone, I feel there needs to be other survivors.

So I was wondering just what we could do if there were actually other survivors. The on-board computer for our escape pod probably wouldn't be able to detect survivors at a great distance (line of sight would be an issue, I'd assume, with no satellites). Crashing from orbit could leave escape pods littered around the globe.
Trying to track other survivors could be a big thing. From having to build a radio buoy network(or something similar) to listen for a radio signal. To triangulating their direction and location. Personally I feel it should be a tremendous undertaking to reach them, and have to travel a very long distance.

Once we find them what could we do? An obvious, albeit boring, voice would say trading, but what if we could rescue them from any number of horrendously dangerous perils and bring them with us. Even leave them aboard a sea base to make a sort of NPC town. That would give me lots of incentive to build and expand a sea base to huge proportions. Even the if resource collection was boring and grindy (or horrendously perilous), it would still be worth it to protect the few remaining people. What wouldn't you do to avoid being completely alone on an alien world? Plus it could give rise to many new base modules. I mean, we ARE here to colonize right?

Also, an idea about Energy Production and Weather

I know acid based batteries are cheap and easy to make, but not very efficient. I was thinking about giving the cyclops a large solar array that could be deployed once surfaced. Solar produces very little power so it would take quite a few days to recharge the battery banks, but that would give the player a very convenient reason to go exploring while waiting for it to recharge (maybe a week or two in-game). Perhaps the recharging would be delayed by storms, I'd think a world with only water would have some really wicked storms. Maybe even hurricane strength storms that would force the player under water to avoid huge waves and wind. Id hate to see my cyclops' solar array (or other devices) ripped off in gale force wind.

Comments

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    No, I don't think NPC's would be a good direction. If there are other survivors, then they will be part of multiplayer. And I for one would continue to survive just to see all the cool fish.
  • OxraiderOxraider Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204554Members
    Simking, i think exactly the same about those NPC's ! :D

i thougt the same at the very beginnig when i started playing this game

and i even made an account here just about now just to support your idea like u say it AND in hope the devs read this and do something about it with the NPC stuff u just wrote ! :D

keep the idea's coming simking !
    love it :D
  • Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
    edited May 2015
  • Dosidicus_gigasDosidicus_gigas Monterey, California Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204316Members
    I'm kind of iffy on NPCs, but I like addressing the idea that you are all alone. It occurred to me as well that the character we play must being going through some serious mental trauma right now.

So how's this for a middle ground.

It's a colony ship right? In a lot of sci-fi, colony ships will only have a small crew awake and active during the voyage. Most of the people on-board would be in some form of suspended animation. And thanks to the stasis rifle, we already know humanity has discovered stasis technology.

So let's say that when the ship was hit by the "mysterious energy pulse" one or more blocks of stasis pods full of colonists were knocked loose. Maybe they fell out of the ship before it crashed but close enough to the ocean surface to not be destroyed on impact, and then sank into the depths. You wake up in your escape pod, the computer detected no life signs on the Aurora because the stasis pods on-board catastrophically failed for some reason, and the game begins as it already does.

However...

As you explore the computer starts detecting faint energy traces consistent with functioning stasis pods. And so you begin to search for other survivors.

If it's rescuing people in stasis pods, then the dev team doesn't have to develop human NPCs if they don't want to, but it still gives the player hope that he won't be alone forever. Just say that the stasis pods are in emergency lock down mode because of the crash, and you lack the means to override it. If the devs decide to put NPCs in the game, they can just add a new fragment as well that gives you the ability to override the lock down status.

There could still be other people who reached an escape pod just like you. They'd be other players in multiplayer mode.
    Im just trying to ensure our poor protagonist isn't left alone for eternity. Hell if you told me I was preparing a complete flora and fauna study in preparation of another ship that will be arriving in the near future, id feel like I had a purpose and less alone.
  • Dosidicus_gigasDosidicus_gigas Monterey, California Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204316Members
    So I went back and listened to the opening story again, mostly to confirm that it did specifically call it a "mysterious" energy pulse, and discovered that the Aurora is not in fact a colony ship but a terraforming ship sent ahead of the real colony ships. So maybe my stasis pod idea is kind of sunk, and as it turns out there probably is another ship on the way.

Of course this sets up the need to eventually investigate the origins of the energy pulse as if it happens to the colony ship that's coming after us, were going to have a lot of dead colonists on our hands.

• SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited May 2015
    If I remember correctly, we are in the age of early colonization. Humanity spotted this planet, and send Aurora to terraform it to be more suitable for large amount of people. I think better idea for multiplayer is that you can eventually build communication systems to contact the rest of humanity, informing them about what happened. After investigating the 'mysterious energy pulse' and disabling it, and maybe after constructing landing site for small spaceships, other people would come to the planet to continue the terraforming mission. Other people meaning multiplayer support. I don't like the idea of NPCs.
    I would think that the colony ship would not arrive after the Aurora did not report back. It makes sense to me that a terraforming ship would go to a planet, check if it was suitable, make sure that there were no dangers (such as mysterious death rays) and then the colony ship would come.
    @sayerulz Yeah there probably aren't colony ships launched after terraforming ships before they received a complete report and are thus sure that the planet is inhabitable.
  • ozzyboy341ozzyboy341 London Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204569Members
    Just randomly saying when i start the game on steam it comes up with cannot start game missing executable and verifying the game cache doesn't work it just says all the files are verified
    help plz
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The Aurora was an advanced colony ship, sent forwards to start the colonisation of the planet for when the next wave of colonists appear.

The will to survive comes from knowing that you are setting the ground for the colonists that are still on their way.

I really hope there are no NPC's added to the game that are of the same race as the player.
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    There is undoubtedly another ship on the way. Even if we allow for the idea of future tech being able to artificially create and stabilize wormholes (Makes way more scientific sense than faster than light travel) It could still take several years to arrive at the planet. Therefore the colony ship would be dispatched a year or two behind the terraformer ship (Aurora) The construction workers would have the basic necessities laid out by the time the colony ship arrives.

The problem with another ship being on the way, is the question of whether we get rescued or not. Personally, I would want some kind of optional rescue, perhaps only available for a certain window of time. This would allow for the Roleplayers to play a character who either wants to go home or has gone so feral he refuses to go home.

Meanwhile those who would like to test themselves and play the hard way can use the time-frame between crashing and rescue to see how much they can get done. But I like the idea of it being optional. I mean... Look at stranded deep, you can only explore so many shipwrecks before you've seen it all.
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    I would like the ship to come and rescue you, but it would be like the ending of minecraft. You finish the game and the credits start rolling. Then you can click a button to get back to where you finished or just think that you won and leave.
    Punkero wrote: »
    I would like the ship to come and rescue you, but it would be like the ending of minecraft. You finish the game and the credits start rolling. Then you can click a button to get back to where you finished or just think that you won and leave.

I don't like the idea of conclusive ending. If other people get to the planet, I'd prefer they come to complete the terraforming mission assigned to Aurora, not just to get you off. Also, I'd prefer if the next ship wouldn't just come on it's own, but you'd have to contact it first.
  • 0zman0zman Moon Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204539Members
    If another ship comes it should crash and become an event
    0zman wrote: »

It could be similar to Fallout. I don't know how many people have played the original Fallout from 1997, but (spoilers inbound)
    When you start you're released from the Vault with a 150 day time limit to find water, otherwise everyone in the vault will die due to lack of water. You can neglect this mission and allow everyone to die, and can still play and complete the game, or you can save them.

Basically the ship rescuing you can be one of two things, you either locate and remove the source of the energy pulses, thereby allowing the ship to land and rescue you (With a button to continue playing afterwards like in minecraft) or it crashes, becomes a new wreck for you to explore, and thereby consigns you to life on the planet alone forever.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I like that you are the sole survivor of the crash (at least until a multiplayer option is added). I like the feeling of loneliness and survival. But what I like most of it is that you are here alone trying to figure out how this world - unlike any world we already knows - works. How the ecology and creatures relates. What harms or poison or feeds you. (not all fishes should be edible by the way!). Each time you meet a milestone, you could hear yourself recording your journal, some notes you take in hope of helping the colonization team once they arrive to rescue you. And as the game progress, maybe you get to realize that there is *intelligent* sea life in there and that maybe it's not such a perfect world for colonization... or is it?
    Kodasa wrote: »
    0zman wrote: »

It could be similar to Fallout. I don't know how many people have played the original Fallout from 1997, but (spoilers inbound)
    When you start you're released from the Vault with a 150 day time limit to find water, otherwise everyone in the vault will die due to lack of water. You can neglect this mission and allow everyone to die, and can still play and complete the game, or you can save them.

