Scuba diver's first impression

Diver999Diver999 USA Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202539Members
I've played this game for about 8 hours now. There's some aspects that I love and others that really grind my gears.
I'm a scuba diver and also a Navy vet. I worked as an electronics technician in the service.
I'll start with the things that bother me in Subnautica.
Here are my recommendations
Batteries
Allow the electrode used in batteries to be recovered and re-used. This means, when a battery runs out, you get a piece of copper.
Silver AND gold are more conductive than copper...
Allow silver and gold to be used in any application that currently requires copper.
Implement rechargeable batteries with surface solar panels or ocean-current generators.
Bases
Allow for enameled glass to be used in any application that glass can be used.
Allow for lithium to be used in any application that titanium can be used.
Allow glass to be made out of sand.
Diamonds are very plentiful in the real world. Why not let them be crafted into sheets of "glass"?
Other than that, I'd like to start a deep-ocean-mining operation at my base. That would really add some "depth" to the game!

Thanks for reading

Comments

• JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    edited March 2015
    I would endorse some of these suggestions. Sounds like you know your stuff.
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    I've tried to appeal to the use of more realistic concepts on many occasions. For a science fiction game, science isn't much appreciated around here. Having said that, I love your ideas.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Ehh, some of these are good while some of these are the past/ not particularly up my alley :

Good:

Recycle batteries into copper (ehh, it's "ok", I don't see a point implementing this one honestly but that's mostly cause I'm quite a hardcore gamer and don't like making things easy because of "realism" )

We all want mining ;) great idea, it has been mentioned in many forms -- I"m not sure if the devs are going to do it... but we are hoping they will
    Rechargeable batteries, I like it, though batteries should definitely eventually die out after a certain # of recharges

Neutral: ( don't see a point in implementing as it would require time that might not really matter in the long run)

Diamonds---> glass (bleh, realism, I hate it-- and frankly, you seem to have ideas that I don't like simply because they do things that are rather strange in design: tier system: A lot of what you're suggesting is allowing high - tier materials to craft low-tier gear... which I would never do, because I need high tier materials for high tier gear, but I suppose if someone was that lazy and had a huge amount of high tier materials... But again: that boggles my mind as to why they would be out of basic materials if they have so many high tier materials)

Also, I would be very surprised that diamonds would be made plentiful in this game-- it's kind of weird to hear someone say that-- not because they are rare, I know they're more common than that myth suggests-- but because it's more or less out of necessity that something so VALUABLE in the real world be made rare. It just makes sense in a game-- if it's valuable, chances are it's rare

Allow lithium to be used --> titanium objects (this is ok, but, again, titanium is so bloody easy to find I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would give up their precious lithium just for making something as basic as a titanium-required object... but whatever basically, the "tier" issue I mentioned)
    Gold, silver, ---> copper -rquired materials / equipment (it's great to get rid of extra materials if you need to, but again, it's just... there are simply far more interesting and creative things that the devs could work on that would make fans far more excited)

Not so good/ Devs probably won't go back to this system...:
    Well, we actually already had the ability to make glass out of sand, but, the problem was was the tier thing I mentioned: glass is rather important for building equipment, especially larger vehicles etc., and sand was so easy to get,that it made it trivially easy to build these fantastic items. So, as you suggested, I disagree that this should be implemented

Gold ? silver more conductive than copper, I think this wasn't a suggestion by itself, but if it was... I just can't see a point in this one as it overcomplicates things a bit lol-- I understand if we have down the road massive batteries that need highly conductive materials, but that would put a strain on gold / silver as it is already very important in a lot of high tier gear. Just think it makes things more complex than it needs to be

Sorry for the wall
  • ChaosD.AceChaosD.Ace UK Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202553Members
    Diver999 wrote: »
    Batteries
    Allow the electrode used in batteries to be recovered and re-used. This means, when a battery runs out, you get a piece of copper.
    I agree, a refill of acid mushrooms should be all that is necessary. They should also replace the power cell with a lithium ion battery, so that they when they run out, all you need to do is plug them into any power generator to recharge them. After all lithium is pretty common in Subnautica, and lithium ion batteries are amongst the most popular in the world now, so it just makes sense.

No gold is not more conductive than copper. Copper is 5.96×107 and Gold is 4.10×107. Silver is more conductive, coming in at 6.30×107, and it is already used in advanced wiring kit (and computer chips I think.) However you can't find it in the shallows and so you often have to use copper first, I would like to see more use of silver wiring but, if Fusion reactors and Superconductors ever become a thing copper will be necessary (for high temperature super conducting magnets) Copper is also more abundant and easier to procure, or at least it should be in Subnautica.
    Bases
    That's a lot of stalker teeth, it would make big bases like mine tedious and impractical. If the developers were to implement say calcium, in the same for as the other metals (from the limestone chunks) then I could see it working.
    This one is crazy, lithium is not suitable for any construction purpose, it is too soft, much less abundant than titanium, it lights up like a match upon contact with water (and Subnautica is set underwater), it doesn't form lattices large enough (unlike titanium) for useful solid structural pieces, it's place on the periodic table doesn't leave many useful alloys. Titanium and it's alloys, especially it's super-alloys (the materials used in jet engines and such), often far superior than high grade steels, are the strongest and most fracture resistant metals known to man. They are the best candidate for building pressure resistant bases and submarines. It is thus the most likely candidate for the space ship to be made of and hence it makes sense that the scrap metal the player picks up is broken down into Titanium. Almost every other common metal is better for building than lithium, Iron, Aluminium, heck Wood is better.
    They tried this and picking up crazy amounts of sand was often annoying and tedious. Quarts contains plenty of silicon just like sand, and even more importantly, quarts crystals are at the heart of modern computer chips, so it has futuristic sci-fi techniology purposes.
    Diamonds are very plentiful in the real world. Why not let them be crafted into sheets of "glass"?
    Diamonds also only come in small sizes, they cannot currently be fabricated large enough to fit the windows on the Seamoth, Cyclops or the Bases. But that's not the real problem, a sci-fi guy that can fabricate large structures in seconds might not have a problem merging a few diamonds together. The real problem is that in reality diamond is only marginally better than glass when it comes to windows. It is very hard which makes it very brittle. Any pressure that would shatter glass in Subnautica is highly likely to shatter a diamond window just as easily. Diamond would be best relegated to smaller components such as drill tips for digging up ores and rock, and in research tools.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    There's some aspects that I love and others that really grind my gears.
    I'm a scuba diver and also a Navy vet.

Sorry but after reading the above lines and the subject of "Scuba diver's first impressions" I was expecting comments on the actual diving aspect, the vessels and overall impression on the game which is based around diving and underwater exploration.

Your constructive feedback on batteries and bases is fine and valid, just not what I was expecting from a diver's first impression of the game :-S

- Hyp3rion
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I agree with Seldkam.
    I really should probably copy / paste a general "somewhat anti realist" response to other threads that pop up, since we're getting so many :P

I kid-- but I hope it didn't across too harshly
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    ChaosD.Ace wrote: »
    Batteries
    I agree, a refill of acid mushrooms should be all that is necessary. They should also replace the power cell with a lithium ion battery, so that they when they run out, all you need to do is plug them into any power generator to recharge them. After all lithium is pretty common in Subnautica, and lithium ion batteries are amongst the most popular in the world now, so it just makes sense.

No gold is not more conductive than copper. Copper is 5.96×107 and Gold is 4.10×107. Silver is more conductive, coming in at 6.30×107, and it is already used in advanced wiring kit (and computer chips I think.) However you can't find it in the shallows and so you often have to use copper first, I would like to see more use of silver wiring but, if Fusion reactors and Superconductors ever become a thing copper will be necessary (for high temperature super conducting magnets) Copper is also more abundant and easier to procure, or at least it should be in Subnautica.
    Bases
    That's a lot of stalker teeth, it would make big bases like mine tedious and impractical. If the developers were to implement say calcium, in the same for as the other metals (from the limestone chunks) then I could see it working.
    This one is crazy, lithium is not suitable for any construction purpose, it is too soft, much less abundant than titanium, it lights up like a match upon contact with water (and Subnautica is set underwater), it doesn't form lattices large enough (unlike titanium) for useful solid structural pieces, it's place on the periodic table doesn't leave many useful alloys. Titanium and it's alloys, especially it's super-alloys (the materials used in jet engines and such), often far superior than high grade steels, are the strongest and most fracture resistant metals known to man. They are the best candidate for building pressure resistant bases and submarines. It is thus the most likely candidate for the space ship to be made of and hence it makes sense that the scrap metal the player picks up is broken down into Titanium. Almost every other common metal is better for building than lithium, Iron, Aluminium, heck Wood is better.
    They tried this and picking up crazy amounts of sand was often annoying and tedious. Quarts contains plenty of silicon just like sand, and even more importantly, quarts crystals are at the heart of modern computer chips, so it has futuristic sci-fi techniology purposes.
    Diamonds also only come in small sizes, they cannot currently be fabricated large enough to fit the windows on the Seamoth, Cyclops or the Bases. But that's not the real problem, a sci-fi guy that can fabricate large structures in seconds might not have a problem merging a few diamonds together. The real problem is that in reality diamond is only marginally better than glass when it comes to windows. It is very hard which makes it very brittle. Any pressure that would shatter glass in Subnautica is highly likely to shatter a diamond window just as easily. Diamond would be best relegated to smaller components such as drill tips for digging up ores and rock, and in research tools.
    I usually disagree with @Seldkam because I am pro realism and he is anti realism, but this time I agree with him. You perfectly explained why the suggestions are bad.
    I don't really recall disagreeing with you often, but it's a shame that we do :P I may be american but I have a German citizenship lol
  • LolroflcakeLolroflcake Canada Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202371Members
    edited March 2015
    Now I've got a mental image of some poor bastard actually attempting to construct a base out of lithium ... underwater. It is, if nothing else, funny in a Looney Toons sort of way.
  • Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Ehh, some of these are good while some of these are the past/ not particularly up my alley :

Not so good/ Devs probably won't go back to this system...:
    Well, we actually already had the ability to make glass out of sand, but, the problem was was the tier thing I mentioned: glass is rather important for building equipment, especially larger vehicles etc., and sand was so easy to get,that it made it trivially easy to build these fantastic items. So, as you suggested, I disagree that this should be implemented

While I understand it made high-tier things really easy to get, it makes very low-tier items too hard. At least change the recipe, 3 quartz for one glass? I'd go for 3 quartz for 2 or 3 glass, that would make more sense.
  • ChaosD.AceChaosD.Ace UK Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202553Members
    Gr4phene wrote: »
    I usually disagree with @Seldkam because I am pro realism and he is anti realism, but this time I agree with him. You perfectly explained why the suggestions are bad.

Thanks, you know.... Your name reminds me of something, graphene, carbon nanotubes are super strong and far more electrically conductive than even silver. Perhaps the player can convert diamond (since it is just carbon) into carbon nanotubes, for hyper strength materials and carbon nanotubes wiring for advanced machinery.