What should the team focus adding-on after the wreck.

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2015
    @SPIRIN1224 Welcome to the Natural Selection 2 forum. I guess we would really appreciate crushing skulks with submarines in the future but i guess this belongs into the Subnautica forum.

Therefor moved :D
  • Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    "All About That Base" by Meghan Divor.
    Got my layout with corridoors all done, waiting for the rooms and moon pool to arrive.
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    Bases, yes. Bases get boring after a while. They need to add rooms and maybe decor o3o.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I want base tech. And bots whizzing around to make the base not feel like an abandoned mine.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    bases and the world ....

put map and world option :P
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    edited April 2015
    I kinda want to see more submarines, especially a lot bigger ones, maybe one that serves as true, very deep sea subs. I saw a concept art for one I loved a LOT. Please add it, if not now, then later, to fill the roles the Cyclops cannot. This one could do really, really well for coop, with hatches to deploy up to 4 EXOs, two seamoth hangers, and other stuff, so the players have something truly central, rather then many Cyclops.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/8/81/Pat-presley-sub03b-lorez.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150407205532

Rp purposes could even see special creative areas of this sub to make it more akin to home, such as a break room, and other rest areas such as couches, and monitoring rooms with functions capable of scanning for life forms and other things the Cyclops just does not have.

Also, a lot of the technology is now ingame, so work on this guy could be more on the easy side, beyond things that the devs haven't done, like exo suit deployment zones.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Both, as I voted for it and can't take it back. In reality since there is already groundwork laid out for it, bases...
  • ArbhallArbhall The Earth Join Date: 2015-04-03 Member: 202874Members
    I chose bases. Because we already have a couple subs, and hitting both would be too greedy, at least for me at any rate.
  • PsyBootPsyBoot Brazil Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203391Members
    edited April 2015
    I think they can add a few more things the first such as rooms, docks ...
    28isx0p.jpg
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    I really like the sub concept art.
  • WeirdWizardDaveWeirdWizardDave Edinburgh Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203358Members
    edited April 2015
    For me I think base building is both less well developed and provides greater bang for your development buck. Folks (like me) can spend hours laying out a new extension to their bases in games. But they kind of need to do more and have more components to make it worth doing. Right now there's little point beyond a few rooms mostly just to give you extra storage space. Bases should be a big part of the "progression" mechanic. Building up your base should supplement or replace some of the basic survival gameplay (for example providing automated salt filtering, mushroom farming, maybe even fish farming), these things should be long term goals that take the pressure off some of your time commitments and free you up for more exploration (and indeed more time building an even bigger base, second base or whatever).

Base progression in my mind would be something like this (the names are just to identify the stages one might go through as you expand a base, not actual different sorts of bases)

Bolt hole - provides protection and air

Hub - above plus storage space, basic manufacturing

Resting spot - above plus basic home facilities such as a bed, comfy chair, table,

Home - above plus entertainment facilities such as an decorative aquarium, vid screen.

Research base - above plus extra research facilities such as a library computer, auto lab, comms hub, salt filtration.

Outpost - above plus moon pool for bringing subs indoors, external defenses, advanced manufacturing (automatically take resources from a container and build intermediate stages, multiples, maintain stock etc), basic farming.

Complex - above plus sub manufacturing and repair, advanced farming, everything else.

Just a few ideas quickly tossed down, some practical others perhaps not. Again the stages are just for illustration purposes :) I would like to see some sort of tech tree/need to research to unlock some of the base component but of course you should be able to put them together any way you want.

Sorry for the long post in what is a simple this or that poll ;)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    It all depends on how much time Unknown Worlds want to spend on Subnautica once it has reached the Final Release build.

Personally, I feel that there is sufficient scope to develop the game to its full potential, but the project's bottom line always has the final say.

Rather than trot out my entire Subnautica wish-list for the umpteenth bloody time... Here's the skinny version:

Include functional base design components. Workshops, dedicated store room(s), habitation module, fish farms, aquaponics, defence turrets, observation dome, etc.

Expand the range of technologies and equipment available to the player through research and exploration of the environment.

An option to activate a range of seasonal weather patterns and different sea states that could directly influence base design and location.

High volume seawater purification processor, based on existing Reverse Osmosis technology.

A more sophisticated power generation, transmission and usage control system. Recharging stations for certain vehicle types, equipment and defensive weapons.

Moon pool/submarine docking capability for undersea bases.

The ability to construct and evacuate the water from large-scale underwater bases using existing terrain features and terraforming devices.

Enhanced navigation system with automatic terrain mapping and non-physical waypoint/ nav beacon placement.

Sonar & mapping displays in Cyclops, Seamoth and undersea installations. Threat identification could be an advanced upgrade.

Upgrades for existing vehicles: Increased depth ratings, mineral sensor systems, defensive systems, atmospheric flight capability for Seamoth.

Resource mining in terrain features, rather than re-spawning pickup items.

Ability to relocate and maintain certain plants and other types of sealife in player-defined locations.

