Pay for Mods...? PC Gamer article RE Combat

AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
Interesting read, see below the first guy for the response from NS2 combat

http://www.pcgamer.com/two-modders-weigh-in-on-paid-mods/

Comments

• NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    edited May 2015
    Wow I feel sorry for him. His view of what happened is so jaded and biased that he didn't appear to learn anything from failure. He has found it easy to shift the blame to the consumer. I would have like to see Combat succeed just as much as the next guy, but he seems clueless. Better to blame it on "well nobody wants to pay for a mod" than to admit to marketing, strategy, and gameplay shortcomings. Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Edit: This line from the article is pretty funny. They (UWE) thought it was the best idea ever to give their most popular mod a chance at the very same thing. Most popular is a bit misleading. Before it went standalone, there were maybe one or two populated servers than ran the Combat mod. Sure it was kinda fun (and super buggy most of the times), but its popularity never screamed out that it had a sufficient audience to go standalone.

Sorry for beating the horse again.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel for thomas and can understand his disappointment.
    However: to blame the failure of combat on the NS2 community (= his main paying costumerbase in the 1st place) is just silly.

I payed good money for combat, played it a few times, and did not like it.
    My review (which i didnt make) would have been something like "better just buy NS2 and play that".
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I bought a bunch of copies and gifted them around to some NS2 friends that wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I mean, I bought it because I wanted more to play regular NS2 and I saw combat as a hope for that. So yea, I wish it was integrated into NS2, but I don't know much, I figured it could have just launched a different engine. Why not make it a $10 paid DLC and still split earnings the same?

At the end of the day it's not like NS2 itself even had the playerbase. But I didn't like combat in NS1 either, simply saw it as a way to have more exposure to the game-mode I did like. I don't think paid mods are a bad thing, I mean I still buy CDs sometimes, listen to them once, shelve them, and then use spotify.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2015
    my main issues with ns2-combat had nothing to do with UWE.

.i prefer the uniqueness of ns2 and its strategy top down combined with fps style.
    .whilst i really enjoyed the new additions to ns2 world via ns2-combat i just felt like their wasnt enough of a difference.
    .the leveling up resulted in weapons feeling weak and underpowered if you were behind
    .dying and keeping your equipment meant death never really felt like a punishment. even in quake you would lose the weapons you had found.
    .the levels themselves whislt fun to play felt overall like levels from a mod instead of a fully fledged game with a couple of exceptions.
    .i felt as though more could have been done to emphasis strategy instead of mindless slaughter, commanders werent needed but i would have rather the resource capture and build than leveling up through kills.
    .no major new additions like new alien lifeforms or exo suits/ vehicles.
    . the population was also very low, my plan was to laod up ns2-c for abit of fun every now and then but the fact that i had to exit ns2 to load up ns2-c specifically meant i often found a game of ns2 to play instead. Had the servers been listed with ns2 servers i would have played ns2-c a lot more.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sad story... but well, there is and was no demand for a stand alone version of ns2:combat, at least not for this price.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I personally have no problems with the idea of paying for mods, but it was orchestrated very poorly. It should have been up to the first party developer to approve mods to prevent copyright and plagerism issues and modders should have gotten at least a >50% cut, 25% is just hurtful.

As for combat, yes it should have been a paid mod/dlc. That's obviously why it failed, having to install and start a whole different game just to play a variation of one game is a freakin drag and gamers are lazy (Myself included).

That said, the reason I didn't buy it was because it doesn't run on Linux. Which of course it would have if it were a dlc.

I think buddy just blames the community for the failure because the reaction was so strong and so negative. If I try to put myself in his shoes I can totally see how that would be really consuming. It must be super hurtful to have all the people who you worked hard for to please tell you that your time, work and soul isn't worth anything.

