Fantastic Work.

KilleR_OrigiNsKilleR_OrigiNs United States Join Date: 2015-04-19 Member: 203618Members
To be entirely honest, I created this account entirely post something I feel is long over due;

Amazing work. Honestly.

I'm sure it seems rather random, but you see, I played NS2 long ago, and was so incredibly impressed with the game, that it hurt not to want to play it.

The community back then was radioactive, more than just toxic, and was more than off putting when it came to wanting to be good at this fantastic game.

Yet, low and behold, incredible, beautiful improvement; within one round of play i could see the work done by both the developers, and the community. (I played a few more to be sure.) This game has never had more than the one hiccup to me, but now? I proudly use it to rate other games against, and very rarely do they stack up.

I wish I could say as much as you deserve, but unfortunately, I've no computer to do so with for the time being.

Please, keep up that absolutely fantastic work so I can be even more blown away when I try to go competitive with this incredible game.

o7

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    community hasn't changed, gameplay stayed the same.

wb
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wait, there was an update? :p
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yet to meet a community on the internet that isn't labelled as "toxic".
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    don't understand why people think this community is toxic. When you compare it to games like CS:GO or LoL it's really not bad at all.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2015
    bonage wrote: »
    don't understand why people think this community is toxic. When you compare it to games like CS:GO or LoL it's really not bad at all.

I guess it really depends on what server you play on. In CS:GO and LOL you get constantly thrown into games with totally strangers (unless you play with your friends). I guess we all are aware what happens with some ppl when they think they are anonymous.

Back the "beta days" most rounds i played in LOL were actually not that much different from ns2 rounds player behavior wise. But with the game's community and popularity growing this changed drastically.

NS2 however has a pretty small and overall pretty old (based on our average age) community. Most of us play constantly on the same servers, so we got known to each others. Behaving the wrong way gets you "branded" pretty fast as you will met the same people over and over again.

So you end up with that people in ns2 are most of the time really friendly compared to the average person in other games with larger and younger communities.

But there are still some (very few) ns2 servers where the situation isn't that much different to those other games. As they don't have any constant regulars and are basically also just mixed together strangers ;)
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    its fine as long as you avoid the 30+ newb/troll trap servers
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2015
    roxxkatt wrote: »

i dont see the problem with those servers tbh.

the increase in players = a decrease in an individuals ability to greatly sway the round. Its difficult as a lerk when you run into groups of marines 5 or 6 at a time being so fragile. Much easier on smaller servers when theres a greater chance of catching solo players.

nade and gl spam is annoying though
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2015
    the increase in players = a decrease in an individuals ability to greatly sway the round. Its difficult as a lerk when you run into groups of marines 5 or 6 at a time being so fragile. Much easier on smaller servers when theres a greater chance of catching solo players.

I agree that they soften the blow of "carries," however as we all know, these are not the numbers the game was designed around. And for that reason, those servers drive me crazy. clusterf**k is really the most appropriate way to describe my experiences there. Additionally, I find it very frustrating when I'm ready for a game, and I see those 2 servers full up when there's several other servers that have like 8 - 10 players. If the player count was limited, then those players would spill over into other servers, and we'd all have more populated (...better) servers to choose from.

Anyways, I agree w/ OP. NS2 is unparalleled in my opinion.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    avoid those server with 24/42 players above (unless you have to play cuz no server with good ping have people join like me ==')

Also you can imagine : 10 Ohnos or 10 Fade >>>> some time you cant shoot all of them even with your team stick around >> Unballance
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited April 2015

i dont see the problem with those servers tbh.

nade and gl spam is annoying though

has nothing to do with gameplay, has to do with mindset of people that are a certain way
    statistically newer players and dumb people are more likely to join bigger servers
    rookies are fine, but the multiplicative effect of stupid people in a pile is worse than solitary stupid people individually
    this includes people that purchase a mic for the sole purpose of hearing their own voices, people that hammer eject button but refuse to com, and people that try to kick anyone they dont like

in terms of gameplay larger servers are fine, and are interesting because they change gameplay dynamics
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @roxxkatt agree with you on the game play dynamic change. Whether you agree with it or not, or what the original designers had in mind. People play games to have fun, and if fun = 42 player chaos... well at least it tests our your rig to run this game right?

That aside, Extra Credit on Youtube had a fantastic show on Perfect Imbalance which would describe the 42 player servers when you think GL spam is OP. Most importantly, have fun.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

in terms of gameplay larger servers are fine, and are interesting because they change gameplay dynamics

I'd like to officially thank Wooza for boosting and totally messing up my self-confidence each time I play on those servers, after which I regularly think that engaging 4 marines as a lerk/fade is a smart idea in the next semi-competitive game. :-\"
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    They've met aussies on euro servers, not everyone is okey with the BM :)<3
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ots wrote: »
    They've met aussies on euro servers, not everyone is okey with the BM :)<3

We are polite on all servers except our own. When your ping is 400 you ePeen tend not to be inflated (unless you are third on the score even with a ping like that).