Basically the ship rescuing you can be one of two things, you either locate and remove the source of the energy pulses, thereby allowing the ship to land and rescue you (With a button to continue playing afterwards like in minecraft) or it crashes, becomes a new wreck for you to explore, and thereby consigns you to life on the planet alone forever.

I don't think conclusive ending is good for the game, even if there are two or more possible outcomes. I can't really explain why I feel like this, but it feels kind of lame to put an end to the story. The character initially came to the planet for terraforming, but a conclusive ending would eliminate the reason for him being there. And why would someone go there just to rescue a single person? We should continue the terraformin mission, and maybe get other people to help us on that.
  • KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
    I don't like the idea of a ship rescuing you, I would think the only thing that should happen would be they send more people to help with the terraform (multiplayer). Npcs would make the game feel not so much about exploration anymore cause if you add npcs that trade or set up in your sea base and trade, to me its like "you guys are jacking my shit and selling it to me cause you had none of this when i saved you", And if these survivors when to scavenge their own stuff where did they get the suits and tanks to do it in the first place, I feel like NPCs would only make sense if you could get them rescued or saved yourself.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There will be no 'Rescue'.

You are colonizing this planet. This is your new home. When the new ship arrives, it will be with the next batch of colonists.

I think the point is though, that they never actually arrive while playing the game, when you finish 'playing' is when the ground is ready and the ship comes. I think the purpose of the game itself it always to be played as a single-player, no friend-npc game.
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    My take on the intro is that it isn't a colony ship, but an advanced exploration vessel, which would be expected to have minimal crew with a large portion of mechanical/robotic devices for surveying etc

So, yes company would be great.. as multiplayer.. maybe.. although the idea of some random guy logging into my game and either a: smashing all my stuff and logging out or else rampaging around making advanced weapons and generally ruining the game isn't really my idea of fun. A coop with 2-3 mates I've invited.. well that's maybe more like what I'd like to see. Can they add this before release.. unlikely.

So in the intrim.. yes I'd like some company. Maybe a body for the ai.. maybe a little repair/gathering droid that collects specimins which could also be programmed to collect salt or fish or anything really.. lithium or silver..

It's quite amazing what a simple companion can do for a player in a single player game, even just a mule.. I remember playing Dungeon Siege and before you got any npc companions, you got a mule to carry your stuff around and for alot of the game, it was just me and my mule.

I don't think it would be hard to program a simple companion into the game. If they can make a stalker be your friend.. I'm sure they can add a little swimmy floaty robot.
    I dont think there should be trading npc's but i do think you should be able to rescue npc's and settle them in bases. I cant see how this could possibly take away from the game in any way. Why is everyone so fervently against npc's? Being the only human on an entire planet would suck so badly.
    Simking124 wrote: »
    I dont think there should be trading npc's but i do think you should be able to rescue npc's and settle them in bases. I cant see how this could possibly take away from the game in any way. Why is everyone so fervently against npc's? Being the only human on an entire planet would suck so badly.

That's kind of the point.
    The point is for it to suck badly?
    Simking124 wrote: »
    The point is for it to suck badly?

The point is to be alone. It's what really hammers home the survival aspect, and causes you to wonder why you're surviving at all. Hence this thread. It forces you to undergo a moral dilemma, and it makes you yearn for company like you would if you were in the characters situation, it's designed to immerse you in the feeling of being a stranded survivalist. Much like stranded deep is.
  • MurigoMurigo Italy Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204007Members
    No, npc's aren't that much of a good idea. They would be something like Lydia of Skyrim. Boring, Annoying... only useful in combat, which IS NOT a feature of this game. Making a decent NPC for a survival game like this would be very hard and would take a LOT of time. I think that we should just wait for multiplayer if we want company in our underwater adventures.
    Yea, or they could end up like minecraft NPCs: useless, give terrible trades, and always die. Multiplayer? yes. NPCs? No.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    i also think npc are not important in this game.
    but the player should be able to find other escape-pods with the bodies of other unlucky crew members.that would add to immersion.
    Fair enough about the npc's. As for companionship and defeating loneliness, perhaps an AI that you craft and give a personality or a pet bird that lands on your rescue pod and just kinda follows you around from then on? (Or if it gets annoying, you can have fried chicken one night lol) Just looking at light hearted ways to defeat the castaway mentality depression.