Internet, gamers and entitlement. The world keeps spinning.
  • corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    I think if your mod is really popular (hundreds of thousands of downloads) it will be easy to find way to monetize it or just get money from investors and make standalone game.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    Join empty server >> Server auto switch Combat mode

After 8 player connect and play for awhile >> Switch back server to NS2 vanilla

I wish developers can work on this to help players can "Warm up" round when join empty server

Or Add bot when you join empty server >> When players connect will -1 bot and replace player slot
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    they made a game for which there was really no market for at a price-point that wasn't commensurate with the value of the gameplay.

Why didn't I buy the game? Because I watched the pre-release streaming of the game and realized that I wouldn't do well in the game. I'm not skilled enough to compete in a kill based progression system.
  • nemonemo Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11908Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hard work doesn't mean value. I spent a year developing a novel client side encryption secure file transfer service (years before mega). It totally flopped because I didn't understand my market.

NS2:Combat was risky playing with an established IP. They also didn't consider the pareto principle (the 80/20 rule). Because of this they didn't realise that the NS2 Combat mod provided 80% of the value, for 20% of the development investment. Which meant their product (which was superior to the mod) was only perceived as having slightly more value. Insufficient to sway the NS2 community, lack of marketing meant they didn't even reach new players.

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    There's a significant difference between a standalone mod or even dlc like what happened in mount and blade and what valve/beth was trying to do with skyrim. Mainly that theres no guarantee of quality or function with the 2nd, the % is set in stone and theres possibility for mod theft with no recourse other than an extremely flawed DMCA system.

You can go on and on all day about how you think people should deserve to get money for their "work" but unless that work has a reasonable guarantee to stay compatible with the game, receive continued support, and not be shit, i really have no interest in ever paying for your 5$ sword texture.

There's a little thing called the open source community, the bane of free market money makes everything better evangalists, some people forget that large mod communities are already a functioning version of that. Why would you ever want to move away from such a system instead of reinforcing it through pay what you want systems like code bounties, bandcamp or the humble bundle or anything really is beyond me. People are shortsighted i guess.

The guy in the article is obviously biased, his arguments arent even based on reason so there's not much to even argue against, just his feels. Also pointing out that people are completely fine with paying for good "mods" that become more than just mods, look at NS2, killing floor, half of valve's games, just not his.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    With the right marketing NS2:Combat should work, It is a fun game. I bought it for me and my friends and we had a brilliant time playing, it was easy to drop in and out of due to a great XP boost system.

I've suggested it many times, NS2:Combat would work better as FTP with skin pack DLC, and loading screen adverts to produce revenue.

Out of curiosity what price point seems about right for paying for mods?

£0.99 ? £4.99 ? £9.99 ?
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Depends on what the mod does. If it's horse armor, or cosmetic, or an overhaul. or a total conversion or even a ten hour total conversion, those things can change what a user values it as.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I actually thought about it for a while and decided we are better of with mods being free. To understand this viewpoint lets look back as how I reached this point in time.

Mods and DLC
    Mods are modifications to a game which are unofficial, the official version being DLC. There is not much true distinction between the two beyond this. It is therefore not a big leap to look at how DLC are today and imagine a similar situation with mods, would payed mods become a thing.

DLC can be seen in content vs cost.
    • What kind of content do I get?
    • How long will this content last me, what is its life expectancy and replay value?
    • How much does it cost?

This can lead us to various groups of DLC.

Cosmetic but useless
    The best and most acceptable DLC assuming a few things are taken into account:
    • Low cost
    • Enough base value in a game, so the game is finished and not to bland. (aka not 500 different armours to DLC while the game only has a mere 5.)
    • Absolutely useless except on looks.

Partially useless, mainly cosmetic, pay for ease.
    Still usually accepted, this variant is a payed variant of a item usually already in game. So instead of a black gun, its gold. The original item is not super hard to get, having both a good access to the item in game as well as the DLC.
    1. Low cost.
    2. Is not better then the original item in terms of power.
    3. Is not easier to get. (So not a hard to get ingame item, and not having it in DLC before you can reasonably acquire it ingame.

