Can't even play the game now.

FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
Apparently, My GPU (what even is that? I don't computers) isn't up to standard with Subnauticas "minimum" requirements now.

So I can't even play, it sits at this screen. nr739q8pbcor.jpg

And won't even let me dismiss it. Defuq/
gpu.JPG 46.6K

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited May 2015
    post dxdiag for the devs to look into?

or what your card is and it's specs for that matter.
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members

Wut? lol.

Like I said, I don't computers :D So I have *no* idea what any of that means.(I barely know how to turn the dang thing on LOL)

All I do know is that I can play in experimental just fine and I was always able to play before this update.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    2cough wrote: »
    Do you run a 32 bit system?

Pretty sure it's 64bit.

• ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    edited May 2015

What this person said haha.

The easiest way to find out your GPU is from this post:

Click Here...

Once DxDiag has launched, you can click on the "Display" tab and it will tell you what GPU you have.

Or...

Or Click Here...

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited May 2015
    I believe that dialog is just a warning. You can close it if you want and continue on. The game wouldn't even start anymore if you run 32 bit windows - so that's not a worry.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    Fireclaw wrote: »

Wut? lol.

Like I said, I don't computers :D So I have *no* idea what any of that means.(I barely know how to turn the dang thing on LOL)

All I do know is that I can play in experimental just fine and I was always able to play before this update.

They're asking if your computer has a graphics card (made by either Nvidia or AMD) and what it is. If you type in 'DXDiag.exe" in the search bar in the windows start menu, you can pull up the technical info which helps people see what hardware you have.

Not all computers have a dedicated graphics card. Most laptops and a number of computers have the main processor (CPU, eg, Intel) handle the drawing of graphics. This is called 'integrated graphics', and is typically not good for 3d gaming. This may be important because they changed how the game engine works moving from the older Unity 4 engine to the new Unity 5 engine, which could possibly make or break the game if you're running an old or integrated graphics setup.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2015
    Well it is 64-bits, but that Radeon 6310 is not a 3D gaming card. But if you were able to play before. I dunno what happened, maybe the 64-bits switch does have more of an impact besides CPU/OS lockout?

Required: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+550+Ti/review
    ^
    | Switched these two, based on futuremark scores...
    v
    Recommended: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/Intel+HD+Graphics+4600/review

What you have: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+6310/review

Sidenote:

@Hugh, do you lads have the video card requirements mixed up here? http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/, it seems that Intel HD4600 is superior to the GTX 550 on futuremark? Yet that last one is the recommended spec :D
    Yep. Dunno what I'll do then, because I don't exactly have that kind of money to buy a better graphics card p_p
  • Mshelp19Mshelp19 Cananda Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202441Members
    hey bud, can you just close that window? just try playing it as you did before maybe it wont be to bad. who knows
  • KILLTHISKILLTHIS Germany Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204051Members
    Welp, I guess there's not much you can do about this.

Your GPU (Graphic Processing Unit, AKA Graphics Card) is not strong enough, at least that's what Subnautica's telling you. But you can't upgrade it, due to the fact that you own a Notebook (and let's face that, changing the graphics unit in those isn't nearly as easy as it is for a computer) so you probably need a new Notebook or Computer in order to get the power you need.
    I'm afraid there's little you can do about it as any other solution would probably just won't do as good.
    Mshelp19 wrote: »
    hey bud, can you just close that window? just try playing it as you did before maybe it wont be to bad. who knows

No I cannot. Every time I try it does the whole "Subnautica not responding thing

"avdtzpgbna9r.jpg

Not.JPG 23.9K
  • JacobT15JacobT15 United States Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204125Members
    Same issue here. Before the latest update I could run the game quite well, despite my GPU not being all that great. Consistently get around 25-30fps throughout the game. Now, post update, I get around 10fps swimming around, and 2-5 when at the surface or inside the Cyclops. I also get the GPU warning on launch.

Specs:
    i5 2410M 4x 2.3GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GT 525M 1GB DX11
    8GB RAM
    64bit Windows 7

The game doesn't ever crash, but is so slow as to be completely unplayable. Whatever this update did, it really messed performance up for me.
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't have an issue with it if I could actually play the game. Because it was pretty slow for me anyway, but not so slow it wasn't still enjoyable.

I mean, it won't even load the loading screen now, I can hear the music, but the screen is white until the warning screen pops up.
    Have you tried letting the game sit for a while without clicking the warning screen? Just let it sit for about half an hour, if it doesn't work, kill it, try again. Took me about 3 tries to get past that screen, but letting it work things out worked in the end. Problem then was the awful performance.
    I'm going to the store here in a little bit, I may start it up and see what happens when I get back, I'll be gone for about a half an hour or so. It just sucks, I really wanna play with the reapers D=
  • treehuggerpersontreehuggerperson Somewhere Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203190Members
    Something to get to make subnautica run better and faster is razor game booster, once installed change to game mode and launch subnautica
  • treehuggerpersontreehuggerperson Somewhere Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203190Members
    When you finish playing turn it back to nornal
    Something to get to make subnautica run better and faster is razor game booster, once installed change to game mode and launch subnautica

But I feel the bigger issue here is why should that be required? The latest update was meant to make things run smoother, but instead it's simply unplayable.
    Are you on experimental builds??
    If you are then maybe you should go back to the stable build, if you aren't then you should try and switch to experimental, maybe they fixed it in those newer builds
    I can play experimental just fine.

It's the regular game I can't play.

I left it running while I went to the store (about 40 minutes) and I still couldn't get past that warning screen.

This is getting irritating, I paid 20$ for a game I can't even play now.
    @Fireclaw If you can play experimental "just fine" but want to play on the "regular" release, then wait until the next regular release is out, as it should contain all experimental fixes and more. Otherwise, just play the experimental version - and if you find an experimental version that you like, turn off automatic updates for Subnautica in steam and stick with that version until the next regular release.

All this said, you paid for an in-development game. It will get better, and UWE works hard to fix any issues that players report. Have patience.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I wonder if this has something to do with the Unity 4 to Unity 5 switch in the last update.
    What I want to be able to do is play the actual game, not play experimental lol. I want to be able to explore the aurora and piss my pants when I get attacked by a Reaper o3o.
    Racer1 wrote: »

All this said, you paid for an in-development game. It will get better, and UWE works hard to fix any issues that players report. Have patience.

Yes, however you miss the point. This particular update was meant to make game play *better*, when, my computer ran the game just fine before, no crashes, no lagging, nothing, but with the "better" gameplay update, came the fact that it won't even run, which suggests to me that it's not even my computer that is the problem, it's the game itself.

My computer runs other relatively high resolution games like Primal Carnage, minecraft and Shelter2 just fine.
    Did you see the latest update UWE made? Something messed up with the terrain on a small percentage of computers. In other words, a bug was introduced to the release. Do you think they did that on purpose? Of course not. Same is true for your problem. UWE works hard to make their releases as robust as possible - but at the same time have to keep moving forward with new feature development. Its not an easy balancing, and never perfect. That's the nature of it. Again, have patience.
    Experimental is what you will have to run, until they release a new update that isn't experimental
    I don't understand why the reporting of an issue like this is met with such unhelpfulness. Yes, the game is in development, yes, it's an early access title and bugs will be introduced into the releases. But ultimately it's not as though the players are at fault when they report on an issue, especially one that seems to be pretty major.