Suggestion for Steering the Seamoth

SeabottomSeabottom Denmark Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202392Members
Am I the only who's tired of running out of mouse pad all the time when I have to turn the seamoth a full 180° or more? I suggest that the mouse would be, function-wise, turned into a joystick with a zero'd position and then when you want to go left and move the mouse, the seamoth wold continue to turn left until you return your mouse to the starting position.

Ideally, there should be a key to make a new "zero" position on your mouse in case you got in your seamoth with the mouse on the edge of the pad.
There should also be a setting to turn this way of steering on and off to every players' taste.

I've played battlefield for quite some time now, am I can't fly, and never will fly a plane or a chopper with the mouse solely because they don't have a function like the one I suggest you add to the seamoth. It's impossible to steer or aim 'cause there's never enough mouse pad.
Instead, in Battlefield, I fly with WASD for movement and Arrow keys for pitching/steering.

I also wanted a free-look mode since the cockpit is so big and roomy. I guess you could assign MMB to a free-look function as default?

Comments

• ScanianMooseScanianMoose Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-24 Member: 202526Members
    Free look would be cool, but what I think is needed is either a 1-to-1 synchronisation of mouse and Seamoth movement or a separate option for vehicle mouse sensitivity.
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    In an ideal world, you'd have a six-axis rotational control of it and at least two-axis propulsion, i.e. roll/pitch/yaw + forward and reverse throttle + buoyancy. Strafing seems less important to me, but might be useful for the SeaMoth.

For that control scheme however, something like a joystick or gamepad would be perfect. A decent flight stick has throttle control and two rotational axes (pitch and yaw for our purposes, roll seems more secondary), a good one would add a third rotation axis. You could assign buttons to control buoyancy in either case. A gamepad comes with four axes already, and shoulder buttons and/or triggers that might make good buoyancy, roll or strafe controls.

It seems a really obvious place for joystick/gamepad support, to me. :-)
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    I agree, a control pad, or more specifically, full joystick configuration compatibility would solve the majority of these issues. Would definitely like to see this option to controlling vehicles in conjunction with the mouse and keyboard.

Sounds like the dev team wants to add controller support, but not sure when it will be prioritized. In the mean time you could sort of hack in support by using software like xpadder, at least to get an Xbox 360 controller working while you wait.
  • Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
    Free look would be cool, but what I think is needed is either a 1-to-1 synchronisation of mouse and Seamoth movement or a separate option for vehicle mouse sensitivity.

Yeah, this would be cool, or you could just get a mouse with adjustable DPI. That would save a lot of time and work. I got mine for 8 bucks, its a great mouse and its got 3 dpi settings.
  • SeabottomSeabottom Denmark Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202392Members
    No no no no, I don't want to buy a joystick just to be able to use the seamoth. That would be going in a completely different direction.
    Obviously, it would be great if they added a control scheme so that you could use a joystick or a controller, but if you don't have one, you should at least be able to use your mouse for it instead with the same ease of use as a joystick.
    A joystick has a zero position, a mouse does not unless the developers tells it to.
    And change DPI every time you exit the seamoth? This would be like having a vehicle mouse sensitivity setting. This would still not fix it. The seamoth would move very fast at first but then slow down once the cockpit is tilted, and it just won't work the same. You still have to move your mouse continously to make it turn.
    Seeing as this is a new game built from scratch I don't understand why you guys can't see the same as I do. Having to only move the mouse once for it to turn and then move the mouse back again for it to not turn anymore would make turning way more accurate and you also wouldn't have to lift the mouse all the time.
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    Seabottom, I don't oppose the idea of using a mouse to provide constant pitch and yaw as you suggest. Would be good to have an option to use this mode, because it seems like a sort of novel control scheme, it may turn some folks off.

I would personally still prefer a control pad for vehicles. I'm all for more options. People should always have the option to configure game controls to their liking.
    edited March 2015
    That's what I said from the start. It has to be an option to turn it on or off as not all players would like it.

Thing is that I played a flying sim a long time ago which had this kind of control scheme and I absolutely loved it. Well.. the game sucked, but the controls were awesome and easy to use.

I'm no coder but I reckon that this is something that would take a few hours to implement.
    It really only relies on zero'ing out the mouse upon entering the Seamoth and then save the new mouse XY position in a register and apply it to the steering continuously. I doubt that this would hardly be a performance issue if that's what you're worrying about.
  • Ace_LovesAce_Loves Join Date: 2015-03-10 Member: 201952Members
    I do not understand if my opinion is out side of the norm but I am completely comfortable with Seamoth as I have played with so far. I can control it comfortably and seamlessly. the only issue I find is the entering and exiting of the vehicle as it is quiet disorienting where you appear and it is not noticeably consistent. I agree with Jackalope that such a control scheme may be an option for ease of use, for people used to different control schemes.
    Seabottom wrote:
    you should at least be able to use your mouse for it instead with the same ease of use as a joystick.

That's impossible. One or the other is going to work out better, and there's a reason why you don't see mice used to control vehicles in the real world. Ever.
    It's by no means impossible to implement, and it still doesn't justify that I have to purchase a joystick in order to control my Seamoth the way I want it.
    You misunderstand me. It's not impossible to implement mouse+key controls and have then work okay. But it is impossible to make them work as well as joystick controls. Simply cannot be done.