Disable passive heal tick during combat

d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
edited March 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
I'm sick of dealing 90 damage on a skulk at the start of the round only for the game to decide it's not a kill because it happened during a heal tick.

Any passive heal ticks should be disabled or postponed while taking damage and x amount of seconds after. It's just not something that should effect whether you get a kill or not. A 90hp skulk should die to the same amount of bullets (if landed in reasonably quick succession) whether or not they are landed in a period in which the heal tick occurs. Unless I'm missing something, and that for some reason landing your shots during a point where [timeelapsed] mod [healtickperiod] = 0 should for some reason put you at a disadvantage?

This doesn't include lifeforms with regen. I personally don't mind whether or not it applies in that case, as whatever's best for balancing that upgrade should be used. At least the alien chose to get the upgrade (and in doing so, also chose to forgo another upgrade, and likewise the alien comm made a choice to get shells, also forgoing other buildings and tech-paths), adding another condition that can justifiably effect a lifeforms survivability. But without regen, there's only one condition (whether or not an engagement happens during a heal tick), and one that you can't justify should have an effect on survivability.

Basically what it comes down to is this - 2 engagements that are exactly the same apart from one happened 50 seconds into the game, and one happened 51 seconds in the game shouldn't have two different outcomes.

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Look like Regen is working as intended to be honest. :-?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I agree in the sense that regen should not give the alien additional eHP in combat, because that effectively causes an overlap with carapace.
    However I also feel that regen as is implemented in compmod takes too long to kick in. Whats the waiting period in compmod for regen to take effect, like 2 seconds or something? When i'm slicing with a skulk I like to be able to stop round a corner very briefly to heal for a tick or two.
    Is it unreasonable to want to do this? I still feel it should kick in faster, but this causes issues with skulks regening at a marines feet if he doesnt hit a bite + the marine doesnt land a shot. Perhaps it should take distance from marine into account.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I don't mean the regeneration upgrade. I meant the passive heal you get without regen upgrade. I don't know how the current regen upgrade handles combat penalties, but it's been tinkered with a lot and I trust that the devs know how best to balance that.

The effective hp of any unit changes depending on whether you engage it during the heal tick or not - when it should remain consistent.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    I was under the impression that every player has a personal heal tick that starts when you first take damage. But it sounds like you're saying the heal tick is global? Can somebody confirm this?

Edit: Alright I'm satisfied with the comment by @d0ped0g below.
    I just did a fairly crude test where I went into sandbox on ns_eclipse and stood under the laser. I jumped into the laser and kept an eye on how soon after taking damage I would heal, allowing the skulk to fully heal before jumping again.

The time it took was always different: sometimes immediately after taking the damage (and testing staying in the laser beam confirmed that heal ticks can still happen while taking continuous damage), and sometimes as much as approximately 3/4 second later. I assume if the heal tick only starts after you take damage, that the time it takes for it to kick in should have been the same each time. However, because there were noticeable differences, this leads me to believe that the heal tick is global.

I briefly tried looking around the code to confirm this, but I couldn't find the relevant file.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited March 2015
    The heal tick is global. I think it's silly because it undermines the W1 importance early on
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    mattji104 wrote: »
    The heal tick is global. I think it's silly because it undermines the W1 importance early on

Could you explain your thinking here? If nothing else it underlines the importance of W1. Skulks have 90 eHP. That's 9 bullets doing 10 dmg each and it is also 9 bullets doing 11 dmg each. (8 bullets dealing 11 dmg each would only net 88 dmg, not enough to kill a skulk.) W1 makes no difference unless the skulks have more than 90 eHP.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    d4rkAlf wrote: »

Could you explain your thinking here? If nothing else it underlines the importance of W1. Skulks have 90 eHP. That's 9 bullets doing 10 dmg each and it is also 9 bullets doing 11 dmg each. (8 bullets dealing 11 dmg each would only net 88 dmg, not enough to kill a skulk.) W1 makes no difference unless the skulks have more than 90 eHP.

Like you said, if w1 makes no difference to without w1 if Skulk happens to regen a tick of health, then wouldn't that be a case that shows innate regen during combat can negates the effectiveness of w1?
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015
    d4rkAlf wrote: »

Like you said, if w1 makes no difference to without w1 if Skulk happens to regen a tick of health, then wouldn't that be a case that shows innate regen during combat can negates the effectiveness of w1?

That's the complete opposite of what I said. W1 only makes a difference if the skulk actually regenerates a tick of health during combat.

(I don't blame anyone for not understanding what I wrote though, it's not that clearly written.)
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    Marines have same same sort of thing going on with med packs. To be honest this sort of nerf would considerably impact alien's primal ability to defend their base/structures.
    edited April 2015
    NoM wrote: »
    Marines have same same sort of thing going on with med packs. To be honest this sort of nerf would considerably impact alien's primal ability to defend their base/structures.

I'm trying to make sense of your post and I think I understand what you're getting at - I think you are confused and thought I was referring to the regeneration upgrade. I'm talking about the heal-tick that happens whether you have upgraded regen or not. The feature where every 1-2 seconds or so (i forget the exact frequency) your alien heals a very very very small amount of health.

How many times have you fought a skulk in the early game, before any biomass or before carapace/regen, and you land 90 damage on the skulk, but didn't kill it, even though a skulks effective hp at the beginning of a round should be 90. That's because a heal tick (not from regeneration upgrade) happened during the engagment.

Imagine 2 engagements happening close to the start of a game when there is no regen upgraded. Both engagements are essentially identical, exactly the same in every conceivable way, except one happened half a second earlier/later than the other. E.g. one happens at 30 seconds into the game, another happens 30.5 seconds into the game, and everything goes down exactly the same way. Those two engagements might have two different outcomes when there's absolutely no reason it should.

It's not really a nerf, so much as removing semi-random elements from the game, by way of adding some consistency to a lifeforms effective hp. It certainly shouldn't have a "considerable impact" on the game, and if it is currently making an impact by remaining in the game, considerable or not, it really shouldn't.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ive never noticed this, i just keep on shooting till the skulk is dead.
    but maybe thats a stupid pubplayer thing to say.
    Well, obviously you try and keep shooting until the skulk is dead, but sometimes you get dead first.