A example of this is what they do with "Anno 2080" and various items. You can buy DLC items like a certain sub. However its free ingame counterpart can be aquired by completing a, quite easy, global event. Global events repeat.

The 'dont lag behind' items.
    These are items you do not truly NEED to win the game, but will greatly benefit your progress if you do. Imagine items which increase a rested status on your character ingame to speed up experience gain.
    Players without if will eventually get there, but will lag behind by design.

A less excepted DLC / shop item.

Pay to win
    The most reviled and known variant. It boils down to 'buy OP item, have better chance to win.

While it will be harder to make mods which belong in the later 2 categories, as it pretty much involved making game mods, its not unrealistic to think such mods could be made.
    There will always be someone who does not realise in time that its a 'pay to win' game, rather then a cosmetic game.

So DC, you have been talking about DLC.. but I (the reader), do not see enough of a resemblance. Talk about mods already!
    A fair point. so lets continue.

I have some mods on the workshop. Lets look at the most popular mod I have, which is my crosshair mod.
    • Its made for me.
    • I put it on just in case anyone else would like it.
    • I edit it to my needs and no one else. Although I dont mind editing stuff if I have no problems with the outcome.

Now imagine for a moment the following:
    • I would put a pricetag on this mod. Lets say a mere euro.
    • Having a few hundred paying subscribers in, I would change my own alien vision due to personal need, and realise... my crosshair does not match the AVs colouring. Its counter-productive.
    • I change the mod.

Now what would happen? What do I myself think would happen?
    • People who do not like the new colour complain to change it back because after all 'they payed for the old product'.
    • If I do change it back, anyone who got it after now has payed for the 'old but not that old' product and wants my new colour.
    • If I make a new version of the mod and make one colour free, people who did not get it for free will complain.
    • If I make neither version free, the ones who have to reacquire complain.
    • If I make both free, the ones who payed complain.

Support
    Obviously I could think of TOS before I put on a price, but... would it be worth the effort? The hassle?
    • If it somehow breaks, do you have time to fix it?
    • Can you fix it? Do you know how?
    • Is it fixable?
    • etc etc..

Let mods be mods, else just release as a new game.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    You forget to mention expansion-pack DLCs.

There are people who revile all forms of DLC, even that. Cosmetics are seen as a show of greed and cheapen the game, expansion content is automatically assumed to be stripped from the base game or else better off were it to have been included in the first place, and I shouldn't need to get into paying for power, but many people consider "pay to not grind" to be a form of it.

And just to make my point clear; if you want to see the excessive damage of cosmetic DLC just look at hat fortress 2. The game that was no longer is, and what you have now is a game where the players get angry if you try to play, to say nothing of the fubar aesthetics.

On the topic of Combat, my personal concern for that was that it would fracture the already dwindling playerbase. Players might move on to combat, and even if they were to quickly tire of it they might not move back to NS2. A great example of this happening is with Unreal Tournament 3. Most of the UT2k4 playerbase moved on to UT3, but when they found UT3 lacking they never moved back. UT2k4 is a ghost town now other than the 24/7 rankin (demo) servers, but it was going very strong right until the release of UT3. Starcraft 2 is another example. Starcraft is now totally dead, though starcraft 2 has managed to scrape by it has nothing of the formers glory. Granted those are both sequels where Combat is a spinoff, but it was my fear nonetheless.

• _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited May 2015
    It depends on the mods. Most mods are small, sometimes pointless creations that took 30 minutes to make. However, there are some mods that take a team of skilled coders/artists months if not years to make, and as pointed out in Worker Continues thread, time definitely is money. Yes, nobody asked the modders to make their mods and for a time they were happy making them for free, but when given the chance to profit a bit off the hard work and sacrifice (yes sacrifice, because dedicating months of your time to something is indeed a sacrifice, even if it's voluntary), the gaming community showed it was a self-entitled 8 year old who wanted everyone's work for free. All while dishing out money for crap skin packs to AAA titles, and for.....old hl1 mods that you now have to buy *cough* Ricochet *cough*.

