Can't even play the game now.

2»

Comments

• Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    @JacobT15 there are 30 comments on this thread right now. about of those are people trying to help
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Fireclaw wrote: »
    And won't even let me dismiss it. Defuq/

If that window cannot be dismissed, there's a bug in there. Could you please send a log file to hugh @ unknownworlds . com ? Here's a guide to doing that: http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864&insideModal=1

Even if your PC does not meet minimum specs, you should be able to dismiss the warning. Though the game will likely run poorly and crash if minimum specs are not met.

I'm very concerned by this issue. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to jump into this thread. If you ever see stuff like this, that is stopping people playing the game, please feel free to tweet me @hugh_jeremy, that will usually get my attention quick smart!
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    Thanks for the response @Hugh. Am I able to email you instead? I don't have a Twitter.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @Fireclaw May I ask what resolution you are running the game at (if you know off hand)?
    @Comprox

I've tried them all. 1280x720, 1360x768 and 1366x768 (if that's what you mean) all with minimum or recomended graphics quality and all the same result.

• Cataclysm315Cataclysm315 United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-05-05 Member: 204190Members
    Have you tried re-installing the game? I know it's a nightmare and can take a while but it might be just what you need to do. Otherwise, I would wait for the next update or try and step up your hardware if you can scrape some money together. If you need help finding the right parts I wouldn't mind lending a hand :)
    Have you tried re-installing the game? I know it's a nightmare and can take a while but it might be just what you need to do.

I may try that actually. I gotta leave today so I may uninstall it then let it reinstall while I'm gone.
  • Cataclysm315Cataclysm315 United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-05-05 Member: 204190Members
    Have you tried re-installing the game? I know it's a nightmare and can take a while but it might be just what you need to do.

I may try that actually. I gotta leave today so I may uninstall it then let it reinstall while I'm gone.

Awesome, let us know how it goes? :)

Awesome, let us know how it goes? :)

Nope. No go =/

So I guess I'll just have to put up with watching Splattercat on Youtube play for a while until they fix it. Whenever that'll be. :s

• ElRodeoElRodeo UK Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204362Members
    I just stumbled across this game on steam and was browsing here to see if there will be multiplayer support before buying and then I saw this post, it reminds me of an old problem with video codecs I used to have on some games.

Does Subnautica have an introduction or branding video that usually plays upon start?

If so one (maybe more) of many things may have happened (4 given below):-
    1. You may have recently downloaded or updated your video playback codecs to allow new file types to be played.
    2. The devs may have updated their game start video in a stable release which was then changed or reverted in the unstable build.
    3. Your codecs may have become corrupt.
    4. A game setting may be interfering with the start up of the game.

A codec basically decodes the data from a video file to be presented on screen as something you can understand as a picture, if this codec is not correct or has been corrupted over time then the window will typically lock up and give the "not responding" signal.

If you run windows 7 I'd just give this codec pack a try and see if it gets you any further - download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10965840.html

If not there may be a configuration file saved inside your user profile folder that has a bad setting for the stable build and will not allow the game to start, as I do not have the game I cannot give the correct location to find this but I'm sure someone here may be able to help, this usually will not be deleted when reinstalling the game because it is not in the game folder, try renaming this file and when you run the game again it will usually rebuild this file with default settings and start like the first time you ran the game, hopefully saves intact.

I hope this helps, best of luck!
    ElRodeo wrote: »
    I just stumbled across this game on steam and was browsing here to see if there will be multiplayer support before buying and then I saw this post, it reminds me of an old problem with video codecs I used to have on some games.

Does Subnautica have an introduction or branding video that usually plays upon start?

If so one (maybe more) of many things may have happened (4 given below):-
    1. You may have recently downloaded or updated your video playback codecs to allow new file types to be played.
    2. The devs may have updated their game start video in a stable release which was then changed or reverted in the unstable build.
    3. Your codecs may have become corrupt.
    4. A game setting may be interfering with the start up of the game.

A codec basically decodes the data from a video file to be presented on screen as something you can understand as a picture, if this codec is not correct or has been corrupted over time then the window will typically lock up and give the "not responding" signal.

If you run windows 7 I'd just give this codec pack a try and see if it gets you any further - download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10965840.html

If not there may be a configuration file saved inside your user profile folder that has a bad setting for the stable build and will not allow the game to start, as I do not have the game I cannot give the correct location to find this but I'm sure someone here may be able to help, this usually will not be deleted when reinstalling the game because it is not in the game folder, try renaming this file and when you run the game again it will usually rebuild this file with default settings and start like the first time you ran the game, hopefully saves intact.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

o-o

I think I'll just wait til they patch the game xD.

As far as I known, Subnautica doesn't have a video at start up, but it does have a voice intro. However, that shouldn't matter, because Primal Carnage extinction has a video when you start the game and my computer runs it just fine.
  • ElRodeoElRodeo UK Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204362Members
    Fair enough, thought I'd see if it was the same problem I had seen a while back.

Just to clarify, any kind of logo with sound is usually a video using a codec, different video types use different codecs which would mean if just one codec is broken you may still be able to play a high percentage of videos in games whilst others will not work at all.

e.g. Primal Carnage may use an mp4 video which is a global standard and plays fine on your computer, Subnautica may use something different just for the little voice intro bit at the start (Div-x, FFD, WMV, AVI,MPG.. there are lots of choices each with their own merits), if you can hear the video play but cant see it then it would usually mean a problem with the direct draw part of the codec.

I hope the next patch clears it up for you :)
    Stiiiill can't play o3o patiently waiting for the next patch and or update. I'm sure there are other people unable to play as well, so you'd think they'd get a jump on it.