Just so the FPS aficionados don't feel like they're missing out entirely: Add a multiplayer option, plus scaleable aggression levels for all hostile sealife.
    Knock yourselves out, guys. :)>-
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    Subs (and other vehicles (where is my plane ?! :D) are essential to the game.

But to made them we need a base to collect components, crafting needed docks, build vehicle and link other structures (like a signal tower) to the AI of the vehicle.

The way submarines are build is not my cup of tea, I prefer a shipyard rather than the holo-builder-thing (without mention the way it is drop in water...).
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
  • Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    It would be nice to see a larger, more complex sub at one point. Bases seem good, but there is a reason we don't use Submerged bases in RL. The Cyclops seems more like a mission vehicle, then a long term home. Maybe a integration. A base dock you can construct that allows the creation of a larger submarine. We do have 2 kilometers of ocean when we are at release, so a big sub would be amazingly cool, preferably with decks and rooms.
  • avatarioavatario fl Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203664Members
    edited April 2015
    Bases are great, I like the ability to create a base at really low depths like 250m as oxygen depletes quickly down there, however I think it feels less like a base and more like the fish dome escalator ride at sea world.

Let's get some open spaces:
    an observation bubble.
    Research lab for the dna stuff.
    Sub submarine dock with airlock
    The dolphin pool from the old tv show seaquest would be great, keep a trained stalker or rockpuncher in there to interact with or just check out.
    A drilling platform or oil refinery for shale to power things, lithium baterries!
    Oil spill biome that requires the platform to enter, like the radiation zone.
    Vertical tunnels for access to your base with an elevator, or teleport drom one of the telesquid mobs in dev down to your base.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    i'm genuinely surprised that "both" was not the winner :P what a mature crowd we have here.
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    I voted both.. but I'd actually suggest getting the world to spawn in in experiemental before doing anything.. I so hate starvin to death. :)
  • BlitzHayatoBlitzHayato Augusta, GA Join Date: 2015-03-29 Member: 202710Members
    Personally, I would prefer the world be expanded. Add deep layers of ocean, pitch black abyss with nightmarish creatures. That being said, I voted bases. We need larger rooms and dedicated areas for storage instead of trying to cram a bunch of stuff into packed tight hallways. Both would be nice, but I'd prefer 1 thing be worked on 100% instead of 2 things at 50%. Better, customizable submarines would be nice, but in a later update.
  • Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
    Formous wrote: »
    It would be nice to see a larger, more complex sub at one point. Bases seem good, but there is a reason we don't use Submerged bases in RL. The Cyclops seems more like a mission vehicle, then a long term home. Maybe a integration. A base dock you can construct that allows the creation of a larger submarine. We do have 2 kilometers of ocean when we are at release, so a big sub would be amazingly cool, preferably with decks and rooms.
    I disagree with this. The Cyclops is MASSIVE, and it took darn near 2 months to create. I think rather than have a bigger sub, there should just be more customization available to the Cyclops, or maybe even the Seamoth. I also disagree with what you said about the cyclops being a mission vehicle, and I think it can also be solved with customization.

Or maybe its just me.
  • maversonmaverson Chicago Join Date: 2015-04-21 Member: 203680Members
    SteveRock wrote: »
    i'm genuinely surprised that "both" was not the winner :P what a mature crowd we have here.
    I was wondering if it would be possible to add the ability for players to respond to other players bug feedback as some of us already know what they are experiencing and may have a work around, or may be able to tell them that they aren't stuck in the ceiling upon docking if they move to the right then forward, etc. if it would shoot them an email or some way to tip them as to a workaround, or explain that a breach is a part of the game when you collide? I often peruse the feedback and wish I could give them tips.
    Formous wrote: »
    I disagree with this. The Cyclops is MASSIVE, and it took darn near 2 months to create. I think rather than have a bigger sub, there should just be more customization available to the Cyclops, or maybe even the Seamoth. I also disagree with what you said about the cyclops being a mission vehicle, and I think it can also be solved with customization.

Or maybe its just me.

Maybe. Largely, I refer to it as a Mission Vehicle because it's all dedicated to function to accomplish movement, transport, and deployment of a seamoth. It also lacks a real use for coop. If we have more people, we at most, at depths, can only have 1 seamoth piloted and everyone else is stuck onboard the Cyclops. Instead, I refer to a larger sub because we have more room, for things like multiple exosuits, and seamoths which allow more people to act when we have to be concerned with pressures. The Cyclops is essentially a very, very cool sub, but it's also a little more on the size of a mission vehicle. if we had a additional, large sub, it could offer more things and customization room then a Cyclops, not to speak of varied areas. Service bays for vehicles, and the like. But this is just me, I prefer to have a large home ship to work from. Bases always end up losing long term appeal to me because it limits travel distance, rather then expands it. When my friends and I talk about it, we talk about being on the move in a Submarine, not talking about bases, where we get grounded. This speaks purely of exploration aspects and interests obviously, but a larger submarine avoids claustrophobia and allows you to go about having some of the new vehicles we may see, without having to modify the Cyclopss' body, which is harder then it sounds.