Of course there would have to be some sort of oversight developed and a quality/support mechanism implemented for mods, but it's the reaction from the community that's disheartening. I hope something is worked out, or all the good mods will probably end up going this way.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    ...I hope something is worked out, or all the good mods will probably end up going this way.
    off topic but I can't believe some users are telling modders to stop modding if they want to charge. What kind of backward ass world do they live in? Users don't DESERVE mods for free.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I actually did not forget expansions.. I just see them as expansions and not DLC.. Yes, these days its often the same.. But lets keep some distinguisment from a big pack like a expansion and a small thing like a dlc.

I have made mods in the past, not just for NS2. ive made models, hell ive even animated my own models entire custom skeleton from scretch. Nothing says ouch like doing 150+ animations to put up a model and hope they dont add more. :p

I still think however that modding in essence is volunteer work and yes I truly do realise that almost noone donates and that its a thankless job. Going on mod strikes will do nothing, people shall either complain or not care. Ive been spending way to much time in thankless jobs (mostly support) to know that people do not care, nor will.
    A good example is the CDT.. How much bile do they receive? More then they should, from what I can see. And yet its nothing compared to more popular games.
    But changing how people react on the internet in general, not just with expecting free mods, is a whole different topic.

Do not misunderstand my view of free mods as me saying payed mods have 0 right to exist.. I am saying however there are many questions / problem in need to be solved before it would be a viable solution. (going completely insane with cosmetic stuff like TF2 is obviously something to be weary of also.)

As for combat SA... I got it, I saw potential. What broke it for me were some annoyances which should never ever ever have made it into live.
    Mainly server performance (or lack thereof), no official servers (see previous comment), and some sound issues which seemed... wrong.
    There was also a very unintuitive or bugged ui thing in terms of upgrades.

In the end I do think the 80/20 comment was a good one. Yes combat SA is superior to the mod, but most people simply do not believe its superior enough to warrant the money.
    Although if they fixed all of the above & people are playing, I would still play combat SA if I had time.. which I have, rarely.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited May 2015
    The vast majority of mods definitely shouldn't have the option to charge. Paid mods doesn't work on the model that most mods are both developed and used. Most heavily modded games are done in such a way that you want 20-100 mods active at once, and if modders charged for all of those then even at .50 cents each you would be paying more for the mods than the game.

The simplest solution is not to provide a supporting service. Only particularly large and desirable mods should even think about charging. Combat is a good example, an entire gameplay mode complete with maps is on the low end of the minimum requirements, though it also deserved its failure in the end as well. Other mods that would be acceptable to charge for would be Nehrim for oblivion, or Tamriel Rebuilt for morrowind (though currently as early-alpha), or of course even Natural Selection 1.

With no support service, like what the steam workshop did, or a feature built into the Nexus, those who decided to charge for their mods would need to commit resources to web hosting. In doing that, they would also present to their potential buyers just how much they were willing to invest in the continued success of their product, meaning ongoing development and support. They would need to expect to be popular enough to justify the expense. No nickle and diming microtransaction mods, go big or go home.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited May 2015
    I've never made a complete mod myself, only attempted to decipher enough code to change something small (like clip size, dmg, etc) in a few games like Doom 3 and BF2. Those small attempts took me a week (mainly because I'm not a coder), but it gave me an appreciation for the difficulties of modding, especially after watching some modeling streams on twitch. Making a single model from start to finish looks like an insane amount of work.

It wasn't the internets reaction to paid mods, it was the gaming community specifically. If I was one of those Skyrim modders, specifically the teams of modders who have spent years making mods that seem to rival the vanilla game itself, that push back must have seemed like a slap in the face. I'm not surprised a lot of the big teams have quit.

