Feedback from today's Public Playtest thread!

2»

Comments

• 11rex1111rex11 USA Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201673Members
    Hoopfish cannot be cooked
    qsRY4D6.png

Extreme bloom effect very apparent, only appears from the outside of the pod, flashlight on or off makes no difference. Running Crossfired Radeon 7870's with Win 7 64bit.
    Hx77tpj.png

Constructor locking up and becoming unusable in the pod, also requiring a brand new game and save to be created.
    Reproduce via:
    Open constructor menu
    Back away from constructor till it closes up
    Click on an item to craft while still backed away
    Constructor will craft item but it will leave the constructor closed and emitting particles like it was using its lazers to craft something

This has been verified by several people.
    I have not tested on a Cyclops, or any other area.

Bugged/stuck fish in various places. Occurs everyplace around the world, doesn't seem to be dependent on location. Two images here

Possible Graphical issue, looks almost like it would when looking at something from under water IRL except from the smoke coming from the pod being cut out. However still not sure if the double render is on purpose or not, it acts strangely. Running Crossfired Radeon 7870's(and updated drivers) with Win 7 64bit.
    BYIc0dx.png

Another Graphical/UI glitch, self explanatory. This bug also happens with just about any item that has text over it while its on the ground. Text does go away after a bit of time, like it would if it was on the ground.
    9DyW3j2.png
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
  • 11rex1111rex11 USA Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201673Members
    Couple suggestions to add in:

Cyclops specific:
    • The human access doors for the Cyclops should act like the ones for the Seamoth, they are closed when you arent near them and open when you are.
    • Lights on the bottom of the Cyclops so that if you exit, there are lights shining on the sea floor or down into the depths. These allow you to both work under it without the need of a flashlight, as well as adds in the feeling of being horrified that even the bright lights of the cyclops cant show you the scary things deep below the surface, if you're floating over a deep chasm they shine into the deep unknown.
    • A sonar system that shows you what is above, below, to the sides of and behind your sub. Possibly upgradeable range or an upgrade in itself? I often find myself hitting things I had no way of knowing were there without having to have been outside of the sub.
    • A way of repairing a sunk and rolled on its side sub. When the sub is on its side, its impossible to navigate around inside due to the doorways being too skinny while they're sideways. One can end up trapped inside with no way out like this as well.
    Survival gameplay specific
    • Disposable/dropable dive weights to drop down faster. We have a fast way to go up, why not one to go down?
    • Method of crafting food/water in bulk. When crafting large amounts of food to store, I spend so much time tediously making fish/water after fish/water that it becomes a game of grinding. While being more real, it becomes boring and immersion breaking.
    • Hunger/thirst either needs to last longer or food/water needs to be more easily acquired. I find that I'm actually spending much much more time finding resources for food and water to go exploring that I do actually exploring. The current limit that I run into is spending way too much time looking for food. I documented and recorded a four hour play session and spent 50% of my time getting food/water/salt, 30% finding resources, 5% crafting(food/water), and 15% actually exploring. A lot of the time I found that I spent time looking for food and finally getting it, only to eat all of it making up for what I lost trying to find it. It seems that on average the food/water cost to find food/water is very close to what the food/water gives you back. (Of course depending on your luck, what you actually consume and its food/water value).
    • A new item that allows for more storage space that doesnt take up any current inventory space, and goes with you, maybe dive bags, or as suggested by another player who was in the play testing session, saddle type bags for the seamoth. Cubes used to be able to give a bit more space but it was clunky having to drop them, open them, and then pick them back up again. They also took up a good amount of space making carrying tanks and other equipment difficult and not worth it, now they take up a 4x4 space and only store a 4x4 space worth of inventory, making them completely useless to take around. I suggested another seamoth type vehicle that was slow, could stay down a decent amount of time, and had a large inventory that could be removed(Like Cube storage slots) or docked and then transferred into the subs on board storage lockers. Making hundreds of trips in and out of the sub gets really tediously boring and annoying when you're trying to craft something huge that requires more than one or two full inventories of items. The problem persists when you're trying to prepare for a voyage and are bulking up on fish and salt.
    • As suggested by another person that was at the open play testing session, cubes could be able to be floated to the surface via some method, with a beacon. That way you can go down with a bunch of these beacon/storage cube things, fill them up and let them float to the surface so that they can be found and picked up later. This give more storage space in a sense, and allows players to stay down longer to explore and look for items.
    • Color codable/nameable/iconable beacon points. Having more than 4 beacons deployed suddenly becomes a game to figure out which one is the one you want. There really needs a way to be able to differentiate them.
  • Terik92Terik92 Spain Join Date: 2015-02-05 Member: 201219Members
    Sorry, I couldn't post this before:

Bug with Dive Reel when it's used from saved inventory. If you attach it and then you died, the Dive Reel still attach, even through the lifepod.