As for combat, I bought it first. I hadn't heard of NS2 prior to playing combat. Combat's doesn't seem any more or less buggy then ns2, and I think the ui looks fine, if not a little better then ns2's. Since I bought combat first it seems the fact that ns2 and combat shares assets doesn't really bother me. Plus I picked it up on sale. It would be cool if the combat stuff could be integrated into ns2. The weapon selection seems lacking in ns2, though from what I've read so far, that's not likely.

Sorta off topic, but I hope the combat guys keep working to get all the stuff they've shown in game, but at this point, I'd have dropped it.

@Soccer_guy243 I think it's modders telling modders to stop modding (which I hope doesn't happen :/ )
    Well I would very much assume the issues I mentioned are fixed.. I think they were. I didnt bootup combat for a while.
    Im only saying it shouldnt be in release to begin with.

For combat due to it using the same engine as ns2 it accepts similar commands. Its doable to keep a eye on server tickrate and I'll tell you. It was not fine when combat was released.. At all. If this is purely coding or purely servers isnt a real concern. End result was no stable servers, which you will notice in hitreg. (the ones more used to such movement from playing ns2 would notice.. more)

I know many did not have the same UI issues, but on a playerbase that small you cant have any having a problem with basic ui features.
    (hm.. I have half a mind to play combat now, see if folk are on and stuff is fixed)

I am well aware how much time modding costs.. Loads and loads of it. Still shall not stop me from having the opinion I previously stated.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    I think the issue is needlessly infected. Some spoilt brats spewed some hideous vitriol and some of them made threats that should properly earn them a visit from the police. Children are selfish, what else is new?

This does not imply that Valve's implementation of paid-for-modding was a good idea. There's a huge quagmire with quality control (do mods do what they say they do? Do they respect other mods or step on each other's toes? Will mods broken by game updates recieve support?).

I'd like to see paid-for-modding in some form; I just don't know how you'd implement it in a remotely sensible fashion except for the way it has been traditionally implemented (e.g. Valve hiring the best and brightest moders to make a paid-for version of the mod).
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    I hope something is worked out, or all the good mods will probably end up going this way.

So let me get this straight. These large Skyrim mod teams started projects with no good option or expectation of getting paid for them. Then Valve comes along and potentially gives them an option to make some money off of them, but it receives backlash from the users and is removed. And now because it didn't work out, they are threatening to quit doing something they never got paid or expected compensation for in the first place. Who is being childish now?

Also, it's really hard to start charging people for something that they have already been getting for free. It has to be done pretty tactfully. (Well unless you're Comcast and you already have your customers by the balls.)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Zavaro wrote: »
    Depends on what the mod does. If it's horse armor
    Like.. If the horse was made of iron?

You'd have to have an auction for such a priceless thing... B)
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    And now because it didn't work out, they are threatening to quit doing something they never got paid or expected compensation for in the first place. Who is being childish now?

Also, it's really hard to start charging people for something that they have already been getting for free. It has to be done pretty tactfully. (Well unless you're Comcast and you already have your customers by the balls.)

Its not because of the paid mods not working out, I believe its because of the reactions of some of the community.

One example being SkyUI having a donation box, and in all its time its only raised about $500? I might be slightly bitter if people said: "just have a donate box!!!"

You are 100% right that its hard to charge for what people have been getting for free however. The black mesa route might be best, have the old version for free as a demo, and keep working on the new version with extra features and support. That, or maybe one day a new game can arise, with paid mods in some form from the start of its life (in a sensible format).

Its my hope anyway...

edited May 2015
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Its not because of the paid mods not working out, I believe its because of the reactions of some of the community.

No my statement and wording was correct. It didn't work out (aka failed) because of the backlash from users.

Today, after nothing short of an apocalyptic hellstorm of fan fury, they’ve announced they’re taking the store down.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/04/27/valve-takes-down-skyrims-paid-mod-store-after-mass-protests/

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    ... Re-reading your (correct) comment I can confirm I can't grammer. halp.

My only reason for quoting was literally the Who is being childish now line, everything else I agree with you on :(

Sadly relevant