Another one with the Dive Reel. The rope can pass through the rock if it's thin enough.

Bug and feedback with Cyclop and floaters. Floaters pull the Cyclop to the surface. Doesn't work if it's flooded.

Floaters should be able to take the Cyclop to the surface when flooded to make easier to get inside and repair. Maybe they could be attached to it to get something like this:

YpXuOZJ.jpg

Issue with the Cyclop when it drown or drain the water from inside. In the video the cyclop was already drained:

This is just for fun (and maybe a bug, XD)

I was able to ride a GarryFish in the surface, XD

And finally a suggestion I made during the playtest. Hunger and thirst should decrease slower when we are outside the water (Lifepod, island, Cyclop, bases...). If we aren't swimming, then we aren't consuming so many energy. It doesn't have sense that if you stay in the lifepod at night, you'll be as thirsty as if you were swimming outside.

Minor suggestion with the Lifepod:
    If we you the ladder at the side, we should climb to the top of the lifepod, not get inside it directly.

Thanks for the playtest, =)
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2015
    As noted here in other posts, I also think batch crafting and a limited amount of stacking on certain small items (salt especially) would greatly reduce the sense of tedium many are expressing. In my opinion if you'd rather not focus on collecting food then you always have freedom mode, but the food depletion rate could probably be tweaked just a bit more in overall help of mitigating the "grind". I wonder if batch crafting, especially of food, would lessen the frustration with depletion rates even though it is not directly related. I think many deem water depletion as good or more acceptable now. It does seem weird to me though...one would think thirst would become a more pressing desire and need (based on activity/exertion) before food would. Should they not be flipped?

It's helpful to note in balance consideration that first time players are always going to find the depletion rates "faster" during the bewilderment of getting used to a brand new world and environment while simultaneously seeing food is already 50% down and falling at a good rate. It took me a decent amount of playthroughs before prioritizing by familiarity kicked in and slowed the survival needs down more. Might the early game hints/tutorials be made a little more helpful in this regard (example: pod onboard computer scans the surrounding area and voice over gives you a generalized msg along the lines of, "here's a few basics of what I have found that you can use for initial food, water and crafting resources before you plunge in) - or - might the initial harshness of discovering most of it out on your own actually become one of the "endearing" parts of the game that we all reminisce fondly over since we cursed it so much in the beginning? :) Maybe regular survival is made more friendly but, in addition to perma-death, hardcore turns off all hints and tutorials, explicitly welcoming players (in menu selection) who enjoy the challenge and reward of figuring it all out on their own from the get go. Full immersion. :) In Hardcore mode the onboard computer scans the area and then pleasantly informs you "Prediction model comfirmed, you will likely die in under 10 minutes - good luck and have fun out there".

I think the female sounding voice over from the intro would make a great initial on board AI in your pod, helping you to cope while providing some comic relief through pleasant understatements now and again. :D
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Cyclops and driving other large vehicles:

- It can be very confusing and annoying sometimes to drive these huge cumbersome vehicles. I have suggested in another thread that I would like to see a 3rd person camera option, but I understand why some people think this wouldn't be so good.
    - Instead of 3rd person camera, I would love to see some more hi-tech stuff going on inside the helm of the large subs (or hell, even the smaller subs).
    - Something like having video screens along the floor/walls/etc so that when you start driving, the external cameras turn on and you get a video feed through to the screens inside. Effectively it will look like you're standing in the middle of a glass room looking out through the water.
    - This would allow us to see below (VERY key to being able to dive properly in a huge sub like this) and perhaps in a limited side view, as well as the current forward view.

Think along these lines: